Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 78 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Caoimhín Kelleher GK Liverpool b.1998

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    With Alisson's suspension, back on the bench for the Merseyside Derby: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50568387

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Starts today for Liverpool. I'd say he'll need to be good.

It's ridiculous that Liverpool have to play two games in 24 hours and will be fielding this side. It's literally their reserve team, minus 7 of their 10 best players due to a load of injuries and lads away.

RB - Neco Williams - Qatar
    CB - Billy Kometio - injured
    LB/CM - Adam Lewis - injured
    CM/WG - Curtis Jones - Qatar
    LB/WG - Yasser Larouci - injured
    WG/ST - Rhian Brewster - injured
    ST - Paul Glatzel - injured

The midfield (Chirivella, Kane, Christie-Davies) is championship / league 1 level. Then, the likes of Boyes and Gallacher have looked out of their depth at reserve level. Young Hill has just turned 17 and has barely broken into the U18 side, let alone the reserves. The best players are Hoever and Elliott but they are 17 and 16, so to expect them to lead a side to glory is asking way too much. There’s also a few decent 16/17 year olds on the bench (Stewart, Norris, Clarkson, Dixon-Bonner) but could be an absolute rout...

Hopefully i'm wrong an Caoimh will keep a clean sheet...
    Last edited by elatedscum; 17/12/2019 at 7:41 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Didn't cover himself in glory for either goal so far.

I don't think I've been impressed by him in any game I've seen.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    I do wonder what it is about Kelleher that has got him to this level, because I've seen him play at least half a dozen times now and I've yet to be impressed with any of his appearances. He's everything I don't like in a keeper, not a big commanding type, never seems to save anything and always looks like he has a mistake in him.

I know his footballing skills are decent, but whenever I watch him it always feels a bit like you're watching an outfield player having to go in goal because the team have run out of subs. I'd say Preston will steer clear now if the rumours of their interest were true. If I was involved at Preston I'd actually look at Travers instead of Kelleher, he would be much more suited to the rough and tumble of the championship.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Didn’t have any chance for goals 2, 3 and 4. First goal he should have saved although it wasn't straight forward. It’s always v difficult for the goalie with the striker in front getting the faintest of touches from an in swinger, he had to wait until last second to dive in case he got a better touch, but he should have saved it as you always ensure the most likely scenario (unaltered ball path) is covered.

On the whole, he’s been hung out to dry a little by Klopp. There are many senior squad players who should be playing and join Qatar if they make it to final. He’s been okay for our 21s. He has good attributes for a keeper and is excellent with ball at feet which is all the vogue these days. Their back line is awful. De Berg has been awful at senior level thus far.

He simply needs first team games at any level from January. Much too early to be making an assessment on Caomhin. Let’s see where he is next summer.

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    I'd say Preston will steer clear now if the rumours of their interest were true. If I was involved at Preston I'd actually look at Travers instead of Kelleher, he would be much more suited to the rough and tumble of the championship.
    Reportedly Preston pulled out of any deal last weekend. They will probably persist with Rudd, after coming into some form. But agree, Travers has always impressed me and has a number of senior (albeit low level) games under his belt. He would be an excellent loan signing for any club outside the premier League. Sadly, no news on anything brewing yet. Howe did state last month that they will consider sending Travers out on loan in January depending on what happened in coming weeks. Ramsdale is firmly their number 1. So I’d expect Howe will let him out on loan with Boruc in reserve
    Last edited by tommy_c12000; 17/12/2019 at 8:46 PM.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Didn’t have any chance for goals 2, 3 and 4. First goal he should have saved although it wasn't straight forward. It’s always v difficult for the goalie with the striker in front getting the faintest of touches from an in swinger, he had to wait until last second to dive in case he got a better touch, but he should have saved it as you always ensure the most likely scenario (unaltered ball path) is covered.

On the whole, he’s been hung out to dry a little by Klopp. There are many senior squad players who should be playing and join Qatar if they make it to final. He’s been okay for our 21s. He has good attributes for a keeper and is excellent with ball at feet which is all the vogue these days. Their back line is awful. De Berg has been awful at senior level thus far.

He simply needs first team games at any level from January. Much too early to be making an assessment on Caomhin. Let’s see where he is next summer.
    From the Guardian match report:
    Most of Liverpool’s youngsters could take heart from their performances, too. Even the goalkeeper Caoimhin Kelleher impressed despite being beaten by two soft goals early on.

And one of the Guardian Picks in the comments has the line:
    Man of the match? Probably a toss up between Harvey Elliot, Kelleher, or the 4,000 travelling fans.

Sounds like he did pretty ok anyway. (I half-watched the first half. Liked when he came racing from his box and controlled a difficult ball to clear danger) Didn't see the second half.

10. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    He has a long way to go to become a top goalkeeper but who , at his age doesn't ? Its really a case of maybe he will make a good goalkeeper or maybe he won't .
    Last edited by seanfhear; 18/12/2019 at 11:09 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Not a fan. A loan move would help to mature his development (realistically thinking non-league). And not sure he is that good with the ball at his feet? Seems he is trying to project an air of confidence but it all feels casual, lackadaisical and iffy on back passes. His distribution from feet has room for improvement. Certainly felt his clearances were on the wayward side.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Is on his way to Qatar today to help Liverpool win the world club championship thing to add to his Champions League and Super Cup winners medals.

On course to become the most decorated Irish footballer in history at this rate. Might even get a run as part of their Premier league winning squad before the end of the season given how far ahead Liverpool are in the table.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    You'd imagine Liverpool would have to lose a game first before he's risked. Otherwise, they'd surely have half an eye on an Invincibles season at this stage.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Not a fan. A loan move would help to mature his development (realistically thinking non-league). And not sure he is that good with the ball at his feet? Seems he is trying to project an air of confidence but it all feels casual, lackadaisical and iffy on back passes. His distribution from feet has room for improvement. Certainly felt his clearances were on the wayward side.
    Non-league? Wow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Non-league? Wow.
    Not uncommon to do so. And he should already have that experience. And if he wants first-team football, he is going to have to drop down the divisions. Kelleher is on the books of Liverpool but he doesn't have a proven pedigree to promote himself beyond his current club address. Doubtful in my mind a Championship level club would offer an untested keeper like him first-team loan experience but I'm sure I'll be proven wrong in time.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    From the Guardian match report:
    Most of Liverpool’s youngsters could take heart from their performances, too. Even the goalkeeper Caoimhin Kelleher impressed despite being beaten by two soft goals early on.

And one of the Guardian Picks in the comments has the line:
    Man of the match? Probably a toss up between Harvey Elliot, Kelleher, or the 4,000 travelling fans.

Sounds like he did pretty ok anyway. (I half-watched the first half. Liked when he came racing from his box and controlled a difficult ball to clear danger) Didn't see the second half.
    The second half was his better half, he made 3 or 4 good saves.

Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Not uncommon to do so. And he should already have that experience. And if he wants first-team football, he is going to have to drop down the divisions. Kelleher is on the books of Liverpool but he doesn't have a proven pedigree to promote himself beyond his current club address. Doubtful in my mind a Championship level club would offer an untested keeper like him first-team loan experience but I'm sure I'll be proven wrong in time.
    For some point of reference, Grabara who at Liverpool would be considered behind Kelleher went on loan to the Danish top division in January, played 16 games there and then this summer went on loan to Huddersfield where he's played 20 games so far this season. I would have thought League 1 would be about where he's at.

Danny Ward who is now Leicester and Wales' No.2 by contrast went down the following path:

League 2 loan in January of age 21 season (where Kelleher is now)
    SPL loan age 22
    Championship loan age 23
    Liverpool 3rd choice age 24
    Sold to Leicester age 25

He went to Leicester cause Leicester believed that Chelsea were gonna spend big money on Schmichel to replace Courtois and he'd be No.1 there. Instead they bought Kepa and he's hung around as second choice... Life as a keeper can be tough...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    He has a bit about him. But he has a long way to go.

He's suspect in a one-on-one situation. I think that much is unclear to an untrained eye. Has an awful tendency to go with feet rather than hands for the ball from any sort of close range. He can only improve in that regard though.

Shot-stopping is a big attribute of his. I'd say there's not many better out there in his age group from what I can see.

He's comfortable with the ball to feet, but for a player who played much of his underage football at centre-forward, you'd expect that much from him. However, place kicking is a different game. Kick-outs and free kicks are very different. I say this as someone who also played my underage football as a winger who took most set-pieces but ended up a goalkeeper when I turned 18. Those will come with time, and a bit of experience.

I think he could nab himself a 6 month loan at League One level, maybe League Two. Anything lower than that is a total waste of time for his development, if he harbours any serious top level ambitions.

He is probably behind Travers overall, but from what I can see of both, they're two different types of goalkeeper. Kelleher is a Ederson type modern sweeper-goalkeeper, where Travers is the traditional big stopper. It's great from an Irish perspective to have those two options coming through along with Bazunu, Maher and the other talented young goalkeepers coming through at youth level.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    He has a bit about him. But he has a long way to go.

He's suspect in a one-on-one situation. I think that much is unclear to an untrained eye. Has an awful tendency to go with feet rather than hands for the ball from any sort of close range. He can only improve in that regard though
    Good point and made many times by observers. Case in point was goal 5 last night. Attributed to his late conversion to a keeper at 15. I was cringing at the time, but this got me thinking.

There’s no doubt about his long- and medium-range shot stopping ability. It’s very impressive.

Is it such a bad thing to instinctively lead with legs at close range? Yes, by convention one expects the keepers to spread their legs somewhat, make themselves big and spread their arms. This is the orthodox training and expectation. But spreading your legs completely has advantages:
    1. Wider “wing” span - more chance of saving the placed corner shots
    2. Lower to the ground to reduce the nutmeg finish so many strikers thrive on. Reviewing the replay of 5th goal last night, I don’t believe a nutmeg was possible. This is anatomically not possible if you lead properly with the arms unless you work at a circus.
    Yes, the arms give you a wider range in the “up down” plane. But is there evidence that convention is better than the way of Caomhin is doing it at close range? This surely has been studied before? He’s 6 years training as a goalkeeper (vast majority at Liverpool), you’d imagine that this would have been stamped out of him by now if it was a hard no in his future.

Maybe I’m making an interesting talking point, or maybe it’s this wine talking at my Christmas party. What do people think?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Here’s my read on him. He’s got great reflexes, is mobile, anticipates through balls & long balls over the top/behind the defense. His major weakness as far as I can see it is positioning. He overcommits a lot — but other times stays back too deep in his goal. There was no need for him to be so close to the near post for the first goal (deflection). He was correct to be leaning near post but committed too extremely. It had an element of fortune to it with the deflection but he left himself vulnerable.

Does he just have a bad positional sense naturally or can that come with time? His footballing ability means Liverpool will give him every chance to round out the fundamental issues in his game because he could be a great modern style sweeper keeper if he continues to progress.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Good point and made many times by observers. Case in point was goal 5 last night. Attributed to his late conversion to a keeper at 15. I was cringing at the time, but this got me thinking.

There’s no doubt about his long- and medium-range shot stopping ability. It’s very impressive.

Is it such a bad thing to instinctively lead with legs at close range? Yes, by convention one expects the keepers to spread their legs somewhat, make themselves big and spread their arms. This is the orthodox training and expectation. But spreading your legs completely has advantages:
    1. Wider “wing” span - more chance of saving the placed corner shots
    2. Lower to the ground to reduce the nutmeg finish so many strikers thrive on. Reviewing the replay of 5th goal last night, I don’t believe a nutmeg was possible. This is anatomically not possible if you lead properly with the arms unless you work at a circus.
    Yes, the arms give you a wider range in the “up down” plane. But is there evidence that convention is better than the way of Caomhin is doing it at close range? This surely has been studied before? He’s 6 years training as a goalkeeper (vast majority at Liverpool), you’d imagine that this would have been stamped out of him by now if it was a hard no in his future.

Maybe I’m making an interesting talking point, or maybe it’s this wine talking at my Christmas party. What do people think?
    David De Gea is the only keeper who springs to mind who saves with his feet way more often than average in similar situations and he's probably the best shot shopper there has been over the last decade. So I guess you can build a style there but maybe that ability is what makes De Gea so special and it's nearly impossible to be mimic. Will be interesting to see how Kelleher develops as his body develops. He's bulked up a little over the last few months but he still doesn't really have a man's frame yet if you know what I mean... Some of his decision making stuff seems to be influenced by not being strong enough yet for the highest level (for example, his decision to often use his fingertips to deal with dangerous crosses rather than a solid punch)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Here’s my read on him. He’s got great reflexes, is mobile, anticipates through balls & long balls over the top/behind the defense. His major weakness as far as I can see it is positioning. He overcommits a lot — but other times stays back too deep in his goal. There was no need for him to be so close to the near post for the first goal (deflection). He was correct to be leaning near post but committed too extremely. It had an element of fortune to it with the deflection but he left himself vulnerable.

Does he just have a bad positional sense naturally or can that come with time? His footballing ability means Liverpool will give him every chance to round out the fundamental issues in his game because he could be a great modern style sweeper keeper if he continues to progress.
    I think he managed both of those for the third goal - he should have been patrolling the edge of his six-yard box when the ball was played through - instead he was close to his line, then he had to race out but didn't really have a chance to get himself set and Kodjia had a clear sight of goal to Kelleher's left that he was able to pick out comfortably.

Your point about his positioning is interesting too - I noticed in the Arsenal game that he guarded his near post like an ice hockey goalie, clinging to it as if to prevent the puck squeezing through under his elbow. As a football 'keeper he should allow a little space so he can cover shots to the far post and crosses - for the second goal, Elmohamedy was close to the byline that being as close to the near post as Kelleher was positioned wasn't really necessary - if he had been a step closer to the middle of the goal, he might have had a chance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts

Not a particularly hard shot, he had set himself up well, but took the decision to throw his leg at it rather than dive at it. Maybe I'm being harsh, but I think he took a poor option and made it look like someone on astro five a side in goal..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Page 2 of 78 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast