Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 141 to 160 of 160

Thread: Attendances 2020

  1. #141
    Seasoned Pro Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,041
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    973
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    791
    Thanked in
    528 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    To be honest the whole small improvements, stick a roof on kinda of thinking is a false economy, it wonít happen, no one will do it because for Oriel it has reached the stage of keep it as it is or a proper redevelopment.

    Anything else would be a stop gap that would have to be destroyed in the event of a proper redevelopment (which surely inevitably will come) and therefore a waste of money.

    I canít blame Dundalk at this stage for letting it completely rot to the extent that it becomes entirely not fit for purpose then somehow get a proper redevelopment.
    You are right but where there is a will there is a way. Seaview in Belfast would be the top end example of development with consideration for a move in due course. At this stage I can only presume that there would be need for planning permission to even just cover areas which could open a can of worms that can only be fixed with a big job. Vinny was up painting walls in Oriel during this unscheduled break - some painting alone would at this point get some brownie points from Dundalk fans!

  2. #142
    Coach BonnieShels's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Elm Valley, Blackpool
    Posts
    11,865
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,257
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,573
    Thanked in
    1,773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    First update of the season, brought to you by COVID-19.

    PREMIER DIVISION

    Bohs - 3,333 (2,878; 2,148; 2,006; 1,627; 1,724; 1,395; 1,597; 1,496; 1,488)
    Cork - 3,164 (2,505; 4,245; 4,559; 2,533; 3,263; 3,777; 1,965; 2,786; 2,128 FD)
    Derry - 3,200 (2,878; 2,297; 1,517; 1,563; 1,124; 1,106; 1,446; 1,460; 2,135)
    Dundalk - 2,700 (2,775; 2,738; 2,674; 2,738; 3,158; 2,534; 1,997; 949; 1,355)
    Harps - 1,910 (1,153; 708 FD; 1,202; 1,216; 784 FD; 449 FD; 479 FD; 429 FD; 433 FD; 644 FD)
    Pat's - 2,443 (1,887; 1,621; 1,504; 1,088; 1,321; 1,386; 1,687; 1,474; 1,346)
    Rovers - 6,314 (3,445; 2,749; 2,809; 2,041; 2,890; 2,269; 2,763; 3,127; 3,779)
    Shels - 3,032 (1,075 FD; 654 FD; 496 FD; 554 FD; 596 FD; 713 FD; 1,114; 1,187; 781 FD)
    Sligo - 2,265 (1,995; 1,853; 1,717; 1,750; 1,750; 1,959; 2,342; 3,007; 2,103)
    Waterford - 1,882 (1,597; 2,329; 1,550 FD; 314 FD; 460 FD; 470 FD; 478 FD; 453 FD; 466 FD)

    FIRST DIVISION

    Athlone - 261 (369; 130; 154; 156; 314; 653 PD; 754; 271; 200)
    Bray - 1,106 (798; 643 PD; 966 PD; 957 PD; 769 PD; 718 PD; 891 PD; 965 PD; 1,121 PD)
    Cabinteely - 401 (370; 261; 346; 352; 610)
    Cobh - 440 (280; 236; 358; 403; 366; 223; 439; 2008 - 1,122 PD; 681)
    Drogheda - 737 (928; 377; 850 PD; 583; 813 PD; 1,064 PD; 817 PD; 977 PD; 811 PD)
    Galway - 0 (795; 746; 1,376 PD; 1,169 PD; 1,290 PD; 975)
    Longford - 442 (611; 449; 342; 488 PD; 803 PD; 567; 379; 365; 315)
    Rovers II - 312 (231 - 2014)
    UCD - 200 (735 PD; 365; 236; 297; 216; 397 PD; 487 PD; 506 PD; 558 PD; 610 PD)
    Wexford - 212 (235; 181; 338; 585 PD; 553; 331; 227; 302; 216)

    PREMIER AVERAGE: 2,986 (2,185; 2,170; 1,902; 1,476; 1,681; 1,502; 1,566; 1,630; 1,547)
    FIRST DIVISION AVERAGE: 454(586; 413; 477; 476; 486; 495; 391; 372; 578)

    OVERALL AVERAGE: 2,046 (1,500; 1,249; 1,387; 1,117; 1,249; 1,160; 1,140; 1,125; 1,110)


    OVERALL PREMIER ATTENDANCE: 65,697 (393,238; 316,515; 376,627; 292,204; 332,805; 297,334)
    OVERALL FIRST ATTENDANCE: 5,900 (79,115; 55,756; 53,461; 52,807; 54,474; 55,408)

    OVERALL COMBINED ATTENDANCE: 71,597 (472,353; 372,271; 430,088; 345,011; 387,279; 352,742)
    It is typical that the LOI is facing a fantastic season and the crowds in the PD were geat across the board with people I know who have had no interest in the LOI before now and then this crap hits us. Hopefully being starved of live sport will be a boost going forward when we're through this.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

  3. #143
    Seasoned Pro El-Pietro's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    3,356
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,226
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    567
    Thanked in
    394 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    It is typical that the LOI is facing a fantastic season and the crowds in the PD were geat across the board with people I know who have had no interest in the LOI before now and then this crap hits us. Hopefully being starved of live sport will be a boost going forward when we're through this.
    Attendances are always high early in the season. They come down over time, don't read much into crowds in the first 4 or 5 weeks.

  4. #144
    Seasoned Pro oriel's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Border
    Posts
    3,467
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    547
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    376
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    Oriel -
    Dundalk town has a population just shy of 30k.Throw in Blackrock,Bellingham and the peninsula you get 45k.
    Dunleer and anything south of there is Drogheda.
    Dundalk supporters north of the border(and there are a good few) are mostly Dundalk native.North of Killeen border crossing is prob 0
    This exercise was done before.Dundalk for the population we have is punching above its weight,and Sligo also.Shams attendance same % as Dundalk re population and attendances and i think Derry was in there.

    The yanks in Dundalk spin improving the ground to paying say McEleney's wages.
    Which would you want?

    Hypothetical question


    .
    TT - We were both wrong, I looked up the last population of Dundalk from June 2018, it was 39,004, so add in Blackrock area (closest to the town), this gives around 45k max.

    Re Q on paying wages over ground improvements, I get that, but modest improvements won't cost the earth, plus on another question from DCWA, this being a waste of money, its really not, plenty of people renting will have their properties improved. The tiresome question will always be the key areas of roofing both sides of the stand, then anything** even perm - temp behind town goal, these are not huge projects and would serve the club well for medium term.

    ** examples being what Limerick had behind their goal or possibly what Pats have.
    #DundalkFC 5 titles in 6 years 2014/2015/2016/2018/2019

  5. #145
    Seasoned Pro Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,041
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    973
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    791
    Thanked in
    528 Posts
    Dundalk and Dundalk Rural, or the hinterland wouldnt be a kick in the pants off 60k. Lisdoo/Armagh Rd, Faughart, Haggardstown and Blackrock as mentioned are all classed a rural population but would be a big catchment for the club. When all the housing units that are being built at South Dundalk just beyond Sextons Pub it would jump again with nearly 2000 housing units being onstructed. Likewise at the back of Mooreland where a massive tranche of land has been opened up. If that development goes ahead it would include links to Ardee and Carrick Rds and complete a ring road which would be of benefit to the club with access possible from either side of Oriel including additional exits off the M1 toward the Carrick side of the road.

  6. #146
    Reserves
    Joined
    May 2016
    Location
    Limerick
    Posts
    772
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    32
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    31
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    One of the main criticisms aimed at Limerick was that through all the money, they had exactly what they had at the end as what they had at the beginning - nothing.

    I do fear that the same will happen to Dundalk (to a lesser extent seeing as they have a lease on the ground) with the way things are with Peak 6. Yes they have a fantastic training facility, but the fans will never lay eyes on the inside of it. With this current pandemic (no fault of Dundalk's) I assume they're paying wages out of their pocket, if you combine that with a poor European run last year and potentially another one whenever it comes around again, I'm afraid they will pull the plug meaning that people will be watching football through the same grubby perspex glass after five league titles as they were when they were in a playoff.

    Not wishing any ill on Dundalk, hope it doesn't come off as such.

  7. #147
    Seasoned Pro oriel's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Border
    Posts
    3,467
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    547
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    376
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    P6 have confirmed they will pay wages during this period, they haven't given a date but appears it covers players and staff.

    https://www.dundalkfc.com/a-message-...-of-directors/

    I think like most Irish clubs, if owners or main backers pull out, either need to get new owners or the club would be in trouble. P6 picked up 1.2M last year from Europe, but we all know that's not what they are after, its a slice of the EL group stage (7m now) or play off round (2.5 - 3m I think, if you advance via CL stage and not drop out to EL like Linfield did).

    Good to see them confirming payments, and we assume this is to the small admin team also, disgusting to see likes of Liverpool going down the Furlong route today for admin staff, while their every year a millionaire players get full wages.
    Last edited by oriel; 04/04/2020 at 7:28 PM.
    #DundalkFC 5 titles in 6 years 2014/2015/2016/2018/2019

  8. #148
    Seasoned Pro Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,041
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    973
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    791
    Thanked in
    528 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    One of the main criticisms aimed at Limerick was that through all the money, they had exactly what they had at the end as what they had at the beginning - nothing.

    I do fear that the same will happen to Dundalk (to a lesser extent seeing as they have a lease on the ground) with the way things are with Peak 6. Yes they have a fantastic training facility, but the fans will never lay eyes on the inside of it. With this current pandemic (no fault of Dundalk's) I assume they're paying wages out of their pocket, if you combine that with a poor European run last year and potentially another one whenever it comes around again, I'm afraid they will pull the plug meaning that people will be watching football through the same grubby perspex glass after five league titles as they were when they were in a playoff.

    Not wishing any ill on Dundalk, hope it doesn't come off as such.
    It is very much a concern for every Dundalk fan. We have to keep the faith to some extent though that Peak6 are true to their word and are in for the long haul. Disruption to the season aside I think progress has been made on squad additions that could improve our chances of progressing in Europe. As a seeded side you hope for that 1st round minimum and then parachuting in to 2nd/3rd tier comps. Peak6 to their credit have done exactly as they have said so far. No big unfulfilled promises of a new ground - depending on future achievements maybe. There was little stopping them from putting in planning applications and kicking them down the road for decades. We have had a paint job done it seems - additional off field progress The way things have been developed off the field with player facilities, new staff etc. well it makes some sense to try and get all that right and maximised first tbh. Hopefully this will develop the club to the point of ground improvements on the cards.

  9. #149
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,044
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    357
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    318
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    It is very much a concern for every Dundalk fan. We have to keep the faith to some extent though that Peak6 are true to their word and are in for the long haul. Disruption to the season aside I think progress has been made on squad additions that could improve our chances of progressing in Europe. As a seeded side you hope for that 1st round minimum and then parachuting in to 2nd/3rd tier comps. Peak6 to their credit have done exactly as they have said so far. No big unfulfilled promises of a new ground - depending on future achievements maybe. There was little stopping them from putting in planning applications and kicking them down the road for decades. We have had a paint job done it seems - additional off field progress The way things have been developed off the field with player facilities, new staff etc. well it makes some sense to try and get all that right and maximised first tbh. Hopefully this will develop the club to the point of ground improvements on the cards.
    This discussion is repeated ad nauseum though.

    Why would Peak6 spend any money on ground improvements, unless forced to do so for a license? They're venture capitalists, in it to make money. And they'll do that on the pitch, not via the stadium. They wouldn't recoup the cost of any work to the stadium within any sensible timespan. So I just don't see any incentive for them to do it. I fear you're stuck with Oriel for the foreseeable.

  10. #150
    Seasoned Pro Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,041
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    973
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    791
    Thanked in
    528 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    This discussion is repeated ad nauseum though.

    Why would Peak6 spend any money on ground improvements, unless forced to do so for a license? They're venture capitalists, in it to make money. And they'll do that on the pitch, not via the stadium. They wouldn't recoup the cost of any work to the stadium within any sensible timespan. So I just don't see any incentive for them to do it. I fear you're stuck with Oriel for the foreseeable.
    It has and I'm sure it will be discussed again as soon as people gat lashed on in the away section or there are no minerals or crisps on sale. In relation to the last sentence I dont think I suggested much else!? If there are signicifant numbers left without tickets each home game at some point, after a number of successful European group stage campaigns then the picture could change.

    I dont completely agree that cost of work would never be recouped though or wouldnt be of any value to the owners. Clever design, multi-use, successful grant awards, incremental work etc bring down cost or generate additional income, and before primary use is included. Throw in sponsorship and how business might be more willing to have their brand associated with a more modern facility, maybe with corporate hospitality areas thrown in, cheap credit and so on well it isnt impossible to achieve if there ever is any will. There would likely be need to change the lease agreement. Venture capitalists or not if the stars align ye just never know, we could have a new stand open before Harps do...

    Its all fanciful thinking, but what isnt is maximising all possible use of what already exists eg within the YDC, bars, pitch or whatever. Recruiting full time staff that generate more than they cost even.

  11. #151
    Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2004
    Location
    In the gutter, but looking at the stars
    Posts
    11,109
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,594
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,124
    Thanked in
    1,434 Posts
    One wonders whether there will be grants to apply for when this is all over, massive debt being racked up and sports funding may not be exactly top of the priority list after it.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

  12. #152
    Seasoned Pro oriel's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Border
    Posts
    3,467
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    547
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    376
    Thanked in
    291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    This discussion is repeated ad nauseum though.

    Why would Peak6 spend any money on ground improvements, unless forced to do so for a license? They're venture capitalists, in it to make money. And they'll do that on the pitch, not via the stadium. They wouldn't recoup the cost of any work to the stadium within any sensible timespan. So I just don't see any incentive for them to do it. I fear you're stuck with Oriel for the foreseeable.
    This would an interesting route, for example I think (like most other leagues) there shouuld be a min standard for our league, almost like Euro early rounds. For LOI I think it should be min 3k seats (we have that) but all covered (we don't). Part of the problem solved.
    #DundalkFC 5 titles in 6 years 2014/2015/2016/2018/2019

  13. #153
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,044
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    357
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    318
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    It has and I'm sure it will be discussed again as soon as people gat lashed on in the away section or there are no minerals or crisps on sale. In relation to the last sentence I dont think I suggested much else!? If there are signicifant numbers left without tickets each home game at some point, after a number of successful European group stage campaigns then the picture could change.

    I dont completely agree that cost of work would never be recouped though or wouldnt be of any value to the owners. Clever design, multi-use, successful grant awards, incremental work etc bring down cost or generate additional income, and before primary use is included. Throw in sponsorship and how business might be more willing to have their brand associated with a more modern facility, maybe with corporate hospitality areas thrown in, cheap credit and so on well it isnt impossible to achieve if there ever is any will. There would likely be need to change the lease agreement. Venture capitalists or not if the stars align ye just never know, we could have a new stand open before Harps do...

    Its all fanciful thinking, but what isnt is maximising all possible use of what already exists eg within the YDC, bars, pitch or whatever. Recruiting full time staff that generate more than they cost even.
    Peak 6's game plan is very simple, very clear, and has been from the start.

    Tap into the large sums of money available from European football by investing in the team to dominate Irish football and win the league every (or almost every) year, and then build a side capable of reaching the EL or CL Group Stages more often than not.

    So that's all about players, players, players. Start and end of it.

    If they had any interest in fcuking around with creative thinking re the stadium etc then they'd have done it by now. But that would all involve organisational capacity etc that they've shown little interest in funding or supporting.

    Success on the pitch = Return on Investment. Start and end of it for those boys.

  14. #154
    First Team ToberonaTornado's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2016
    Location
    Faughart,Dundalk.
    Posts
    1,198
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    74
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    220
    Thanked in
    149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Peak 6's game plan is very simple, very clear, and has been from the start.

    Tap into the large sums of money available from European football by investing in the team to dominate Irish football and win the league every (or almost every) year, and then build a side capable of reaching the EL or CL Group Stages more often than not.

    So that's all about players, players, players. Start and end of it.

    If they had any interest in fcuking around with creative thinking re the stadium etc then they'd have done it by now. But that would all involve organisational capacity etc that they've shown little interest in funding or supporting.

    Success on the pitch = Return on Investment. Start and end of it for those boys.
    Must be great up there in the clouds with a lovely stadium and a crap football side.

    Anyway,just wait until we get this cheque from the sports council and then we'll fecking shove it up yee all.......

  15. #155
    Seasoned Pro Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,041
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    973
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    791
    Thanked in
    528 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Peak 6's game plan is very simple, very clear, and has been from the start.

    Tap into the large sums of money available from European football by investing in the team to dominate Irish football and win the league every (or almost every) year, and then build a side capable of reaching the EL or CL Group Stages more often than not.

    So that's all about players, players, players. Start and end of it.

    If they had any interest in fcuking around with creative thinking re the stadium etc then they'd have done it by now. But that would all involve organisational capacity etc that they've shown little interest in funding or supporting.

    Success on the pitch = Return on Investment. Start and end of it for those boys.
    What part of calling it fanciful thinking wasnt clear EYG? I'm well aware of the ownership model and suggested any investment in the ground may happen if a bunch of other things were to happen - including things that are not going to happen anytime soon. As for organisational capacity - I suggested maximising what currently exists, while not making much difference Peak6 did employ 2 pretty high profile CEOs. There have since been a number of organisational appointments and significant changes at boardroom level which suggests to me that they recognise that they need to start creating additionl income to offset what the project is costing irrespective of potential prizemoney so I dont know where you are getting that second last paragraph from? And they have thought with fcuking around re the stadium and decided not to bother but a feasibility study was done on whether to stay at Oriel or look toward a greenfield site, it was no surprise that it was decided to stick with Oriel. There was also some looking at covering the away section but it would have created even more issues with sight lines. There are rumours too of design plans having been drawn up, the current CEO and former organisational General Manager has alluded to them but as we havent seen them they could be as real as the tooth fairy.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 07/04/2020 at 5:58 PM.

  16. #156
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,044
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    357
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    318
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    Must be great up there in the clouds with a lovely stadium and a crap football side.

    Anyway,just wait until we get this cheque from the sports council and then we'll fecking shove it up yee all.......
    Someone's clearly struggling with self-isolation

  17. #157
    Reserves CorribsideSteve's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    425
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    98
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    52
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Slightly off topic. Due to the severe lack of football, I have been watching Belorussian football highlights on YT (perhaps I'm not alone). Decent skill level, as some LOI teams have sen in Euro qualifications. However, if anyone thought LOI attendances were shajt, the Belorussian League takes the 'hold my beer' option. BATE, with their space age Stdaium (by LOI standards) saw a crowd of less than 700 for their last game, and it's not an anomaly.

  18. #158
    Seasoned Pro Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,041
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    973
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    791
    Thanked in
    528 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CorribsideSteve View Post
    Slightly off topic. Due to the severe lack of football, I have been watching Belorussian football highlights on YT (perhaps I'm not alone). Decent skill level, as some LOI teams have sen in Euro qualifications. However, if anyone thought LOI attendances were shajt, the Belorussian League takes the 'hold my beer' option. BATE, with their space age Stdaium (by LOI standards) saw a crowd of less than 700 for their last game, and it's not an anomaly.
    Some creative thinking or just ridiculous....I know what I think! The only surprise is that some LoI club didnt try similar, Dublin City Id bet would probably have tried it eventually if they'd lasted long enough

    https://www.theguardian.com/football...ans-in-belarus

  19. #159
    Reserves redarmyfaction's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sligo.
    Posts
    616
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    120
    Thanked in
    78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Some creative thinking or just ridiculous....I know what I think! The only surprise is that some LoI club didnt try similar, Dublin City Id bet would probably have tried it eventually if they'd lasted long enough

    https://www.theguardian.com/football...ans-in-belarus
    I recall a football annual many years ago where Melchester our whoever were invited to play a pre season friendly against non league team owned by a cash rich investor. The fans turned out to be dummies and the atmosphere was provided by speakers, also the opposition turned out to be monkeys, pretty useful monkeys too as I recall. The cash rich investor was a mad scientist and he had some scheme afoot which was thwarted when Roy and the boys climbed into the committee room and confronted him. I forget what happened to the scientist, rozzers got him I think.

  20. Thanks From:


  21. #160
    Seasoned Pro Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,041
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    973
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    791
    Thanked in
    528 Posts
    lol a ridiculous story that we all are quietly thinking 'ye never f*ckin know in LoI! I suppose the multicoloursed seating schemes are used to reduce the look of empty stadia which isnt a million miles off but dummies in seats is a bit much. Probably be as cheap to pay people to go to games in Belarus.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 274
    Last Post: 30/04/2020, 9:37 PM
  2. Attendances
    By pineapple stu in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 25/03/2011, 10:45 PM
  3. Attendances
    By pineapple stu in forum Cobh Ramblers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23/11/2005, 8:49 AM
  4. Attendances
    By pineapple stu in forum Sligo Rovers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22/11/2005, 7:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •