Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 296

Thread: Shamrock Rovers entering a team in Div 1 next season

  1. #221
    Seasoned Pro NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Gouldavoher
    Posts
    4,207
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    228
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    596
    Thanked in
    410 Posts
    That Sham's were preparing to pull the B team out of the First Division at some point in the next week and a half.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

  2. Thanks From:


  3. #222
    Capped Player nigel-harps1954's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On a dodgy bus
    Posts
    10,887
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,395
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,149
    Thanked in
    1,830 Posts
    Because Lee Bolger told Lewis Shaw.

    And so it was written.

  4. #223
    Reserves Olander's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Galway
    Posts
    744
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    48
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    180
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Because Lee Bolger told Lewis Shaw.

    And so it was written.
    I don't get the weird fascination with this lad in LOI circles, like he's some sort of celebrity. He runs a LOI facebook page, so what?

    I was told he is a Shamrock Rovers fan, but he does the media for Drogheda United??? That's an extremely odd situation. Then you see him posting nonsense like that and proceeding to name the source. Didn't he say a striker was signing for Shamrock Rovers recently and then posted a picture of his brother instead?
    Last edited by Olander; 17/01/2020 at 4:33 PM.
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

  5. #224
    Seasoned Pro Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,839
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    917
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    747
    Thanked in
    498 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olander View Post
    I don't get the weird fascination with this lad in LOI circles, like he's some sort of celebrity. He runs a LOI facebook page, so what?

    I was told he is a Shamrock Rovers fan, but he does the media for Drogheda United??? That's an extremely odd situation. Then you see him posting nonsense like that and proceeding to name the source. Didn't he say a striker was signing for Shamrock Rovers recently and then posted a picture of his brother instead?
    Is it? Certainly one of the main media contributors at Dundalk is a (former) Monaghan United fan and a Dundalk fan was media officer at Limerick for a few years. I'd have though it was common enough for people to park club allegiences and work for another club. Everyone would want to be at their own club!

  6. Thanks From:


  7. #225
    Reserves Olander's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Galway
    Posts
    744
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    48
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    180
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Is it? Certainly one of the main media contributors at Dundalk is a (former) Monaghan United fan and a Dundalk fan was media officer at Limerick for a few years. I'd have though it was common enough for people to park club allegiences and work for another club. Everyone would want to be at their own club!
    If it's a voluntary role, then yes it is weird. If you were being paid to do it professionally, then I think that's probably something a bit different and I think that applies to some of the examples you made.
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

  8. Thanks From:


  9. #226
    Capped Player nigel-harps1954's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On a dodgy bus
    Posts
    10,887
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,395
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,149
    Thanked in
    1,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olander View Post
    I don't get the weird fascination with this lad in LOI circles, like he's some sort of celebrity. He runs a LOI facebook page, so what?

    I was told he is a Shamrock Rovers fan, but he does the media for Drogheda United??? That's an extremely odd situation. Then you see him posting nonsense like that and proceeding to name the source. Didn't he say a striker was signing for Shamrock Rovers recently and then posted a picture of his brother instead?
    There's a weird fascination with him alright. He's a young fella that copies and pastes news into his group page and people reckon he should be in a role within the league for it..hardly groundbreaking stuff.

    Although, in fairness to him, he's a good lad. He's only 17 or 18, and has done well out of that group.

  10. Thanks From:


  11. #227
    Reserves
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    977
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    347
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    288
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olander View Post
    If it's a voluntary role, then yes it is weird. If you were being paid to do it professionally, then I think that's probably something a bit different and I think that applies to some of the examples you made.
    He's an 18 year old trying to get some experience on his CV in an industry he's obviously passionate about.

    If only more young people had the same drive and enthusiasm tbh.

    I'm sure he'd have jumped at a similar role had Rovers been willing to offer one. Drogs saw a chance to get someone with a record of action to help them out for free. And Lewis gets some experience on his CV whilst still being at school. A win-win for all involved - and not at all weird.

  12. Thanks From:


  13. #228
    Seasoned Pro Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,839
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    917
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    747
    Thanked in
    498 Posts
    The more the merrier! There are a few young lads doing their own league analysis vlogs and its great to see the interest they have in the league. Some of them are pretty good too, different times but I couldnt have seen myself at 14 or so getting stuck in to analysis especially of the wider league. Dan McDonnell certainly carved out a great career with cutting his teeth with Orielweb among others.

  14. Thanks From:


  15. #229
    Seasoned Pro Ezeikial's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,924
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    151
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,045
    Thanked in
    639 Posts
    Shamrock Rovers considering request to only field Under-21s and younger in 'B' team


    It’s just one potential solution to the First Division crisis on the table ahead of the new season
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...-only-21437934

    Changing the arrangement where Rovers first team players can move freely between the divisions and play in both teams is an obvious solution to the impasse.

  16. #230
    International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Longford, Ireland
    Posts
    5,037
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,691
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    872
    Thanked in
    746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...-only-21437934

    Changing the arrangement where Rovers first team players can move freely between the divisions and play in both teams is an obvious solution to the impasse.
    It's not really the FD clubs who care about rovers getting an advantage that's more of a PD club issue. FD clubs are clear they see the involvement of a reserve team as an insult to the league and while I'd much rather 10 teams than 9 I fully agree with them and they shouldn't back down on this, the entire process has been wrong.

  17. Thanks From:


  18. #231
    Reserves
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    749
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    7
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    98
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    It's not really the FD clubs who care about rovers getting an advantage that's more of a PD club issue. FD clubs are clear they see the involvement of a reserve team as an insult to the league and while I'd much rather 10 teams than 9 I fully agree with them and they shouldn't back down on this, the entire process has been wrong.
    Its not just an issue to PD clubs, its a clear unfair sporting advantage which cannot be allowed happen.

  19. #232
    Youth Team Bunny Kelly's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    226
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    22
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    I think you should have your squad until transfer window & can then rotate players in & out. One week you have the 3 best players in the division in the team, next week it is just kids, that doesn't seem fair.

    If they were allowed to move between squads should Rovers II have to announce their squad the day before? I'm guessing oppo game planning would be quite different if the knew some top players were dropping down

  20. #233
    Seasoned Pro Ezeikial's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,924
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    151
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,045
    Thanked in
    639 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    It's not really the FD clubs who care about rovers getting an advantage that's more of a PD club issue. FD clubs are clear they see the involvement of a reserve team as an insult to the league and while I'd much rather 10 teams than 9 I fully agree with them and they shouldn't back down on this, the entire process has been wrong.
    Iím far from convinced about this insult hokum.

    If the integrity issues surrounding the free movement of players between the squads can be resolved, the main issue is resolved.

  21. #234
    Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2004
    Location
    In the gutter, but looking at the stars
    Posts
    11,070
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,579
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,102
    Thanked in
    1,421 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    I’m far from convinced about this insult hokum.

    If the integrity issues surrounding the free movement of players between the squads can be resolved, the main issue is resolved.
    So you reckon the first division clubs are wrong about the impact of a reserve team returning to their division?

  22. #235
    First Team
    Joined
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,207
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    8
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    120
    Thanked in
    88 Posts
    As ever with LOI football, the tail wags the dog.

    If the issue with non 1st team players is put forward as a solution, then that's what should be accepted. It is a fair play move that should suit all
    As for the 1st division trying desperately to be taken seriously, give me a break. It's the right place for those clubs who don't have their $hit together, for one reason or another. Rovers, dundalk & Shels have all been there in the not too distant past and managed to escape it's clutches. If you don't like your club being there, get off your hole, get people into your club, into your ground and generate some income for them to try and help them GTF out of the division.. until then clubs like Rovers will refuse to bypass an opportunity like this to help the FAI out of a mess the FAI created ( with pi$$poor licensing restrictions) whilst also getting some playing time for their up and coming players. job done.

  23. Thanks From:


  24. #236
    Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2004
    Location
    In the gutter, but looking at the stars
    Posts
    11,070
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,579
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,102
    Thanked in
    1,421 Posts
    I'd argue that in LOI football, whoever the top clubs happen to be at a given time tend to do the wagging.. and this is no exception.

    I'd also argue that a healthy second tier should be a priority for the league.. your thinking appears to be that anyone who finds themselves there basically deserves anything they get and they don't get to have a say.

  25. #237
    Capped Player nigel-harps1954's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On a dodgy bus
    Posts
    10,887
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,395
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,149
    Thanked in
    1,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    As ever with LOI football, the tail wags the dog.

    If the issue with non 1st team players is put forward as a solution, then that's what should be accepted. It is a fair play move that should suit all
    As for the 1st division trying desperately to be taken seriously, give me a break. It's the right place for those clubs who don't have their $hit together, for one reason or another. Rovers, dundalk & Shels have all been there in the not too distant past and managed to escape it's clutches. If you don't like your club being there, get off your hole, get people into your club, into your ground and generate some income for them to try and help them GTF out of the division.. until then clubs like Rovers will refuse to bypass an opportunity like this to help the FAI out of a mess the FAI created ( with pi$$poor licensing restrictions) whilst also getting some playing time for their up and coming players. job done.
    That's an incredibly horrible take on the First Division.

  26. Thanks From:


  27. #238
    Reserves ArFella's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Dundalk
    Posts
    283
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    196
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    94
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    As ever with LOI football, the tail wags the dog.

    If the issue with non 1st team players is put forward as a solution, then that's what should be accepted. It is a fair play move that should suit all
    As for the 1st division trying desperately to be taken seriously, give me a break. It's the right place for those clubs who don't have their $hit together, for one reason or another. Rovers, dundalk & Shels have all been there in the not too distant past and managed to escape it's clutches. If you don't like your club being there, get off your hole, get people into your club, into your ground and generate some income for them to try and help them GTF out of the division.. until then clubs like Rovers will refuse to bypass an opportunity like this to help the FAI out of a mess the FAI created ( with pi$$poor licensing restrictions) whilst also getting some playing time for their up and coming players. job done.
    Wow I know Rovers fans can be cocky at times but this is incredible... Serious bang of Fine Gael off this, just replace 'first division clubs' with 'homeless people' and you'd have an election manifesto Eoghan Murphy would be proud of.
    Mon the Town!

  28. Thanks From:


  29. #239
    Youth Team Bunny Kelly's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    226
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    22
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    In fairness the first div has a mix of progressive clubs & glorified junior clubs that would be better suited in a third tier.

    I actually have no problem with Athlone, Wexford, (Cobh/Cabo, depending on a given season) keeping a national presence but they would be better suited for an amateur third tier (which I think you might have more interest in from other clubs looking to step up).

    There shouldn't be any problem with Rovers II as long as no players dropping down. Giving young Dublin players an opportunity & bringing no away support, is it any different to what Kilkenny, Wexford, Athlone, Kildare did/do?

  30. Thanks From:


  31. #240
    First Team ToberonaTornado's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2016
    Location
    Faughart,Dundalk.
    Posts
    1,164
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    73
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    209
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Amazing clap trap crap.
    Some troll.your best work by a mile,and that takes some doing!

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19/09/2019, 4:40 PM
  2. Pats: Team news: Shamrock rovers vs st pat's (mon, 8pm)
    By Foot.ie in forum Football Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28/04/2019, 4:20 PM
  3. ET: 2019 Season Preview: Shamrock Rovers
    By Foot.ie in forum Football Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14/02/2019, 10:20 PM
  4. Team of Shamrock Rovers Irish internationals
    By OwlsFan in forum Ireland
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 06/01/2007, 10:57 AM
  5. Where Are They Now? Shamrock Rovers Double Team 1986
    By el punter in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 15/03/2006, 9:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •