Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Puns

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    pineapple stu, there's no need to get so het up over something so unimportant, calm down.
    OK, fair enough.

But we are appealing the rule here. It's not a rule. Or if it is, it's tets' own rule that he made up, and everyone on this thread seems to be in agreement that it shouldn't be a rule.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    The moderator sets the rules, the rule is clear, he acted according to the rule. Appeal the rule, not the rulebreaking.
    I would've thought it was a moderators duty to enforce the rules already in place, not create their own ones?

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I was going to ignore this line of argument as your rule is completely self-serving, asinine and irrelevant because it does not appear anywhere in the actual rules of the site but, even if it were relevant, you deleted other posts that were posted within this day limit. You cant even follow your own lousy rule.

The bigger issue, however, is as Pineapple and others have laid out - you have no authority to do what you did to these and any previous posts and you refuse to acknowledge the damage you are doing to the forum with your over-moderation on petty stuff like this.
    I deleted everything because the deadline was ignored. I would have done nothing if it wasn't.
    I didn't delete anything until after the 24 hours had passed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Tets - please stop ignoring the issue here

This rule is one you made up.

It annoys everyone, and this thread is unanimous in asking you to stop it.

Discuss

7. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    892 Posts
    The moderator sets the rules, the rule is clear, he acted according to the rule. Appeal the rule, not the rulebreaking.
    The rule is arbitrary, self-serving and contrary to the wishes of every poster who has contributed to this thread, except Tets (and you, but you're impartial for a reason). If it is to be a rule then it must be a rule for every thread i.e all 82,960 of them containing 1,754,096 posts, as per the site stats right now. If that is not going to happen, then why does one thread - a harmless bit of fun - get singled out for punitive treatment?

By the way, posting 'one day' is ambiguous: I took it to be the equivalent of an exasperated 'one day this will end' (which, in fairness, it will: Sammon's 33 and not got much playing time left) not 'one day to make jokes and then I delete your posts according to a rule I made up'.

I'm as angry as Pineapple Stu over this. There's a bunch of us taking part in the most benign form of oneupmanship you can imagine being treated very shabbily and very disrespectfully.
    Last edited by Eminence Grise; 31/01/2020 at 1:27 PM.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    If that is not going to happen, then why does one thread - a harmless bit of fun - get singled out for punitive treatment?
    You were told to stop EG.

11. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    892 Posts
    Don't get me started, RAM! To misquote Baldrick: I have a punning clan. (That's an anticipatory tongue slip, by the way, and most definitely not a pun.)

Look, all any of us want is a solution that satisfies everybody. I genuinely like Tets for his contributions here, but this has't been a good episode for the site.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    841 Posts
    I take tets point about another forum being ruined with pages of pun only content, but we have nowhere near the traffic here anymore to fear that.

There's a few of us left, that few seem pretty much unanimous on this to me, that there is no harm in this, no forum rule being broken other than a mod pet peeve being triggered which surely can be relaxed a bit given the points above ?

Would make sense to me anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post

Look, all any of us want is a solution that satisfies everybody. I genuinely like Tets for his contributions here, but this has't been a good episode for the site.
    Look in all seriousness - if Tets hates puns that much move the Conor Sammon thread to LOI section where I'm the mod and you can Pun away in there without any Punishment. I know its only a bit of craic but if Tets is that set against it and he's the only person taking time out to moderate in there then I think we should come to some solution.

Although if any of you use this as a licence to start calling the New Limerick club - Stoners FC then you are all banned for good!
    Last edited by Real ale Madrid; 31/01/2020 at 3:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    841 Posts
    It has arisen on other threads in the Ireland section, no ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    There was a bit of messing when Declan Rice identified as Irish but apart from that not much I think.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    892 Posts
    Moving the thread could work.

But Stoners FC?

And lo! The name was made flesh. And all of the Tribe of Puns did RAM it down the moderator's neck every chance they got!
    - E Tattsyrup.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    841 Posts
    I don' agree, if its a site rule then ok, but there should be consistency on the site I think, moving it to placate what should really be a non issue isn't a fix.

Think there were Parrot puns also, and it will reoccur some other time too.
    Last edited by CraftyToePoke; 31/01/2020 at 4:23 PM.

21. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    892 Posts
    I seem to recall occasonal short-lived flurries on various threads - Rice was probably the longest of those. Sammon is the only one where puns [sooo tempted to write spawn, but out of deference I won't] take on a life of their own.
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    841 Posts
    How about this, a page limit on pun posts, say four per page or something similar. If you're about to pun, check the page, if the limit is already reached, keep your powder dry and make a sensible contribution till a new page on the thread ? Protects from over fishing, keeps the stock healthy, no one loses, no one wins. Something for everyone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    How about just pun away?

Why is it such a big issue? It flares up for a day or two, then dies down, then talk goes back to why it's ridiculous that Parrott hasn't been given the number 9 jersey this year. What harm?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    841 Posts
    Yeah, I would be of that mind too, but am looking for a workable solution whereby no one has to fold. Few deep breaths from you would help Pineapple, try to reach calmer waters, as it were.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Yeah, I would be of that mind too, but am looking for a workable solution whereby no one has to fold.
    It's admirable, but the problem is it just gets unwieldy. We already have the suggestion of a 24-hour punathon - that's what's started this thread. A four-pun limit is unworkable in practice. People won't check (and really, truly, why should they?), and I think it's also the case that some people will have a different number of posts per page displaying.

Honestly, the best solution is to quietly drop the rule, delete this thread if needs be, and in a fortnight's time tets will still be a valued member of the forum community, there'll be some puns on a couple of threads and none on most threads, and this will all have been forgotten.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Only getting back to this thread now.
    I'm not against puns, I'm actually in favour of a good one liner. Most of my sense of humour is based around a relevant one liner from the Simpsons/Family Guy/Fight Club/Father Ted/anime/etc
    I'm against opening the forum and having to skip 24 new posts all based around the fact that a player's name, or surname, sounds like something else. Towell, Harness, Sammon, etc, to get to something approaching a discussion or news.
    I've no interest in reading any of it, and I'm convinced it's part of the reason there's been a drop off in traffic on YBIG. That, and the same four posters making the same arguments on every thread.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    You're still not addressing the fact that it's pretty much everyone against you here.

I don't know why (or if) YBIG traffic has dropped, but it's far more likely to be because of the general demise in forums in the past few years rather than because of a few puns.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast