Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: CSKA saves my day

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

CSKA saves my day

I don't know exactly if it was on this boards included, but ever since the UEFA Cup reached more or less interesting stages I made no secret of my preference for CSKA Moscow as winners. (the ones that don't believe me and think I'm gloryhunting here: if you can read Dutch check www.fans-talk.com where I stated already weeks ago that CSKA had my support)

It was a terrible day for me. A virus keeps me in bed most of the time, burning headache... Then I decide to despite illness get myself in front of the TV to see the final, at half-time it seems it's all lost, and then one marvellous 45 minutes later and CSKA lifts the trophy. No better way of getting a frustrating day off your system than a wonderful night of football

It was fully deserved. Sporting, who got the home advantage (should NEVER be in a final), did have more possession but apart from a few half chances they did not have big opportunities in the first half. Akifeev had nothing to do, the goal was not really a chance but an individual class act, and CSKA already had the better chances with a header just over the bar and a huge miss just before halftime...

Not good play from Moscow though, I must say. But they played a very good second half. From the moment they equalised on I felt like it would be a good night after all. You could see how they took control, Sporting could not create any actual chances (except for a shot stopped by Akifeev) while every counter from the Russians was dangerous. The 1-2 was a great counter.

Then the 1-3 was what makes football such a beautiful game... (at least when the team of your choice is on the winning side ). Sporting has a chance which is goal in 90% of the cases but the ball bounces off the post. One minute and a very fast counter later the ball lies in the other net and the trophy goes to Russia...

Congrats to CSKA !
    Visit my favourite teams :

www.kvo.be - www.shelbournefc.ie - www.rosenborg.info

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit
    I don't know exactly if it was on this boards included, but ever since the UEFA Cup reached more or less interesting stages I made no secret of my preference for CSKA Moscow as winners. (the ones that don't believe me and think I'm gloryhunting here: if you can read Dutch check www.fans-talk.com where I stated already weeks ago that CSKA had my support)

It was a terrible day for me. A virus keeps me in bed most of the time, burning headache... Then I decide to despite illness get myself in front of the TV to see the final, at half-time it seems it's all lost, and then one marvellous 45 minutes later and CSKA lifts the trophy. No better way of getting a frustrating day off your system than a wonderful night of football

It was fully deserved. Sporting, who got the home advantage (should NEVER be in a final), did have more possession but apart from a few half chances they did not have big opportunities in the first half. Akifeev had nothing to do, the goal was not really a chance but an individual class act, and CSKA already had the better chances with a header just over the bar and a huge miss just before halftime...

Not good play from Moscow though, I must say. But they played a very good second half. From the moment they equalised on I felt like it would be a good night after all. You could see how they took control, Sporting could not create any actual chances (except for a shot stopped by Akifeev) while every counter from the Russians was dangerous. The 1-2 was a great counter.

Then the 1-3 was what makes football such a beautiful game... (at least when the team of your choice is on the winning side ). Sporting has a chance which is goal in 90% of the cases but the ball bounces off the post. One minute and a very fast counter later the ball lies in the other net and the trophy goes to Russia...

Congrats to CSKA !
    Yes well done to the Chelsea 'B' team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Is this the post-Soviet football revival-capitalist style?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Lokomotiv is more my side.

BTW, wasn't CSKA the army side in the good old days? When did they hand it over to Roman PLC?
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lopez
    Lokomotiv is more my side.

BTW, wasn't CSKA the army side in the good old days? When did they hand it over to Roman PLC?
    Twas indeed the army side. Roman only has a stake if Im not mistaken.

Moscow was the largest city never to have one of its clubs win a european trophy until last night!
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior
    Twas indeed the army side. Roman only has a stake if Im not mistaken.
    nope, he just gave them a shirt sponsorship deal worth ... well millions
    SIBNEFT is Roman's little firm
    Last edited by madjack; 19/05/2005 at 2:49 PM. Reason: bad quote

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    CSKA must have the worst supporters ever to grace a european final. There was hardly any of them there, and even the ones that were there looked depressed and incapable of celebrating. They showed pictures of some female fans when they were parading the cup and they looked as if they didn't know what was going on. Here's hoping that a Russian side never gets to a final ever again. The support for the national team is the same, completely useless at major finals and away games, and always has been.

Gerrit, I don't understand you being 'happy' for a team that you only showed preference for "ever since the UEFA Cup reached more or less interesting stages". Do you have a team in every country of the world or what?! Personally, I couldn't care less who wins what if the two teams playing mean nothing to me, especially two also rans such as CSKA and Sporting.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4tothefloor
    CSKA must have the worst supporters ever to grace a european final. There was hardly any of them there, and even the ones that were there looked depressed and incapable of celebrating. They showed pictures of some female fans when they were parading the cup and they looked as if they didn't know what was going on. Here's hoping that a Russian side never gets to a final ever again. The support for the national team is the same, completely useless at major finals and away games, and always has been.
    Think that is very harsh. Yeah only a couple of thouand made the long and & expensive trip. However, they made noise pretty much throughout the 90 minutes. This was audible in a stadium that had 40-50k of home supporters.

Im n ot sure what CSKA get for home league games, but bear in mind that they have a number of temas based in Moscow, added to the fact that Ice hoockey is in fact the national sport.

I too wanted CSKA to win, Im not sure why, especially with Sporting donning the green & white hoops, it must be the underdog thing!
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior
    Think that is very harsh. Yeah only a couple of thouand made the long and & expensive trip. However, they made noise pretty much throughout the 90 minutes. This was audible in a stadium that had 40-50k of home supporters.
    They would have recieved an equal allocation as the other finalists initially, which they obviously didn't take up. If they're not going to travel for a European final, what's the point? Expensive trip it may have been, but Ireland wasn't exactly awash with wealth when thousands travelled to Euro88, Italia90 and USA94. There's plenty of examples of working class cities whose fans still make the effort. Abramovich must be attracted to clubs with crap fans

Im n ot sure what CSKA get for home league games, but bear in mind that they have a number of temas based in Moscow, added to the fact that Ice hockey is in fact the national sport.
    No excuse for the shameful turnout.

I too wanted CSKA to win, Im not sure why, especially with Sporting donning the green & white hoops, it must be the underdog thing!
    The Celtic brigade will love that!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    To be fair, Moscow is hardly a wealthy city. It is not a million years ago when you had the long queues into the local shops for the basics as there was little food and huge inflation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4tothefloor

Gerrit, I don't understand you being 'happy' for a team that you only showed preference for "ever since the UEFA Cup reached more or less interesting stages". Do you have a team in every country of the world or what?! Personally, I couldn't care less who wins what if the two teams playing mean nothing to me, especially two also rans such as CSKA and Sporting.

Yes, I have a favourite club in almost every country. In Russia, it's Alania Vladikavkaz !

But yes, as soon as the Scandinavian teams went out, CSKA somehow caught my eye and I started hoping they'd win. That was before they reached the semi-finals and I never thought they'd make it.

And that's the nice aspect of football: I can watch two teams I hardly know at all, and still somehow, due to things I cannot even name myself, my sympathy goes towards one side, purely an emotional/intuitional thing without any ratio behind it. And then I somehow cheer on that side, yet not fanatically of course.
    But I had that feeling for the first time with CSKA before the final stages of the tournament, so by the final my feeling of sympathy was fuelled a few times. Plus, I have a very deep interest/fascination in the city of Moscow, which also fuelled my hopes Moscow would win. Put all these factors together and you can conclude I am not a CSKA fan, but I am a strong sympathisant.

And, thanks to CSKA, had a great night in the pub. And isn't that the most important about football ? Having a good night out ? There should not always be a reason behind intuitive preferences for a team. And in this case, there were a few reasons.
    Visit my favourite teams :

www.kvo.be - www.shelbournefc.ie - www.rosenborg.info