Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2020 League Cup

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Is there anything to be said for going back to the old format of groups of four in pre-season?

Bit of an edge compared to regular pre-season, and you can charge admission.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    At times the reward is just simply that there is another addition to a roll of honour. Im greedy and would want to win every trophy available to my club (European comps may just be an expectation too far), it annoys me a small bit that Dundalk were a couple of penalty shoot-outs away from possibly ticking that box. Its a rare achievement so in some way that is the incentive itself. I dont think there should be any play-offs for a place in Europe that could include LC winners, but if there is ever a sustainable cross border or celtc cup type competition where there is decent participation money, LC winners should be in the hat. As it does serve a purpose in giving youth players a taste of senior football, similarly with the provincial senior cups, I dont think it should be scrapped. If it is it will be due to a couldnt be bothered attitude by the FAI and not because of some strategy on fixture congestion or player welfare etc.
    Playoffs are like marmite. Some agree. Some disagree. The First Division has playoffs and is keeping more clubs active for longer in the season.
    I'm in favour of a European play-off. I accept it's not everyone's cup of tea. With the value LoI clubs have on qualifying for Europe, playoffs can be utilised for promotion of the league.
    With the league being a calendar season, a 4 way playoff could be played out in February. The league cup winner (if a Premier Division team), the FAI Cup runners-up (if a Premier Division team) and the best 2 Premier Division teams not qualified are an example of potential options as participants.
    Hosted on two Fridays and two Mondays before the start of the league season, it has potential to be a high profile start for the return of the domestic league.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Is there anything to be said for going back to the old format of groups of four in pre-season?

Sounds like a good solution.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Really enjoyed those games as a fan, and a nice intro to the season.

Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Playoffs are like marmite. Some agree. Some disagree. The First Division has playoffs and is keeping more clubs active for longer in the season.
    I'm in favour of a European play-off. I accept it's not everyone's cup of tea.... The league cup winner (if a Premier Division team), the FAI Cup runners-up (if a Premier Division team) and the best 2 Premier Division teams not qualified are an example of potential options as participants.
    I'd be against play-offs in general. Your league position should be all that matters. To extend the play-off argument, we could go down the GAA route of having the league's top two play-off in a final?
    Being finalists in a cup isn't always a reflection of quality. It all depends on your route to the final, and I don't agree that luck should be a determinant to qualifying for something.

Whilst I'd like to see the LC back, I think it's a hard enough sell. For some clubs, they weren't too bothered about it anyway, but now you'd be looking to fit it into a schedule which has a fair few midweek games anyway. With the international break being used now, it's a bit tighter. It may less of an issue to larger squads, but especially for some FD clubs, would they see any value in it?
    Have you ever won the treble?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    In principle you are hoping that the leagues representatives in Europe are the strongest there are. There is an element of luck with the cup winners and the path to the final but often the cup winners are from the leagues top 3 or 4. It can also be argued that the teams that qualify one season to play in the following years competitions can change or weaken but again it is more likely that they will at least try to improve. Some of the arguments for play-offs, like the last one, are hangovers from boom and bust days and things are more stable now generally I think. Trying to use play-offs to leverage greater interest in the league as a whole i dont think is a sound mindset - its like hoping media give a load of coverage but its only going to be for the few days around the play-offs rather than generating broader public interest. Understandably, I think that those who'd favour a kind of backdoor route in to Europe will be clubs and supporters that may not have the resources to give themselves a good shot at a top 3 or 4 finish on a regular basis. It would be reasonable to change minds on a play-off system, for and against, depending on the fortunes of a club at that time.

A GAA example has been mentioned but its the rugby formats that baffle me, an americanised system where over a full season you can top the league, with a 100% record, but not be champions 'cause you lose the one off game to a teams that has sat in 4th all year. I know its not dissimilar to the football league playoffs but at least the top 2 or whatever are champions or promoted etc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    A Europa play-off is not everyone's cup of tea. That's fair enough. I would argue that the league winner, cup winner and league runner-up already qualify for Europe. The fourth European spot has potential for a high profile playoff. The 4th team instead of limping in, can qualify in a blaze of glory!
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Can only happen in years when the cup winner is from the top 3 no?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Can only happen in years when the cup winner is from the top 3 no?
    1 European spot can be unknown at the end of the league season, due to the Cup final. After the great Cup final attendance last year, there won't be any appetite any time soon to play the Cup final a week or two before the end of the league.
    If the winds of change brought an appetite for a European play-off, it would have to be at the start of the next season.
    Back on the topic of the league cup, the 4 European teams as I suggested could be left out of the league cup. The 4 European teams however could compete in the President's Cup. Two legged semi-finals on Easter and May bank holiday. One off final on June bank holiday. It'll be completed before the European season.
    The President Cup winner (if a Premier Division club in the following year), the league cup winner (if a PD club also), the Cup runner-up (if a PD club also) and the highest placed Premier Division club not already qualified can be the 4 participants.
    All clubs will have an opportunity for a domestic treble. Being in the President's Cup or League Cup, will be like being in the Champions League or Europa League, minus the money! Kicking off the season with a high profile European play-off will do the marketing of the league on the pitch.
    Again, I fully accept that a play-off is not everyone's cup of tea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts

Better than meaningless matches

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    4 teams are in Europe. The LC could be for the 16 teams not in Europe. 4 rounds on Easter bank holiday, May bank holiday, June bank holiday and August bank holiday.
    The 4 European teams and the LC semi-finalists could enter the FAI Cup at the Round of 16 stage.
    Was thinking something similar, don't the English teamS involved in Europe skip a round or two of the ELC?
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neish View Post
    Was thinking something similar, don't the English teamS involved in Europe skip a round or two of the ELC?
    They have in the league cup but not in their cup
    The FAI Cup could have a round or two in July/August without the European clubs. It could give them a rest weekend during the European qualifier season.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123