Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 78 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 - LOI Ramifications

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufil View Post
    Sure we have a natural quarantine in Ireland, its called Leitrim.
    Roscommon has more claim to that title.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    At least they have (stolen) sheep in Roscommon.

What's the difference between Leitrim and Tír na n-Óg?

Tír na n-Óg is a real place.

3. Thanks From:

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    So a person from the North has it. Travelled from Italy via Dublin. Surely passed on somewhere along the line.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    On a more series note, I spoke to my doctor about the new virus and he told me that currently in Ireland about 100 people die a year from the common flu, so this was to be expected. I thought only those with underlying health problems and older folk died from it, but no, he said there are a number of young people with no previous health problems who succumb to it.

The best advice ever is good hygiene, clean hands and clean any handles and knobs, shared keyboards etc.
    What surprises me is the lack of money cleaning facilities available here. Who cleans the credit card machine before and after you or the ATM machine?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    I think i could have contracted this virus.

I sleep all day and drink all night.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    On a more series note, I spoke to my doctor about the new virus and he told me that currently in Ireland about 100 people die a year from the common flu, so this was to be expected. I thought only those with underlying health problems and older folk died from it, but no, he said there are a number of young people with no previous health problems who succumb to it.

The best advice ever is good hygiene, clean hands and clean any handles and knobs, shared keyboards etc.
    What surprises me is the lack of money cleaning facilities available here. Who cleans the credit card machine before and after you or the ATM machine?
    I'm going to have a rant here as infection control is a key part of the day job....

Seasonal flu is risky for people with respiratory issues like asthma, the elderly, paediatrics, bariatrics and pregnant women (or any immuno comprimised). The uptake of the flu jab is very poor in Ireland and yet seasonal flu has a far higher mortality rate than this Covid-19. 650K people its estimated that die worldwise from 'common' flu and not a peep, in comparison to 80k cases for this with 2% case fatality rate (though the figures will be revised daily). It's all very useful in testing containment contingency plans but the level of panic is ott with shops in Italy being cleared out as people stockpile.

The integrity of disposable type masks last 3-5 minutes, they are worn in Operating Theatres, for example, to protect the healthcare workers from splashes or skites of body fluids during procedures, not to protect the patient. Many surgical staff choose not to bother with masks. The only ones that are any use for protecting against micro-organisms are bespoke fitted respirator kinds and are north of €100.The entire frontline staff of the NHS were fitted up during the 2009 H1N1 pandemic where up to 20% of the world population were infected. Respirators are not being issued this time round which is an indication in real terms of how worried health officials are relative to the doomsday headlines of the gutter press today.

Infection control on this needs to focus on handwashing and people avoiding touching nose/mouth or not eating and drinking before washing hands. How many of us would wash hands every time we buy a pint before drinking it yet not knowing where the barstaff have been or washed hands after being on the bog? Who takes shoes off before walking in to their home after being in pub/public toilets or walking the streets picking up microscopic human, avian and animal fecal matter - and then the kids are rolling around the same floor.

Governments need to be seen as doing something and if they say 'just wash yer hands' joe public thinks that that is a cheapskate cop out and are covering up a lack of preparedness. Spanish flu killed millions at a time when there was little mass migration, if a similar strain were to happen today then yes close borders, limit aviation, declare marshal law. This is a sniffle in comparison. No need to cancel LoI games but if people want to be extra careful then avoid shaking hands and have alcohol gel with them and have some manners and cover nose and mouths when coughing or sneezing.

To hear of abuses given to members of the Chinese community is disgusting or even that sales have dropped off for Chinese food outlets is a mass hysteria - driven mostly by tabloid media scaremongering for a dramatic story!!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 28/02/2020 at 12:15 PM.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts

No shortage of money laundries in the South Armagh area!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    o hear of abuses given to members of the Chinese community is disgusting or even that sales have dropped off for Chinese food outlets is a mass hysteria - driven mostly by tabloid media scaremongering for a dramatic story!!
    I never trust the media with things like this , they relish in creating mass hysteria. All I know is the first chance the authority’s get they will call off games. I’d say a huge indication of how the government will respond is how they handle the Paddy’s day parade. It’s a huge call financially to cancel it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    I blame sky news and the 24 hour rolling news cycle....on the hour updates as humanity faces extinction.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    In fairness, pandering to human panic goes back a lot further than Sky News.

Daniel Defoe wrote "A Journal of the Plague Year" in 1722, 57 years after the last plague outbreak in Europe. The general feeling was that plague was overdue, so Defoe wanted to cash in as most people alive in 1722 had no experience of the plague. Once he'd panicked enough people with his account of the plague, his plan was a sequel on how to survive it.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    No shortage of money laundries in the South Armagh area!!!
    Sure even them boyos don't touch the ATM keys, they use a fork to lift money, machine and the lot out of the wall.
    Aon, dó, trí, bhí mé i mo luí, thit mé den leaba, he! he! he!

16. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    579 Posts
    I work in an admin capacity in a inner-city educational business, and had an unpleasant interaction with one of our lecturers who kept asking what we were planning to "do" with our Chinese and Italian students (all of whom haven't been home in months, or years). Like they could spontaneously develop coronavirus at any moment. Mgt settled for a response of "Thank you for your message, we are following HSE guidelines", which was a lot more measured than what I wanted to reply with!

They should have let that Italy match go ahead. Ever since that became a story - where, again, an influx of Italians was treated as a serious risk to public health, yet not enough of a risk to actually bar them entering the country - there's been a measured increase in scaremongering.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    There must be a few incidents like this as similarly an Italian co-worker of a pal was sent home and she hasnt been in Italy for months and not even from Northern Italy. There is a significant Italian population, among other nationalities in Dundalk between Ebay and National Pen and common sense seems to have prevailed. At least I havent heard of staff being told to stay at home. DkIT has quite a number of Chinese students also and simply sent out an email on recognising symptoms. A reasonable response! I hope that anyone who is asked to stay home is getting a nice unexpected break and paid for it.

I know it slightly contradicts what Ive said above in terms of 'quarantine' but during the foot and mouth outbreak in North Louth years ago the resources deployed to protect livestock was nuts. Kinda funny story, Dundalk were playing Monaghan United at the time and fans were stopped from entering the ground for the game - so us Dundalk fans just congregated in the field overlooking Gortakeegan and watched the game with probably the best view possible, with a herd of cows curiously looking on and didnt cost a cent!

19. Thanks From:

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Recently departed Harry Martin used the same vantage point to view a subsequent match for much the same reason. A minutes applause is planned for the 56th minute tonight in Tallaght to mark his passing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Possibly foot in mouth reasons rather than foot and mouth...

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    579 Posts
    First case confirmed in the Republic proper. I assume Paddy's Day events will be kaput. It would make zero sense to continue with them after setting the precedent of calling for the rugby game to be postponed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    First case confirmed in the Republic proper. I assume Paddy's Day events will be kaput. It would make zero sense to continue with them after setting the precedent of calling for the rugby game to be postponed.
    There'll be rather fewer Italians at the parades! I think that's an over-reaction to what may be an isolated case, but they'll need to make those kinds of decisions fairly soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    No harm to have one Paddy's Day without oceans of vomit and multiple arrests by both the Fashion and Real police. Seriously though, strong memories of 2001 coming back. All we had then was a spongy mat with some kind of 'disinfectant' to stamp your feet in. Are we a bit more prepared as a country for this?

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    https://extra.ie/2020/02/29/must-see...onavirus-fears

Fake news and a indication of things to come.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CorribsideSteve View Post
    No harm to have one Paddy's Day without oceans of vomit and multiple arrests by both the Fashion and Real police. Seriously though, strong memories of 2001 coming back. All we had then was a spongy mat with some kind of 'disinfectant' to stamp your feet in. Are we a bit more prepared as a country for this?
    Weirdly, whatever stage of my life I was at when all that was going on, the stampy sponge thing became ingrained. 20 years on I still occasionally half expect to see a little tray of disinfectant to splash through if I go through a gate or over a stile when out for a walk.

28. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 78 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast