Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Liam Brady

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts

Liam Brady

Is it possible he could get it?? Would he be up to the job. He has been out of the dressing room for a long time, and wasn't very succesful when he was there.

I see him as more suited to the international performance director role. Perhaps bringing obvious skills from the work he does at Arsenal at underage level, and applying them in the kind of role Trevor Brooking has with England.

But i wondered what everyone else thinks of him as manager?? I would prefer him to O'Leary, but i would prefer Bertie Ahern doing the job to O'Leary.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Brady has achieved little or nothing at a Senior Managerial level.

We need somone with experience and a track record of at least some success of note.

Every appointment is a gamble to some degree or another but Brady hasn't got the track record. Respect and talking a good game are not enough.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    He should get the U21 job instead of Givens and be given a youth development role also with the FAI.
    In Trap we trust

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    He should get the U21 job instead of Givens and be given a youth development role also with the FAI.
    I think Brady should definitely be given some kind of position in the set up other than manager (if he wants it of course). He's clearly very good at working with youngsters. He would be far better suited to the U21 job than Don Givens. But would he be willing to take on that extra workload on top of his Arsenal job? And if he was given a job in the senior set up that may well mean he would have to give up the RTE job. I'm not sure he's do that for a minor position for us. I'd love it if he did though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'd be shocked if he got it although as mentioned, I'd like to see him involved with the U21's or the youth set up in some capacity. Fitting everything would be an obvious problem for him.
    Top Breeders recommend drinkfeckarse....

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If Don Givens were to leave the U21 set-up then it would be a travesty if anybody was offered the job ahead of Pete Mahon.
    Business as usual

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    i have always wanted brady to be the man for the job as he seems to know a lot about the game and would understand the irish set-up better than most. also, arsenal seem to rate him very highly. however, just dont feel he would be able to motivate a team too well among other short comings

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He said himself last night that they should be looking for someone who has experience at top level or international management which rules him out.

so he basically ruled himself out of contention. i think he would like it but can't see him getting it.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thebolg View Post
    He said himself last night that they should be looking for someone who has experience at top level or international management which rules him out.

so he basically ruled himself out of contention. i think he would like it but can't see him getting it.
    Ya I think thats a fair analysis, he does talk a good game in my opinion but whether he could turn that into good management Im not so sure. Im a bit surprised he's not turned off the job after seeing what has happened to Stan in the last 2 years or so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thebolg View Post

If he really wants the job then why not get back to managing at a senior level and try to build up a decent level of experience for the next time we we need a new manager.
    This is not the best signature in the world, this is just a tribute

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think Brady would be a great asset to us if he was in a high position in the FAI

There isn't anyone in that clown association that holds any sort of recognition in football circles. If it was up to me he'd be my first choice for CEO but.......................
    San Marino are going to be a handful as the group goes on." - Steve Staunton reacts to performance against San Marino.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zenokelly View Post
    I think Brady would be a great asset to us if he was in a high position in the FAI

There isn't anyone in that clown association that holds any sort of recognition in football circles. If it was up to me he'd be my first choice for CEO but.......................
    I think that there is a place for Brady in the FAI, probably not as CEO though, it is essentially an administrative position as opposed to a football position. If we had a CEO that was comfortable enough to delegate specific footballing matters to a Director of Football type post then maybe it would be a role for Brady.
    This is not the best signature in the world, this is just a tribute

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Brady would be a shocking appointment by the FAI. He proved a disaster for both Celtic and Brighton in his 2 previous outings as a manager.

I'd much rather O'Leary.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Brady would be a shocking appointment by the FAI. He proved a disaster for both Celtic and Brighton in his 2 previous outings as a manager.

I'd much rather O'Leary.
    Yes but they should try to give him a place in the setup if he wants it.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Can't see Brady getting it, he even said himself that they should go for someone with a proven track record and that ruled him out but if that wasn't a concern for the FAI then he was available, which isn't exactly selling yourself

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I'd much rather O'Leary.
    You have to be oblivious to the circumstances at Brighton to refer to his time there as a "disaster". Club was being asset stripped, Brady resigned due to what could be euphemistically called 'differences' with the asset-stripping chairman, then attempted to buy the club. After he left, the replacement manager (Jimmy Case) got even poorer results out of the decimated squad Brady had had to work with, and the club ended up staying in the league on goal difference - and even then only after Case was shipped out too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlooooomp View Post
    If he really wants the job then why not get back to managing at a senior level and try to build up a decent level of experience for the next time we we need a new manager.
    ... or at least put out a few water bottles and cones for Walsall

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KianD View Post
    You have to be oblivious to the circumstances at Brighton to refer to his time there as a "disaster". Club was being asset stripped, Brady resigned due to what could be euphemistically called 'differences' with the asset-stripping chairman, then attempted to buy the club. After he left, the replacement manager (Jimmy Case) got even poorer results out of the decimated squad Brady had had to work with, and the club ended up staying in the league on goal difference - and even then only after Case was shipped out too.
    Well in Kian mate. I'm a Brighton fan and can categorically state that Brady was not a 'disaster'. He had an impossible job at the Goldstone, made a decent fist of it, more so in the earlier part of his time. Can't blame Youngirish too much for saying so though; its a common misconception, unfortunately.

However i really hope Brady doesn't get the Ireland job. He's a hero of mine (mainly for his hard work in getting a regime change at Brighton after he resigned). We (Brighton) played some brilliant attacking stuff when he came on board, but the same old defensive frailties remained. In my opinion he's nowhere near qualified/experienced enough for what we (Ireland) need at the moment.

And Elroy, i used to think he talked a good game aswell, but at half-time v Cyprus he reckoned that O'Shea should have been starting at centre-mid. I lost a little faith after that!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tipp Townie View Post
    Well in Kian mate. I'm a Brighton fan and can categorically state that Brady was not a 'disaster'. He had an impossible job at the Goldstone, made a decent fist of it, more so in the earlier part of his time. Can't blame Youngirish too much for saying so though; its a common misconception, unfortunately.

I've lived in Hove for 4 years and many of my friends are Brighton supporters and they all categorically agree that he was a terrible manager so to state I'm misinformed of the financial problems at the club during his tenure is way off the mark (I live across the road from where the Goldstone Ground used to be and frequently visit the shopping estate that has replaced it). To state that Brady made a decent fist of anything at Brighton is delusional in the extreme. They went from a mid table Division 2 team to a bottom of the table Division 3 team during his time in charge.

Any Brighton and Hove fans I know are amazed that he's being considered for the Ireland job. His record in management is abyssmal.
    Last edited by youngirish; 29/10/2007 at 4:07 PM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    I've lived in Hove for 4 years and many of my friends are Brighton supporters and they all categorically agree that he was a terrible manager so to state I'm misinformed of the financial problems at the club during his tenure is way off the mark (I live across the road from where the Goldstone Ground used to be and frequently visit the shopping estate that has replaced it). To state that Brady made a decent fist of anything at Brighton is delusional in the extreme. They went from a mid table Division 2 team to a bottom of the table Division 3 team durign his time in charge.

Any Brighton and Hove fans I know are amazed that he's being considered for the Ireland job. His record in management is abyssmal.
    I appreciate that you are familar with Brighton then, but not familar enough to know that when Brady resigned it was Autumn 1995 and we were actually still in Division 2. Jimmy Case had been manager for 7 months by the time we got relegated to Division 3, and was sacked approx 5 months later with us bottom of Div 3.

And when Brady took over, we weren't a mid-table side either. We'd had a terrible start to the season and were in the relegation scramble. Brady sorted us out and got us clear

Alot of fellow fans believe that he could have done a great job given the right circumstances. But we'll never know if Brady would have made a good Brighton manager as his efforts were scuppered by the politics of the time. In the time he was with us he wasnt amazing, but he wasnt awful either.
    Last edited by Tipp Townie; 30/10/2007 at 11:44 AM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast