Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Smallbone M Southampton b.2000

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    I wouldn't agree. For me its simple your called up and if u decline we move on and say goodbye.

In relation to the 2nd question. I'm not sure how much of a difference keane would have made over all, as our defence isnt too bad. But I would agree if we had grealish and rice then we would be already in the euros
    If a person was honest and could go back in time one would not say no to Keane, Rice or Grealish.

Thems the breaks and in the end the players have to make the decision they are happy with. Playing full Internationals (all be it friendlies may be pushing it though ).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Anyone any reason to think Smallbone could be a flight risk other than he was born in England? From my understanding his mother is Irish born and bred whilst Rice and Grealish had far more tenuous links through a grandparent or 2.

If his mother is anything like me with my English born sons she will have fed him Guinness from his bottle, constantly blared the Wolf Tones around the house, forced him to eat Curly Kane for dinner twice a week and beat him for not standing with his hand on his chest when Amhran Na Bhfiann came on the telly. If she did all that then there's no chance he will jump ship.

If she didn't do it then she's not really Irish herself.

3. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    If a person was honest and could go back in time one would not say no to Keane, Rice or Grealish.

Thems the breaks and in the end the players have to make the decision they are happy with. Playing full Internationals (all be it friendlies may be pushing it though ).
    Its my only principle in the world! don't take it away from me.

5. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Anyone any reason to think Smallbone could be a flight risk other than he was born in England? From my understanding his mother is Irish born and bred whilst Rice and Grealish had far more tenuous links through a grandparent or 2.

If his mother is anything like me with my English born sons she will have fed him Guinness from his bottle, constantly blared the Wolf Tones around the house, forced him to eat Curly Kane for dinner twice a week and beat him for not standing with his hand on his chest when Amhran Na Bhfiann came on the telly. If she did all that then there's no chance he will jump ship.

If she didn't do it then she's not really Irish herself.
    I've threatened my son with knee capping, while buying him the new Irish jersey every time one comes out. Carrot & stick approach. It's working so far. I actually had to calm him down when Mandzukic scored against England in Russia, telling him it's tactically better (in relation to his English mother) to appear less partisan.

7. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post

Quick sidenote - from the point of view of their international careers to now, it appears that Rice made the right call for himself, Grealish definitely made the wrong call with no caps so far, and Michael Keane probably made the wrong call as he has only ten caps at the age of 27, when he could have had 25-30 with us. What do people think would have happened if Grealish and Keane had stuck with us? Would we have done better at Euro 2016? Would we have qualified for the last World Cup? Would we already be in the draw for these Euros?
    I think with Grealish we would have qualified for World Cup 2018 and with him and Rice we would have qualified for Euro 2020. To be honest, Grealish is a player that would probably totally change the way we could play. You only had to look at Declan’s 3 caps to also see the difference he made to us.

Michael Keane would have been a regular I imagine. He’s definitely ahead of Keogh and Long in the reckoning, both of whom have played some important games. Up until this season, he probably would have been ahead of John Egan as well. But I don’t think the difference between Keane and say Clark is anything like the difference between what Grealish would give you and Jeff Hendrick or between Declan and Hourihane or Browne

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Thought Smallbone played well again tonight for Southampton. Lovely crisp, accurate passer of the ball, always looking to move the ball forward wherever possible as well.

Played right midfield tonight but for me, if and when Kenny does want an out and out 10 in the team, he looks like the best man for the job at the moment.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post

Kenny has stated emphatically he will only come calling once and if there's a hesitation or even a mild stutter he'll put down the phone.

i think we can rest assured though with the allegiance of McClean's children.

12. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Kenny has stated emphatically he will only come calling once and if there's a hesitation or even a mild stutter he'll put down the phone.
    Kenny has been pretty clear on that, he also said that he is 100% confident about anyone that was in his U21 set up. Not sure Smallbone can be put in that bracket but Id say a lot of questions were asked behind the scenes after Kenny took over to make sure we didnt have another Rice.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post

i think we can rest assured though with the allegiance of McClean's children.
    But wouldn't they be English born? Certainly a flight risk!

15. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I don't know how Southampton only drew that game. They are a pretty slick footballing side when they're in the mood.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Some of the nonsense here...

We would have won the world cup if Paul Scholes and Wayne Rooney declared for us.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    What in particular do you think is nonsense?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    But wouldn't they be English born? Certainly a flight risk!
    Seeing they are McClean's kids, the risk could be more them forced to seek asylum somewhere else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    What in particular do you think is nonsense?
    Repeated conversations about Declan Rice and Jack Grealish and 'what could have been'.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Repeated conversations about Declan Rice and Jack Grealish and 'what could have been'.
    I'd say dinner in Nigel-Harps house can be a nervous affair when you're in a bad mood.

22. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Yep, was going to asy something similar. It's only conversation Nigel! Recording mustn't have gone well today

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Some of the nonsense here...

We would have won the world cup if Paul Scholes and Wayne Rooney declared for us.
    Mea Culpa there Nigel - I was recently considering the decisions of Rice, Grealish and Keane from the angle of whether it had been a good move purely from the point of view of advancing their respective international careers - for Rice, fine, clearly it worked out on that level but for Grealish it hasn't to date and may never do, with some of the talent England have coming through, while Keane has had very limited opportunities. And then I started thinking what would happen if they realized at the time that playing for Ireland would be better for their international careers and decided to throw those thoughts on here (I know, there's no indication of Smallbone moving, but I thought it might be interesting for the likes of him and Coventry to bear this in mind if they ever have the FA show up on their doorsteps with promises of glory). You're right, though, we have plenty to look forward to and should move past Grealish, Rice and Keane...

Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    I think with Grealish we would have qualified for World Cup 2018 and with him and Rice we would have qualified for Euro 2020. To be honest, Grealish is a player that would probably totally change the way we could play. You only had to look at Declan’s 3 caps to also see the difference he made to us.

Michael Keane would have been a regular I imagine. He’s definitely ahead of Keogh and Long in the reckoning, both of whom have played some important games. Up until this season, he probably would have been ahead of John Egan as well. But I don’t think the difference between Keane and say Clark is anything like the difference between what Grealish would give you and Jeff Hendrick or between Declan and Hourihane or Browne
    ... although FWIW, I think this is a very good analysis of that hypothetical situation - thanks ES

25. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Credited with an assist for Southampton's first goal today, nicking the ball into Che Adams' path

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Yes, watched the second half, after watching our strikers perform. Looks much better in the centre, has been out right mostly. Still a bit lightweight for me, but such a delightful passer. If he works on his strength and defensive side, he could be a very good player. He’s got an excellent coach who believes in him. Now, just need to give him a cheap cap to secure him....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Smallbone in the starting lineup for Southampton on opening day. A really positive sign.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast