Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 101 to 120 of 120

Thread: Will Smallbone M Stoke (loan from Southampton) b.2000

  1. #101
    Reserves
    Joined
    Sep 2021
    Posts
    960
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    235
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Replaced at half time for Broja and not surprised really to see him replaced for an actual striker. Southampton weren't up to much and a few players could have been replaced but Smallbone was the obvious choice to give them two actual strikers up front.

  2. #102
    Reserves
    Joined
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    523
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    68
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    111
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    Some positive comments about Smallbone from his manager: What 'very good footballer' Smallbone shows to keep Hasenhuttl's faith | Daily Echo

  3. Thanks From:


  4. #103
    Reserves
    Joined
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    590
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    88
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Not named in the Southampton squad today.

    Can people please stop saying positive things about Irish players or being positive in general because the second that any positivity hangs around an Irish player that player then gets injured. Someone ought to get Nathan Collins security as he’s probably next.

  5. Thanks From:


  6. #104
    Reserves
    Joined
    Sep 2021
    Posts
    960
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    235
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Linked with a move to Forest as a possible replacement for James Garner whose on loan from United.


  7. Thanks From:


  8. #105
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,795
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    824
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,496
    Thanked in
    1,027 Posts
    That move would be more than alright. Garner has developed well there. And it's the PL. If he goes into a deeper midfield role then he could be an option for us quite quickly because we all know how thin we are in there.

  9. Thanks From:


  10. #106
    Reserves
    Joined
    Sep 2021
    Posts
    960
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    235
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    That move would be more than alright. Garner has developed well there. And it's the PL. If he goes into a deeper midfield role then he could be an option for us quite quickly because we all know how thin we are in there.
    Hasenhuttl has always said Smallbone can play in any of the midfield roles, and that Smallbone himself was more comfortable as a 6 but Hasenhuttl preferred having him playing higher up the pitch.

    Don't think he's gonna be breaking into the Southampton starting XI anytime soon, and he turned 22 back in February. With the injury trouble he's had he's way behind where he should be and needs to start getting regular game time somewhere.

  11. #107
    First Team
    Joined
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    1,400
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    21
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    65
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    I will give him his debut vs Ukraine after the brace he scored. We are lacking a killing pass

  12. #108
    Reserves
    Joined
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    590
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    88
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    I will give him his debut vs Ukraine after the brace he scored. We are lacking a killing pass
    If Ireland beat Montenegro tonight and Italy beat Sweden I would seriously be tempted to pull more U21s into the senior side, it would make the final game a complete dead rubber.

  13. Thanks From:


  14. #109

  15. #110
    Reserves
    Joined
    Sep 2021
    Posts
    960
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    235
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    If Ireland beat Montenegro tonight and Italy beat Sweden I would seriously be tempted to pull more U21s into the senior side, it would make the final game a complete dead rubber.
    You'd hope it would happen at least with a couple of players. Come in and train with the seniors because there's no chance they'd get thrown in against Scotland or Ukraine. It would at least then give Tayo and Hodge game time if you were to pull Bagan, and either Kilkenny or Coventry or both even up to train with the seniors. There's plenty of cover in attacking positions if Smallbone was to move on.

    Feel Sweden and Italy will draw though which would still seal second place for us if we win tonight but would still mean the group could be won. Which would kill any chance, no matter how small it was in the first place of some players joining the senior squad.

  16. #111
    Coach tetsujin1979's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dublin, originally from Limerick
    Posts
    20,900
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,053
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,542
    Thanked in
    2,980 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    If Ireland beat Montenegro tonight and Italy beat Sweden I would seriously be tempted to pull more U21s into the senior side, it would make the final game a complete dead rubber.
    Maybe, but we could be in with a chance of the strongest second placed side - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_U...d-placed_teams - the draw with Luxembourg will actually work in our favour here, because most other sides will lose six points against the weakest team in their group, but we'll only lose four.
    The loss in Montenegro is going to be a bigger factor than that draw against Luxembourg, since most other second placed sides will have taken a minimum of four points against the second lowest ranked side on their group.

  17. #112
    Reserves
    Joined
    Sep 2021
    Posts
    960
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    235
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Maybe, but we could be in with a chance of the strongest second placed side - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_U...d-placed_teams - the draw with Luxembourg will actually work in our favour here, because most other sides will lose six points against the weakest team in their group, but we'll only lose four.
    The loss in Montenegro is going to be a bigger factor than that draw against Luxembourg, since most other second placed sides will have taken a minimum of four points against the second lowest ranked side on their group.
    It's likely gonna be Switzerland who'll end up on 19pts when you take their six away. A win tonight minus our 4pts would have us on 15pts and four behind with three to play for.

    Would need Wales to beat Holland as even a draw against Wales would have them on 18pts and they've got a much superior goal difference to settle any tie breaker.

  18. #113
    Reserves
    Joined
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    590
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    88
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    You'd hope it would happen at least with a couple of players. Come in and train with the seniors because there's no chance they'd get thrown in against Scotland or Ukraine. It would at least then give Tayo and Hodge game time if you were to pull Bagan, and either Kilkenny or Coventry or both even up to train with the seniors. There's plenty of cover in attacking positions if Smallbone was to move on.

    Feel Sweden and Italy will draw though which would still seal second place for us if we win tonight but would still mean the group could be won. Which would kill any chance, no matter how small it was in the first place of some players joining the senior squad.
    It would hopefully give the players that extra motivation to push on at club level and get a cap.

    Just from what I’ve seen of Sweden I just can’t see how they are going to win and tbh a lot of their chances will come down to what mode Italy are in, if they want to win and wrap up qualification Sweden are in trouble. Granted I’m rooting for a draw provided we get the win V Montenegro tonight!

  19. #114
    Reserves
    Joined
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    590
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    88
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    It's likely gonna be Switzerland who'll end up on 19pts when you take their six away. A win tonight minus our 4pts would have us on 15pts and four behind with three to play for.

    Would need Wales to beat Holland as even a draw against Wales would have them on 18pts and they've got a much superior goal difference to settle any tie breaker.
    I can’t see any scenario where we finish first in the 2nd place ranking.

    The one argument I could make is we could
    chase a top 5 spot of the 2nd places teams to try be seeded for the play off (granted we still don’t if there will be seedlings for it!)

  20. #115
    Reserves
    Joined
    Sep 2021
    Posts
    960
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    235
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    It would hopefully give the players that extra motivation to push on at club level and get a cap.

    Just from what I’ve seen of Sweden I just can’t see how they are going to win and tbh a lot of their chances will come down to what mode Italy are in, if they want to win and wrap up qualification Sweden are in trouble. Granted I’m rooting for a draw provided we get the win V Montenegro tonight!
    Sweden are at home and have already drawn away to Italy. They'll also be fighting for qualification so should be a good match.

  21. #116
    Reserves
    Joined
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    590
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    88
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Sweden are at home and have already drawn away to Italy. They'll also be fighting for qualification so should be a good match.
    They were extremely fortunate to get that draw, if they are to beat Italy they will need to show us something we haven’t seen form them so far this campaign.

  22. #117
    Reserves
    Joined
    Sep 2021
    Posts
    960
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    235
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Could be about to join Stoke who already have Gavin Kilkenny on loan.


  23. #118
    Reserves
    Joined
    Sep 2021
    Posts
    960
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    235
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Officially confirmed. Stoke games be interesting this season if himself and Kilkenny are playing regularly this season.


  24. Thanks From:


  25. #119
    First Team
    Joined
    May 2008
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    1,935
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    163
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    479
    Thanked in
    358 Posts
    Some glimpses of class today by all accounts, suspect defensively. Good to see hopefully he can push on. Disappointing not to see Kilkenny start in the first 2 games, I guess Morecambe in the cup will be his chance, but doesn’t appear to have earned the trust of MON yet

  26. Thanks From:


  27. #120
    Reserves
    Joined
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    523
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    68
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    111
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    Opened the scoring today for Stoke (Bonham in goal), who trounced Reading (Hendrick and a sub appearance by S Long).

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 83
    Last Post: 31/01/2023, 1:12 PM
  2. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 24/01/2023, 5:29 PM
  3. Will Ferry (M b.2000 Southampton, loaned to Crawley)
    By tetsujin1979 in forum Ireland
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06/03/2022, 5:43 PM
  4. Joshua Kayode F Rotterham (loan Carlisle) b.2000
    By samhaydenjr in forum Ireland
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09/02/2022, 1:54 AM
  5. RTE: Celtic sign Stoke full-back on season-long loan
    By Foot.ie in forum Football Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28/08/2019, 4:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •