Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Slovakia v Republic of Ireland - 8th October 2020 - Euro 2020 Playoff Semi Final

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMiseSean View Post
    Can the FAI afford to keep him on until the Euro campaign comes to an end?
    Mick is hardly short of a few pound. And under the circumstances if his fee is too big their is an alternative ! !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    We are now all about pleasing Mick and seeing to his every needs. Whatever Mick wants, or what we think he wants, or whatever he thinks he's entitled to, we shall throw millions at it to make it happen. For Mick, all for Mick!!
    Meanwhile a conspiracy of silence in the Irish media about the excessive financial terms of Mick's contract.
    The media are also ignoring the terms of Kenny's contract and allude that he'd be a bounder and a cad to actually expect the written oaths in his contract to be honoured.
    Stephen Kenny November 2018
    "In August 2020 I'm taking over and that's been decided. It's in writing," Kenny told a news conference on Monday.

"If Mick gets Ireland to the Euros and performs well, I'll be delighted."
    Kenny, 47, insists that McCarthy and the governing body are in full agreement that he will take over in 2020.
    "It's already been decided, the decisions have already been made.

Mick McCarthy November 2018
    McCarthy said 'it makes perfect sense and he has no problem with Kenny being guaranteed to take over in two years no matter what happens between now and then'

Just the mere matter of the the FAI bankruptcy/bailout and the indefinite postponement of all football competition (no income).
    Yeah....I think we can throw basically all of those quotes out the window given nobody saw this pandemic coming. Honestly there's a good chance that even by next summer the Euros won't be able to go ahead.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Even by next summer?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Fantastic news if true. Mick has done nothing to warrant staying on longer, and is being paid way over the odds. Martin O’Neill had already qualified us for playoffs. Squad has regressed with short term mentality of Mick (not his fault) and quality of football has also regressed (if that was possible). Great (and decisive) decision by FAI
    For what it’s worth, I think the performances were better under McCarthy than the last 2 and a half years of O’Neill.

An impossible situation for everyone involved.

Positives of the reign, established the likes of McGoldrick, Egan, Stevens into the side.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    I think it’s the wrong decision personally but hopefully Kenny proves me totally wrong.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    The right decision. I've got a soft spot for Mick but this is a new FAI where transparency and fairness seem to be making progress not shady deals to keep everyone sweet. Mick got us to the playoffs so he can walk away with some measure of success and hopefully into a decent club role this summer. It's not the ending anybody would have wanted for him, but it's better than his first spell. I think his legacy will be OK this time. If Kenny completes the job it's down to Mick's rebuilding work [edit - what ES said, two posts up], and if he doesn't ... ah, he will.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    It’s a big job for Kenny to step straight into a play-off.
    I’d like to think there’ll be a lot of phone-calls between Mick and Stephen to impart all relevant info on to the new guy. But it’s a whole different dynamic for the team. New backroom team, assistant manager, coaches etc.

Far from ideal for a huge play-off game (or two)
    Last edited by Fixer82; 05/04/2020 at 10:38 AM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    It’s a big job for Kenny to step straight into a play-off.
    I’d like to think there’ll be a lot of phone-calls between Mick and Stephen to impart all relevant info on to the new guy. But it’s a whole different dynamic for the team. New backroom team, assistant manager, coaches etc.

Far from ideal for a huge play-off game (or two)
    In all probability the play offs will not be played in the 1st intl.window. None of the teams involved would want that, most likely to happen in the 2nd or 3rd window.

11. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    McCarthy did not bring us to the play offs, we were already there. We are just back to the state of affairs pre-Mick. Yet there's talk of a Eur1m bonus to be paid to Mick should SK lead the team to qualification via the play offs. This question was put to the stand-in CEO when being interviewed earlier today, he replied to the effect that he wasn't too worried about bonuses or such because there would be Eur 8m or 9m floating about should we qualify and Mick got us to the play offs.
    The interviewer thanked him effusively for being so open and transparent. That such a farcical non-answer by a FAI CEO be accepted as our norm is bad enough but the sycophancy on the part of a journalist who is supposed to ask questions is almost as bad.

I think Mick did okay, a D+. There was no bounce effect when he came in at the deep end and if Georgia be held up as one comparison, he did no better or no worse than previous. But he's put some valuable healthy distance between this current squad and the demise of O'Neill and laid a good foundation for Kenny.
    Last edited by geysir; 05/04/2020 at 11:37 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    I'd take from that that they were tied into a ridiculous contract by Delaney with no simple way out. But they can't say as much in case Delaney ever faces a reckoning in court (oh please, oh please!) and he gets off because they prejudiced his case. Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

14. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    I'd take from that that they were tied into a ridiculous contract by Delaney with no simple way out. But they can't say as much in case Delaney ever faces a reckoning in court (oh please, oh please!) and he gets off because they prejudiced his case. Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it.
    Mick did not get the team to the play offs, so what gentleman, by any standards of gentleman standards, could feign a sense of deservedness about the prospect of such reward should Ireland get to the finals.
    We are told repeatedly about Mick's genuine fervor, just how Mick was not about money but genuine patriotism. Sorry, but that's a pile of dung.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Unless someone else was managing the team when they finished in the play off positions, Mick McCarthy was the manager who got the team to the play offs.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Unless someone else was managing the team when they finished in the play off positions, Mick McCarthy was the manager who got the team to the play offs.
    We didn't finish in the "play-off positions". We got a play-off spot based off our Nations League ranking, which was in effect based off our coefficient ranking prior to kicking a ball in this campaign. A play-off was more or less a guarantee with the ridiculous new format.

19. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Gentlemen? Football? The 1880s have been on to say their thread's been hijacked.

None of us know the fine details of the contract, how loose or vague the criteria for paying out might have been, or how reckless it could be to chance breaking it, get dragged to the Four Courts and end up paying the million anyway and McCarthy's costs. Or whether it's the negotiated price to pay for McCarthy stepping down - I'm sure he could argue that the FAI have denied him a chance to earn the bonus. I just hope it's the last bloated pay-out of the Delaney era.
    - E Tattsyrup.

21. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    Gentlemen? Football? The 1880s have been on to say their thread's been hijacked.

None of us know the fine details of the contract, how loose or vague the criteria for paying out might have been, or how reckless it could be to chance breaking it, get dragged to the Four Courts and end up paying the million anyway and McCarthy's costs. Or whether it's the negotiated price to pay for McCarthy stepping down - I just hope it's the last bloated pay-out of the Delaney era.
    You can request it all be moved to the FAI thread, that wouldn't bother me. Better that than not to discuss it, wrap it all in a fudge box and move on.
    That's what the FAI would like you to do and seeing that Mick the honorable has already departed the stage with his swag, further discussion could be presented as pointless.

The details of McCarthy's contract had been leaked by 'deep throat' to the Sunday Times, printed out with certainty and in some detail. If one standard to determine veracity that we can use is 'precedent', all the other information that the ST printed about the FAI finances has turned out to be accurate, gone unchallenged and become an accepted truth. It's clear McCarthy had an exit payment written into his contract.
    The Eur1m contracted payment to McCarthy, should Ireland get to the Euros, admittedly has some uncertainty, not least because the journalist involved failed in an interview to extract a definite answer from the stand-in FAI Ceo. Nevertheless the clear implication from the CEO was that McCarthy would be paid this Eur1m bonus.

I'm sure he could argue that the FAI have denied him a chance to earn the bonus.
    Now you have a certainty?
    Mick was not denied the chance to lead us to the Euros, his contract had expired.

Certainly the original contract plans got disturbed by u turns, revisions and sweeteners, belatedly made by Delaney in band aid survival panic mode.
    Robbie was with a 4 year contract and a manager in waiting promise. But Mick already had Terry Connor as assistant manager.
    Mick was kept in the dark in regards to promises made to Robbie. Sometime after, Delaney in political survival mode shafted Robbie to the sideline and brought in Kenny. McCarthy was handed a sweetener in order to belatedly accept a non-extendible contract and be supportive of Kenny his successor. Mick arrived to discover Robbie was lurking around Abbotstown with a 4 year contract pinned to his track suit.
    No wonder the FAI want you to move on. I think a good 4 part documentary would be in order, with the full cooperation of the ST journalists.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    All right – I admit, you got me. You know as much as I do about all this.*

You can request it all be moved to the FAI thread, that wouldn't bother me. Better that than not to discuss it, wrap it all in a fudge box and move on.
    That's what the FAI would like you to do and seeing that Mick the honorable has already departed the stage with his swag, further discussion could be presented as pointless
    No wonder the FAI want you to move on.
    Dammit! Did you have to out me? For years I’ve been out of the FAI’s reaches, their nemesis, the one person who scares them more than a ST hack with a deadline looming, as they keep their secrets in a volcanic underwater lair a few miles from Bull Island. Instead of outing me and this conspiracy could you not have spent your time more productively – there must be a 5G mast nearby you could shout at instead?

But how did you know I like fudge? Just who are you, exactly, geysir - if that is your real name? Which I doubt....

I think a good 4 part documentary would be in order, with the full cooperation of the ST journalists.
    Why stop there? Why not give it the seven-season big budget Sky Atlantic treatment – Game of Throw-Ins with Andrew Scott as Kenny, Sean Bean as Mick, Robert Sheehan as Robbie, Scarlett Johansson as Claudine, and any former Gaiety Panto villain as Jawn D - the uglier the better!

Five weeks into lockdown, you hardly expected a serious response, did you?

* Given that I know SFA, I wouldn’t get too excited about that.
    Last edited by Eminence Grise; 15/04/2020 at 3:21 PM.
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Play off games to possibly be played in October
    https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/octo...-2020-play-off

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Play off games to possibly be played in October
    https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/octo...-2020-play-off
    I, for one, can wait to watch it from my armchair as a true fan.

26. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    There isn't any hope whatsoever that we'll be playing any International football in Dublin before a crowd without limitations this year. Not a hope.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    There isn't any hope whatsoever that we'll be playing any International football in Dublin before a crowd without limitations this year. Not a hope.
    I agree
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast