Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Irish players abroad - half way point in season

  1. #1
    Reserves dynamo kerry's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2004
    Location
    Tralee
    Posts
    607
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    9
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    25
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

    Irish players abroad - half way point in season

    Here we are, half way through..
    Summary of players progress to date coming up to 6 weeks away from play offs (not counting players who are unlikely to seriously play international ball - eoin doyle for example)

    Goalie
    Randolph back in premier league...may or may not keep place when fabianski returns.
    Travers, kelleher not playing. Ohara likely second choice. Not a bad season for our keepers. Travers aside.

    Defence
    Middling style season.. Duffy may need a move..Clark getting game time....Egan doing well. Coleman recovering some form. Doherty and Stevens the class acts. Mastersons maybe making some ground. Manning emerging. Not much else to shout about. Hope still for Nathan Collins.

    Midfield
    McCarthy getting a string of games. Hourihane playing and somewhat holding his own..Hendrick seems to have recovered his place while Brady is slipping back. Mccleaan..meh..
    Molumby pulling up trees..Jason knight the emerging interest..Browne still getting his game..odowda going backwards at Bristol.. Crowley not declared but doing ok..

    Up front

    No end of teenage developments. Connolly, obafemi probably furthest ahead. Parrott well debated...Long playing well...
    Mcgoldrick playing great, Maguire having a slow season, Hogan stalled at stoke. Robinson, cameos only. Ronan Curtis doing well..

    My team of the season so far (not necessarily for march)

    Randolph
    Doherty Egan Clark Stevens
    Hendrick molumby mccarthy
    Knight
    Mcgoldrick Connolly


    Decent half season for irish players. Quite a lot of development. Progress for loads of players. A few less positive stories but overall plenty for Mick to work with and obviously very exciting once kenny gets into it..

  2. Thanks From:


  3. #2
    Reserves
    Joined
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    263
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    140
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Dunno if this is the right place for it but fair play to Ciaran Clark. Was highlighted on match of the day as the man of the match. He’s really turned things around for himself.

    Shane Long also deserves credit. It seems it’s the same every season for him. Southampton buy a new striker (Gabiadini, Ings, Adams etc etc) and Long is at the bottom of the pile, then eventually the new striker doesn’t cut it and Shane’s endeavour and all round play earns him a place in the side...

  4. Thanks From:


  5. #3
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,355
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    488
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    941
    Thanked in
    630 Posts
    I am very sure that you are not referring to Ings as "the new striker" that "doesn't cut it" but it reads that way!

  6. #4
    Reserves
    Joined
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    539
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    24
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    90
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Yes, it has been really good so far. Have a bad feeling that none of this will matter for the playoffs though. If we see a team sheet containing McClean and Whelan in the starting 11 then we'll know for sure. Mick McCarthy's second run in the job has been a huge disappointment so far. Expect more safe options that aren't actually safe options at all for the playoffs. Lots of hope for the future all the same.

    Team I'd start v Slovakia (i.e. no chance of this team starting)

    Randolph, Doherty, Duffy, Egan, Stevens, McCarthy, Molumby, Hourihane, Connolly, Long, McGoldrick.

    Like I said, no chance.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Long Cox

  7. Thanks From:


  8. #5
    First Team
    Joined
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,037
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    831
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    466
    Thanked in
    313 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Yes, it has been really good so far. Have a bad feeling that none of this will matter for the playoffs though. If we see a team sheet containing McClean and Whelan in the starting 11 then we'll know for sure. Mick McCarthy's second run in the job has been a huge disappointment so far. Expect more safe options that aren't actually safe options at all for the playoffs. Lots of hope for the future all the same.

    Team I'd start v Slovakia (i.e. no chance of this team starting)

    Randolph, Doherty, Duffy, Egan, Stevens, McCarthy, Molumby, Hourihane, Connolly, Long, McGoldrick.

    Like I said, no chance.
    I'd say in fairness apart from molumby that team might very well start I think mick would likely pick Hendrick instead. At this stage mick has 1 game left so loyalty does not matter anymore so I think he might go with form players instead. Watching Whelan take a bass from Randolph on the edge of the area turn and pass it out of play on Steven's side against Denmark summed up the panic he brings to an Irish side.

  9. #6
    First Team
    Joined
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,037
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    831
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    466
    Thanked in
    313 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Yes, it has been really good so far. Have a bad feeling that none of this will matter for the playoffs though. If we see a team sheet containing McClean and Whelan in the starting 11 then we'll know for sure. Mick McCarthy's second run in the job has been a huge disappointment so far. Expect more safe options that aren't actually safe options at all for the playoffs. Lots of hope for the future all the same.

    Team I'd start v Slovakia (i.e. no chance of this team starting)

    Randolph, Doherty, Duffy, Egan, Stevens, McCarthy, Molumby, Hourihane, Connolly, Long, McGoldrick.

    Like I said, no chance.
    I'd say in fairness apart from molumby that team might very well start I think mick would likely pick Hendrick instead. At this stage mick has 1 game left so loyalty does not matter anymore so I think he might go with form players instead. Watching Whelan take a bass from Randolph on the edge of the area turn and pass it out of play on Steven's side against Denmark summed up the panic he brings to an Irish side.

  10. #7
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,355
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    488
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    941
    Thanked in
    630 Posts
    I can't see Mick going with 3 strikers. I do feel that those 3 would offer us a significant threat going forward. When McGoldrick is at 9, they can pull wide. When McGoldrick is at 10, they can tuck in centrally. A potential way we could do it would be to play both Whelan and McCarthy in midfield, with Hendrick or Hourihane ahead of them.

    I can't see Doherty displacing Coleman. I think the back 5 is settled.

  11. #8
    Reserves
    Joined
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    539
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    24
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    90
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I can't see Mick going with 3 strikers. I do feel that those 3 would offer us a significant threat going forward. When McGoldrick is at 9, they can pull wide. When McGoldrick is at 10, they can tuck in centrally. A potential way we could do it would be to play both Whelan and McCarthy in midfield, with Hendrick or Hourihane ahead of them.

    I can't see Doherty displacing Coleman. I think the back 5 is settled.
    The bit in bold is basically what I had in mind, but I went for Molumby ahead of Whelan because I think we should pick our best players and I believe at this stage Molumby is better than Whelan. Cullen could also do the job if fit and I would be happy enough with that team if Molumby wasn't there but Cullen was. Connolly on the left, Long on the right feeding off McGoldrick in the middle. None of those three are prolific goalscorers but they are all capable of getting us a goal, as are Duffy, Doherty and Hourihane from that 11.

    I'd be amazed if McClean doesn't start though. I don't want to be too harsh on him because he works hard and could genuinely offer something off the bench in the last 20 minutes, but he gives the ball away far to often to be a first eleven pick for us.
    Last edited by Eirambler; 19/01/2020 at 11:01 AM.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Long Cox

  12. #9
    Reserves dynamo kerry's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2004
    Location
    Tralee
    Posts
    607
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    9
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    25
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    The bit in bold is basically what I had in mind, but I went for Molumby ahead of Whelan because I think we should pick our best players and I believe at this stage Molumby is better than Whelan. Cullen could also do the job if fit and I would be happy enough with that team if Molumby wasn't there but Cullen was. Connolly on the left, Long on the right feeding off McGoldrick in the middle. None of those three are prolific goalscorers but they are all capable of getting us a goal, as are Duffy, Doherty and Hourihane from that 11.

    I'd be amazed if McClean doesn't start though. I don't want to be too harsh on him because he works hard and could genuinely offer something off the bench in the last 20 minutes, but he gives the ball away far to often to be a first eleven pick for us.
    Nothing about mcleans season suggests he should start. Glenn was needed in a pinchin the autumn but no reason to stick now.

  13. #10
    Reserves
    Joined
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    941
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    17
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    210
    Thanked in
    158 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    The bit in bold is basically what I had in mind, but I went for Molumby ahead of Whelan because I think we should pick our best players and I believe at this stage Molumby is better than Whelan. Cullen could also do the job if fit and I would be happy enough with that team if Molumby wasn't there but Cullen was. Connolly on the left, Long on the right feeding off McGoldrick in the middle. None of those three are prolific goalscorers but they are all capable of getting us a goal, as are Duffy, Doherty and Hourihane from that 11.

    I'd be amazed if McClean doesn't start though. I don't want to be too harsh on him because he works hard and could genuinely offer something off the bench in the last 20 minutes, but he gives the ball away far to often to be a first eleven pick for us.
    I would have similar set up.
    ---------------------Randy.
    Coleman duffy Egan Steven's
    Doherty Cullen McCarthy Connolly
    ‐--‐--------------- mcgoldrick
    ‐----------------- obafemi

    Conor H. Jeff, and mclean have been so poor this campaign I think it would actually be reckless not to completely change the midfield

  14. #11
    Apprentice
    Joined
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    64
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    19
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Shane Duffy will not be moving. Interviewed in yesterday’s NI Daily Mirror and states he loves it at Brighton and isn’t even contemplating it.

    As for McClean providing he is fit then anyone who thinks he won’t start when Mick is manager is indulging in some very wishful thinking. He will continue to be a mainstay in the starting XI.
    Last edited by DCWA; 19/01/2020 at 12:21 PM.

  15. #12
    Reserves
    Joined
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    941
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    17
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    210
    Thanked in
    158 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    Shane Duffy will not be moving. Interviewed in yesterday’s NI Daily Mirror and states he loves it at Brighton and isn’t even contemplating it.

    As for McClean providing he is fit then anyone who thinks he won’t start when Mick is manager is indulging in some very wishful thinking. He will continue to be a mainstay in the starting XI.
    Unfortunately correct and we wont be going to euro 2020

  16. #13
    Reserves dynamo kerry's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2004
    Location
    Tralee
    Posts
    607
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    9
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    25
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    On the whole though, very positive season for irish football so far. An uptick in lads playing at the highest level, more u21 lads getting first team ball. Transfer wise, very quiet. Not going on loan seems to be the trend. Surprised no championship club has tried to buy Curtis though..

  17. #14
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,355
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    488
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    941
    Thanked in
    630 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamo kerry View Post
    On the whole though, very positive season for irish football so far. An uptick in lads playing at the highest level, more u21 lads getting first team ball. Transfer wise, very quiet. Not going on loan seems to be the trend. Surprised no championship club has tried to buy Curtis though..
    Not yet anyway. Blackburn supposedly heavily interested.

  18. #15
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    17,943
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,722
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5,068
    Thanked in
    3,203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    I'd say in fairness apart from molumby that team might very well start I think mick would likely pick Hendrick instead. At this stage mick has 1 game left so loyalty does not matter anymore so I think he might go with form players instead. Watching Whelan take a bass from Randolph on the edge of the area turn and pass it out of play on Steven's side against Denmark summed up the panic he brings to an Irish side.
    If I was playing Denmark and my keeper started lumping fish at me I'd probably loose my cool as well.

  19. Thanks From:


  20. #16
    Reserves Yard of Pace's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    993
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    170
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    287
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    If I was playing Denmark and my keeper started lumping fish at me I'd probably loose my cool as well.


    In fairness to Mick, he surprised us with picking the likes of Jack Byrne for multiple squads. He travelled to see Crowley not even play in the Dutch Cup final, then went down to Waterford to watch our Under-17s.

    I believe Mick only wants the best for Irish football and won't pick based on favouritism. He had to come in to this campaign with no friendlies and we're still in with every chance of qualifying. The group ended poorly for us except for the performance against Denmark, and as we all said leaving the Danish game, if the players perform to that level again, we should be able to get past Slovakia.

    I'm optimistic. Have to be!

    Not too long ago Stevens, Didsy, Egan weren't around. Now all indispensible for a great Sheffield United team. Clark, McCarthy, Long some others, have shown great character and desire to get back playing regularly.
    Just to pick a couple of things from the top of my head. We have an accomplished match-winner in Doherty playing for one of the best teams in the league...
    These players will relish the game in March.

Similar Threads

  1. A Half Season To Forget For Irish Players
    By thepiedpiper in forum Ireland
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05/01/2011, 8:12 PM
  2. Irish players abroad
    By Frank76 in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02/12/2010, 1:05 AM
  3. Irish Players Abroad 06/07
    By eirebhoy in forum Ireland
    Replies: 920
    Last Post: 02/08/2007, 1:11 AM
  4. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07/07/2007, 3:36 AM
  5. season half way point
    By max power in forum Longford Town
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29/06/2004, 4:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •