Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 24 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 - LOI Ramifications

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagull View Post
    From the Indo, don't think it's paywalled.
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-39164629.html
    That FAI document is a cut and paste job from other leagues. Where on earth did they get the idea that they need 20 ballboys!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    It is encouring to see the FAI make an effort and explore options to get football going again. I cant see it being vialbe but still its more professional to have a discussion on the matter and have the clubs involved in the decision. Its a good sign for the future.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    TBH it's a shambles.

Players training in groups of five and maintaining social distancing. What's that going to do to standards? We will have a subset of fans paying a fraction of the normal price to watch worse football in empty venues.

They never address the elephant in the room that football is a contact sport.

Also, the HSE decide who gets tested, not the FAI so knowing who is infected is impossible, especially given many show no symptoms.

Any number of other holes in it but there's better things to be at.

It's not remotely good enough, let's hope it's just a bit of naivety from the new regime. But I find it very worrying indeed.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    TBH it's a shambles.

Players training in groups of five and maintaining social distancing. What's that going to do to standards? We will have a subset of fans paying a fraction of the normal price to watch worse football in empty venues.

They never address the elephant in the room that football is a contact sport.

Also, the HSE decide who gets tested, not the FAI so knowing who is infected is impossible, especially given many show no symptoms.

Any number of other holes in it but there's better things to be at.

It's not remotely good enough, let's hope it's just a bit of naivety from the new regime. But I find it very worrying indeed.
    I don’t find the proposals practical or cost effective, it’s just encouraging to see a debate on the matter. It’s better to have conference calls with stakeholders and proposals to discuss rather decrees issued from the football reich chancellor heir Delaney.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    I'd say a fair few players wouldn't be overly happy with those proposals either. Are they free to walk away from their contracts in that case? I don't know if they could argue that there'd be a health risk and so the terms have changed.

I agree it's good to see debate alright. The hope now is the right course of action is taken - and it probably needs to be a unanimous decision. But I don't think those proposals are feasible tbh.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    These proposals are not feasible in the current climate but who knows how the landscape will look at the start of September. If social distancing is here to stay are all forms of contact sport out until a vaccine is found? That could be 2 to 3 years away before a vaccine is a. found, b. mass produced and c. government procured and distributed. At some stage there will have to be exceptions to social distancing which will increase risk but as long as that risk is managed to an acceptable level. I don't see any harm in exploring a way forward in a few months time - the sooner they can agree something the sooner they can start planning.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki.../--996619.html

Things like this though are reasons why it's good to explore all options. Looking into playing behind closed doors leads to looking into streaming games which had lead to a company enquiring about the rights to do the streaming.

Personally I don't think games behind closed doors is a runner at all but it had to be looked into.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Another thing with playing behind closed doors is clubs will take a massive hit on programs that they produce.I just can see clubs taking a financial hit on programs as fans will only buy a program for woteva game they attend. I think the logisitical step is to write off the season completely and wait till the winter imo.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Another thing with playing behind closed doors is clubs will take a massive hit on programs that they produce.I just can see clubs taking a financial hit on programs as fans will only buy a program for woteva game they attend. I think the logisitical step is to write off the season completely and wait till the winter imo.
    To try force structure on a completely fluid situation is idiotic and a recipe for disaster.

I'll use this example to illustrate why
    If the government came out and said right we want to do 10k tests a day admitting that it's optimistic but only managed to do 9k would you prefer that or they be "realistic" and say they want 4k but manage to do 5k but can't go any higher because they were realistic so didn't allow for capacity to facilitate the optimistic outcome.

I know which I'd prefer and it's the same principle here
    Last edited by RathfarnhamHoop; 29/04/2020 at 3:34 PM.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    How much money do clubs realistically make on programmes anyway?

I certainly wouldn't be writing off the season because people can't buy a match programme.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Football without fans.........etc

The novelty of streaming - it will pass fast i reckon.

Was it 2003 when we played 2 seasons in one year? Could be a runner.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    For FHFC virtually every income stream is either badly hit or else completely wiped out by behind closed doors. Even our fundraisers involve the majority of money being returned on match nights. We do make a fair bit from the programme BTW. Not huge but not insignificant either in a league where every little helps. And no programme could mean programme advertisers seeking refunds.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    The issue of season ticket holders hasn’t been addressed. The LOI won’t get away with giving two fingers like that GAA are looking set to do. It would represent a decent sum of cash for most clubs if they had to offer refunds or free season tickets for the following season if fans can return.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    https://www.stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=8693

This is great stuff by Pats

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    To try force structure on a completely fluid situation is idiotic and a recipe for disaster.

I'll use this example to illustrate why
    If the government came out and said right we want to do 10k tests a day admitting that it's optimistic but only managed to do 9k would you prefer that or they be "realistic" and say they want 4k but manage to do 5k but can't go any higher because they were realistic so didn't allow for capacity to facilitate the optimistic outcome.

I know which I'd prefer and it's the same principle here
    If they said 10k and could only do 5k, I would think little of their planning and organisation skills. Realistic projections are not the same as pessimistic ones.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    https://www.stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=8693

This is great stuff by Pats
    Great initiative , the appointment of a community officer has been a game changer for us.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    If they said 10k and could only do 5k, I would think little of their planning and organisation skills. Realistic projections are not the same as pessimistic ones.
    As anyone that has worked on a large scale project will tell you, results don't always reflect the planning in place or work put in, external factors have a huge impact.

Nobody on earth, actually not an exaggeration, knows what a realistic projection for any of this. Talk of cancelling the season is pessimistic at best.
    Last edited by RathfarnhamHoop; 29/04/2020 at 7:10 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    Great initiative , the appointment of a community officer has been a game changer for us.
    Position should be part of the licensing criteria, it's a really underrated position.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    See FAI Development Officers are helping out in the community delivering food etc. Great move very similar to what a few officers in the local GAA clubs are doing also.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    New work roster landed in today, with it was a letter from HR saying that they are looking in to ways to cover childcare, among other things, for frontline workers for the rest of the year!!! I know it is at least in part contingency planning but if a public health service thinks it is necessary to plan for that far ahead well it puts the resumption of sport in a bit of context. Especially when part of the plan is to very regularly swab staff so it will leave little lab capacity for non essential activity. Unless of course the clubs/associations can source labs to take on the job, its possible if not probable that UEFA could centralise some system for this. If games go ahead they could all resemble the 2nd half of the Disgrace of Gijón (albeit I was too young to remember it first hand!).

Page 24 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast