Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Slovakia v Republic of Ireland - 8th October 2020 - Euro 2020 Playoff Semi Final

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts

Slovakia v Republic of Ireland - 8th October 2020 - Euro 2020 Playoff Semi Final

So it's Slovakia. They're currently struggling against Azerbaijan and are certainly no world beaters.

On the other side of the draw Bosnia have been poor as well and Germany are currently giving NI the hosing that's been coming their way for a while.

Qualification definitely looks a bit more doable with Wales now out of the picture, although we could do with us/Slovakia getting the home draw for the playoff final.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

2. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    maybe we're not going to Bratislava after all.

Im reading elsewhere that an Emergency Panel in UEFA can change the order of Paths, and Ireland may yet be moved up to Path A, and with good reason.

The competition rules state that only the four group winners in each section, cannot be moved to a higher group, which in Path B, is Bosnia.

All of the other 3 left, can technically be moved.

Now, it might seem obvious with only 4 teams left in Path B, that these 4 should make up the semis.

However, as on one team is left in Path A, and one of the top 4 in Path C, Finland has also qualified, it looks like Path A will be made up of

Iceland, Isreal, Hungary, Romania (assuming Bulgaria take Finlands place)

This means that the 6th ran Path C team will get a home semi final draw, while Ireland who ranked 7 places higher than them must play away.

I think Ireland have a case to demand being pushed up to Path A and taking the next available home semi final, as the only three teams ranked above them, will already have semis.

Path A should then be completed by the two lowest ranking team eligible to play off, Hungary and Romania, to give Iceland the best chance as a Path A team.

By my accounting, Path A should be

Iceland v Romania
    Ireland v Hungary

Path B

Bosnia v Isreal
    Slovakia v N Ireland

Path C

Scotland v Isreal
    Serbia v Bulgaria

This is the fairest outcome

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Wow I never heard of anything so complicated in my life.

It is insane.

5. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    If we are getting Slovakia is it defo on the 26th???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insidetherock View Post

Im reading elsewhere that an Emergency Panel in UEFA can change the order of Paths, and Ireland may yet be moved up to Path A, and with good reason.

The competition rules state that only the four group winners in each section, cannot be moved to a higher group, which in Path B, is Bosnia.

Now, it might seem obvious with only 4 teams left in Path B, that these 4 should make up the semis.

However, as on one team is left in Path A, and one of the top 4 in Path C, Finland has also qualified, it looks like Path A will be made up of

This means that the 6th ran Path C team will get a home semi final draw, while Ireland who ranked 7 places higher than them must play away.

I think Ireland have a case to demand being pushed up to Path A and taking the next available home semi final, as the only three teams ranked above them, will already have semis.

Path A should then be completed by the two lowest ranking team eligible to play off, Hungary and Romania, to give Iceland the best chance as a Path A team.

Iceland v Romania
    Ireland v Hungary

Path B

Bosnia v Isreal
    Slovakia v N Ireland

Path C

Scotland v Isreal
    Serbia v Bulgaria

This is a bigger mood-killer than VAR.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts

Iceland v Romania
    Ireland v Hungary

Path B

Bosnia v Isreal
    Slovakia v N Ireland

Path C

Scotland v Isreal
    Serbia v Bulgaria

I'd fancy our chances against Hungary or Iceland

But are Romania any good these days?

Also. Can it go to penalties? Is it worth naming Dave O'Leary on the bench just in case?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quick look at Slovakia: Dubravka of Newcastle is their 'keeper, good backline with a couple of Serie A players, one in the Bundesliga, one in La Liga, similar in midfield actually plus Hamsik, formerly of Napoli, but their frontline looks light. Rest of the squad plays mostly for middling teams around Europe. It looks doable, particularly if McCarthy, Brady and Long are back as viable options and two from Connolly, Parrott and Obafemi are playing regularly (and scoring). But everyone will have to be near their best, individually, and they'll have to click collectively also. At least now McGoldrick, Robinson, Maguire and Collins have all broken their international ducks.
    Last edited by samhaydenjr; 20/11/2019 at 2:18 AM.

10. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts

Where are you reading?

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    I hear the draws will be determined by quantum entanglement.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Goals scored in each game throughout the NL and qualifying campaign will be converted to the Kelvin scale and totals will be used to assign seeding for the tournament. A bold move.

15. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Goals scored in each game throughout the NL and qualifying campaign will be converted to the Kelvin scale and totals will be used to assign seeding for the tournament. A bold move.
    You fell for the insidetherock scenario, now you're a gullible ex pat trying to extricate yourself from the deranged by resorting to add in gobbeldygook into the mix. You and insidetherock are as one.

17. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    I hear the draws will be determined by quantum entanglement.
    My Cat ; Schrodinger looks a little confused about that !
    Last edited by seanfhear; 20/11/2019 at 4:25 AM.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    What the hell is going on? I did pass maths in my Leaving Cert. This is just cruel

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    I don’t know where that came from. But according to their rules Ireland won’t be moved.

b. If four or more teams from a league enter the play-offs, a path with four teams from the league in question must be formed.

16.03 b

https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles...5_DOWNLOAD.pdf

The committee can still have a say in stuff like seeding principles and hosts restrictions. But don’t think they can or will mess with 1 of the only 2 fundamental rules that they published.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    pretty sure Path B - ours - is set. We'll be away to Slovakia.
    So is Path D, with the minnows.

Paths A and C will need a draw to decide where Bulgaria, Israel, Romania and Hungary go.
    If I were them I'd prefer Path A.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    Quick look at Slovakia: Dubravka of Newcastle is their 'keeper, good backline with a couple of Serie A players, one in the Bundesliga, one in La Liga, similar in midfield actually plus Hamsik, formerly of Napoli, but their frontline looks light. Rest of the squad plays mostly for middling teams around Europe. It looks doable, particularly if McCarthy, Brady and Long are back as viable options and two from Connolly, Parrott and Obafemi are playing regularly (and scoring). But everyone will have to be near their best, individually, and they'll have to click collectively also. At least now McGoldrick, Robinson, Maguire and Collins have all broken their international ducks.
    I watched the Wales game away in Slovakia last month. They've some tidy players but yep are definitely beatable. I felt Wales should have beaten them, although Wales' attacking options are far better than ours.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    I’ve done a bit of digging and ELO make Slovakia favourite vs Ireland and it makes sense along with the comments on this thread (how you’ve seen them play, and what level/league their players are at). Away ELO gives us 35% chance win vs Slovakia.

But its actually good news on the other teams, both ranked well below both Slovakia and Ireland.

When I run all the figures I get:

To Qualify
    Slovakia 35%
    Bosnia 30%
    Ireland 20%
    N. Ireland 15%

We go up to 25% if we would have home advantage for the final. We are better than Bosnia but they have a better chance of qualifying still now because they get the easier semi and home advantage in that semi.

I’m not sure exactly how accurate ELO predictions are but probably the best estimate we can get so far ....

[I see PP have predictions up as well, they are way too short on Bosnia in my opinion.]
    Last edited by davidatrb; 20/11/2019 at 11:13 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Path B

Bosnia v Isreal
    Slovakia v N Ireland

Path C

Scotland v Isreal
    Serbia v Bulgaria
    I know Israel likes stealing other people's land, but now they're taking another country's playoff place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    My brain has been done in since Monday with this.

What are the circumstances that we get a home final, Us and the themmuns win is it?
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    My brain has been done in since Monday with this.

What are the circumstances that we get a home final, Us and the themmuns win is it?
    There will be a draw Friday morning, so decide which semi final winners have home advantage in the final

Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast