Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Puns

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    I can see how this is tedious to deal with, but equally isn't it Tets refusal to engage in any way with the compromises already offered, or thus far to engage with your own suggestion a compromise be found, is the root cause here ? & he's a continued period of the silence away from getting his rule made permanent ? Surely that's not how it should play out. The mod opinion was sought, several times.

Tets, would you like to offer any contribution on dahamsta post above please ?

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    24 hours might be a bit over the top. Here's my suggestion:

I'd suggest imposing a 3 day rule, because let's face it, the forum isn't quite as active as it used to be and would hardly go above 5 or 6 pun-posts. If the post count exceeds a reasonable number in a row within that timeframe of three days, then the mod would be within his remit to firstly give a warning, and secondly, if not adhered to, delete posts and/or deal with the individual posters who acted beyond warning accordingly.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Generally speaking, grow up ffs. Ye sound like spoiled teenagers the lot of ye.
    A large fraction of the active posters made a reasonable request to stop an arbitrary and irritating interference from a mod whose reaction to this perfectly reasonable request amounts to little more than a raspberry. This has dragged on for days. How about telling Tets to grow up, ffs?

Or as he might put it, "one day".

EDIT: I know I've harped on about that, but it's not remotely acceptable that he thinks that was an adequate message.
    Last edited by John83; 10/02/2020 at 11:47 PM.

5. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    3. The moderator is clearly not happy with a free for all. Come up with a compromise or the rule will be formalised as-is.
    We have come up with a compromise.

But it's hard to agree a compromise while one side says "No, my way's best", and then ignores the thread.

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    We should all be asking ourselves...what would Johnser Keane do?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Generally speaking, grow up ffs. Ye sound like spoiled teenagers the lot of ye.
    That's not fair. THEY started it!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    We have come up with a compromise.

But it's hard to agree a compromise while one side says "No, my way's best", and then ignores the thread.
    We need a new GFA. If it worked up North it can work down(on) here.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    You haven't come up with a compromise. You've come up with "there's more of us and we want it our way". Offer a compromise.

Tets, you need to weigh in ASAP -- they're engaging at least, you're not. Offer a compromise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    I think three different posters have offered comprises. Despite a fairly unanimous belief there isn't need for one. It requires discourse, or as your post suggests, can we agree one ourselves without Tets involvement and apply it ?

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Yes, compromises were clearly suggested, and ignored. None of these fit the "there's more of us and we want it our way" description at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Look in all seriousness - if Tets hates puns that much move the Conor Sammon thread to LOI section where I'm the mod and you can Pun away in there without any Punishment. I know its only a bit of craic but if Tets is that set against it and he's the only person taking time out to moderate in there then I think we should come to some solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    How about this, a page limit on pun posts, say four per page or something similar. If you're about to pun, check the page, if the limit is already reached, keep your powder dry and make a sensible contribution till a new page on the thread ? Protects from over fishing, keeps the stock healthy, no one loses, no one wins. Something for everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    We need a solution, not finger-pointing: Tets doesn’t need to apologise or rationalise his dislike of puns. In every other thread he’s a good, even-handed moderator and I think we all respect him for that.

As I see it, the options are:

• The thread can be moved – RAM suggested to his LoI threads;
    • Another moderator can take over just this thread;

Are there any other suggestions? Should it be put to a vote? Or can we reach an agreement?
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Pineapple's suggestion sounds practical to me.

By way of an alternative: Puns are always acceptable providing they are in an on-topic post. Where a sequence of posts containing only a pun and no on-topic contribution are interfering with a discussion, the mod can place a very limited temporary ban on puns, e.g. one day. This will be indicated by posting "One day" in the thread. (Or "Mod warning: posts containing a pun and no contribution to the conversation are banned for 24 hours and will be deleted." Whichever is clearer.)

My intention there is as follows: If someone works a pun into an on-topic post, the conversation continues and kudos to the wordsmith. If there is no other discussion, there's nothing to interfere with and a string of puns is better than dead air. Only if someone is trying to converse, and it's getting lost in lots of non-contributing pun posts, is there any real justification for an intervention. This is likely a pretty rare eventuality, and therefore I still prefer pineapple's suggestion.
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    24 hours might be a bit over the top. Here's my suggestion:

I'd suggest imposing a 3 day rule, because let's face it, the forum isn't quite as active as it used to be and would hardly go above 5 or 6 pun-posts. If the post count exceeds a reasonable number in a row within that timeframe of three days, then the mod would be within his remit to firstly give a warning, and secondly, if not adhered to, delete posts and/or deal with the individual posters who acted beyond warning accordingly.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 13/02/2020 at 1:17 PM.

15. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    I think, collectively, we're blue in the face offering compromises and olive branches, and having them ignored or thrown back in our faces.

There are enough suggestions above (thanks DeLorean!) that can be tidied into proposals and voted on.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    I was starting to think nobody was seeing my post to be honest..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Ok, how about a poll, in the Ireland section so all can see it over a period of time. Poll to contain - no puns allowed / pun away / tets one day rule (in the continuing and particularly disappointing circumstances of his silence, what option is there ? ) / Or similar.

Suggest also a pun free zone while this is carried out, and resolved in accordance with the present edict.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Ok, how about a poll, in the Ireland section so all can see it over a period of time. Poll to contain - no puns allowed / pun away / tets one day rule (in the continuing and particularly disappointing circumstances of his silence, what option is there ? ) / Or similar.

Suggest also a pun free zone while this is carried out, and resolved in accordance with the present edict.
    I like that idea. Democracy dies in darkness. And Tets has gone dark. Put it to the punters in the Ireland forum for a week and let the people have their say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Apologies, I came late to this thread, and frankly I'm tired of it, it's ridiculous. I also love good puns, and hate weak puns, or drawn-out pun threads; in my experience, there are rarely funny puns beyond the first 2 or 3. But how do you moderate that? Mods are voluntary, they have jobs and lives.

I'll think on this over the weekend. Which is ridiculous in and of itself.

22. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Apologies, I came late to this thread, and frankly I'm tired of it, it's ridiculous. I also love good puns, and hate weak puns, or drawn-out pun threads; in my experience, there are rarely funny puns beyond the first 2 or 3. But how do you moderate that? Mods are voluntary, they have jobs and lives.
    I can agree with most of that. I don't think there's a huge gulf here. And while I get that mods have to set rules (I've done it myself when I was a mod here), tets' approach here has been really disappointing. It's a real "**** you" to the rest of the posters, and is why the thread is rumbling on.

There's a number of suggestions there. My own is based on the idea that we don't even know if the level of puns is a problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    That's partly what i was getting at in my opening posts - mods shouldn't have to waste their time moderating things that aren't really problems. Their energy and effort should be saved for the things that posters are making complaints about or where there is negative tensions being created by dialogue. The rule that had been implemented was fairly unilateral and nobody else has ever really identified it as a problem. All things considered, a poll as suggested by CTP might be the fairest way to proceed with this in my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    bit busy at the moment
    Create a poll with the options outlined above by DeLorean, I'll abide by the results
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Okay, dissecting that post these are the options:

1 - Move the Conor Sammon thread to LOI section (Real ale Madrid)
    2 -
    Pun limit of four per page (Crafty Toe Poke)
    3 - Another mod takes over the Conor Sammon thread (Eminence Green)
    4 - Pun away, but revisit if it becomes a bigger issue (Pineapple Stu)
    5 - If puns a
    re interfering with a discussion, the mod can place a very limited temporary ban on puns (John83)
    6 - 3 day rule. If puns exceed a reasonable amount, Mod can issue warning and temporary ban
    (Nigel Harps)
    7 - One Day Rule (Tets)

Is that okay? I take it Tets isn't actually running the poll. Do you mind doing it, John83, with your new permissions on the Ireland forum?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    8. Conor Sammon retires and puts this whole fishy episode to the bottom of Davey Jones locker.

28. Thanks From:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast