Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 20 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 - LOI Ramifications

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Club bars like Bohs will also be a huge no no for the foreseeable future. I saw a interesting but disturbing fact on NBC news , they reckon an average of 40k Americans die every year of flue and that has a vaccine. They reckon covid 19 is twice as aggressive as influenza. This will hang around for a long time yet.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Oh there's on doubt but that this is real alright. I saw analysis of rip.ie stats there and the estimate was that twice as many people will die in Ireland this month as would normally be the case. And that's with a lockdown in place since the middle of March. Granted, half of the deaths attributable are in nursing homes and while any death from this is tragic, the life expectancy in nursing homes wouldn't be great anyway (30 months from first admission on average, I've seen), so many would have been 2020 deaths anyway. But still, a doubling of the death rate during a lockdown is pretty notable. And many people who recover may well have lung illnesses which could shorten life expectancy, or Nick Cordero, a Canadian actor who had his leg amputated yesterday as a result of complications from covid.

This thing's a *******, and the likes of Gemma O'Doherty and John Waters taking the state to the High Court to get restrictions lifted should be jailed. O'Doherty, of course, won't even take a vaccine if/when one comes out because she doesn't believe in them. ****ing idiot.

3. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    There is no chance of any LOI resumption in June/July, closed doors from August onwards will not be economically feasible so LOI is probably done for 2020 unless a vaccine appears from nowhere.

I think the FAI/Clubs/PFAI are awaiting to see what decisions are taken across Europe countries & UEFA but decisions are a long-way off there aswell. Unless the government continue to subsidise clubs/wages then contracts will be breached and the players will have to accept it if they want clubs still in business to re-employ them hopefully sometime in 2021
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    The FAI will need clarity on how this years 20/21 uefa competitions will be handled and how we decide who takes part in next years 21/22 european football, their is a lot of money at stake.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    This is so unprecedented. For some reason I thought that this happened before but in WW II it was a lot of country clubs that didnt play in LOI ie Sligo Rovers while across the water there was no footie. I have a feeling that this could take more than a year to sort out imo..
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    The thoughts of not seeing Richmond or any ground for a year is shocking I will relish that scent of cheap curry sauce in air when we are back.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    https://www.thejournal.ie/pubs-not-o...Apr2020/?amp=1

Could just be speculation or it could be the government drip feeding how they intend to set their stall out. I reckon something has to be done for the Sports, Pub, Hotel, Restaurant industry’s. It would be a massive call for any government to put six figures on to the live register and essentially shut down long standing businesses for good. There is a lot of self righteous talk about how unimportant these sectors are at the moment but it’s hundreds of thousands of people’s livelihood at stake. I think the government has to create regulations for all this to allow these businesses to operate and reopen in a few months time.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    If you want an example of why i love the loi , one of the rovers match day volunteers anthony mcdonald has just died of covid 19...a go fundme appeal has raised 15k in a few hours for his family. We are all a big family.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    If you want an example of why i love the loi , one of the rovers match day volunteers anthony mcdonald has just died of covid 19...a go fundme appeal has raised 15k in a few hours for his family. We are all a big family.
    100% over 18k now, donations from fans and players from across loi, incredible thanks to all who donated. Anthony was heavily involved in the junior hoops and made the match day experience so much better for young fans with his time and effort. A Rovers man through and through but more importantly a family man who loved bringing his kids to games.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    For all our differences I think LoI fans have more in common with each other irrespective of rivalries! We can all empathise with problems faced especially financially. It is a real community, if a bit niché, and bar the small minority of numbskulls that try to damage it its a source of pride - we tend to hate other football teams but not hate eachother. A spot of bickering on football fora is about the height of it but gets set aside at difficult or sad times. Obviously I didnt know Anthony but he sounds like many club volunteers - dedicated and generous, giving up his time for others. He will undoubtedly be missed, RiP.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 21/04/2020 at 5:24 AM.

16. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Anthony was one of those faces you knew from down the years, he was there through thick and thin and of course very recognizable too! May he RIP.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Fergal Bowers on twitter reporting that no event with a capacity more than 5k will be given a licence until at least the end of August.

So at the very least, that presumably means a restriction on Tallaght/Turner's Cross?

Edit - link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    I’d imagine it’s 5000 max once social distancing is implemented.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    If only season ticket holders were allowed in I think we'd all be ok, but unfortunately we all have eejits who Have to sit in a certain seat with their mates to enjoy a match, personally, and I think most would agree, I'd go to a stadium on me own to watch a match at the minute, I'd even go to the coldest stadium in the world, The Carlisle, to see some football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    The 5000 people thing is a complete red herring for the LOI really,its not gonna be the reason why football is played or not here,it would also look pretty bad if every other social activity was banned and we had football going on......
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Which theoretically can be done - stricter limit, serious amount of organisation and cooperation frim fans needed but could be better than no football at all. The tendency for centre scection of The Shed in Oriel is a perfect example where you can have 2-3 people standing in a seating space for 1. That habit would have to stop with the whole ground used, full compliance and acceptance as making the best of a bad situation. Feasable? I dont know, possible? I think so when the alternative is the decimation of the keague financially otherwisel.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 22/04/2020 at 10:22 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Would be great to get going again, at least the fact they are discussing this means that a restart is on the cards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020...l-be-scrapped/

I’ve seen another worrying report that if Uefa competitions don’t come to a conclusion then they won’t realise prize money. That would leave Dundalk, Rovers, Pats & Cork out of pocket big time.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...s-out-21897998

Meanwhile we have had to layoff staff, Mr K obviously isn’t hopeful of any more football in 2020.

https://www.stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=8689
    Last edited by D24Saint; 22/04/2020 at 10:53 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020...l-be-scrapped/

I’ve seen another worrying report that if Uefa competitions don’t come to a conclusion then they won’t realise prize money. That would leave Dundalk, Rovers, Pats & Cork out of pocket big time.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...s-out-21897998

Meanwhile we have had to layoff staff, Mr K obviously isn’t hopeful of any more football in 2020.

https://www.stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=8689
    That's not prize money that's a separate pot of money they're talking about there that UEFA dish out

Worrying that pats have had to do that but not completely surprising I don't think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    That's the solidarity funding I presume?

That could be a bigger issue - it'd affect every Premier team.

Page 20 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast