Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 season arrivals and departures

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Boyle was certainly not first choice last season, and even with (the mistake imo) of moving Hoare into Shields role in the cup final, he still missed out, as Gartland was preferred with Hoare. I think teams going for league titles and having aspirations of doing better in Europe will still need 4 central defenders, but it would seem Hoare / Cleary are the first choice two for now. For a good few games last season, Boyle didn't look 100% fit. He has 3 years left though, should have a lot to offer.

Massey will be under serious pressure now with Leahy joining, this is an excellent addition. When Jarvis was there, you got the impression he would be second choice, but to be fair he got plenty of games too, Leahy may not have the experience yet, but he’ll be joining to dislodge Massey, good to have that competition.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

2. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Boyle was certainly not first choice last season, and even with (the mistake imo) of moving Hoare into Shields role in the cup final, he still missed out, as Gartland was preferred with Hoare. I think teams going for league titles and having aspirations of doing better in Europe will still need 4 central defenders, but it would seem Hoare / Cleary are the first choice two for now. For a good few games last season, Boyle didn't look 100% fit. He has 3 years left though, should have a lot to offer.

Massey will be under serious pressure now with Leahy joining, this is an excellent addition. When Jarvis was there, you got the impression he would be second choice, but to be fair he got plenty of games too, Leahy may not have the experience yet, but he’ll be joining to dislodge Massey, good to have that competition.
    Has something changed from Perth's recent comments about transfer strategy and pushing on to another level? Leahy is a decent young player and Sloggett looks fairly solid but neither of them are the pushing on in Europe type signings that have been spoken about.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
    Has something changed from Perth's recent comments about transfer strategy and pushing on to another level? Leahy is a decent young player and Sloggett looks fairly solid but neither of them are the pushing on in Europe type signings that have been spoken about.
    Darragh Leahy and Greg Sloggett will both have to work hard to dislodge Dane Massey and Chris Shields in their respective positions - so in that sense they are both likely to add to squad depth rather than be some sort of marquee signings.

If there is any recruitment from abroad this more likely to be in the January transfer window rather than pre-Christmas. A striker, central midfielder (No 8 to replace Robbie Benson) and a winger may be on the shopping list

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Darragh Leahy and Greg Sloggett will both have to work hard to dislodge Dane Massey and Chris Shields in their respective positions - so in that sense they are both likely to add to squad depth rather than be some sort of marquee signings.

If there is any recruitment from abroad this more likely to be in the January transfer window rather than pre-Christmas. A striker, central midfielder (No 8 to replace Robbie Benson) and a winger may be on the shopping list
    I'm a big fan of Massey going back. Best left back of the decade for sure. But young Leahy is a better player than him currently. Was he injured last year or why did Jarvis play as much?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David BOHie View Post
    I'm a big fan of Massey going back. Best left back of the decade for sure. But young Leahy is a better player than him currently. Was he injured last year or why did Jarvis play as much?
    If Darragh Leahy proves himself to be better then Dane Massey, he will get plenty of game time; Dane is currently the man in possession of the left back position and Darragh will need to work hard to get ahead of him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Leahy is an U21 international and signed as cover for the best left back of the last 5/6 years. Not sure how that could be seen as anything but positive from Dundalk perspective (and presumably why shams tried to sign the same player previously).

Sloggett is clearly also squad material. I suspect Dundalk are far from finished yet but getting the right players appears to be the emphasis rather than splurging on whatever midfielders happen to be available.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts

90% of players abroad cant sign until January anyway, and it will be more than likely late January

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Leahy is an U21 international and signed as cover for the best left back of the last 5/6 years. Not sure how that could be seen as anything but positive from Dundalk perspective (and presumably why shams tried to sign the same player previously).

Sloggett is clearly also squad material. I suspect Dundalk are far from finished yet but getting the right players appears to be the emphasis rather than splurging on whatever midfielders happen to be available.
    It's nice to see you give such an impassioned defence of your parent club, but I never said they weren't good signings. It seemed listening to Perth that his focus was bringing in players from outside the league that would significantly improve the level, so I was a bit surprised the first two signings were Irish based squad players to add to an already sizable squad, but as the non-closeted Dundalk fan kindly pointed out the nature of the European transfer windows makes those signings more likely in January.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Andy Myler the new UCD manager. No mention of where Maciej fits in, if at all.

Don't know what Myler's been doing with himself the past few years?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    It's nice to see you give such an impassioned defence of your parent club, but I never said they weren't good signings. It seemed listening to Perth that his focus was bringing in players from outside the league that would significantly improve the level, so I was a bit surprised the first two signings were Irish based squad players to add to an already sizable squad, but as the non-closeted Dundalk fan kindly pointed out the nature of the European transfer windows makes those signings more likely in January.

The Dundalk squad might be sizable in terms of two per (most) positions, but the 3 incomings so far Patching, Sloggett and Leahy are to counter two who have already moved out in Benson and Jarvis. I think we need another striker, and definitely a winger, as there was little option for Duffy when his kid was born and he missed the away game in Riga last summer.

I heard a striker from UK was being looked at, no details on who this is / from what club though.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post

Tremendous little dig there to your 'mates' I enjoyed that.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    The Dundalk squad might be sizable in terms of two per (most) positions, but the 3 incomings so far Patching, Sloggett and Leahy are to counter two who have already moved out in Benson and Jarvis. I think we need another striker, and definitely a winger, as there was little option for Duffy when his kid was born and he missed the away game in Riga last summer.

I heard a striker from UK was being looked at, no details on who this is / from what club though.
    Surely another striker would involve moving Kelly on then? Hoban, Kelly and another high profile striker for one position seems like overkill.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Given Dundalk's penchant for all things red and white could be last seasons golden boot winner, or last season's top scorer in all competitions, both currently back with their parent clubs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Kelly is contracted to end of 2020, Hoban to end of 2021, both can score at home, especially the latter, but still think they are after a better striker for Europe. Goals scored last season was ridiculously low (2), including a missed pen.

If a new one arrives, not sure how this would go, but might see Kelly moving, maybe on loan?

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Andy Myler the new UCD manager. No mention of where Maciej fits in, if at all.

Don't know what Myler's been doing with himself the past few years?
    If he could make some reference to Harps being wrestlers, that would be great. Don't want to end up looking like some sort of mentaller.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Surely another striker would involve moving Kelly on then? Hoban, Kelly and another high profile striker for one position seems like overkill.
    While there is no room for another traditional old style centre forward, a striker with pace operating behind the no 9 or from either wing would offer a lot of tactical options. Whether Georgie Kelly will be patient if he does not get more game time this season is a separate if related issue

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    It's nice to see you give such an impassioned defence of your parent club.
    Not quite sure what the spawn of Dundalk FC is? Is there a football related paternity test that you can recommend?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    While there is no room for another traditional old style centre forward, a striker with pace operating behind the no 9 or from either wing would offer a lot of tactical options. Whether Georgie Kelly will be patient if he does not get more game time this season is a separate if related issue
    Obviously he won't be allowed near Rovers, but I actually think he's exactly what we need. Greene is key to the way we play and I'd be surprised if we brought someone in who would replace him in the starting line up, but what is desperately needed is an alternative option off the bench who offers something different and is a natural finisher.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts

Out of last seasons first team squad there could be as many as 7 players leaving to make way for new arrivals.

Currently there are 4 of last seasons squad who have already gone to other clubs - Benson (St Pats), Jarvis (Larne), Folan (South Melbourne) & Treacy (Drogheda). Another 3 are not signed up for next season and/or may be moving on - McGrath, Hand & Dummigan.

There will be more signings at Dundalk in the New Year - the quality of them will tell a lot about where Peak6 sit in terms of the stated goal of making the group stages in Europe again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Obviously he won't be allowed near Rovers, but I actually think he's exactly what we need. Greene is key to the way we play and I'd be surprised if we brought someone in who would replace him in the starting line up, but what is desperately needed is an alternative option off the bench who offers something different and is a natural finisher.
    You make it sound so attractive!

Swap a place on the bench with the League Champions who have won 5 of the last 6 league titles (and 5 FAI and League Cups) for a place on the bench with the club who have won 1 FAI Cup and 1 League Cup in the same period?

Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast