Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Dublin Terminal Decision

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Red face Dublin Terminal Decision

Is this Berties greatest ever "decision"?

3-4 years to decide to build something. No decision on what it will look like, who will build, who will run it. Dispite this we are now supposed to believe going to complete in 4 years.

Even better is the "decision" to build a 3rd Terminal before even started the 2nd one.

This isn't a FF bashing post but Jebus is there any wonder the countries infrastructure is so sh!te & costs so much.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    pete as usual, being irish we have done it the arsed way around, instead of predicting for the future and trying to build a decent infrastructure to coincide with the growth in the economy, we instead witnessed the growth in the econoomy and then decided to try and accomodate that huge growth when it was too late. most countries develop thier infrastructure and then go about bringing big business in.

and i know before anyone comments on the fact well you need tax and revenue to do this and you get this from big companies investing in your country, fair enough, but you can still create basic infrastructure on what you have already got i.e. railways, roads and airports. the transport system as a whole in ireland is disgraceful.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Should've been a second terminal, run and operated by DAA, plus a second airport - develop Baldonnel or somewhere else not northside. Pain in me bollóx from the drive across the city, and it's actually quicker to go on the ferry when we go to Manch visiting...
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    i thought the reason behind this is the government want to be able land private jets etc there. diplomats and the likes, plus the army still use it.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What is funny about this is that it's been reported as a major defeat for the PDs. Then today Harney comes out with some old b*ll*cksology about she would have fired the civil servant in the Dept of Health over the missing file.

She gets put in her box by Ahern, so then has to come out with some pathetic story to try to look tough....the sooner these cnuts disappear off the face of the earth the better.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter McGowan
    should definately be 2 competing airports in Dublin eg Baldonnel and Dub Airport. Would lower prices (eg landing costs) and give choice rather than the shambles of a monopoly we have in Dublin Airport at the moment!
    The airport authority has been hamstrung for years by Governments not willing to make a decision. 10 years ago they wanted to build a second terminal, but weren't let, and haven't been let. It's become a shambles, but whether that's their fault I would have my doubts - it mustn't be forgotten that the board is politically appointed too.

One thing that seems to be being overlooked is that it's whoever controls the runway that is the greatest influence over price - so makes sod all difference who runs the terminals.

Paul O'Shea - real reason why Baldonnel isn't ever considered is who's constituency would be most effected by increased air traffic...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    To win a couple of seats in North Dublin Bertie has really screwed the country this time.

Dublin Airport is a disaster area at the moment and how the DAA are even allowed to continue to misrun the current terminal is a mystery.

International Prospect Green Tribe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    speaking of traffic, I haven't been in Dublin airport for 2 years now, how long approx (at rush hour) does it take u getting from it to the city centre?

Cheers
    KT

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    depends.

average 40 mins to hour. if you get the aircoach maybe quicker or 747 bus.

all depends on traffic.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thumbs down

The DAA like most semi state bodies are unable to build cost effective infrastructure. They are no different than any private monopoly protecting their patch & stiffling competition at any chance. DAA (previously Aer Rianta) objected to building of private parking, private bus operators get crappy location in the airport etc...

How the hell can the government make decision to build without any idea of cost or location???

Classic Bertie fudge & nice little deal for him & his union buddies.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    The semi states would do fine, if the dicks in Government would stop treating them like a personal play thing.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm glad that the Unions "won", if thats in actual fact what they did.

Without Unions, we all be working for Harney et al in sweatshops for gruel and water and living in workhouses. Gimme the unions EVERYTIME, no matter how bad they can be, they are not as bad as the f*cking P f*cking Ds and their well heeled supporters...