Page 27 of 44 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 season arrivals and departures

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC View Post
    I just see a lad called Colm Whelan assisted a goal for UCD in the Colleges tournament.

I assume that's the lad that was at Waterford last season? Going only off his performance in the u19 final he could be a seriously good signing for UCD and good to see he's not gone to England but staying here to pursue studies.
    Yeah, same guy. Scored what - 30 goals for Waterford's 19s last year? Scored against Dundalk in a friendly last month (Dundalk scored 7, granted...)

Him and Mahdy up front could score a few hopefully.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC View Post
    Is there a list of all these transfers anywhere?

I just see a lad called Colm Whelan assisted a goal for UCD in the Colleges tournament.

I assume that's the lad that was at Waterford last season? Going only off his performance in the u19 final he could be a seriously good signing for UCD and good to see he's not gone to England but staying here to pursue studies.
    Yeah that's him he scored v Dundalk in pre season and looked really impressive

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Whelan is a superb talent. Definitely one to watch. Big career ahead of him if he keeps his head screwed on.

Brian Murphy tonight signed for Waterford from Cardiff.

Rennie has gone quietly about his business and has built a potentially serious little squad. Much more optimistic then this time last year. Can’t wait for it to get going again

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sulywaterfordfc View Post
    Whelan is a superb talent. Definitely one to watch. Big career ahead of him if he keeps his head screwed on.

Brian Murphy tonight signed for Waterford from Cardiff.

Rennie has gone quietly about his business and has built a potentially serious little squad. Much more optimistic then this time last year. Can’t wait for it to get going again
    I'm not sure how Waterford will do this season but I think Rennie deserves huge credit for building the squad he has and at least giving the blues some sort of chance. 5 or 6 weeks ago they barely had a single player on the books

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Hard to pass up the opportunity to sign Murphy but now 2 keepers & still only one centre half in Bone who is more or a midfielder.

Waterford have some interesting signings but the side looks so unbalanced

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    I'm not sure how Waterford will do this season but I think Rennie deserves huge credit for building the squad he has and at least giving the blues some sort of chance. 5 or 6 weeks ago they barely had a single player on the books
    In fairness when it was announced Rennie signed a new contract, most assumed he wouldn’t stay on without an competitive budget. Even going back 5/6 weeks ago, with the players that were on the the books it was looking likely we’d build a good albeit small squad for 2020. At that stage we’d some highly rated youngsters signed on first team contracts with Cummins, Bone, Kev OConnor, Tagh Ryan, Allardice, FitzGerald etc.

Our two most interesting signings without a shadow are Wilson from Man City andAle Coote from Brentford B, Coote was their play of the year last season and was also the B team captain. Interesting season ahead for sure

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Graham Cummins can play centre back and started his career in that position before making his name as a striker. Good interview in local paper with him this week about that. We definitely need a few more defenders as squad still lacks depth. I agree that Reynolds deserves credit for squad with he has got together over last 6 weeks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Kelly View Post
    Hard to pass up the opportunity to sign Murphy but now 2 keepers & still only one centre half in Bone who is more or a midfielder.

Waterford have some interesting signings but the side looks so unbalanced
    No offense but you need two keepers in the first team squad, you can’t run the risk at premier division level of the first choice getting injured for a lengthy period and then having to rely on underage keepers.

Aside from that, Rennie has players training throughout preseason, just because a player hasn’t been announced doesn’t mean he wont be signing. I’ve heard we’ve potentially 3/4 others to be announced. The PFAI gave away a couple on a recent social media post.

When Cummins last played with the club he signed as a centre back and then was converted into a striker from when we played and beat Monaghan 6/0 if I remember correctly. Cummins has played at centre back a couple of times during preseason, wouldn’t surprise me if he played centre back this year with a couple of defenders to come in before the deadline.

I think goals might be our biggest problem this year.
    Last edited by sulywaterfordfc; 13/02/2020 at 8:09 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    You need two keepers but I’d imagine Ryan is on a wage for a starting keeper & Murphy won’t be cheap either so that is a large chunk of your budget especially when you have a small squad

Cummins as a starting level prem division centre back is a massive leap of faith, you may get away with something like that in the first division but I’d have serious reservations at this level.

On the plus side if Cummins is at centre back then O’Connor is less likely to be shifted out to the wing, he didn’t get loads of goals at the end of last season but I really liked his all round play which could be a great foil for someone like coote who is a really interesting pick up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trevy View Post
    Graham Cummins can play centre back and started his career in that position before making his name as a striker. Good interview in local paper with him this week about that. We definitely need a few more defenders as squad still lacks depth. I agree that Reynolds deserves credit for squad with he has got together over last 6 weeks.
    That certainly explains why Caulfield was so eager to bring him in as a striker. I doubt he can be seriously a considereation for centre half. If a patched up defence due to injuries/suspensions of course, but even as proper cover after years of playing up front?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    City bring Joseph Olowu in on loan from Arsenal until the summer. Center back, looked very comfortable on the ball against Longford on Saturday.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Pats have signed Ollie Younger on loan from Burnley until July. Plays at centre back

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Deshane Dalling also joins us on loan from QPR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Waterford signed two players Andre Burley and Akin Odimayo on loan from Reading. John O'Shea who is a coach there helped arrange the loan move. Both played very well last night by all accounts.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trevy View Post
    Waterford signed two players Andre Burley and Akin Odimayo on loan from Reading. John O'Shea who is a coach there helped arrange the loan move. Both played very well last night by all accounts.
    Was wondering who those lads were when reading the match report. That clears things up.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Vinny Faherty resigns for gufc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    I wonder are Preston hoping Burke does well between now and July so they can sell him in the summer. He still has one year left on his contract after the current English season. I wonder if they’ll try to recoup some of the transfer fee in the summer by shipping him off to a league one club or have they already cut their losses and they’re willing to send him back on loan in July for the remainder of his contract?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Will Longbottom signs from Waterford having been released by Doncaster in recent weeks

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sulywaterfordfc View Post
    Will Longbottom signs from Waterford having been released by Doncaster in recent weeks
    He was on trial with Rovers, we are supposed to be signing a new striker this week I thought it was going to be him. Be interesting to see who we sign now, were being linked to Adam Rooney.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    No chance of Rooney signing he is on megabuvks at Salford and he is their top scorer with them chasing a playoff place.

Page 27 of 44 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast