Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 9 2 8
    Hello hello we are the Billy boys
    Hello hello we are the Billy boys
    Up to our necks in fenian blood
    Surrender or you’ll die….

Come on Shels
    I think that says it all. Even if it is a minority of Linfield fans that are bigots its still a siseable minority. And if someone from the south was to be up for Linfield instead of shels, its like a Jewish person supporting Lazio.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo
    The first part makes sense......if you were talking about the CC 'fans' posting in this thread;Bitter or what?
    As for the rest of the debate,if I may be 'allowed' to post on the EL,IMO the few Shels.fans on here sound pretty reasonable hence I'm inclined to sympathise,which is a little embarassing. Though you should always support the underdog.
    You can post anywhere you like, no need for the sarcasm. I was just making the point that you jumped in on that issue, having never commented on domestic football previously. As for the bitterness comment. I've never liked Shels, going back a good few years, before they were our main rivals for silverware, so I'm not gonna start supporting them now just cos of who the opposition are

Quote Originally Posted by D2 Red
    Well youse keep saying Shels are pulling 2000 a week for the last at least 5/6 years and yet we own our own stadium,are getting a brand new one,have a bar,the complete team is full time and it's not exactly cheap jetting around Europe for away games.

Coach rentels are hardly through the roof these days and it still doesn't add up.
    Am I right in thinking that Tolka was given to Shels, ye didn't even need to buy it? CCFC nearly went bankrupt just about 10 years ago, so we had to start from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Real Rover
    I think that says it all. Even if it is a minority of Linfield fans that are bigots its still a siseable minority. And if someone from the south was to be up for Linfield instead of shels, its like a Jewish person supporting Lazio.
    Biggest over-reaction of all time! People can support who they like.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Éanna
    CCFC nearly went bankrupt just about 10 years ago, so we had to start from scratch.
    It still does not add up

Secondly i don't like Cork and am starting to like them even less recently but EL team vs any other league team,i will always support the EL team no matter who or what

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    It still does not add up

Secondly i don't like Cork and am starting to like them even less recently but EL team vs any other league team,i will always support the EL team no matter who or what
    That used to be my motto. It still applies, apart from the bit at the end EL team vs any other league team, i will always support the EL team unless it's shels

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    That used to be my motto. It still applies, apart from the bit at the end EL team vs any other league team, i will always support the EL team unless it's shels
    And that is what makes you and your principals a f*cking joke.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Why? Is it suddenly a crime to dislike another team? What "principles" are you talking about anyway?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rebel Army my arse. Despite detesting $hels I could never support Linfield over them. I genuinely do not believe the hardened minority of Linfield fans have gone away and their bigotry is obvious time and time again.

Also Slash/ed Linfield are from a different country?
    "The Derry fans were fantastic in both matches. They sang their hearts out all the time and created an even better atmosphere than the Cup Final. They were brilliant. - David Graham, Gretna striker

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    Anyone know any Linfield tunes?

One Billy Fenlon, there's only one Billy Fenlon....I'd expect that to get an airing on Saturday.

Wee Pat is still a legend up here since he played for us in the mid nineties. A few years ago past and present heros where parded on the pitch and Pat got a louder cheer than some of the seven trophy squad.

If he ever gets sick of Shels i'd have him as manager of Linfield in a heartbeat.
    Hatchets and Hammers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Who gets the money from the gate in the final .... do Linfield get half .... surely they are entitled to this aren't they ?? Either that or play it at a neutral ground, seems fair ..... how about Dalyer ??
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face
    Who gets the money from the gate in the final .... do Linfield get half .... surely they are entitled to this aren't they ?? Either that or play it at a neutral ground, seems fair ..... how about Dalyer ??
    Shels get it in double, the second half being paid directly from Cork City FCs bank account.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Speranza
    Also Slash/ed Linfield are from a different country?
    Good point

I wont argue with you, what's it got to do with me?

Incidentally there's nothing wrong with opposition fans cheering against us, that's rivalry. I'd support any EL team in our situation though, basically because I don't feel so inferior
    Last edited by Slash/ED; 18/05/2005 at 12:28 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I mean, you haven't posted a single thing about domestic football, and you chose this moment to wade in and abuse people. I hate Shels, I don't hate Linfield. Hence I want Linfield to beat Shels. Simple really
    I hate Linfield, I don't hate Shelbourne. Hence I want Shelbourne to beat the Blues. Simple really

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    There seems to be a strong theme running through this thread, that you Oirish people want Shelbourne to win because they are from the same country as you.

Well, let me tell you now - I hope on Saturday that the Shels give our cross-city rivals an absolute thrashing. Im not sure if this is the case down South (tho it is football like), but local rivalries are what keeps the game alive, and there isn't one as passionate as that between Linfield and Glentoran anywhere else in Ireland - It has a history, Id dare say many of you know it, and it is the biggest rivalry in the whole of Ireland and has been for years. It's a good thing of course, and its also what supporting a football team boils down to at the end of the day.

With rivalry, you usually hate a few of the players, almost always the manager (Fat David Jeffrey), and you don't want them to win things as they will constantly gloat about it for a year.

I am aware that you think others should want Shelbourne to win based on the same principal as in European competition, as in it will boost the overall status of the Eircom League, but here's the thing - If someone said to me if Linfield can manage to get to the Quarter Finals of the Champions League and as a result of this the Irish League winners will automatically qualify for the group stage, Id still probably want Linfield to get hammered in the first preliminary round. Any one else think like me?

So D2 Red, shut the feck up about someone's principals being a fecking joke you numpty, and acknowledge that tribal local rivalry has been the lifeblood of football for years.

thecorner
    C'mon Linfield

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Tough one.......

Shels disenfranchised me and many other's over European games a few years ago, nothing to do with being bitter. A great crowd one year and Ollie was on how it was great that all the shels fans had come out and basically claimed there were no eL fans bolstering the attendance - the next year Shels (understandably) get a shít crowd and suddenly it's all the neutrals fault for not showing up

Can we have a don't care option?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveyg2004
    There seems to be a strong theme running through this thread, that you Oirish people want Shelbourne to win because they are from the same country as you.

Well, let me tell you now - I hope on Saturday that the Shels give our cross-city rivals an absolute thrashing. Im not sure if this is the case down South (tho it is football like), but local rivalries are what keeps the game alive, and there isn't one as passionate as that between Linfield and Glentoran anywhere else in Ireland - It has a history, Id dare say many of you know it, and it is the biggest rivalry in the whole of Ireland and has been for years. It's a good thing of course, and its also what supporting a football team boils down to at the end of the day.

With rivalry, you usually hate a few of the players, almost always the manager (Fat David Jeffrey), and you don't want them to win things as they will constantly gloat about it for a year.

I am aware that you think others should want Shelbourne to win based on the same principal as in European competition, as in it will boost the overall status of the Eircom League, but here's the thing - If someone said to me if Linfield can manage to get to the Quarter Finals of the Champions League and as a result of this the Irish League winners will automatically qualify for the group stage, Id still probably want Linfield to get hammered in the first preliminary round. Any one else think like me?

So D2 Red, shut the feck up about someone's principals being a fecking joke you numpty, and acknowledge that tribal local rivalry has been the lifeblood of football for years.

got it in one;which is why I'll be a temporary Linfield fan on Saturday

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Personally I don't care about getting a pat on the back from the board of Bohs, Rovers, Pats or Cork when I go to see them in Europe. I go to as many European games as I can when League of Ireland teams are playing. I support them whether they beat us 10-0 the week before or in Cork's case do nothing but call us cheats. Its important for us all that we do well in Europe. If Cork got through to the finals over us , I would support them.

Its funny listening to Cork fans coming on complaining about the amount of travel it is required by Cork fans around Ireland compared to Dublin, and then you wonder why Dublin is the Capital... Most of the Corkies, bar a handful of them, really are running down their credibility of argument seeing as everytime they lose, it is nothing to do with them. You are complaining as much as you claim Shels complain!!!

If you want quotes to back up my claims I can post them very easily...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I was hoping Glentoran had won last night. I'll never forget getting a thumping as a 15-year-old kid from a bunch of drunken Linfiend supporters in the 80s. I know these are different times but I'll be shouting for Shels on Saturday. I know Linfield and Glens is a fierce rivalry but Bohs and Rovers can be pretty severe too.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Éanna, your pathetic, just as you were getting over the embarressment you caused yourself with regards to the "goal," in Tolka, you go and spout on about how much you hate Shelbourne.

We have been successful lately, we have money, maybe if you won something once in a while you wouldn't be so bitter.

Also for somebody who hates Shels, you spend a lot of time on our message board!

Come on Shels!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra Red
    Also for somebody who hates Shels, you spend a lot of time on our message board!
    Know your enemy.....

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast