Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 12 of 78 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 - LOI Ramifications

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    howya Mods can you guys please bring back Marino Bohs we are all in this together, bygones be bygones and all that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I would say if this goes on another couple of months, UEFA will probably jump in with formal guidance as to how to proceed, particularly with regards European spots.

In England, non-league seasons have been voided - so no promotion/relegation. Obviously Liverpool will be trying desperately to avoid the same thing happening further up...
    Makes sense that they would take average league placings over a 5 year period or so and then just allocate that club the 21/22 Champions League berth, or the 20/21 qualification carries over. Either way there'd be no complaints here! Not as if clubs havent been selected in LoI based on season on season performances before....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Does anyone really believe we'll have football this season? Serie A rumoured to be going to cancelled this week,can see La Liga following suit and the same in the UK. Football won't ever be the same after this I think .........
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Just think of all those stars on every league table....

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    The way Jack Grealish is behaving at present he obviously believes that the season is over!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Makes sense that they would take average league placings over a 5 year period or so and then just allocate that club the 21/22 Champions League berth, or the 20/21 qualification carries over. Either way there'd be no complaints here! Not as if clubs havent been selected in LoI based on season on season performances before....
    Only clubs that would be happy with that would be Dundalk and Cork. A 5 year average doesn't work in a league as volatile as the LOI, you'd have clubs arguing why 5, why not 10, and such at least. Can't see it ever happening. If the leagues cancelled anyway it'll probably mean that qualifiers for Europe have been cancelled too so one solution would be to roll those qualifiers over but even that would cause uproar.

Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Does anyone really believe we'll have football this season? Serie A rumoured to be going to cancelled this week,can see La Liga following suit and the same in the UK. Football won't ever be the same after this I think .........
    Leagues where their next season starts in August, not late February, not comparable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    Only clubs that would be happy with that would be Dundalk and Cork. A 5 year average doesn't work in a league as volatile as the LOI, you'd have clubs arguing why 5, why not 10, and such at least. Can't see it ever happening. If the leagues cancelled anyway it'll probably mean that qualifiers for Europe have been cancelled too so one solution would be to roll those qualifiers over but even that would cause uproar.

Leagues where their next season starts in August, not late February, not comparable.
    They could always push next season back to the end of march and if need be play in January in a worst case scenario , I think the league is missing a trick and a huge opportunity if they don't finish the league in the run up to crimbo and perhaps play the cup final on St Stephens day imo it has he possibility to be a huge crowd. I hope they don't play the cup final before the conclusion of the league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Well I wasnt being serious on just awarding the league/Europe on a 5 year record - more that it would suit us and a tad ironic that in the past we were excluded based on a 5 year record. Of course if such a thing was ever on the table then super! It would be interesting though, to see how the FAI would allocate 21/22 Euro slots in the event of this season being voided and Europen club competition resumes next July. Names out of a hat, club-coefficient (which would make some sense), the table as it stands, some sort of play-off system, a single round of game next year, offer places to the clubs left standing . It would be such an important year to be in CL if existing plans for EL2 stand. Would clubs take a wedge of compensation money, say for 2 or 3 rounds and run? Its obviously very frustrating for all but Dundalk recruited and were looking to peak for July and were well on target for that. VP did say that players were at risk of over training on their own so were told to dial it back, the change in nutritional needs have been rolled out to the players also so there is some contingency work going on for the various different scenarios. Anyone know what other clubs are doing? I read somewhere and I dont think it was Dundalk where a club let their gym equipment go out to players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    4 or 5 matches to finish off the first round of 9 matches for each team.
    What could be fairer than that.
    Could all be done in a couple of weeks

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Its going to be a shortened league no matter what happens. So there is two options in my opinion - play 2 series of games (home and away) or play the last 3 series of games.

Either way the first series of games needs to be written off (we've only played half of them), so players and teams can get a pre-season of a few weeks or so.

Of course I would think its the best option given our start but starting a fresh with a shortened season seems the best / fairest way to do it.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    Its going to be a shortened league no matter what happens. So there is two options in my opinion - play 2 series of games (home and away) or play the last 3 series of games.

Either way the first series of games needs to be written off (we've only played half of them), so players and teams can get a pre-season of a few weeks or so.

Of course I would think its the best option given our start but starting a fresh with a shortened season seems the best / fairest way to do it.
    In what world does it make sense to be talking about squeezing in games into a limited time frame and scrapping games already played? Those are completely at odds with each other.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    In what world does it make sense to be talking about squeezing in games into a limited time frame and scrapping games already played? Those are completely at odds with each other.
    I didn't say squeeze in games into a limited time frame, I said shorten the season ... tbf a big difference.

What Im getting at would allow the option of either 2 series or 3 series of games. For example, if league gets going in Aug / Sept - do 3 series of games. If it gets going in Nov. / Dec then maybe do 2 series of games. Plus add in a two week pre season.

This allows for a flexible approach, which can be altered depending on how things go before mass gatherings can happen again!
    Last edited by redobit; 01/04/2020 at 12:14 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    I didn't say squeeze in games into a limited time frame, I said shorten the season ... tbf a big difference.

What Im getting at would allow the option of either 2 series or 3 series of games. For example, if league gets going in Aug / Sept - do 3 series of games. If it gets going in Nov. / Dec then maybe do 2 series of games. Plus add in a two week pre season.

This allows for a flexible approach, which can be altered depending on how things go before mass gatherings can happen again!
    Shortening the league is squeezing it into the limited time frame available.

Even what you're saying there in what universe does it make sense to say "oh were going to be tight on time to do this, let's throw away what we have and start again" ? Makes absolutely no sense. You can still have the 3 round league (what they're doing now) or two round league while including what's been played and avoid the potential legal action.

Just saying it because Sligo are bottom.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts

Even what you're saying there in what universe does it make sense to say "oh were going to be tight on time to do this, let's throw away what we have and start again" ? Makes absolutely no sense. You can still have the 3 round league (what they're doing now) or two round league while including what's been played and avoid the potential legal action.

Shortening the league is not squeezing it into a limited time frame ... you don't seem to get that. Squeezing the league is playing two or three games a week. Shortening the league is dropping a series or two of games and playing once a week as normal. We will be literally starting the season again, why shouldn't we start the season again and just play less games.

Im not saying it cause we have had a bad start. Im saying it because other other leagues (womens, english, rugby) that have played an awful lot more games than us who have simply scrapped the season. Dont be surprised if it happens, because other nations are doing it. Take off the tinted glasses.

LOI clubs meeting from today so Id say we will hear soon enough.
    Last edited by redobit; 01/04/2020 at 2:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts

and not wanting games played to be scrapped for a shorter season from scratch has absolutely nothing to do with Rovers beating Bohs and Dundalk and are top of the table!??

16. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Shortening the league is not squeezing it into a limited time frame ... you don't seem to get that. Squeezing the league is playing two or three games a week. Shortening the league is dropping a series or two of games and playing once a week as normal. We will be literally starting the season again, why shouldn't we start the season again and just play less games.

Im not saying it cause we have had a bad start. Im saying it because other other leagues (womens, english, rugby) that have played an awful lot more games than us who have simply scrapped the season. Dont be surprised if it happens, because other nations are doing it. Take off the tinted glasses.

LOI clubs meeting from today so Id say we will hear soon enough.
    You are squeezing the season into a shortened time frame, the fact you're cutting parts of it off just emphasises that.
    Shortening squeezing tomayto, tomahto.

We'd only be literally starting the league again because you want to scrap games so you can't use that as a reason to scrap the games.

Why shouldn't we count the games already played? You still haven't given a single reason as to why they should be scrapped other than your wee bit of circular reasoning.

Completely scraping a league and scraping one just to start it again are completely different things and what you're suggesting would leave the FAI open to all sorts of legal implications. Tad ironic to claim I have tinted glasses. Pot, kettle... Again there isn't a single legitimate reason to argue the league should be restarted from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    and not wanting games played to be scrapped for a shorter season from scratch has absolutely nothing to do with Rovers beating Bohs and Dundalk and are top of the table!??
    I haven't claimed to be unbiased but that doesn't make it any less ridiculous to suggest rendering perfectly valid games null and void for absolutely no reason (still hasn't been one, refuse to count that shocking circular reasoning as one, never mind a good one) for why it may be necessary.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    While there are a number of different options possible depending on when it is possible to play again, if the season does restart it would be grossly unfair if the current league leaders did not have the benefit of the 15 points won so far

Shortening the season (with or without the squeezing) and/or running it to Jan are all options. But the debate is fairly moot until some clarity emerges on when football is feasible

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    If we are in a situation to play two full rounds in 2020 (I think earliest might be late June), it will be a squeeze to get all in by end of the year to have a break / pre season before Mid Feb 2021.

Some will argue two fresh rounds, start over as the yanks would say, all start on zero points, all have 1 home, 1 away would seem the fairest.

However if we were top by 3 points, I`m not sure I`d be happy with that ! , but then again if this is the case for 2 full rounds, it means we have missed one home game v Rovers and will end up playing them away twice, but this would be no different to the 33 games season when this was the case some years, you played some teams twice at home, then reverted back following season to twice away, once at home.

In summary, I would think two full rounds might work, so 18 more games, keep the points for the first 5 games, so in effect it becomes a 23 series.

However, if this goes on beyond June (good chance), the next football we see might be Feb 2021, then its just the small matter of declaring DFC 2020 champions over a 5 year record criteria
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Some will argue two fresh rounds, start over as the yanks would say, all start on zero points, all have 1 home, 1 away would seem the fairest.

In summary, I would think two full rounds might work, so 18 more games, keep the points for the first 5 games, so in effect it becomes a 23 series.
    I know you're not saying that it would be fairest but I just can't possibly see what people would think would be unfair about counting the games already played? It's not as if some clubs have a longer break than others, it's the same across the board, there's nothing unfair about it.

I don't think you can count the 5 games and have a 2.5 rounds season, teams would argue that they had a tougher first 5 games than others. Corks fixtures vs Finn Harps fixtures springs to mind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Playing 2 full rounds on top of the 5 played seems the most bizarre suggestion I've heard yet. If you said you wanted to finish out an 18 game season on top of the 5 games played that would be a reasonable argument as everyone would end up playing the same fixture list, but with 5/9 games no way is that a fair fixture list. As RH points out we have already had to travel to Rovers and Dundalk, while Harps have only played Dundalk at home. Now its not unusual for LOI teams to have an imbalanced home/away fixture list so I'd get over that aspect.
    The other problem is that only 4 teams have played 5 games so far. What do you do? Take away the 5th game? Have the other 6 teams play one extra game so that 4 tams play 18 games and 6 play 19?

I genuinely don't think there will be any more sport in 2020.

Page 12 of 78 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast