Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: New Wexford LOI Club?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts

New Wexford LOI Club?

Remarkable story has been broken tonight by Wexford journalist, Padraig Byrne (see Twitter link below) to be published in the local Wexford People newspaper tomorrow that plans are afoot to launch a new, or more likely competitor, LOI club as against Wexford FC/Wexford Youths Women. God knows, it's hard enough to keep one club going in Wexford. The only sense I can make of it is that the Wexford League owns half of Ferrycarrig Park and it has previously been reported in the same newspaper that the local league is in negotiations with the FAI to purchase the remaining half of the ground that it doesn't own. The FAI could obviously do with the money. Is it possible that the Wexford League has intentions to run its own LOI team out of Ferrycarrig Park?

https://twitter.com/byrne_padraig

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    In some ways it would make a lot of sense for the Wexford league to take over the club, it might help to give it a boost and some buy in. Ferrycarrig would be a great training facility if they could develop a ground closer to the town for the first team games (North End's grounds were in a good spot and could facilitate a couple of nice small stands if I recall?). A long time since I've been down there though. The leagues seem to be a lot more interested across the country with the advent of the schoolboy national leagues, it'd make sense to try and develop those elite player groups right the way through, as it is there's competition between the clubs, Kennedy cup, Wexford FC and the various league representative sides.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    I'm ignorant of the wider context here: what's the relationship like between the Wexford League and Wexford FC?

No way the FAI should/would give two licenses to a town the size of Wexford, so this must be seen as a play for the one license.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    I'm ignorant of the wider context here: what's the relationship like between the Wexford League and Wexford FC?

No way the FAI should/would give two licenses to a town the size of Wexford, so this must be seen as a play for the one license.
    From reading on it in the past I dont think its great between them. Explains the lack of interest towards loi football in Wexford. Wonder whos the big famous Wexford soccer players being brought on board. I imagine that it has to be Kevin Doyle?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Mick Wallace and Kevin Doyle would be regarded as having close links so I think that would be unlikely ... but you never know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ForzaForth View Post
    Mick Wallace and Kevin Doyle would be regarded as having close links so I think that would be unlikely ... but you never know.
    in other words Forza they wouldnt be investing as they are already with Wexford FC?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    The word about the town (Wexford) is that there is Wexford Football League involvement in the proposed alternative bid for the LOI licence. There would be precedence for such a move already on the women's side in Kilkenny where the WNL licence was peremptorily removed from Kilkenny Utd before the start of this season and awarded instead to the Carlow-Kilkenny League. While we're only a small club at the lower end of the First Division at senior men's level, the outcome of the licensing issue in Wexford, if it comes to a battle, may well indicate that the power base within the FAI has moved even more in favour of the junior leagues and away from the existing LOI structure.

(Marty - you're correct. I'd see Mick and to a lesser extent Kevin as being firmly on the side of the existing licence holders.)

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    The word about the town (Wexford) is that there is Wexford Football League involvement in the proposed alternative bid for the LOI licence. There would be precedence for such a move already on the women's side in Kilkenny where the WNL licence was peremptorily removed from Kilkenny Utd before the start of this season and awarded instead to the Carlow-Kilkenny League. While we're only a small club at the lower end of the First Division at senior men's level, the outcome of the licensing issue in Wexford, if it comes to a battle, may well indicate that the power base within the FAI has moved even more in favour of the junior leagues and away from the existing LOI structure.

(Marty - you're correct. I'd see Mick and to a lesser extent Kevin as being firmly on the side of the existing licence holders.)
    Yeah cheers for the clarification Forza its intriguing this battle. did the wexford league and wexford FC ever get on at all?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    You have me there, Marty. I really don't have an inkling about that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    You have me there, Marty. I really don't have an inkling about that.
    No bother elaine. It probably existed before 07 when Wexford joined loi?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    The Wexford People journalist who broke the original story now confirms that there will be a second bid for the Wexford LOI licence. The new team, if it receives the go-ahead, will be called "Yola FC," Yola being an ancient dialect of South Wexford.

https://twitter.com/byrne_padraig?re...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    I will always first see that as YOLO FC
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Yola FC are planning to release further details in relation to their LOI bid tomorrow (Wednesday). The report in today's local paper mentions no names other than a rumour which is in circulation in regard to a prominent Wexford junior club manager.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Yola FC are planning to release further details in relation to their LOI bid tomorrow (Wednesday). The report in today's local paper mentions no names other than a rumour which is in circulation in regard to a prominent Wexford junior club manager.
    Any idea Forza where are they based in Co Wexford ?When I first saw this here on general forum I thought it was a windup!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Marty, If they do get the LOI licence in place of Wexford FC, it's almost certain that they'd use Ferrycarrig as their base. Yola FC doesn't exist as yet, and the big questions at the moment are (i) whether there is any organisational or football management expertise involved in the application, and (ii) what sort of financial backing is behind it. Nobody has linked their name in public to the application so it's all guesswork at this stage.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Marty, If they do get the LOI licence in place of Wexford FC, it's almost certain that they'd use Ferrycarrig as their base. Yola FC doesn't exist as yet, and the big questions at the moment are (i) whether there is any organisational or football management expertise involved in the application, and (ii) what sort of financial backing is behind it. Nobody has linked their name in public to the application so it's all guesswork at this stage.
    If thats the case considering its a different club completely Elaine would you still go out to the matches there?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Marty, If someone can come up with a demonstrably better proposal, I probably would.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Marty, If someone can come up with a demonstrably better proposal, I probably would.
    Yeah have to agree with you. For starters change the team name for starters!