Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Friendlies 2020

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    No genuine question. There will be need for a significant security presence in Drogheda next Friday supposedly so wondered if it was decided to not have anything much else on that day. Wouldnt have made for a particularly funny joke!
    There have been gangland feuds and killings in Dublin and elsewhere for years, I don’t recall any places being deemed no go zones for football matches.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Pats 6-0 Fermoy earlier on.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student View Post
    That one is against our wrestling team and is scheduled for the sports centre.
    Is "our wrestling team" an affectionate name for UCD Reserves ?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    There have been gangland feuds and killings in Dublin and elsewhere for years, I don’t recall any places being deemed no go zones for football matches.
    Except that time last year when Rovers (I think it was) fans cancelled, or had cancelled, a bus to the Brandywell because of the Lyra McKee shooting.

The same weekend there'd been 3 or 4 murders in Dublin - and loads more in the weeks beforehand. Some people are just irrational idiots.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Is "our wrestling team" an affectionate name for UCD Reserves ?
    It's a reference to Harps', shall we say, no holds barred physical style of play, which us football connoisseurs at UCD can't help but look down on.

Particularly came to a head in the 2015 season, when Harps beat us in the play-off. (There's some fun quotes in my One Night In Dudelange book around it )
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 19/01/2020 at 10:00 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Galway 3 - 3 Sligo

Was 1-0 Galway at h/t before all 11 players were subbed off with a new team for second half.

https://galwayunitedfc.ie/match-repo...galway-united/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Is this because of recent events in the town? If it is its shows again how serious this all is and the concern for the general publics safety.
    Well it was due to be played in Abbotstown. Its now actually supposed to happen on Thursday in United Park now but waiting on final approval.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Good to get football back tonight. Cant be too critical of a 7-1 result first game back. Glad Hoban got on the scoresheet at the end as even preseason it would have been a little worrying if yer main striker wasnt in on the act when 7 are scored and a mounntain of good chances created. Murray going off with an injury is another concern. Seeing Sava on the bench was a bit of a surprise, ive never had that much confidence in him even as backup but the devil ye know and all that if he is to sign back.
    Only training with the club while he looks for a new club. Seen him at bray last season down in Longford and he was woeful

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Galway 2-0 Harps in Sligo tonight.

Good run out for a mostly reserve side. McGinley, Todd, Timlin the only real starters from the Harps squad announced so far.

Mark Russell came on in the second half too. After that most of the first team will likely play tomorrow.

Mikey Place goal was something spectacular though. Went off injured two minutes later so he certainly had an interesting cameo.

Galway looking handy though. Played some good football.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Bohs 2-0 LTFC: very much a blowing off the cobwebs exercise for Town who used 20 players including trialists. Played a 16 year old in the middle second half who looked confident on the ball, I'm probably worried by a lack of experience this season but Daire Doyle seems very enthusiastic about what he's got to work with while I'm always impressed when ever I see Bohs they are always so well organised, would love to see long in a job with a few pound to spend one day.

Also seen the first referee howler of the season, town awarded an indirect free kick inside the area after a pass back. Referee never got the wall back the 10 yards but allowed us to take it anyway, blew the whistle our lad struck it clean as ya like it was past the keeper and crossing the line only for the ref to blow for the Bohs wall encroaching on the ball before it was shifted, goal disallowed and re-take was of course blocked.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Dundalk v Cluj in Alicante tomorrow is live on the Cluj FB page i believe.(for anyone interested)

What time(Ireland) is k/o at? 5pm on Dfc.com & 3pm in other places Spain is currently +1 hour GMT right

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Bohs 2-0 LTFC: very much a blowing off the cobwebs exercise for Town who used 20 players including trialists. Played a 16 year old in the middle second half who looked confident on the ball, I'm probably worried by a lack of experience this season but Daire Doyle seems very enthusiastic about what he's got to work with while I'm always impressed when ever I see Bohs they are always so well organised, would love to see long in a job with a few pound to spend one day.

Also seen the first referee howler of the season, town awarded an indirect free kick inside the area after a pass back. Referee never got the wall back the 10 yards but allowed us to take it anyway, blew the whistle our lad struck it clean as ya like it was past the keeper and crossing the line only for the ref to blow for the Bohs wall encroaching on the ball before it was shifted, goal disallowed and re-take was of course blocked.
    Seemed a bizarre decision by the ref alright, particularly when the encroachment for the re taken kick was even more blatant. Competitive enough game. Longford have some decent players and played a bit of football. Danny Grant made a big difference when he came on and he and a lot of other Bohs players look as if they have kept fit during the break.
    Pretty chaotic getting in and out of AUL with a decent crowd turning up.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Cork beat UCC 1-0 last night.

Pats will play Wexford in TUD Blanchardstown this Sunday at 2 o'clock

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    No sign of Magerusan for Bohs ?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post

Was that Matthew O'Brien who we signed from Phoenix FC? Daire Doyle said he has great potential to be a cracking player.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Legend View Post
    Was that Matthew O'Brien who we signed from Phoenix FC? Daire Doyle said he has great potential to be a cracking player.
    It was indeed. Basically 2 months ago he was playing CM for phoenix in a relatively poor DDSL u17 league. My son has played all his schoolboy football alongside Matt. For a 16yr old he has great potential

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Dundalk beating Cluj 1-0 pity it isnt a CL match! Probably been posted but is available live here https://www.facebook.com/cfr1907/vid...3418891019270/

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Was Anto Breslin involved for Bohs last night? Think Spain is same time zone as far as I can remember.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    Cork beat UCC 1-0 last night.
    I know it's pre-season - and UCC are a half-decent non-league side in mid-season - but that has to be a disappointing result I'd have thought?

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I know it's pre-season - and UCC are a half-decent non-league side in mid-season - but that has to be a disappointing result I'd have thought?
    Pre-season results are generally unimportant. Building fitness, getting players used to each other, working on tactics and trying to build performances are way more important.

Cork may have plenty of things to worry about in the season ahead - winning a pre-season friendly is not one of them

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast