Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51

Thread: 2020 League Cup

  1. #1
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    34,955
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,079
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,116
    Thanked in
    2,616 Posts

    2020 League Cup

    Seems to be a slight change of format this year - 9 First Division teams (Rovers II aren't in) plus 3 non-league sides make up the first round, with the 6 winners joining the 12 Premier Division sides in the next round. No mention of regional pools until the QF stage any more, though the first round ties are regionalised.

    "Drogheda v UCD the standout tie in EA Sports Cup" is the headline on RTÉ, which is suitably underwhelming I think!

    Monday, 9 March
    Cabinteely v Crumlin United
    Drogheda United v UCD

    Tuesday, 10 March
    Galway United v Athlone Town
    Longford Town v Cockhill Celtic
    UCC v Cobh Ramblers
    Wexford v Bray Wanderers

  2. #2
    International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Longford, Ireland
    Posts
    5,111
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,691
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    890
    Thanked in
    760 Posts
    Yawn.

  3. #3
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    2,530
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,207
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,728
    Thanked in
    836 Posts
    Not terribly outspoken, and yet so much so.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

  4. #4
    Reserves littlebray's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    420
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    64
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    98
    Thanked in
    64 Posts
    Did anyone get the actual draw sequence, as opposed to the list of fixtures by date?

  5. #5
    First Team The Lilywhites's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2007
    Location
    Oriel Park
    Posts
    1,093
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    110
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    94
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Yawn.
    The League Cup not significant enough for trophy laden Longford Town?!

  6. Thanks From:


  7. #6
    First Team D24Saint's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    1,956
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    165
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    307
    Thanked in
    227 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebray View Post
    Did anyone get the actual draw sequence, as opposed to the list of fixtures by date?
    That would be interesting as it looks to be an orchestrated list of fixtures than a traditional draw.

  8. #7
    First Team D24Saint's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    1,956
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    165
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    307
    Thanked in
    227 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lilywhites View Post
    The League Cup not significant enough for trophy laden Longford Town?!
    Its a Michael Mouse trophy it adds to a good league season but wouldn’t make up for a bad one like the FAI cup would.

  9. #8
    Seasoned Pro El-Pietro's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    3,522
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,290
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    630
    Thanked in
    432 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    That would be interesting as it looks to be an orchestrated list of fixtures than a traditional draw.
    The early rounds have always been regional.

  10. #9
    International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Longford, Ireland
    Posts
    5,111
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,691
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    890
    Thanked in
    760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lilywhites View Post
    The League Cup not significant enough for trophy laden Longford Town?!
    We beat Dundalk in pre-season therefore we are the best team in Ireland, that's enough for me.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

  11. Thanks From:


  12. #10
    First Team The Lilywhites's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2007
    Location
    Oriel Park
    Posts
    1,093
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    110
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    94
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    We beat Dundalk in pre-season therefore we are the best team in Ireland, that's enough for me.
    Glad you've clarified who you really support!

  13. #11
    International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Killashee Longford
    Posts
    8,971
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5,288
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    617
    Thanked in
    523 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lilywhites View Post
    Glad you've clarified who you really support!
    Its even coming out in Outspokens accent on his podcast!

    btw is this UCCs first time to take part in league cup?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

  14. #12
    Reserves
    Joined
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    606
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    311
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    208
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    btw is this UCCs first time to take part in league cup?
    They played in it in 2015, beating Wexford and Cobh before losing to Dundalk.
    A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes for his friends.

  15. Thanks From:


  16. #13
    Reserves littlebray's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    420
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    64
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    98
    Thanked in
    64 Posts
    I have 2018 also for UCC (lost 4-1 to Waterford in first Pool round). Can't go back any further than 2004 for this, if it's any use to anyone.

    League Cup 2004-2020, Non-League participants:

    2004 (2): Kerry League, Mayo League
    2005 (1): Mayo League
    2006 (1): Kerry League (only 16 League clubs entered)
    2007 (2): Fanad United, Kerry League
    2008 (2): Kildrum Tigers, Kerry League
    2009 (2*): Five non-reserve A Championship teams, Kildrum Tigers, Kerry League
    2010 (6): Kerry League, Tralee Dynamos, Castlebar Celtic, Letterkenny Rovers, Tullamore Town, Carlow FC
    2011 (4): Kerry League, Tralee Dynamos, Cockhill Celtic, Carlow FC
    2012 (2): Mayo League, Fanad United
    2013 (2): Mayo League, Cockhill Celtic
    2014 (5): Avondale, Crumlin United, Mervue United, Mayo League, Cockhill Celtic
    2015 (4): UCC, Crumlin United, Mayo League, Cockhill Celtic
    2016 (4): Rockmount, Bluebell United, Mayo League, Cockhill Celtic
    2017 (4): Avondale, Bluebell United, Mayo League, Cockhill Celtic
    2018 (4): UCC, St Mochtas, Mayo League, Cockhill Celtic
    2019 (3): Midleton, Bluebell United, Cockhill Celtic
    2020 (3): UCC, Crumlin United, Cockhill Celtic
    * 7 if A Championship is not regarded as "League"

  17. Thanks From:


  18. #14
    International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Killashee Longford
    Posts
    8,971
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5,288
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    617
    Thanked in
    523 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebray View Post
    I have 2018 also for UCC (lost 4-1 to Waterford in first Pool round). Can't go back any further than 2004 for this, if it's any use to anyone.

    League Cup 2004-2020, Non-League participants:

    2004 (2): Kerry League, Mayo League
    2005 (1): Mayo League
    2006 (1): Kerry League (only 16 League clubs entered)
    2007 (2): Fanad United, Kerry League
    2008 (2): Kildrum Tigers, Kerry League
    2009 (2*): Five non-reserve A Championship teams, Kildrum Tigers, Kerry League
    2010 (6): Kerry League, Tralee Dynamos, Castlebar Celtic, Letterkenny Rovers, Tullamore Town, Carlow FC
    2011 (4): Kerry League, Tralee Dynamos, Cockhill Celtic, Carlow FC
    2012 (2): Mayo League, Fanad United
    2013 (2): Mayo League, Cockhill Celtic
    2014 (5): Avondale, Crumlin United, Mervue United, Mayo League, Cockhill Celtic
    2015 (4): UCC, Crumlin United, Mayo League, Cockhill Celtic
    2016 (4): Rockmount, Bluebell United, Mayo League, Cockhill Celtic
    2017 (4): Avondale, Bluebell United, Mayo League, Cockhill Celtic
    2018 (4): UCC, St Mochtas, Mayo League, Cockhill Celtic
    2019 (3): Midleton, Bluebell United, Cockhill Celtic
    2020 (3): UCC, Crumlin United, Cockhill Celtic
    * 7 if A Championship is not regarded as "League"
    if it is any help Little Bray I know for us that we participated as a non league side in the 82-83 and 83-84 seasons in the league cup.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

  19. #15
    First Team seand's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2003
    Location
    D'Shed
    Posts
    1,462
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    429
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    451
    Thanked in
    219 Posts
    couple more seasons, for now:
    2003: Kerry Lge, Mayo Lge
    02-3: not played
    01-2: no non-league
    00-1: Bluebell, Rockmouont, Swilly, Mervue
    99-00: Newbridge Tn, Rockmount (semi-finalists)

  20. Thanks From:


  21. #16
    Reserves
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    762
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    273
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    191
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Have I missed it or has there been anything official from the FAI this week on whether the league cup will resume or if its being null & voided? It was deferred back in March
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

  22. #17
    International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Killashee Longford
    Posts
    8,971
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5,288
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    617
    Thanked in
    523 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    Have I missed it or has there been anything official from the FAI this week on whether the league cup will resume or if its being null & voided? It was deferred back in March
    Didnt hear a peep out of them. We were supposed to play Cockhill Celtic but tbh if non league clubs are excluded from FAI Cup cant see league cup going ahead tbh.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

  23. #18
    Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2004
    Location
    In the gutter, but looking at the stars
    Posts
    11,405
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,697
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,283
    Thanked in
    1,505 Posts
    Am pretty certain there will be no league cup this year.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

  24. #19
    Seasoned Pro legendz's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kerry
    Posts
    2,735
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    239
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    210
    Thanked in
    169 Posts
    Is the league cup suspended indefinitely or is there any talk of adding it back into the football calendar?
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity seems lost somewhere in between for new clubs/regions to become part of LoI family.

  25. #20
    Seasoned Pro NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Gouldavoher
    Posts
    4,820
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    257
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    747
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    I wonder if the appetite is really there for it to return. Without a Euro place I think its attraction is negligible for a lot of clubs.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2020-21 UEFA Nations League
    By DeLorean in forum Ireland
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 27/08/2020, 3:30 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12/02/2020, 12:40 PM
  3. UEFA: 2020 Europa League final: when, where and tickets
    By Foot.ie in forum Football Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27/01/2020, 4:40 PM
  4. The League in 2020
    By nr637 in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10/01/2020, 11:56 AM
  5. New League of Ireland Company for 2020
    By nigel-harps1954 in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 18/06/2018, 12:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •