Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: M.C. member

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

M.C. member

I read on the match programme each week the names of the management committee. One name in particular pops up. Kevin Dykes. I have yet to see him at a game this season. AFAIK he does not carry out any of the functions that you see other MC members at on match nights. So, can anyone shed any light on this man? Is he a member of the MC? Maybe he has some job that is not in the public eye!
    I have scattered my dreams underneath your feet, tread carefully, cos it's my dreams you walk on.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wink

Mmmmmm, this should be an intresting thread!...............

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

Question

He's Gavin Dykes father is'nt he?
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts

Gavin Dykes managing junior club in Mayo

Gavin managing castlebar celtic, jumior club in mayo and making a few bob out of it too

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swinfordfc
    Gavin managing castlebar celtic, jumior club in mayo and making a few bob out of it too
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    On a general view of the MC you would think it would be mandatory for all MC members attend all home games and help out the club on match days i.e. stewarding, on the gates etc. (The club is always looking for volunteers to help out)
    Misfits

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    From what I can gather on this is that Kevin was an active member of the MC last year but because of health issues wasn't involved towards the latter end of the year. The election of the MC at the AGM was called for as there were no new people interested enough to go forward so the committee remained the same with the same people etc. That's my reading of the situation I may be wrong and as always open to correction. The AGM and the election of a new committee I think says a great deal about the members and supporters of SRFC when no new person put their name forward for election.
    'Don't dream - to dream is to be disappointed'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Yes, I was told alright that he was not attending meetings either. So the reason I put forward this thread, was, that if it is the case of a member not been in a situation to fulfil his or her duty; should they not step down?
    Then there would be the option of co-opting a member of the supporters trust onto the M.C.
    I'm sure that if a "ST" member was on the M.C. him or her would play an active roll in the running of the club, as well as representing the supporters.
    What's the view out there?
    I have scattered my dreams underneath your feet, tread carefully, cos it's my dreams you walk on.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Redzer
    Yes, I was told alright that he was not attending meetings either. So the reason I put forward this thread, was, that if it is the case of a member not been in a situation to fulfil his or her duty; should they not step down?
    Then there would be the option of co-opting a member of the supporters trust onto the M.C.
    I'm sure that if a "ST" member was on the M.C. him or her would play an active roll in the running of the club, as well as representing the supporters.
    What's the view out there?
    I often wonder do supporters really know how SRFC is structured. Talking about members of the committee stepping down and co-opting other members on. Look back to the clubs AGM last february, not one person/member put their name forward for election to the committee. Now we can come up with all sorts of reasons here but the reality is the interest is not there. Anyone that ever sat on any type of comittee will know how time consuming it is and I'm sure being on the committee of SRFC is no different. These people are volunteers at the end of the day and I think too much is expected of them. Time and time again the call has gone out from the committee for supporters to help out in whatever way they can but the call nearly always goes unanswered which begs the question; what does the future hold for SRFC. Looking at the committee agewise there's a lot of elderly people there, people that have gone a long way to keep the flag flying down through the years and the supporters of SRFC have these people to thank for having a club there to support.
    The way in which the club is structured anyone providing their a member of SRFC can join the committee. As far as I know there's a couple of vacancies presently there to be filled and I'm sure any committee member would only be to happy to have a chat with anyone that showed interest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Petmuller, I understand fully how Sligo Rovers is structured and how the committee operates. If a member of the committee is not attending meetings or for that matter not playing any roll what so ever in the running of the club, then why is that person on the committee? He or she should stand down.
    I attended the AGM , so I am fully aware that no new names were put forward. But, then we had not an organisation in place like the Supporters Thrust. We now have a body which is willing to put its shoulder to the wheel, and do its best for the future of Rovers. If that body is to have any influence on the decision making within the club, then, it must have a representative on the committee.
    I was not aware that there were vacancies presently to be filled on the committee, so, the logical thing was to propose a co-option in place of defunct or absentee member.
    The elderly people you refer to like Pakie and Johnny are working week in and week out for the club. They have as much right as anyone to be there. Padraig stepped down at the last AGM, and yet he is playing a very active part within the club. It looks like we could use more elderly people not less.
    Of coarse it is volunteerly, but why volunteer to do nothing? That’s my point

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Redzer
    Petmuller, I understand fully how Sligo Rovers is structured and how the committee operates. If a member of the committee is not attending meetings or for that matter not playing any roll what so ever in the running of the club, then why is that person on the committee? He or she should stand down.
    I attended the AGM , so I am fully aware that no new names were put forward. But, then we had not an organisation in place like the Supporters Thrust. We now have a body which is willing to put its shoulder to the wheel, and do its best for the future of Rovers. If that body is to have any influence on the decision making within the club, then, it must have a representative on the committee.
    I was not aware that there were vacancies presently to be filled on the committee, so, the logical thing was to propose a co-option in place of defunct or absentee member.
    The elderly people you refer to like Pakie and Johnny are working week in and week out for the club. They have as much right as anyone to be there. Padraig stepped down at the last AGM, and yet he is playing a very active part within the club. It looks like we could use more elderly people not less.
    Of coarse it is volunteerly, but why volunteer to do nothing? That’s my point
    Redzer I think you've misunderstood what I mean when I say that the committee is growing old gracefully. I'm not having a go at anyone on the committee and I certainly don't think they should be asked to leave the committee because of their age. What I'm saying is that the reality is that these people are indeed growing old and there's no one coming forward to replace them. If this be the trend in the years to come what's the long term outlook for the club? That's all I'm saying. I really don't know what's worse having some inactive person on the committee or having no committee at all
    You seem to pin your hopes on the trust but is there people there with the drive to get involved with the committee and supply the much needed blood required? I don't know, you seem to think so. If yes then I welcome the development. The club needs new blood, new ideas and people with the drive required to make our club big again.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Petmuller
    You seem to pin your hopes on the trust but [B
    is there people there with the drive to get involved with the committee [/B] and supply the much needed blood required? I don't know, you seem to think so. If yes then I welcome the development. The club needs new blood, new ideas and people with the drive required to make our club big again.
    Apologies if i'm misreading this or taking this up wrong. Are you asking is there people in the trust with the drive to get involved with the committee ?
    Last edited by garykelly; 23/05/2005 at 10:04 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garykelly
    Apologies if i'm misreading this or taking this up wrong. Are you asking is there people in the trust with the drive to get involved with the committee ?
    There are different ways of looking at this whole issue, I'll never say or think that I have the answers. The whole idea of the Trust concept is great in its own right but neither the trust or the management committee can be compared with each other. The trust will work if it get's the backing from the supporters and more so if it's allowed to by the management committee. It may seem that I'm talking in riddles here but I know people that know only too well what I'm saying. The problem with the management committee, I use the word 'problem' for the want of a better word, is that no one wants to get involved because basically it involves too much work. The era of running any organisation on a voluntary basis is sadly drawing to a close. In order for Rovers to have any type of a future it will have to adapt a whole new professional approach which will mean paying professional people to operate the business end of the club. A chief executive officer and a commerical manager is but two positions which need filling in the near future. The opening of the all weather facility will demand that it's operated at the highest profitable basis with only the full interest of the club at heart. The club is the big one here and people/supporters must recognise this fact. The club will always depend on the good will of the general public and expect people to give their time freely in the areas of ticket selling and helping out on match nights but it's too much to expect these same people to be burdened with the extra load of keeping the club going on a day to day basis. Taking all this on board and then asking the question regarding the people now involved with the trust as to will they be driven both mentally and physically to take on the full task at hand. I don't think it's such a daft question at all.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Petmuller
    There are different ways of looking at this whole issue, I'll never say or think that I have the answers. The whole idea of the Trust concept is great in its own right but neither the trust or the management committee can be compared with each other. The trust will work if it get's the backing from the supporters and more so if it's allowed to by the management committee. It may seem that I'm talking in riddles here but I know people that know only too well what I'm saying. The problem with the management committee, I use the word 'problem' for the want of a better word, is that no one wants to get involved because basically it involves too much work. The era of running any organisation on a voluntary basis is sadly drawing to a close. In order for Rovers to have any type of a future it will have to adapt a whole new professional approach which will mean paying professional people to operate the business end of the club. A chief executive officer and a commerical manager is but two positions which need filling in the near future. The opening of the all weather facility will demand that it's operated at the highest profitable basis with only the full interest of the club at heart. The club is the big one here and people/supporters must recognise this fact. The club will always depend on the good will of the general public and expect people to give their time freely in the areas of ticket selling and helping out on match nights but it's too much to expect these same people to be burdened with the extra load of keeping the club going on a day to day basis. Taking all this on board and then asking the question regarding the people now involved with the trust as to will they be driven both mentally and physically to take on the full task at hand. I don't think it's such a daft question at all.
    Petmuller, I wasnt intimating that it was a daft question. I just wanted to clarify instead of replying on an assumption of what it is you were saying. I agree with all of your points. I dont agree however,that the success of the trust will happen if the MC lets it happen. This isnt the case. The trust will be an independant supporter organisation. It will be there to help the club not hinder it so I cannot see how the MC would not want it to be successful.

To answer your question I believe those currently involved in the trust do have the drive to take on the full task. The trust knows the level of work needed. It's massive. Personally if i didnt think I could handle it, I wouldnt be doing it. I believe in doing everything properly and to the highest standard possible. The trust itself has involved a massive amount of work. At least 4 days a week, I'm involved in the trust. Be it penning minutes, implementing fund raising ideas, organising the legal side, organising sponsorship and issuing reciepts + info packs to businesses, updating website (which i cant now do for 2 weeks), organising Player of month, answering/taking note of supporter questions. There is alot to do, but with more help there would not be much for one person to do. So hopefully that goes some way to your questioning the drive of the trust. I'm new to this I must admit and to whatever has gone on before. But I would like to think Petmuller, that you too would like to get involved in the trust. People such as yourself would be a good addition in terms of ideas and practical advice.

The trust as it is now only consists of a working group who are trying to establish the trust.

When the trust is up and running, I would like to think alot of supporters would then like to get involved. The trust is a perfect chance for supporters to get involved.

However if supporters arent willing to put in a small bit of effort, becuase as you said the trust is dependant on supporter backing. The trust are supporters. So backing it, is backing all supporters of Sligo Rovers and of football.

I agree that the days of running a club on a voluntary basis are coming to an end. So too does the passive nature of supporters. I was passive I have to admit, until I realised supporter involvement is a way to bring the club forward quicker, instead of relying of someone else to do it.

Hopefully the trust can bring in supporters who do want to help but currently dont know how to go about doing that.
    Last edited by garykelly; 24/05/2005 at 9:21 AM.