Page 81 of 81 FirstFirst ... 3171798081
Results 1,601 to 1,620 of 1620

Thread: Caoimhín Kelleher GK Liverpool b.1998

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    Like everyone else - goalkeepers can have an off day - and their job is made significantly worse when the rest of the team is playing absolute rubbish. The key thing for a keeper is that it doesn't become a habit.

Off the top of my head the only keeper I remember it being said about never having an off day was Pat Jennings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Drops to the bench today with Allison fit again…
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Drops to the bench today with Allison fit again…
    Starting that sentence with " Drops " was a bit of a frightener !

4. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    748 Posts
    That's almost certainly the end of Kelleher's club season in terms of actually playing games, but it has been a good one overall. Imperative now from an Irish perspective in light of Bazunu's injury that he moves to get regular first team football next season.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    big summer of change at liverpool should be as good reason as ever for him to find first team football somwhere. id be shocked if he didnt move.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    426 Posts
    Unfortunately think this takes pressure off him to move. Whoever the next manager is Kelleher will have been first choice for 8 games by the time Bazunu is back and Bazunu could easily find himself on the bench next season once fit. Think this long term injury sees Kelleher give Liverpool one more season to see what happens there long term with Alisson.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    This always gets suggested with Irish players but a move to Celtic would be ideal at this stage of his career.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Unfortunately think this takes pressure off him to move. Whoever the next manager is Kelleher will have been first choice for 8 games by the time Bazunu is back and Bazunu could easily find himself on the bench next season once fit. Think this long term injury sees Kelleher give Liverpool one more season to see what happens there long term with Alisson.
    It mightn't - though really Kelleher should probably move at this stage anyway to get the regular top-level games he seems capable of, in what's likely to be a pre-season of upheaval. He can try a buy-back clause (like Bazunu) if needs be

But there'd been suggestions on the Max O'Leary thread that he was by rights number two on form lately. Kelleher may still have a proper challenge for the Ireland jersey (if we assume Travers has dropped back by virtue of his injury misfortune - to be recalled because of injury to someone else)

I think probably O'Leary starts one of the June games now? Not as if Kelleher is injury-proof himself

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    748 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    This always gets suggested with Irish players but a move to Celtic would be ideal at this stage of his career.
    They can't afford him. They probably can't even afford to loan him if that was an option.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    748 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    It mightn't - though really Kelleher should probably move at this stage anyway to get the regular top-level games he seems capable of, in what's likely to be a pre-season of upheaval. He can try a buy-back clause (like Bazunu) if needs be

But there'd been suggestions on the Max O'Leary thread that he was by rights number two on form lately. Kelleher may still have a proper challenge for the Ireland jersey (if we assume Travers has dropped back by virtue of his injury misfortune - to be recalled because of injury to someone else)

I think probably O'Leary starts one of the June games now? Not as if Kelleher is injury-proof himself
    O'Leary is overdue a cap anyway. There will be a number of keepers at the Euros that he's better than and yet he has been fourth choice, outside of most squads and unable to get a cap for us.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    I get that there's the attraction to Celtic, but apart from Rangers (maybe), he'd be testing himself against the equivalent of lower Championship or even League One opponents.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Yeah, Celtic was a good move for Idah. But it's not for Kelleher I'd have thought

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Yeah, Celtic was a good move for Idah. But it's not for Kelleher I'd have thought
    Good for Idah in that he's playing and scoring and that's obviously a huge positive, but this is just one of the opposition players he's up against:

Richard Taylor, centre half for my adopted team St Mirren, who has played in 21 of their 33 games so far (so not just on the fringes of the team). Waterford fans may remember him as the guy who hardly set the world alight down there just 18 months ago.

It's still good for Idah as he gets the game time and goals are always welcome, but I don't think it's a club and league where we'd be able to gauge whether Kelleher was improving.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    CK seems like a chap who wants to be contending for trophies, so I cannot see him being too interested in a mid table PL team. Wonder if he will have his agent test interest from top continental teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Good for Idah in that he's playing and scoring and that's obviously a huge positive,
    Oh sure - but Kelleher is way ahead of where Idah is at, hence using him as a comparison. I agree with you it wouldn't be great for Kelleher

I suppose an obvious option for Kelleher now might be... Southampton? (If they go up I guess)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    748 Posts
    Yes, a perfect fit for Russell Martin's Southampton if they get promoted. Exactly the kind of player they'd buy, only question is whether he'd have offers from higher up the league (or higher up an equivalent European league).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    O'Leary is overdue a cap anyway. There will be a number of keepers at the Euros that he's better than and yet he has been fourth choice, outside of most squads and unable to get a cap for us.
    O'Leary looks very capable. Despite Bristol City being a bang average Championship side (currently 12th) his season stat of 46 conceded is impressive. Only Leicester, Leeds and West Brom have better. Bazuno is now injured and Kelleher's prolonged cameo has come to a less than exciting end. Sometimes the hyped "battle" between them was more akin to two bald men squabbling over a comb.

I believe one of our least appreciated players of recent times was Darren Randolph. Despite accusations of being a modern-game incompetent, I cannot remember him ever letting Ireland down over 50 caps.
    Anois teacht an Earraigh / Beidh an lá dúl chun shíneadh,
    Is tar eis na féil Bríde / Ardóigh mé mo sheol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Randolph was never anything less than solid alright. His playing out from the back wasn't the greatest and it cost us in Helsinki. Nothing else stands out I think

O'Leary has really only been an option since last year. A late bloomer. He's 27 now and has played more games for league teams in the past two seasons than he had in his entire career up to that point

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,691 Posts
    His playing out from the back wasn't the greatest and it cost us in Helsinki.
    Wasn't that an intercepted throw?

Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    I believe one of our least appreciated players of recent times was Darren Randolph. Despite accusations of being a modern-game incompetent, I cannot remember him ever letting Ireland down over 50 caps.
    And Forde before him too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Wasn't that an intercepted throw?
    Week kick out I think, though you can't fully tell from the highlights cos it was showing a replay at the time and missed Randolph's involvement. I think they'd just had a shot wide though, so he was playing a short goal kick out (though in my mind he had the ball in open play, which doesn't seem to have been the case)

22. Thanks From:

Page 81 of 81 FirstFirst ... 3171798081