847 Posts
    Capital, Paul. Capital contribution from you there,

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    He's just been absolutely hung out to dry by his defence for at least two of the goals from what I can see.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Has saved a penalty as it finished 5-4 in the shootout. He won't be happy to concede 5 but I couldn't blame him for any of them.

A decent night at the office.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    The only goal I’d say he could have done better on was the second. Ultimately it was one of those whacky games where no goalkeeper would come out looking good.

It’s good that Liverpool advances & he can get more game time in that competition but I’m not sure it will make Mick any more inclined to select him if required.

7. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Looked worryingly tentative, always seeming to be back on his line. Decent save on four minutes only for things to go downhill immediately from the rebound, could have maybe parried it to the right, but with the original shot being low and close to his body, there was always the possibility of it coming off his wrist. Poor decision to flap at the defensive deflection for the second instead of leaving it go out. Fourth goal was down to Milner's poor backpass but the Arsenal forward was always going to get there first so he shouldn't have treated it as a backpass and kick it clear - rather he should have led with his hands and smothered it. Still looks quite small compared to the Arsenal keeper

That said, it was a great penalty save which will hopefully give him the confidence all 'keepers need. He was very good with the ball at his feet. And Klopp seems to like him, giving him a big ole hug at the end. Hopefully he keeps his place for the quarter-finals and has a better game overall

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Klopp suggesting Liverpool might pull out of tournament because they’re scheduled to play in Club World Cup same week as Carabao QF. Hopefully just a way of negotiating an appropriate fixture rescheduling.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Klopp suggesting Liverpool might pull out of tournament because they’re scheduled to play in Club World Cup same week as Carabao QF. Hopefully just a way of negotiating an appropriate fixture rescheduling.
    No need to be doing a Man Utd on things .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Has saved a penalty as it finished 5-4 in the shootout. He won't be happy to concede 5 but I couldn't blame him for any of them.

A decent night at the office.
    The penalty save made it a special night for him but he was very poor for the first two goals I felt. He's nowhere near ready in my opinion, I think the fact that he's at a big club is clouding the reality of where he's actually at. Obviously he's young and has a lot of potential but he has a serious amount of developing to do. It was a very good save from the penalty though and he spoke well afterwards.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 31/10/2019 at 9:02 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    It’s good that Liverpool advances & he can get more game time in that competition but I’m not sure it will make Mick any more inclined to select him if required.
    And rightly so. We've at least three (probably four) better options than him at the moment.

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    The penalty save made it a special night for him but he was very poor for the first two goals I felt. He's nowhere near ready in my opinion, I think the fact that he's at a big club is clouding the reality of where he's actually at. Obviously he's young and has a lot of potential but he has a serious amount of developing to do. It was a very good save from the penalty though and he spoke well afterwards.
    He's only 20 so he can't be expected to be ready. Next season he needs a good championship loan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    He's only 20 so he can't be expected to be ready. Next season he needs a good championship loan.
    Would prefer if he pushed for a January loan and some first team football, even in League One.

The single biggest issue a goalkeeper can have, is a lack of proper regular game time. If he got 6 months on loan at a Championship or League One side as first choice, you could see a huge improvement in his game.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Great shot of the save

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Of course. I've just been unimpressed so far, mainly because of his performances in Toulon. On that evidence I don't think he's ready for a good Championship loan move either. I'd say it could be more like a Kieran O'Hara situation if he wants regular game time, basically dropping to League 1 or League 2.

(only saw Nigel's post now - I'd go along with that, the sooner he's playing regularly the better).
    Last edited by DeLorean; 31/10/2019 at 12:01 PM.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    One thing that is encouraging is that he's one of the most comfortable goalkeepers I've ever seen with the ball at his feet. Great attribute with so many teams wanting ball-playing 'keepers.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    I'd be surprised if Liverpool let him out on loan in January. I think it's more likely they'll bring Grabara back next summer and let Kelleher go out on loan.

As for last night, the second goal is the only one you could really criticise him for. With the first goal, all three of arsenal's attackers were offside and only got to the ball because they were in that position.

He's plenty young and has plenty of time to improve. Hopefully, Liverpool will continue in that cup and he'll get some more exposure.

Right now, from an international perspective, he's well down the pecking order but if you were imagining 5 years down the road, I think himself and Travers would be the most likely first choice keepers for Ireland.

I think I would go:

1) Randolph

2) Westwood

3) McDermott
    4) Travers
    5) Talbot
    6) Elliott

7) O'Hara
    8) O'Leary
    9) Kelleher

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Sure he is only a Gasür yet .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    A lot of mention of him converting in his teens from an outfield player to goals and that is still evident in his reactions - ie natural tendency to lead with his feet. And that's what his performance against Arsenal felt like - an outfield player in goals. He couldn't do much with a couple of goals Arsenal scored but he has to take ownership for the first two and those goals set the tone for the rest of the game. Agree with previous comments about the need for a loan move - he really needs it to speed up his development because in my mind I'd question if he is good enough to have a career as a professional goalkeeper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    They've decided on the 17th December, the day before Liverpool play their World Club Cup semi final in Qatar (at the request of the club I believe).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Yes, he’s guaranteed to play league cup, as Liverpool fielding two different teams. It would be great if Kelleher got some more game time once Liverpool are guaranteed qualification from their champs league group. It’s impressive how much Liverpool rate him. I would hope they’ll put kelleher in for the dead rubbers ahead of their stop gap journeyman.

Also, has been linked to PNE, which would be an excellent move. They are in dire need of strengthening their goalkeeper position and have no funds to do so. Would be strange (and risky) for them to put their faith in an untested 20 year old though. I’m sure there will be plenty of additional options for kelleher. He needs to go out on loan in January without question, not least to stay ahead of Grabara who’s doing okay at Huddersfield and is same age

Page 1 of 78 1231151 ... LastLast