Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 120

Thread: Will Smallbone M Stoke (loan from Southampton) b.2000

  1. #41
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,727
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6,488
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    656
    Thanked in
    460 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    I wouldn't agree. For me its simple your called up and if u decline we move on and say goodbye.

    In relation to the 2nd question. I'm not sure how much of a difference keane would have made over all, as our defence isnt too bad. But I would agree if we had grealish and rice then we would be already in the euros
    If a person was honest and could go back in time one would not say no to Keane, Rice or Grealish.

    Thems the breaks and in the end the players have to make the decision they are happy with. Playing full Internationals (all be it friendlies may be pushing it though ).

  2. #42
    First Team
    Joined
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,460
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    114
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    186
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Anyone any reason to think Smallbone could be a flight risk other than he was born in England? From my understanding his mother is Irish born and bred whilst Rice and Grealish had far more tenuous links through a grandparent or 2.

    If his mother is anything like me with my English born sons she will have fed him Guinness from his bottle, constantly blared the Wolf Tones around the house, forced him to eat Curly Kane for dinner twice a week and beat him for not standing with his hand on his chest when Amhran Na Bhfiann came on the telly. If she did all that then there's no chance he will jump ship.

    If she didn't do it then she's not really Irish herself.

  3. Thanks From:


  4. #43
    First Team
    Joined
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    2,159
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    21
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    551
    Thanked in
    416 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    If a person was honest and could go back in time one would not say no to Keane, Rice or Grealish.

    Thems the breaks and in the end the players have to make the decision they are happy with. Playing full Internationals (all be it friendlies may be pushing it though ).
    Its my only principle in the world! don't take it away from me.

  5. Thanks From:


  6. #44
    Capped Player
    Joined
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,066
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6,935
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,480
    Thanked in
    2,535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Anyone any reason to think Smallbone could be a flight risk other than he was born in England? From my understanding his mother is Irish born and bred whilst Rice and Grealish had far more tenuous links through a grandparent or 2.

    If his mother is anything like me with my English born sons she will have fed him Guinness from his bottle, constantly blared the Wolf Tones around the house, forced him to eat Curly Kane for dinner twice a week and beat him for not standing with his hand on his chest when Amhran Na Bhfiann came on the telly. If she did all that then there's no chance he will jump ship.

    If she didn't do it then she's not really Irish herself.
    I've threatened my son with knee capping, while buying him the new Irish jersey every time one comes out. Carrot & stick approach. It's working so far. I actually had to calm him down when Mandzukic scored against England in Russia, telling him it's tactically better (in relation to his English mother) to appear less partisan.

  7. Thanks From:


  8. #45
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    1,380
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    12
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    686
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post

    Quick sidenote - from the point of view of their international careers to now, it appears that Rice made the right call for himself, Grealish definitely made the wrong call with no caps so far, and Michael Keane probably made the wrong call as he has only ten caps at the age of 27, when he could have had 25-30 with us. What do people think would have happened if Grealish and Keane had stuck with us? Would we have done better at Euro 2016? Would we have qualified for the last World Cup? Would we already be in the draw for these Euros?
    I think with Grealish we would have qualified for World Cup 2018 and with him and Rice we would have qualified for Euro 2020. To be honest, Grealish is a player that would probably totally change the way we could play. You only had to look at Declan’s 3 caps to also see the difference he made to us.

    Michael Keane would have been a regular I imagine. He’s definitely ahead of Keogh and Long in the reckoning, both of whom have played some important games. Up until this season, he probably would have been ahead of John Egan as well. But I don’t think the difference between Keane and say Clark is anything like the difference between what Grealish would give you and Jeff Hendrick or between Declan and Hourihane or Browne

  9. Thanks From:


  10. #46
    First Team
    Joined
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    2,101
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    88
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    781
    Thanked in
    533 Posts
    Thought Smallbone played well again tonight for Southampton. Lovely crisp, accurate passer of the ball, always looking to move the ball forward wherever possible as well.

    Played right midfield tonight but for me, if and when Kenny does want an out and out 10 in the team, he looks like the best man for the job at the moment.

  11. #47
    Capped Player
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    15,164
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,709
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,759
    Thanked in
    1,885 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    If a person was honest and could go back in time one would not say no to Keane, Rice or Grealish.

    Thems the breaks and in the end the players have to make the decision they are happy with. Playing full Internationals (all be it friendlies may be pushing it though ).
    Kenny has stated emphatically he will only come calling once and if there's a hesitation or even a mild stutter he'll put down the phone.

    i think we can rest assured though with the allegiance of McClean's children.

  12. Thanks From:


  13. #48
    Seasoned Pro Razors left peg's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Just Another Emigrant
    Posts
    4,002
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    889
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    859
    Thanked in
    551 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Kenny has stated emphatically he will only come calling once and if there's a hesitation or even a mild stutter he'll put down the phone.
    Kenny has been pretty clear on that, he also said that he is 100% confident about anyone that was in his U21 set up. Not sure Smallbone can be put in that bracket but Id say a lot of questions were asked behind the scenes after Kenny took over to make sure we didnt have another Rice.

  14. #49
    First Team
    Joined
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Torquay, Australia
    Posts
    2,302
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    635
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    503
    Thanked in
    353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Kenny has stated emphatically he will only come calling once and if there's a hesitation or even a mild stutter he'll put down the phone.

    i think we can rest assured though with the allegiance of McClean's children.
    But wouldn't they be English born? Certainly a flight risk!

  15. Thanks From:


  16. #50
    Capped Player
    Joined
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,066
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6,935
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,480
    Thanked in
    2,535 Posts
    I don't know how Southampton only drew that game. They are a pretty slick footballing side when they're in the mood.

  17. #51
    Capped Player nigel-harps1954's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On a dodgy bus
    Posts
    12,436
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4,010
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,715
    Thanked in
    2,185 Posts
    Some of the nonsense here...

    We would have won the world cup if Paul Scholes and Wayne Rooney declared for us.

  18. #52
    Capped Player
    Joined
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,066
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6,935
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,480
    Thanked in
    2,535 Posts
    What in particular do you think is nonsense?

  19. #53
    Capped Player
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    15,164
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,709
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,759
    Thanked in
    1,885 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    But wouldn't they be English born? Certainly a flight risk!
    Seeing they are McClean's kids, the risk could be more them forced to seek asylum somewhere else.

  20. #54
    Capped Player nigel-harps1954's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On a dodgy bus
    Posts
    12,436
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4,010
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,715
    Thanked in
    2,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    What in particular do you think is nonsense?
    Repeated conversations about Declan Rice and Jack Grealish and 'what could have been'.

  21. #55
    First Team livehead1's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,423
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    34
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Repeated conversations about Declan Rice and Jack Grealish and 'what could have been'.
    I'd say dinner in Nigel-Harps house can be a nervous affair when you're in a bad mood.

  22. Thanks From:


  23. #56
    Capped Player
    Joined
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,066
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    6,935
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,480
    Thanked in
    2,535 Posts
    Yep, was going to asy something similar. It's only conversation Nigel! Recording mustn't have gone well today

  24. #57
    First Team
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,051
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    78
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    877
    Thanked in
    572 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Some of the nonsense here...

    We would have won the world cup if Paul Scholes and Wayne Rooney declared for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Repeated conversations about Declan Rice and Jack Grealish and 'what could have been'.
    Mea Culpa there Nigel - I was recently considering the decisions of Rice, Grealish and Keane from the angle of whether it had been a good move purely from the point of view of advancing their respective international careers - for Rice, fine, clearly it worked out on that level but for Grealish it hasn't to date and may never do, with some of the talent England have coming through, while Keane has had very limited opportunities. And then I started thinking what would happen if they realized at the time that playing for Ireland would be better for their international careers and decided to throw those thoughts on here (I know, there's no indication of Smallbone moving, but I thought it might be interesting for the likes of him and Coventry to bear this in mind if they ever have the FA show up on their doorsteps with promises of glory). You're right, though, we have plenty to look forward to and should move past Grealish, Rice and Keane...

    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    I think with Grealish we would have qualified for World Cup 2018 and with him and Rice we would have qualified for Euro 2020. To be honest, Grealish is a player that would probably totally change the way we could play. You only had to look at Declan’s 3 caps to also see the difference he made to us.

    Michael Keane would have been a regular I imagine. He’s definitely ahead of Keogh and Long in the reckoning, both of whom have played some important games. Up until this season, he probably would have been ahead of John Egan as well. But I don’t think the difference between Keane and say Clark is anything like the difference between what Grealish would give you and Jeff Hendrick or between Declan and Hourihane or Browne
    ... although FWIW, I think this is a very good analysis of that hypothetical situation - thanks ES

  25. Thanks From:


  26. #58
    First Team
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,051
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    78
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    877
    Thanked in
    572 Posts
    Credited with an assist for Southampton's first goal today, nicking the ball into Che Adams' path

  27. #59
    First Team
    Joined
    May 2008
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    1,935
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    163
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    479
    Thanked in
    358 Posts
    Yes, watched the second half, after watching our strikers perform. Looks much better in the centre, has been out right mostly. Still a bit lightweight for me, but such a delightful passer. If he works on his strength and defensive side, he could be a very good player. He’s got an excellent coach who believes in him. Now, just need to give him a cheap cap to secure him....

  28. #60
    Seasoned Pro irishfan86's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    2,542
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    541
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    318
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Smallbone in the starting lineup for Southampton on opening day. A really positive sign.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 83
    Last Post: 31/01/2023, 1:12 PM
  2. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 24/01/2023, 5:29 PM
  3. Will Ferry (M b.2000 Southampton, loaned to Crawley)
    By tetsujin1979 in forum Ireland
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06/03/2022, 5:43 PM
  4. Joshua Kayode F Rotterham (loan Carlisle) b.2000
    By samhaydenjr in forum Ireland
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09/02/2022, 1:54 AM
  5. RTE: Celtic sign Stoke full-back on season-long loan
    By Foot.ie in forum Football Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28/08/2019, 4:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •