Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: City 0 Portadown 1.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

City 0 Portadown 1.

Well where do we go from there????? Walked away after the game knowing now that we are along way off from the finished product.To be honest we are boys against men compared to shelbourne.Must trim the squad and get a seasoned expierenced centre back and midfielder in.We are to small and weak and don't have the financial resourses to strengten the team.WE can't break down teams at home.l still stand by the club but worried for our future.

thecorner
    Quote Originally Posted by aIr BaNd!
    Well where do we go from there????? .
    get rid of rico...he's out of the game too long and hasnt got a clue

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Stupid talk, Corner. Reactionary rubbish. Time to go stand outside with the poor deluded fools calling for sackings - all of them langres in the Horshoes at half time - and without a clue as to what they want to sack. Watching too much MUTV and reading too many cheap papers. If the goal had been allowed, the rest of the ridiculous game would have panned out differently. Portadown were rubbish, but defended well with everyone behind the halfway line. A hopeless task, best forgotten. Its happened before and it will happen again at the Cross, when teams don't have to / want to play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thecorner
    get rid of rico...he's out of the game too long and hasnt got a clue
    a lateral displacement with a xenomorphic appointment to facilitate the interdepartmental choreography?
    Your Chairperson,
    Gavin
    Membership Advisory Board
    "Ex Bardus , Vicis"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinZac
    a lateral displacement with a xenomorphic appointment to facilitate the interdepartmental choreography?
    I thought that myself alright !!
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    I think we can safely put this down to being one of those nights. We played well enough and created quite a few chances, the fact that their keeper was MOTM says a lot.
    The ref was a disgrace, just because he sends one of the opposition off does not mean he did us any favours, in fact the opposite was the case.
    Hamilton was unlucky to be sent off and the way the game was going I didn't even think he'd get a booking, the red was harsh. Great Finish.
    Portadown are a very physical team and the ref let them walk all over him and us. George was kicked from pillar to post throughout and not one yellow was produced, then one foul by a City player and hey presto. The ref needed to stamp his authority early and didn't, once the Ports knew they could get away with cynical fouling they decided to drive on with it. As for Rhona from Roscommon and Forrest Gump on the other side enough said. McNulty fouled a player who was heading away from goal yet he still got a red card from Feighery.
    Behan no longer deserves to remain in the team, he offers us nothing. Colin T is not as good a player as Gamble, this will also have to be rectified. Word of praise for Dan Murray, he has come on leaps and bounds in the last few games and I honestly think its Benno who is now the weak link in our defence.
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

http://worddok.blogspot.com

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Terribly, terribly disappointing.We have the football skill and talent, we simply do not possess the mental strength.

I cannot remember when a team created so many chances, dominated a game so much, and yet the f*cking ball just would not go in.
    Their keeper had the game of his life. I suppose you can't blame them for the way they played, but a team holding out the way they did is a rare occurrence.
    The officials weren't that bad, but Feighery should have clamped down far earlier on the tackles. George, Liam and Doyler were hacked out of it.
    I didn't really see what Hamilton did to get sent off, probably a bit harsh?

Colin wasn't that bad, no one played really badly I thought, but Gamble was no huge improvement when he came on....

At times we look like the best side in the country, other times we seem to be lacking something badly.
    All the calls for Rico and Lennox to go are ridiculous, do people stop and think at all?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patsh
    Terribly, terribly disappointing.We have the football skill and talent, we simply do not possess the mental strength.
    Agreed but we could have hit high, hopeful balls into the box against a team with Portadown's size and strength all week and not scored. Is there a tactical naivety or is the tendency to play high balls a sign of panic caused by a lack of mental strength?
    don't worry, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dis......

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    one of those nights indeed. nail on the head patsh- mental strengh is the problem

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thumbs down

Calling for the manager & board to resign is pathetic & childish. Its the kind of thing a 12 year old comes up as can't remember past last week

Was deinitely one of those games. IF Doylers goal was allowed (no idea if offside myself) who knows what would have happened. I thinkt he sending off suited Ports as gave them the cause to defend in depth.

I was disappointed we didn't hit some long balls in behind their defense when they had pushed forward towards in th halfway line. Instead we were too slow movbing out of defense so they had just pulled 6 defenders across the penalty area.

We failed to up the tempo from the start of the game.

I haven't seen some crazy time wasting & 10 men behind the ball ever at the cross. Even UCD at their worst will at least leave their own half of the pitch. Arkins booting free kick into row Z when city had Billy Woods in goal was possibly the most pathetic act at th cross ever - could understand if win mattered to Ports but given the scenario involved was just sad. I think Portadown let down their league last night.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    Calling for the manager & board to resign is pathetic & childish. Its the kind of thing a 12 year old comes up as can't remember past last week

Was deinitely one of those games. IF Doylers goal was allowed (no idea if offside myself) who knows what would have happened. I thinkt he sending off suited Ports as gave them the cause to defend in depth.

I was disappointed we didn't hit some long balls in behind their defense when they had pushed forward towards in th halfway line. Instead we were too slow movbing out of defense so they had just pulled 6 defenders across the penalty area.

We failed to up the tempo from the start of the game.

I haven't seen some crazy time wasting & 10 men behind the ball ever at the cross. Even UCD at their worst will at least leave their own half of the pitch. Arkins booting free kick into row Z when city had Billy Woods in goal was possibly the most pathetic act at th cross ever - could understand if win mattered to Ports but given the scenario involved was just sad. I think Portadown let down their league last night.
    Ahhh a sane place for discussion without the reactionary screaming from the high heavens -

Re-the tempo .Think it was also a case that Portadown going down or belting the ball out of the cross hurt any tempo we looked like building
    All that was going thru my mind during the game last nite was Gary mac .Dunno if you care but a few years ago when a youngish Liverpool team needed a push ,houllier signed gary mcallister - by all accounts over the hill but had a bit up top which other younger players didn't have
    thats precisly what city needed last nite and ironically ,the one person on the park last nite that seemed to have that was arkins
    The attacking players really showed a lack of composure again on front of goal and again thats hurt us

Have seen numerous replays of Doylers goal also and am struggling to see the reaon for it being dissallowed .Some horrible decisions have gone against us recently

Have to say tho ,the reaction by some of the more vocal (but not nessessarily learned ) supporters has hurt me more than the game has.
    The lunatic is on the grass
    The lunatic is on the grass
    Remembering games and daisy chains and laughs
    Got to keep the loonies on the path

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Unhappy Sad

Quote Originally Posted by redgav
    Have to say tho ,the reaction by some of the more vocal (but not nessessarily learned ) supporters has hurt me more than the game has.
    I was impressed by the home support though. Was only 15-20 corner boys chanting for Dolan near the end & no one in the shed joined in which given the game we were watching was a good sign.

Murphys save from Dan Murrays header was unbelieveable. I'd be very interested in seeing the game stats - We must have had 10 corners & shots on target in the 2nd half?

Some of the "tackles" in the 1st half by Ports were disgraceful. How the phuck no booking for hacking Colin down as he lined up shot at the edge of the box is beyond me. Regular eL fans may be accused as being biased but always interesting when occasional attendee baffled by erfs "decisions". Minor example was Arkins backing into Murray & getting free in On occasions he actually prevented city from taking quick free kicks from the correct position.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    George was kicked from pillar to post throughout and not one yellow was produced
    This is pure madness what I am reading.
    Some are saying that the ref was useless because he didn't book anyone for the tackles??? He not only booked someone he actually sent him OFF ... RED Card!! that's worse then a yellow, understand?

There are also people saying that the sending off made it harder for you? but at the same time you think the ref let them away with too much?

What exactly are you annoyed about now? You are having a go at the ref for sending a Portadown player off

By the way it may have been at the start of the competition but not all decisions went against cork. Collins should have walked in the first game in Tolka for at least one of the two bad fouls he made. I would think that if that had of happened Shels would not have had to settle for a draw at home. Wasnt that also the game were a Crowe goal was ruled out for no reason [ was in the middle of an edit while below post was being made ]

you should really read back some of the posts you are making and see the contradictions in your arguments You don't seem to know who to blame today!!
    Last edited by higgins; 17/05/2005 at 1:10 PM.
    John Delaney!! GET OUT!!!
    www.ssdg.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Don't forget Crowe's disallowed goal in Tolka that cost Shels 2 points. But remember, bad things only happen to Cork.
    God

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by higgins
    Some are saying that the ref was useless because he didn't book anyone for the tackles??? He not only booked someone he actually sent him OFF ... RED Card!! that's worse then a yellow, understand?!!
    Us Cork City fans will differ on opinion and some opinions may contradict others but that happens.
    In fairness the red card really showed the refs ineptitude.
    Because of lacking the balls to dish out 1 or 2 yellows early doors and mark his authority on the game, he let it go and made Hamilton the scapegoat for what was probably his 1st foul. The main culprits (Collins etc) were then left free to go about their business of petty cynical fouls and break up the flow of the game. understand ??
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Some are saying that the ref was useless because he didn't book anyone for the tackles??? He not only booked someone he actually sent him OFF ... RED Card!! that's worse then a yellow, understand?
    So you're saying that the ref was cr@p too! Welcome to our side

I dont think anyone thought it was a red card, I certainly didnt. However there should have been a few yellows beforehand, def one by 15 min. There was persistant bad tackles made by Ports, about 1 every 2 min in the first 20 min by my reconing (and yes, I was actually timing them!). One or 2 yellows at the start would have laid down the law. Instead after 10 bad Port hacks, he books one of our players for an inocous trip

At the end of the day, the Ports keeper had one of those nights when he could have playing against Ronaldo, Ruud and Henry and he'd still have kept a clean sheet! But that still doesnt hide the fact that the ref was cr@p, not unbiased, just cr@p

All credit to Ports, they got an early goal and closed down the shop. A bit Italian, but they got their 3 points so good luck to them.
    As I say, we're just young & a bit nieve.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Yes Razor I understand collins got away with some fouls.

But what is your complaint?

You moan that he didnt book anyone. I take it you felt cork were hard done by when he didnt book someone? Yet you dont fully agree with the red he showed either? I have no doubts that if Gary got away with a yelloe that you would all be on here saying they should have been down to 10men and you were cheated out of it or some other such nonsense.

Maybe he could have booked someone for persistant fouling but there was not many tackles where it was a certain yellow.

Are you saying he was good or bad for cork!! ??
    I dont think you know who to blame really and are just angry your not in the final.
    Last edited by higgins; 17/05/2005 at 3:11 PM.
    John Delaney!! GET OUT!!!
    www.ssdg.ie

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thumbs down

Our biggest problem in the team is a lack of mental strenght and maturity. We really are missing an experienced Midfielder and Defender. City are a young team that need a seasoned head around them on the pitch for nights like last night. Someone to guide them. Last night we just panicked, everything too rushed,no composure but in fairness thats what you would expect from a team so young. Our time will come no doubt about it but maybe not just yet. We are having an awful run of luck at the moment with refereeing decisions but these will even themselves out over the course of a season.

Our biggest problem off the field is not our manager but some of our supporters. Some of them and only a tiny minority are constantly on the manageers and players backs. Slagging them off in public at the matches etc,etc. Some of them are nearly as bad as the whingers and moaners at Bohs. Give it a rest!!
    I am sick of it and it is leaving a nasty taste in everyones mouths when you are at a city match having to listen to this match in match out.

I really do think we are in a good position in the league with the top 2 to play yet. Somehow though I think the bad atmosphere at the ground will start to infect the players their confidence the managers confidence etc. This manager deserves at least one year in the job before people start calling for his head. Wait til the end of the season.

While I'm at it another thing that really is irritating is the constant invasions of other teams message boards that city fans regularly engage in. The week before the Waterford game there was the usual rubbish about how we were going to slaughter the sheepshaggers etc. Don't people realise players read these boards too. Thats it lads wind up the opposition players! Why bother? Why do we give a **** about what other teams are up to?
    There are a few city posters and everyone will know who I am talking about
    who are constantly on the boards -
    One tells everyone we are the greatest and best supported team in the league quoting statistics and away support etc, etc
    So what we should be we have the greatest pop catchement in the league

One attacks the other teams as being thugs and bullies and cheats and accuses people of engaging in match fixing and then has to retract it all and try to be all friendly and concilatory with them.
    Grow up will and realise football is a mans game and no one in the league has the finances to fix games!

Just needed to get that off my chest. Fed up with all.
    Last edited by rebs23; 17/05/2005 at 3:25 PM.
    Cork City FC

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I just dont know with you mr H

Are you saying he was good or bad for cork!! ??
    He was saying that the ref was $hit and that the red card showed that

I dont think you know who to blame really and are just angry your not in the final.
    He said it "was just one of those nights", thats not blaming anyone! And obviously we are disapointed and a bit angry, because we feel like we could have gone further in the competition and to make it worse we have people who dont/cant read posts here and just go about winding people up and/or spouting $hit.
    As I say, we're just young & a bit nieve.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Yes Razor I understand collins got away with some fouls.

But what is your complaint?
    OK here goes. The Ref was sh*t. Bad for Cork.
    Booking certain players Collins included early on would have set a precedent and would have had these guys unable to commit more fouls for fear of a red.
    By handing out the one red he was saying thats your lot now lads carry on fouling and they did. I don't like anyone being sent off unncessarily and to be honest didn't even think he'd book him. This forced Ports back into defensive mode and it is sometimes more difficult to play aginst 10 than 11.
    I'm disappointed in the manner in which we didn't make the final but from a personal perspective it suits me better not to have to trek to the Pale on Saturday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast