Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 season arrivals and departures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by desaintsno.12 View Post
    Benson Confirmed to us (Pats)
    I can understand him wanting to start his actuarial career and step back from full time training. He had a really difficult season with Dundalk due to two bad injuries. Spending so much time on the sidelines must have left him bored. However, I still think he could have given full time football a couple more seasons.

Pats have a really good player, in great physical condition, and with a terrific attitude.

Dundalk fans will always be grateful for his performances and commitment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Be nice to see Caulfield back in management after the disgraceful way he was treated in Cork.
    This must be a windup! He nearly got them relegated with a full time setup and a wage bill of €1m. He has given every chance and they seemed to be dis-improving every game rather than recovering.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    I can understand him wanting to start his actuarial career and step back from full time training. He had a really difficult season with Dundalk due to two bad injuries. Spending so much time on the sidelines must have left him bored. However, I still think he could have given full time football a couple more seasons.

Pats have a really good player, in great physical condition, and with a terrific attitude.

Dundalk fans will always be grateful for his performances and commitment.
    Pats are full time.
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    Pats are full time.
    That’s the part that isn’t clear, will he be FT at Pats ? I know they trained mornings last year, has that changed ? One of the reasons cited for him leaving Dundalk was work commitments.
    Either way, excellent signing for Pats

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    I'll never learn from getting carried away each pre-season and making bold claims based on big signings that often in our case don't work out.

Get engraving that league trophy already.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    I'll never learn from getting carried away each pre-season and making bold claims based on big signings that often in our case don't work out.

Get engraving that league trophy already.
    winning the transfer window
    I'm hearing there could be a bit of a clear out at Pats ? Presumably putting his own stamp on the squad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    winning the transfer window
    I'm hearing there could be a bit of a clear out at Pats ? Presumably putting his own stamp on the squad.
    Yeah quite a big one by all accounts, quite controversially in some cases too as it's rumoured Clarkie has been told he can find a new team despite having a year left on his deal and being our best player by a distance last season. Can't really complain otherwise though, we were that underwhelming last season I don't think there's any more than a handful we'd be sad to lose really. Some big enough names like Drennan, Madden, McCabe etc have gotten the boot, O'Donnell obviously wasn't impressed with what he saw at the end of the season. No complaints if we continue in this vein though.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Graham Cummins released by Rovers. Will he stay in the LOI ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    Graham Cummins released by Rovers. Will he stay in the LOI ?
    I'd doubt it , not good enough for the premier anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    What a player Benson was, thought he had perfectly linked in with Shields, nice blend of the two styles. He owes DFC nothing, got a standing ovation on Monday night when taken off v Linfield and you saw the reaction too from his teammates, met him a few times also, lovely guy to boot. Leaves with 3 league titles and an FAI Cup, some haul for 4 seasons.

He has had a few bad injuries and started less than 10 games this year, plus it looked like Sloggett was signed on Fri as his replacement, hes 4 years younger than Robbie, but he will still do a good job for Pats, be a great player to watch plus he learnt from the master, O’Donnell. Also heard he will soon return to his day job, so maybe this is the start of moving into that.

Thanks for all the memories Robbie, sealing qualification to the EL group stage v BATE, and that strike in Warsaw just two, but not a bad top 2 !
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingswood Rover View Post
    Whats a dinner dance, is that the plate chucking malarkey the Bubble and squeaks do.
    alternative word for it is awards night with dinner to serve too and music..
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    He has had a few bad injuries and started less than 10 games this year, plus it looked like Sloggett was signed on Fri as his replacement, hes 4 years younger than Robbie, but he will still do a good job for Pats, be a great player to watch plus he learnt from the master, O’Donnell. Also heard he will soon return to his day job, so maybe this is the start of moving into that.
    I'm not sure Sloggett will be his direct replacement. Sloggett plays a lot more like Shields than Benson - in terms of his style of play, and the position.

Sloggett is generally a 6. that sits infront of the back four and mops things up. He's got a great engine, plays simple passes and keeps the game ticking over. I would consider Benson more an 8.

Sloggett is a great signing for Dundalk and a huge loss to Derry City.
    Last edited by Olander; 13/11/2019 at 5:01 PM.
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Yeah, Sloggett and Benson are not the same player by any stretch of the imagination.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Yes, I got that wrong, Sloggett def a 6, and will challenge Shields, which was the one position we didn't have cover for. DFC def need a replacement like for like for Benson, may have to look outside the league though.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Flores is closer to a Benson type player. If he gets an injury free run could be a real gem of a player from the bits we have seen. Also seems to have the right attitude though looked to be a joker in the pack initially. Wasnt it said that Pats started training in the evening under O'Donnell? That can change by preseason but the manager might be using the slower building type job bit like Dundalk 2013 than jumping in with marquee full time signings regardless of budget. Surprised by a a couple of players that are rumoured to be on the move, new broom and all that but the likes of Drennan I'd have thought would be worth another punt and keeping with the general shortage of strikers and as mentioned Clarke. Madden never seemed the type of player whose attitude would have been off, still only 31, and some experience in a side is always good. All round it will be an interesting close season. Byrne starting tomorrow night really has him in the shop window. Also seeing what Shels statement of intent is if they change the promotion squad much. Any word on Ollie Horgan extending his stay at Finn Park?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    No question about Maddens attitude he is a good pro but reckon injuries are starting to take their toll on him, not much left in the tank I reckon. As for Drennan I’m not too disappointed to see him go , he was awful for the vast majority of the season and a perpetual moaner.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Town have signed Rob Manley from Cabo. Joins up with his brother Joe. Cracking signing if he can repeat his form of last season.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Yeah Drennan would have been a risky one, just thought maybe O'Donnell could have worked on him as there is bound to still be some potential there and at only 25. Would Rovers fans have him back - he'd be an upgrade on Cummins regardless of any baggage. Fair point on Madden, (still perplexed Sean McCaffrey(RiP) saying he wasnt good enough for Dundalk in 2012 lol). He is probably Shels bound now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    I felt sorry for Drennan for much of the season as the way we were playing made it a thankless task for any striker to be a success and he obviously has a lot of quality about him. Seems more like his attitude was an issue though, as was said always moaning on the pitch (which got him two red cards) and when O'Donnell came in he barely featured when you would've thought it was his chance of a fresh start.

Given how the season went I'm not gutted to see him go but at the same time I can see him scoring plenty for whoever gets him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Drennan was excellent for us before his issues and I thought we had made a mistake when he banged in a few early for pats. He looked very out of condition in the matches I saw him. Couldn't see o Donnell putting up with that.
    Saying that I hope he gets another club and another chance.

Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast