Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Slovakia v Republic of Ireland - 8th October 2020 - Euro 2020 Playoff Semi Final

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    If he gets us to the euros. He can burst into tears in every press conference if he so wishes!

2. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    If he gets us to the euros. He can burst into tears in every press conference if he so wishes!
    The Angela’s Ashes fans would love that ! ! They really really enjoy a bit of the auld suffering !

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    i can see this guy is trying to copy the book "Martin O'Neill and how to be relevant in a presser so passionately". I miss the angry nordie as you call it, so clever and witty in a sense, i remember once he said something about the good looking women. God, i miss MON

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Brady cracked a rib on the 21st sept, that pretty much rules him out doesn't it? Anyone here ever cracked a rib?
    Broke ribs twice, both times playing football, once at about 10, the other at 16. Agony to laugh, cough or sneeze, breathing itself is painful and constant. Sleeping is also a disaster. Really depends the severity. Think I was back training the first time within 10 days or two weeks but maybe young bones heal quicker.

The one at 16, I remember it being painful returning to training and matches for a month, just breathing was a high level of discomfort but being able to get through it.

I’d think if it’s not a bad one, with decent painkillers, he could get through half an hour or so...

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Still no. Byrne is central to pretty much everything Rovers do. And has the ability to step up, as seen from his performances in Europe in particular, and also from the game last year against Bulgaria, where he definitely offered something different.

I don't think you'll find many backing you on McEneff over Byrne to be honest.
    I don't expect many would agree with me, no.

The Byrne hype train is so far down the tracks that there's no stopping it at this stage. Even when he is anonymous in a game, he played well.

I don't think he'll go back abroad. Homesickness has always been offered as an excuse as to why he didn't perform, but I think he's just found his level now.

He enjoys being loved by Rovers fans (and some biased / attention seeking media heads) and a big fish in a small pond, so to speak, and good luck to him with that. He's clearly a good LOI player.

I'm not convinced he's much above this level but we'll have to listen to the hype now regardless, so Kenny will have no choice but to give him a chance, probably v Finland.

As for playing well against Bulgaria, they're such a poor side. Is it 1 win in 16 games or something.

And I know we scraped a draw over there under Kenny, but just saying that setting up a goal against Bulgaria at home is hardly a valid basis for arguing for his chance in a game such as Slovakia.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    I don't think you help yourself with your hyperbole at times to be honest. "The Byrne hype train"? "Big fish in a small pond"? I don't think you've shown anything to back up those assertions.

He's a guy who was directly involved in all bar one of Rovers' 7 European goals last year for example. That's (a) quite effective as a midfielder and (b) not an indication that he'll walk into the Irish team and start to dominate midfield. Though no-one's saying the latter.

I think he's well worth having in the squad, even if it's just maybe adding something extra to training or being an impact sub off the bench. I'm not sure McEneff has done enough to stand out in the same way to be honest.

9. Thanks From:

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lilywhites View Post
    I don't expect many would agree with me, no.

The Byrne hype train is so far down the tracks that there's no stopping it at this stage. Even when he is anonymous in a game, he played well.

I don't think he'll go back abroad. Homesickness has always been offered as an excuse as to why he didn't perform, but I think he's just found his level now.

He enjoys being loved by Rovers fans (and some biased / attention seeking media heads) and a big fish in a small pond, so to speak, and good luck to him with that. He's clearly a good LOI player.

I'm not convinced he's much above this level but we'll have to listen to the hype now regardless, so Kenny will have no choice but to give him a chance, probably v Finland.

As for playing well against Bulgaria, they're such a poor side. Is it 1 win in 16 games or something.

And I know we scraped a draw over there under Kenny, but just saying that setting up a goal against Bulgaria at home is hardly a valid basis for arguing for his chance in a game such as Slovakia.
    I've seen a lot of Byrne, both in person and on tv. I think when his fitness is down he can be a bit anonymous, but he's levels above anyone I've seen in LOI. Wes Holohan is the only one that compares that I can remember thinkin he just sees the game a bit different and picks passes that no one else at that level sees. I think the fact that he wasn't 100% fit and Rovers had an important run of games was the main reason he missed out on the first squad.

I'd agree with you on the importance of McEneff to an extent, Rovers are a much lesser side without him and he does a lot of the work that gets Byrne into good positions, but he's still a couple of levels below him.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Brady cracked a rib on the 21st sept, that pretty much rules him out doesn't it? Anyone here ever cracked a rib?
    Yes, I haven't played professional football since.

12. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Does anyone fancy us to win in normal time? Not one of my mates thinks we can do it in 90 mins. Curious to see what people think

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    On the assumption Coleman won't be fit for Thursday, I can envisage the below starting line up and I would be happy enough with it too:

Randolph; Doherty, Egan, Duffy, Stevens; McCarthy, Hourihane, Hendrick; Robinson, McGoldrick, Connolly.

A fit Coleman, Arter, O'Dowda, McClean and Idah could all break in to start. I don't know if we can or if Kenny will start three forwards in the front three. The conservative options might be to select McClean or even O'Dowda on one of the flanks.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    That'd be a very decent team and the one I'd like to think Kenny will go with. Most have had a good start to the season. Robinson and, especially McGoldrick, will improve us greatly.
    Last edited by Trequartista20; 04/10/2020 at 11:25 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Does anyone fancy us to win in normal time? Not one of my mates thinks we can do it in 90 mins. Curious to see what people think
    Cast your minds back to Stan's Ireland in 2007. Everyone had realised he was a terrible appointment after a number of risible results, including the 5-2 defeat away to Cyprus. However we had a team of players performing well for decent teams in the Premiership including Keane, Finnan, Duff, Reid, Ireland and Doyle and fully expected to beat a very decent Slovakian team (they got to the last 16 of the following World Cup) away in Bratislava. The 2-2 draw was seen as a disappointment and another nail in Stan's coffin.

The fact I would chew your arm off on Thursday for the same result in normal time, against a far inferior Slovakian team, shows how far we've regressed under the subsequent regimes.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Their goalkeeper situation is actually giving me more confidence. If we can survive today's fixture ls without an other injury, who knows

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    The fact I would chew your arm off on Thursday for the same result in normal time, against a far inferior Slovakian team, shows how far we've regressed under the subsequent regimes.
    That kind of pins the blame on the regimes, by which I understand you mean management. It's not their fault we don't have players of that calibre at the moment. Some of this is cyclical, and some of it is down to changes in youth structures in England. I feel like the FAI's been left behind a bit on that front, that England has improved a bit, and that consequently our players are down the pecking order a bit in the UK where things are more competitive than ever because of the money there.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    That kind of pins the blame on the regimes, by which I understand you mean management. It's not their fault we don't have players of that calibre at the moment. Some of this is cyclical, and some of it is down to changes in youth structures in England. I feel like the FAI's been left behind a bit on that front, that England has improved a bit, and that consequently our players are down the pecking order a bit in the UK where things are more competitive than ever because of the money there.
    I can see why it would look like that but I'm simply stating we've become worse under each subsequent regime. The reasons are many but I would agree its mainly down to the lack of any quality players coming through.

IMO of the current squad we have only 2 players of any real quality, Coleman and Doherty, and both of them play in the same position.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    [QUOTE=Olé Olé;2051592]On the assumption Coleman won't be fit for Thursday, I can envisage the below starting line up and I would be happy enough with it too:

Randolph; Doherty, Egan, Duffy, Stevens; McCarthy, Hourihane, Hendrick; Robinson, McGoldrick, Connolly.

A fit Coleman, Arter, O'Dowda, McClean and Idah could all break in to start. I don't know if we can or if Kenny will start three forwards in the front three. The conservative options might be to select McClean or even O'Dowda on one of the flanks.[/QUOTE

All Premier league players in that starting 11
    I would say it's been awhile since we have that

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    [QUOTE=Diggs246;2051608]
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    On the assumption Coleman won't be fit for Thursday, I can envisage the below starting line up and I would be happy enough with it too:

A fit Coleman, Arter, O'Dowda, McClean and Idah could all break in to start. I don't know if we can or if Kenny will start three forwards in the front three. The conservative options might be to select McClean or even O'Dowda on one of the flanks.[/QUOTE

Apart from Duffy obviously.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    [QUOTE=gally;2051609]

Apart from Duffy obviously.
    Well he is still a Brighton player, but I take your point

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post

Would you believe it was the away loss to Germany under Staunton?

24. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...-off-1.4371674

Coleman's injury will "almost likely rule him out."

Disappointing and I would have started him myself. But not the end of the world if Doherty can build again today for Spurs and come through unscathed. He'll likely be marking Rashford so a big name needed.

Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast