Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Results 181 to 194 of 194

Thread: Attendances 2020

  1. #181
    First Team
    Joined
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    2,211
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,004
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,467
    Thanked in
    713 Posts
    Replace Tesco with Starbucks or McDonalds franchise holders and the point stands up. They'd pull the franchise and sell it on if branches refused to open. Problem for us is there's nobody daft enough to buy in to replace a LoI team.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

  2. #182
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,052
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    115
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    78
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Thursday night games. Any UCD and Dundalk fans on here would care to comment on the advantages and drawbacks of having games on that night. I suppose one reason for UCD was to try and get the country students before they went home. Do you think it gave an extra edge for the home side considering the part-time nature of some clubs. Effect on away fans numbers etc.
    Also was Thursday night games ended before the summer season came in?

  3. #183
    Seasoned Pro Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,138
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    994
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    804
    Thanked in
    540 Posts
    The obvious one is that less people headed to the Lilywhite Lounge on Thursdays and those that did stayed for less time on a school night. It was even more difficult for away fans to travel. The upside is that there was damn all else on on a Thursday so no going head to head with the horse racing often. There may have been LoI fans at DkIT that would only be able to attend on Thursdays but there isnt any concrete stats to show any trends.

    Thursdays really became just a habit for to get in a game in Oriel. I think most of the Thursday night match era was during the winter schedule so different in general and playing under floodlights. There are likely more advantage if any, playing on Fridays. One of the reasons for Thursday night games is that it meant an extra night takings in the Lounge with 21st birthdays etc held there. An important source of income at the time over a season - say roughly Spetember to May the additional night of leasing the lounge would be 30k annually at a conservative 1K in bar takings and rental. So a bit horses for courses.

    A good bit of all of this was when we were in the 1st Division so again not easy to compare in terms of attendances and away crowds.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 07/07/2020 at 2:31 PM.

  4. #184
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    31,023
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,459
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,904
    Thanked in
    1,789 Posts
    UCD tried it in 2001

    Lasted half a season before being ditched.

    I think that, in addition to not having any impact, it made training awkward because every week your match was on a different day, so training schedules would be all over the place

    Tis a while back now, but I think away numbers were down alright.

  5. #185
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,052
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    115
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    78
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Surprised at UCD being only half season, had taught longer. Understand the routine aspect, but with full-time players this may not be such a big hindrance.
    The point of not clashing with anything i think is important. Really don't understand why the games are not spread out by the Dublin clubs over the weekend even. Would there be say 200 LoI fans in the Dublin area who would take in an extra game?

  6. #186
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    31,023
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,459
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,904
    Thanked in
    1,789 Posts
    That's probably the wrong way to look at it though. If Friday night being LoI night (by and large) creates an identity for the league as a whole, that's more valuable to clubs than the chance of 200 fans taking in an extra game over the weekend (which might be 70 at each game in Dublin for example)

    Also, if you have games spread out across an entire weekend, you're increasing the chance of clashing with something, not decreasing it. So there's no point playing at 3pm on Saturday just to get 70 floaters because you'll lose hundreds to the vidiprinter.

  7. #187
    International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,007
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    153
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,062
    Thanked in
    654 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    Thursday night games. Any UCD and Dundalk fans on here would care to comment on the advantages and drawbacks of having games on that night.
    Cork Tom became a regular at Oriel Park

    No sure if that is an advantage or a drawback

  8. #188
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,052
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    115
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    78
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Actually I think the first time I saw Tom at a game in Galway was a midweek fixture in early July. Big crowd as well against Cork, good away support. Lovely evening, kids off school would have contributed in getting the floaters to come I suppose. Could clubs maybe try Thursdays during July/August.
    I don't think afternoon games would be worth switching for.

    p.s. Personal opinion I think Galway are missing on not playing on Saturday. Seems Sligo are happy with that time.

  9. #189
    First Team Nah Nah Nah Nah's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,162
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    424
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    530
    Thanked in
    305 Posts
    Yeah Saturday certainly suits us better with so many working away. Although with the insistence of so many Monday games early on we tend to need to move a few. Would have thought it wouldsuit Galway as well as. Connacht tend to have a good few Friday games.

  10. #190
    Capped Player nigel-harps1954's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On a dodgy bus
    Posts
    11,090
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,472
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,256
    Thanked in
    1,898 Posts
    Derry City v Sligo Rovers - 0
    Dundalk v St Pats - 0

    Tough night for the attendance stats..

  11. Thanks From:


  12. #191
    Seasoned Pro oriel's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Border
    Posts
    3,523
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    550
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    390
    Thanked in
    301 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    The obvious one is that less people headed to the Lilywhite Lounge on Thursdays and those that did stayed for less time on a school night. It was even more difficult for away fans to travel. The upside is that there was damn all else on on a Thursday so no going head to head with the horse racing often. There may have been LoI fans at DkIT that would only be able to attend on Thursdays but there isnt any concrete stats to show any trends.

    Thursdays really became just a habit for to get in a game in Oriel. I think most of the Thursday night match era was during the winter schedule so different in general and playing under floodlights. There are likely more advantage if any, playing on Fridays. One of the reasons for Thursday night games is that it meant an extra night takings in the Lounge with 21st birthdays etc held there. An important source of income at the time over a season - say roughly Spetember to May the additional night of leasing the lounge would be €30k annually at a conservative €1K in bar takings and rental. So a bit horses for courses.

    A good bit of all of this was when we were in the 1st Division so again not easy to compare in terms of attendances and away crowds.
    Personally speaking, I was not a fan of Thurs night games, it was for FD period mostly, but also a fair few seasons in PD and a lot in the 94/95 surprise winning season. I lived in Dublin for a good few years during these Thurs night years, 94-96, and hated it, so awkward getting to games, it def alienated a lot of our support base as only really suited those living and working in the town. No attraction for away fans either to travel on a Thursday.

    That was true at the time, Lilywhite lounge kept free for 21st parties etc, club were not in good financial state, and needed every penny, loads of comments on orielweb at the time, joking if we were a football club that host 21st's or a 21st venue that also hosts football games.

    I think on promotion to PD for 2009 season, it was a directive I think to change to either Fri or Sat** so thankfully Thursday was then removed and we never went back to it.

    **I also remember some FD games in 2000/01 FD played on Sat nights, better attended I think at the time.

    Then again, back in the day will many on here remember these kick off times up to early 90's?

    Oriel, Tolka, Dalymount - and later Milltown from 85 I think, games at 3.30 on a Sunday. What a routine we had those days, forced to go to mass, the big match at 1.15, sunday dinner at 2, then head to oriel, happy days !!!!

    All other grounds, 3.30 up to end of Oct, then 2.30, then 2.15 in Dec and Jan !
    #DundalkFC 5 titles in 6 years 2014/2015/2016/2018/2019

  13. Thanks From:


  14. #192
    International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Killashee Longford
    Posts
    8,373
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4,562
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    563
    Thanked in
    477 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Personally speaking, I was not a fan of Thurs night games, it was for FD period mostly, but also a fair few seasons in PD and a lot in the 94/95 surprise winning season. I lived in Dublin for a good few years during these Thurs night years, 94-96, and hated it, so awkward getting to games, it def alienated a lot of our support base as only really suited those living and working in the town. No attraction for away fans either to travel on a Thursday.

    That was true at the time, Lilywhite lounge kept free for 21st parties etc, club were not in good financial state, and needed every penny, loads of comments on orielweb at the time, joking if we were a football club that host 21st's or a 21st venue that also hosts football games.

    I think on promotion to PD for 2009 season, it was a directive I think to change to either Fri or Sat** so thankfully Thursday was then removed and we never went back to it.

    **I also remember some FD games in 2000/01 FD played on Sat nights, better attended I think at the time.

    Then again, back in the day will many on here remember these kick off times up to early 90's?

    Oriel, Tolka, Dalymount - and later Milltown from 85 I think, games at 3.30 on a Sunday. What a routine we had those days, forced to go to mass, the big match at 1.15, sunday dinner at 2, then head to oriel, happy days !!!!

    All other grounds, 3.30 up to end of Oct, then 2.30, then 2.15 in Dec and Jan !
    I think in the 01/02 season when we were both in the top flight I think we played ye on a Thurs night if my memory serves me right? Yeah could never take to it tbh
    Daire Doyles red and black army

  15. #193
    Seasoned Pro oriel's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Border
    Posts
    3,523
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    550
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    390
    Thanked in
    301 Posts
    Yes Dundalk played in PD in 01/02, crazy season as won the FAI Cup and got relegated only one year after getting promoted as FD winners.

    Not long after in 2003, that was the lowest ever finishing place by Dundalk, 3rd last in the FD, I'd say the crowds towards the end of that season were in the low hundreds.

    Thurs night's pretty depressing times back then.
    Last edited by oriel; 03/08/2020 at 2:20 PM.
    #DundalkFC 5 titles in 6 years 2014/2015/2016/2018/2019

  16. Thanks From:


  17. #194
    Seasoned Pro Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,138
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    994
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    804
    Thanked in
    540 Posts
    I wasnt fussed on Thursday nights myself bar when still at school and boarders were allowed out to go to a match. When games switched to Sunday afternoons there wasnt a significant jump in attendances and similar kind of reasons were given where students and people living away from town were on their way home, Sundays being family days etc. Any excuse really.

    Attendances in the 90s were generally poor even in comparison to a decade ago and some 1st Div seasons. 2002 Cup Final saw a bit of an upturn in younger support. Night time games under the lights always had a better atmosphere and Oriel didnt seem so sparse and open.

    I do remember the debates on where the clubs priorities were on the use of the Lilywhite Lounge but to give some idea of the need for the revenue to be maximised - in 2001/02 the Supporters Club that oversaw the running of the bar transfered just over 80k to the club, covered a number of pressing bills, and paid players wages occasionally that season. (Some of the wages paid would be eyewatering today!).

    The occasional loss of a weekend night would have been ok but for a full season it would have left a big hole in finances. People spent like mad at the vairous parties that were held especially 21st and 50th birthday do's. I always found it a bit strange but Sunday afternoons were often booked for post christening sessions also. So there could be 4 good days of trade from a Thursday match to the regular Sunday night punters (+christening before). It really was just pragmatic at the time. There was the fear also of going against Dundalk Stadium on Fridays when it was refurbished. Sunday's only work really for family days imo and a nice June day against UCD for example helped boost a crowd.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 03/08/2020 at 2:47 PM.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 277
    Last Post: 18/06/2020, 3:44 PM
  2. Attendances
    By pineapple stu in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 25/03/2011, 10:45 PM
  3. Attendances
    By pineapple stu in forum Cobh Ramblers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23/11/2005, 8:49 AM
  4. Attendances
    By pineapple stu in forum Sligo Rovers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22/11/2005, 7:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •