Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 228

Thread: Shamrock Rovers entering a team in Div 1 next season

  1. #81
    Seasoned Pro Ezeikial's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,896
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    151
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,044
    Thanked in
    638 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Look, I might have been wrong about Dundalk. Fair play if they're considering paying another 25 players from Dublin.
    More rules than I realised!

    Having another 25 professionals on the books would be tough enough, but this Dublin-born restriction is a step too far!

  2. #82
    Seasoned Pro Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,786
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    910
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    741
    Thanked in
    493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Look, I might have been wrong about Dundalk. Fair play if they're considering paying another 25 players from Dublin.
    Actually the national spread of where Dundalk players are from is less Dublincentric than at any time before. I'd imagine a 'B' team would be made up of young lads from all over the North East, Cavan/Monaghan, South Down/Armagh and players from Dublin possibly via the Malahide link up. In an ideal world a quota of senior team players should be able to move between the 2 sides without 'transfer' issues almost like a proper reserve team. It would help develop players and rehab injured lads - not likely or even possible but should be a consideration for a future League admin that wants the league as strong as possible. At face value other 1st Division clubs may see it as unfair but if they are playing against strong sides then they will improve also in a bigger picture way.

  3. #83
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    17,933
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,720
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5,063
    Thanked in
    3,199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Actually the national spread of where Dundalk players are from is less Dublincentric than at any time before. I'd imagine a 'B' team would be made up of young lads from all over the North East, Cavan/Monaghan, South Down/Armagh and players from Dublin possibly via the Malahide link up. In an ideal world a quota of senior team players should be able to move between the 2 sides without 'transfer' issues almost like a proper reserve team. It would help develop players and rehab injured lads - not likely or even possible but should be a consideration for a future League admin that wants the league as strong as possible. At face value other 1st Division clubs may see it as unfair but if they are playing against strong sides then they will improve also in a bigger picture way.
    I was only joshing, and you're right of course. But I'd imagine it's a bugbear of Dundalk fans that there aren't more locals in the team. I don't mean that as a criticism of Dundalk - I know it's a footbal-mad town.

  4. #84
    Seasoned Pro Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,786
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    910
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    741
    Thanked in
    493 Posts
    The whole local player thing was an excuse previously used not to go to games. Not such an issue when the club is successful. If there were local players good enough they'd be at the club. A lot of schoolboy clubs around Dundalk were very resistant to improving coaching as that would have involved breaking up some cliques. Dedicated and well intended people involved over the years but some self importance too that has undoubtedly held back development of local talent unless there was an exceptional talent that shone through regardless. Some clubs are better than others of course. There are also schoolboy clubs that have senior teams in the MDL for example and I think this has taken their focus off youth development in favour of running a senior team at whatever level.

    What is different now is the number of players that live locally which seems to be a 'compromise' for those who whinged about players not being local.

  5. #85
    Seasoned Pro Ezeikial's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,896
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    151
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,044
    Thanked in
    638 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    The whole local player thing was an excuse previously used not to go to games. Not such an issue when the club is successful. If there were local players good enough they'd be at the club. A lot of schoolboy clubs around Dundalk were very resistant to improving coaching as that would have involved breaking up some cliques. Dedicated and well intended people involved over the years but some self importance too that has undoubtedly held back development of local talent unless there was an exceptional talent that shone through regardless. Some clubs are better than others of course. There are also schoolboy clubs that have senior teams in the MDL for example and I think this has taken their focus off youth development in favour of running a senior team at whatever level.

    What is different now is the number of players that live locally which seems to be a 'compromise' for those who whinged about players not being local.
    Prior to the national league under-age development, the route for promising under-age players was to join one of the DDSL clubs like St Kevin's, or Belvedere where they would be playing at a higher level than in the local leagues. Presumably the new national league system means that exceptional talent find theses higher levels of coaching and competition at their League of Ireland club rather than in the DDSL

    While there have been some exceptional players from Dundalk - like Tommy McConville, Barry Kehoe and Dessie Gorman - it's been a long time since any local player has emerged to be a first team regular in a successful Dundalk team. Maybe that will change with the new structures!

  6. #86
    Seasoned Pro Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,786
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    910
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    741
    Thanked in
    493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Prior to the national league under-age development, the route for promising under-age players was to join one of the DDSL clubs like St Kevin's, or Belvedere where they would be playing at a higher level than in the local leagues. Presumably the new national league system means that exceptional talent find theses higher levels of coaching and competition at their League of Ireland club rather than in the DDSL

    While there have been some exceptional players from Dundalk - like Tommy McConville, Barry Kehoe and Dessie Gorman - it's been a long time since any local player has emerged to be a first team regular in a successful Dundalk team. Maybe that will change with the new structures!
    Thats very true, but flawed as a system as while player that showed promise (big lads for their age group basically) at a very young age moved to DDSL there were plenty of players that developed a bit later, often in to better players, but were 'past it' for a move to DDSL believe it or not. These players, if lucky, got their chance at a break with DSL at the Milk Cup. The new system will go a long way to correcting this old fashioned thinking. If Messi had been Irish he'd probably have never made the cut with coahes here, and would probably have not kicked a ball before a decision was made.

  7. #87
    First Team
    Joined
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,695
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    27
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    288
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    The whole local player thing was an excuse previously used not to go to games. Not such an issue when the club is successful. If there were local players good enough they'd be at the club. A lot of schoolboy clubs around Dundalk were very resistant to improving coaching as that would have involved breaking up some cliques. Dedicated and well intended people involved over the years but some self importance too that has undoubtedly held back development of local talent unless there was an exceptional talent that shone through regardless. Some clubs are better than others of course. There are also schoolboy clubs that have senior teams in the MDL for example and I think this has taken their focus off youth development in favour of running a senior team at whatever level.

    What is different now is the number of players that live locally which seems to be a 'compromise' for those who whinged about players not being local.
    Yep, I remember those excuses being trotted out as reasons for locals not to support Dundalk, on the basis of not enough Dundalk natives on the playing staff. Then a Bank Rovers side full of Dundalk players got spanked in the cup in front of one man and his dog, and that was the end of that argument.
    While Dundlak is a solid soccer town, it doesn`t have the numbers as it is completely surrounded by GAA territory in North Louth, ( Dreadnoughts, love the name), South Armagh, (Crossmaglen Rangers ) and GAA strongholds in C`Blayney and Carrick mc C. Compared to Sligo , which is similarly surrounded, they have a long tradition of many different nationalities playing for the Bit o`Red without any particular whinging from fans looking for excuses not to go to games.

  8. #88
    Capped Player nigel-harps1954's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On a dodgy bus
    Posts
    10,833
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,378
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,120
    Thanked in
    1,817 Posts
    If Dundalk were to go down this route, it would probably make more sense for them to put some sort of 'feeder club' structure in place with Monaghan and go with them as their B team.

  9. #89
    Seasoned Pro Ezeikial's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,896
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    151
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,044
    Thanked in
    638 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    If Dundalk were to go down this route, it would probably make more sense for them to put some sort of 'feeder club' structure in place with Monaghan and go with them as their B team.
    That would rule out one of the key benefits of using the B team to give game time to first team squad players or those returning from injury

  10. #90
    Capped Player nigel-harps1954's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On a dodgy bus
    Posts
    10,833
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,378
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,120
    Thanked in
    1,817 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    That would rule out one of the key benefits of using the B team to give game time to first team squad players or those returning from injury
    That would be ruled out anyway. you couldn't dual register players to play in both Premier and First Divisions. Rovers B team a couple of years ago didn't get that benefit and had to name two separate squads, why would it be any different this time?

  11. #91
    Seasoned Pro Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,786
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    910
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    741
    Thanked in
    493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Yep, I remember those excuses being trotted out as reasons for locals not to support Dundalk, on the basis of not enough Dundalk natives on the playing staff. Then a man and his dog, and thatBank Rovers side full of Dundalk players got spanked in the cup in front of one was the end of that argument.
    While Dundlak is a solid soccer town, it doesn`t have the numbers as it is completely surrounded by GAA territory in North Louth, ( Dreadnoughts, love the name), South Armagh, (Crossmaglen Rangers ) and GAA strongholds in C`Blayney and Carrick mc C. Compared to Sligo , which is similarly surrounded, they have a long tradition of many different nationalities playing for the Bit o`Red without any particular whinging from fans looking for excuses not to go to games.
    I wish that had been it but the 2002 cup winning side had about 5 locals in the team and some still ranted on about not plaaying locals...the current excuse is ' I didnt go to Oriel when things were bad and I dont wnat to be a glory hunter fan now' as they are decked out in Man City or Leicester gear never mind Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal.

  12. #92
    Reserves
    Joined
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    306
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    42
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    That would be ruled out anyway. you couldn't dual register players to play in both Premier and First Divisions. Rovers B team a couple of years ago didn't get that benefit and had to name two separate squads, why would it be any different this time?
    I think last time we could name up to three first team players in the B team match day squad.

  13. #93
    Seasoned Pro Ezeikial's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,896
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    151
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,044
    Thanked in
    638 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    That would be ruled out anyway. you couldn't dual register players to play in both Premier and First Divisions. Rovers B team a couple of years ago didn't get that benefit and had to name two separate squads, why would it be any different this time?
    Irish Indo from Dec 2013:
    • From their Premier Division squad, Shamrock Rovers will be permitted to play a maximum of three outfield players and a goalkeeper in First Division fixtures.
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/fai...-29855859.html

  14. #94
    Capped Player nigel-harps1954's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On a dodgy bus
    Posts
    10,833
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,378
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,120
    Thanked in
    1,817 Posts
    I stand corrected. I don't remember Rovers using first team players.

  15. #95
    International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Killashee Longford
    Posts
    8,108
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4,132
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    542
    Thanked in
    457 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    I stand corrected. I don't remember Rovers using first team players.
    I actually remember in our promotion season against shamrock rovers B they had a small no of first teamers playing for them.Top of my head cant specifically point out a name but I do remember reading about it before.
    Daire Doyles red and black army

  16. #96
    Reserves
    Joined
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    306
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    42
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    I stand corrected. I don't remember Rovers using first team players.
    They were rarely used in the B team, it was usually only if they were coming back from an injury. I remmeber karl sheppard playing a game or two.

  17. #97
    First Team Nah Nah Nah Nah's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,107
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    403
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    516
    Thanked in
    294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Yep, I remember those excuses being trotted out as reasons for locals not to support Dundalk, on the basis of not enough Dundalk natives on the playing staff. Then a Bank Rovers side full of Dundalk players got spanked in the cup in front of one man and his dog, and that was the end of that argument.
    While Dundlak is a solid soccer town, it doesn`t have the numbers as it is completely surrounded by GAA territory in North Louth, ( Dreadnoughts, love the name), South Armagh, (Crossmaglen Rangers ) and GAA strongholds in C`Blayney and Carrick mc C. Compared to Sligo , which is similarly surrounded, they have a long tradition of many different nationalities playing for the Bit o`Red without any particular whinging from fans looking for excuses not to go to games.
    We tried playing a team of local players at one stage and ended up bottom of the first division with no one going to games

  18. #98
    Reserves
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    585
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    210
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    157
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Shamrock Rovers 'B' used first team players in 4 of their 28 first division matches that season. Shelbourne (H) 1-1, Galway (H) 1-1, Waterford United (H) 0-1, Galway (H) 0-3

    8 first team players used and their appearances/goals were Robert Bayly (2/0), Rob Cornwall (2/0), Craig Hyland (3), Dean Kelly (1/0), Ciarán Kilduff (1/0), David O'Connor (2/0), Seán O'Connor (1/1), Karl Sheppard (2/0)

    It's very clear why this is one reason First Division clubs are against Rovers fielding a B team in the exact same manner, as it puts teams at a competitive disadvantage if an opponent can field top Premier Division full-time players in random cameo appearances
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

  19. Thanks From:


  20. #99
    International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Killashee Longford
    Posts
    8,108
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4,132
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    542
    Thanked in
    457 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    We tried playing a team of local players at one stage and ended up bottom of the first division with no one going to games
    was that in the 88-89 season when we were ahead of ye? We werent no great shapes either that period as was in same boat too.
    Daire Doyles red and black army

  21. #100
    First Team seand's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2003
    Location
    D'Shed
    Posts
    1,456
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    420
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    447
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    Shamrock Rovers 'B' used first team players in 4 of their 28 first division matches that season. Shelbourne (H) 1-1, Galway (H) 1-1, Waterford United (H) 0-1, Galway (H) 0-3

    8 first team players used and their appearances/goals were Robert Bayly (2/0), Rob Cornwall (2/0), Craig Hyland (3), Dean Kelly (1/0), Ciarán Kilduff (1/0), David O'Connor (2/0), Seán O'Connor (1/1), Karl Sheppard (2/0)

    It's very clear why this is one reason First Division clubs are against Rovers fielding a B team in the exact same manner, as it puts teams at a competitive disadvantage if an opponent can field top Premier Division full-time players in random cameo appearances
    Quality anorak work there TH, thanks :-)
    Kinda surprised to see they used the option so infrequently. I guess the first team squad of 18-20 (?) were generally kept together for training and matches with practically every first team player involved in the first team matchday squad

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19/09/2019, 4:40 PM
  2. Pats: Team news: Shamrock rovers vs st pat's (mon, 8pm)
    By Foot.ie in forum Football Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28/04/2019, 4:20 PM
  3. ET: 2019 Season Preview: Shamrock Rovers
    By Foot.ie in forum Football Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14/02/2019, 10:20 PM
  4. Team of Shamrock Rovers Irish internationals
    By OwlsFan in forum Ireland
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 06/01/2007, 10:57 AM
  5. Where Are They Now? Shamrock Rovers Double Team 1986
    By el punter in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 15/03/2006, 9:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •