Page 17 of 78 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 - LOI Ramifications

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I dont disagree with you, but I do feel when the lockdown is lifted to whatever extent there will still be restrictions and they are very likely to include sports gatherings.
    Yes, that's very plausible. Maybe we go back to the way it was (nostalgia, eh!), with gatherings of more than 500 banned, and pubs closed but restaurants/cafes open if they have social distancing.

But of course that's still far from ideal. Not least because I'd kill for an evening down the local at this stage.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    348 Posts
    Dr Chris Luke Emergency Medicine Consultant tells
    @drivetimerte he’d ‘be very surprised’ if large gatherings like the GAA Championship would be permitted within the next 12 months'

We'll be lucky to get a season next year listening to that........
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    @drivetimerte he’d ‘be very surprised’ if large gatherings like the GAA Championship would be permitted within the next 12 months'

It could just be his personal opinion. I’d agree with him to a point, it’s hard to see a packed Croke Park anytime soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Yes, that's very plausible. Maybe we go back to the way it was (nostalgia, eh!), with gatherings of more than 500 banned, and pubs closed but restaurants/cafes open if they have social distancing.

But of course that's still far from ideal. Not least because I'd kill for an evening down the local at this stage.
    I feel your pain!! When not on duty we're on call so even a few cans at home isnt possible - maybe a good thing or id be in and out of the offfe far too often lol

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Things don't go back to normal until enough of the population has immunity either through recovering from the virus or through vaccination.

Vaccination is a long way away, and the current approach to this virus is to limit transmission as much as possible...which simply delays the point at which enough of the population has immunity.

Restrictions of some kind to continue for a long long time. Sports events would likely be some of the last to get the green light too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

There's an awful lot of "the war will be over by Christmas" views about this (not just on here)
    I think you're probably right about this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    Can I just say, this is the best thread on Foot.ie for yonks. I love the need to crunch numbers, any numbers!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    After what length of time does it become the case that the 2020 season is just written off. If that can indeed become the case (what would happen European places for next year for example if that happens?)

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,230 Posts
    If the LoI season is written off, enough other seasons will be written off that UEFA will probably step in and make a call on European spots.

At this stage, Europs itself is under threat too of course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    After what length of time does it become the case that the 2020 season is just written off. If that can indeed become the case (what would happen European places for next year for example if that happens?)
    I think that is the unsaid thinking when talking about what would be deemed the minimum number of games to declare the league table final. If there is no meaningful resumption to the 2020 season but there is a need to nominate clubs to the various European Comps (taking it that things could be normal enough to consider European football by then) well how do national associations and UEFA go about it? Can you just imagine the legal sh!tstorm when the financial differences between CL and EL qualification come in to play. Someone is going to end up either just sucking it up or UEFA come up with financial sweetners - considering the already battered finances.

There will be undoubtedly suggestions of some play-off type system to decide, league tables as they stand determine qualification, my own preference of club coefficients the deciding factor. Lets assume that 2021 UEFA competitions go ahead but with little conclusion to 2020 seasons - any additional possibilities? If it's not to end up with a LoI civil war, particularly between Dundalk and Rovers (with no disrespect to other clubs) well there will have to be some very eh mature decisions. Deferring the 2020 competitions to 2021 based on (our) 2019 season is a possibility but wouldnt be too popular in a resurgant SRFC camp - if only the game in Tallaght had been a draw (or Dundalk win lol).

All this said bearing in mind the really serious stuff thats happening to people, that communities, including LoI, could have a lot more than football to worry about than who is in CL or EL. But there is no harm in hoping or indeed expecting things to get back on track and looking for a timescale. As ever in football its the hope that both wrecks us but keeps us coming back for more when it occasionally becomes reality!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    Another interesting develpment but a whole load of ethics has to go out the window (I'm not sure that the British establishment have yet to deal with Gulf War Syndrome and it lingers as an issue for the MHRA). Say that all that is waived and money isnt an issue being spent on a vaccine that hopefully works - well its a good job Sweden have gone down a route that would suit vaccine research if they share their findings. Worldwide scrambling for supply if the Brits will share their work will be fun, though as close neighbours with a shared porous border we could be top of the queue!! I'm sure DT is already looking to offer Hawaii to the UK for exclusive rights as long as it is before an election....

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts

I would have thought it very likely that we'd have disruption next year too. When we hear talk of 'softening' restrictions, you can pretty much assume that social distancing won't be part of that. Therefore, sport will be an issue at any level, but especially where crowds my attend.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-39121801.html

Reckon the true scale of disruption to what was normal life is being drip feed to try and stop mass panic. I reckon the truth is that no mass gatherings can occur until a vaccine is tried , tested and in large scale production. It’s a tough road ahead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    348 Posts
    The effects of this beginning to become apparent on players,the question is,is it better to keep peddling false hope or give certainty as far as any certainty can be given?

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-39129875.html
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    877 Posts
    If certainty isnt even certain then isnt it all the same? Imo it is better to set targets, even if hopeful at best, that players (and people) can work toward rather than saying no football et al until 2021. Drip feeding bad news is used in health services, among many others as chucking a bomb under people rarely has a beneficial impact. Much easier to keep shifting the goalposts back and as in per the article it aides with motivation to keep routine. I'm sure a lot of players would just give up their diet and training knowing there was no need for it for 6-12months or whatever.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    The effects of this beginning to become apparent on players,the question is,is it better to keep peddling false hope or give certainty as far as any certainty can be given?

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-39129875.html
    First off nobody's peddling false hope, people are making realistic aims with the information available, information that emerges after that makes it unrealistic that's different.
    Second off, what harm does setting target dates do? There is no harm in having targets based on semi realistic best case scenarios instead of just going full pessimist on it.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    538 Posts
    Theres a lot of talk out there that the season will be annulled altogether and Winter Soccer will be the norm from now on. If thats the case why cancel the games that were played already? Just allow a few months of a break and restart the season from when the season suddenly stopped.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Theres a lot of talk out there that the season will be annulled altogether and Winter Soccer will be the norm from now on.
    Where is all this talk? Why would we change the season structure permanently? Obviously this season is going to be changed and possibly next, but that is down to circumstances outside of everyone’s control. I don’t see why we’d move back to winter football.

Page 17 of 78 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast