Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 237

Thread: Slovakia v Ireland - Euro 2020 Playoff Semi Final, 26 March 2020

  1. #81
    First Team Fixer82's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ceatharlach
    Posts
    2,066
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    702
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    496
    Thanked in
    337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Eugh.

    I will ALWAYS hate Toni Polster. And I get really miffed when reminded of that game.

    I hate hearing his name. Grrrrr!

  2. #82
    Reserves
    Joined
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    968
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    17
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    213
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Its stuff like this and being away from home, that makes me think we will be gone in the first round

    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-38901762.html


    [/FONT]

  3. #83
    Reserves
    Joined
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    549
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    24
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    94
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020...mick-mccarthy/

    Expect all the usual suspects to start. Players picked based on loyalty rather than form. Hopefully the playoffs will be the last of the bad old days of Irish football and we can start fresh with some new ideas in the autumn. Use the next two years to build a new midfield and attack and aim for automatic qualification for Euro 2024.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Long Cox

  4. #84
    Capped Player DeLorean's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    10,324
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,933
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,987
    Thanked in
    1,906 Posts
    Just out of curiosity, who do you think will be picked out of loyalty that isn't in good form? And who will be left out unfairly? Randolph is obviously our best option in goals. The Sheffield United trio will all start. Duffy has had a tricky season at Brighton but is obviously important for us. Coleman/Doherty both having good seasons. Hendrick playing every game for Burnley again. I'd like to see James McCarthy come in, but if he refuses then Whelan's performances for us in this campaign, along with his experience, will have justified his selection. McClean seems to be playing well lately as much as I'm not a huge fan. There's a reasonable chance Shane Long will be rewarded for his form.

    Starting XI

    Randolph
    Coleman/Doherty
    Duffy
    Egan
    Stevens
    Doherty/Browne/Hourihane
    McCarthy/Whelan
    Hendrick
    McClean
    McGoldrick
    Long/Maguire/Connolly

    Am I forgetting anybody?
    Last edited by DeLorean; 11/02/2020 at 8:22 AM.

  5. Thanks From:


  6. #85
    Reserves
    Joined
    May 2002
    Posts
    579
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    40
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    93
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    Maybe Robbie Brady? He hasn't been featuring in recent weeks but has that bit of quality... Connolly has lost his place recently too so unless that changes may not even make the final squad based on Mick's comments:

    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...akia-1.4168968

    I would say that injuries aside it's the two spots you identify, right wing and centre forward, where there are selection dilemmas.

  7. #86
    Reserves
    Joined
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    968
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    17
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    213
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Just out of curiosity, who do you think will be picked out of loyalty that isn't in good form? And who will be left out unfairly? Randolph is obviously our best option in goals. The Sheffield United trio will all start. Duffy has had a tricky season at Brighton but is obviously important for us. Coleman/Doherty both having good seasons. Hendrick playing every game for Burnley again. I'd like to see James McCarthy come in, but if he refuses then Whelan's performances for us in this campaign, along with his experience, will have justified his selection. McClean seems to be playing well lately as much as I'm not a huge fan. There's a reasonable chance Shane Long will be rewarded for his form.

    Starting XI

    Randolph
    Coleman/Doherty
    Duffy
    Egan
    Stevens
    Doherty/Browne/Hourihane
    McCarthy/Whelan
    Hendrick
    McClean
    McGoldrick
    Long/Maguire/Connolly

    Am I forgetting anybody?
    I guess this will be his team

    Randolph
    Coleman
    Duffy
    Egan
    Stevens
    Hourihane
    Whelan
    Hendrick
    McClean
    McGoldrick
    Long

    I would go for


    Randolph
    Coleman
    Duffy
    Egan
    Stevens
    Doherty
    McCarthy
    Cullen
    McClean
    McGoldrick
    Obefami

  8. #87
    Reserves
    Joined
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    549
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    24
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    94
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Our keeper and defense is fine, no issues there. However, beyond that I have serious problems with McCarthy's approach.

    I take issue with Hendrick being continually picked when he's contributing nothing really. I think we have two or three options that are better than him or Whelan - so basically out of the midfield he is likely to pick I think only Hourihane justifies his place, mainly for his set piece deliveries.

    Up front I think it would be madness not to play Long off McGoldrick but the soundings are that he probably won't be picked.

    You can make an argument for and against McClean, at least he's in reasonable form but do we really want to start a player that gives the ball away as much as he does? I have always thought he was a better bench impact player for us.

    It would be unbelievable if Connolly doesn't make the final squad. McCarthy seems far too interested in whether a player is starting for his club (unless it's one of his favourites - then it doesn't seem to matter in the slightest). Connolly has looked good out on the left every time I've seen him play there, our system is different to Brighton's and just because things haven't bounced his way at club level in the last few weeks doesn't make him a bad player overnight.

    There's a saying that the definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome and I think it applies here. Barring a few late equalisers in games we should have lost we were awful throughout the qualifying campaign, there's nothing to suggest otherwise that by picking the same players things will somehow be different in the playoffs.

    Here's the team I would pick, including a few 50/50 toss ups - obviously there's no hope of this team playing but it would likely be a step up from what we will be watching in Slovakia:

    Randolph
    Doherty/Coleman
    Stevens
    Duffy
    Egan
    McCarthy
    Cullen/Molumby
    Hourihane
    Connolly
    Long
    McGoldrick

    With McClean, Robinson and Obafemi among the potential impact players on the bench if we're chasing the game and Clark and Whelan on hand if we're defending a lead.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Long Cox

  9. #88
    Reserves
    Joined
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    968
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    17
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    213
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Our keeper and defense is fine, no issues there. However, beyond that I have serious problems with McCarthy's approach.

    I take issue with Hendrick being continually picked when he's contributing nothing really. I think we have two or three options that are better than him or Whelan - so basically out of the midfield he is likely to pick I think only Hourihane justifies his place, mainly for his set piece deliveries.

    Up front I think it would be madness not to play Long off McGoldrick but the soundings are that he probably won't be picked.

    You can make an argument for and against McClean, at least he's in reasonable form but do we really want to start a player that gives the ball away as much as he does? I have always thought he was a better bench impact player for us.

    It would be unbelievable if Connolly doesn't make the final squad. McCarthy seems far too interested in whether a player is starting for his club (unless it's one of his favourites - then it doesn't seem to matter in the slightest). Connolly has looked good out on the left every time I've seen him play there, our system is different to Brighton's and just because things haven't bounced his way at club level in the last few weeks doesn't make him a bad player overnight.

    There's a saying that the definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome and I think it applies here. Barring a few late equalisers in games we should have lost we were awful throughout the qualifying campaign, there's nothing to suggest otherwise that by picking the same players things will somehow be different in the playoffs.

    Here's the team I would pick, including a few 50/50 toss ups - obviously there's no hope of this team playing but it would likely be a step up from what we will be watching in Slovakia:

    Randolph
    Doherty/Coleman
    Stevens
    Duffy
    Egan
    McCarthy
    Cullen/Molumby
    Hourihane
    Connolly
    Long
    McGoldrick

    With McClean, Robinson and Obafemi among the potential impact players on the bench if we're chasing the game and Clark and Whelan on hand if we're defending a lead.
    Also this business of "I tried in against Gibraltar" (Coleman and Doherty playing) and it didn't work holds very little water as every player Barr our keeper was terrible that day

  10. #89
    International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Limerick for now.
    Posts
    7,393
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,131
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,573
    Thanked in
    859 Posts
    I don't really see the point in McCarthy making those comments when there are still 6 weeks to go, and players have that much more chance of getting injured or losing form.

    I don't know why he was even asked about it really.

  11. #90
    Reserves
    Joined
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    549
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    24
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    94
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    He's laying the ground work for his masterplan to spring 'Judgey' and Will Keane from the bench on 77 minutes to grab us an equaliser and force extra time in Bratislava.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Long Cox

  12. #91
    Reserves
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    551
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    73
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020...mick-mccarthy/

    Expect all the usual suspects to start. Players picked based on loyalty rather than form. Hopefully the playoffs will be the last of the bad old days of Irish football and we can start fresh with some new ideas in the autumn. Use the next two years to build a new midfield and attack and aim for automatic qualification for Euro 2024.
    No mention at all of Obafemi in there. Does he see him as more established option than Idah, Parrott and Connolly, or is he just not on Mick's radar for Slovakia? I hope the former, but suspect the latter.

  13. #92
    Reserves
    Joined
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    549
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    24
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    94
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    I'd say not on his radar at all to be honest. If he's not going to pick Shane Long, he's definitely not going to pick Obafemi.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Long Cox

  14. #93
    First Team
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,512
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    53
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    665
    Thanked in
    428 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    No mention at all of Obafemi in there. Does he see him as more established option than Idah, Parrott and Connolly, or is he just not on Mick's radar for Slovakia? I hope the former, but suspect the latter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    I'd say not on his radar at all to be honest. If he's not going to pick Shane Long, he's definitely not going to pick Obafemi.
    He mentioned in an earlier interview that he saw him against Palace and sounded impressed. Of the four youngsters, I think Obafemi is the best option for right now and should be included in the squad. Look, at this point Mick should be left to make his decisions - this isn't a time for blooding in talent, that can be done by Kenny in the Nations League - this is all about getting two results. Assuming no injuries, front line should be McGoldrick, Long, Robinson, Obafemi and possibly Hogan if he keeps up his current form and we decide to go with five forwards.

  15. #94
    Capped Player
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Maígh Eó
    Posts
    14,917
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,894
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    849
    Thanked in
    678 Posts
    If Mick Mac is picking the squad and team tomorrow then I don't see Long featuring based off what he has said in his latest interviews, about both Long and the players already selected. Another big worry really. The one thing he should have learned from the campaign is that he needs a trick or two or be able spring a surprise, the current gameplan, tactics and player selection hes been espousing has just got him out of jail now and again. He needs more this time around.

    I am not bothered about connolly, hopefully his time will come. But it is not now. I want to see Long though, I want to see speed in the attack. Only problem with Long and McGoldrick is that we don't have any finisher, or anything near a finisher so we probably need goals from midfield. Id like to think Byrne and Obafemi could be sprung from the bench with 25 mins to go if we need a goal.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

  16. Thanks From:


  17. #95
    Capped Player DeLorean's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    10,324
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,933
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,987
    Thanked in
    1,906 Posts
    I pretty much agree with that bar being a bit more hopeful that Long will feature. Having said that, I'd kind of forgot that McCarthy is happy to use McGoldrick as a number nine. That reduces Long's chances significantly, as opposed to just fighting it out with Hogan, Maguire, Collins and a couple of the newbies. On reflection, I'm kind of worried.

  18. #96
    Apprentice
    Joined
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    25
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    To me l, the most obvious route is to go with the 3-5-2 which would work perfectly for our most “in form” players. Something like this :

    Randolph
    Egan Duffy Clark
    Doc McCarthy Hendrick Hourihane Steven
    Long McGoldrick

    All of the back three + the two wing backs play this system at their clubs so should have no problem adapting. Solid and experienced team, which Mick has referred to.

    A front two of McGoldrick and Long would be a nightmare for a defence to play against, even if their scoring stats aren’t high.

    It would leave the opportunity to go back to the days of McClean as an impact sub (whether we’re ahead of behind) Browne, Robinson and Robbie Brady the obvious other changes if needed!

  19. #97
    First Team Fixer82's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ceatharlach
    Posts
    2,066
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    702
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    496
    Thanked in
    337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I pretty much agree with that bar being a bit more hopeful that Long will feature. Having said that, I'd kind of forgot that McCarthy is happy to use McGoldrick as a number nine. That reduces Long's chances significantly, as opposed to just fighting it out with Hogan, Maguire, Collins and a couple of the newbies. On reflection, I'm kind of worried.
    I would assume McGoldrick would be playing the no.10 role with Long as no.9

  20. #98
    Capped Player DeLorean's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    10,324
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,933
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,987
    Thanked in
    1,906 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    I would assume McGoldrick would be playing the no.10 role with Long as no.9
    That's what I would do, but is it what Mick will do? I'm doubtful.

  21. #99
    Capped Player
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Maígh Eó
    Posts
    14,917
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,894
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    849
    Thanked in
    678 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdManRun View Post
    To me l, the most obvious route is to go with the 3-5-2 which would work perfectly for our most “in form” players. Something like this :

    Randolph
    Egan Duffy Clark
    Doc McCarthy Hendrick Hourihane Steven
    Long McGoldrick

    All of the back three + the two wing backs play this system at their clubs so should have no problem adapting. Solid and experienced team, which Mick has referred to.

    A front two of McGoldrick and Long would be a nightmare for a defence to play against, even if their scoring stats aren’t high.

    It would leave the opportunity to go back to the days of McClean as an impact sub (whether we’re ahead of behind) Browne, Robinson and Robbie Brady the obvious other changes if needed!
    I like this, but I can't see it happening, and I can't see him not playing Coleman either(even if you switch coleman for someone else). That would provide a great attacking out let. The one thing we did well in the second half of the last game against Denmark was actually attack well though, so I reckon he will go with that again. The problem was we were very blunt and didnt create any real chances. 2 up front would change that.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

  22. #100
    First Team Fixer82's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ceatharlach
    Posts
    2,066
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    702
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    496
    Thanked in
    337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdManRun View Post
    To me l, the most obvious route is to go with the 3-5-2 which would work perfectly for our most “in form” players. Something like this :

    Randolph
    Egan Duffy Clark
    Doc McCarthy Hendrick Hourihane Steven
    Long McGoldrick

    All of the back three + the two wing backs play this system at their clubs so should have no problem adapting. Solid and experienced team, which Mick has referred to.

    A front two of McGoldrick and Long would be a nightmare for a defence to play against, even if their scoring stats aren’t high.

    It would leave the opportunity to go back to the days of McClean as an impact sub (whether we’re ahead of behind) Browne, Robinson and Robbie Brady the obvious other changes if needed!
    Enda Stevens behind front two??

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 17/11/2019, 9:30 AM
  2. ET: EURO 2020 Qualifier: Northern Ireland -v- Germany
    By Foot.ie in forum Football Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08/09/2019, 9:30 PM
  3. Replies: 166
    Last Post: 31/05/2019, 2:19 PM
  4. Replies: 272
    Last Post: 31/05/2019, 2:17 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02/12/2018, 12:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •