And played them well, very well...

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    And played them well, very well...
    Hes a lot better than I thought he was a year ago, still think hes a bit small but he looks excellent

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Trying to display the image but can't store so my reply might not make sense
    https://m.sundayworld.com/sport/socc...-40518355.html

Small you say(kelleher)?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Hes a lot better than I thought he was a year ago, still think hes a bit small but he looks excellent
    I think he should go out on loan. But just to play devil's advocate, he has definitely improved a lot in the last year. If you compare his 20/21 performances for Liverpool to those in 19/20 in the EFL and FA cups, he improved significantly. He showed similar levels of improvement for Ireland, looking better against Hungary than he did in some of his under 21 games.

Could he be improving enough at Liverpool for now? Goalkeepers have a long career. Could he improve plenty at Liverpool this season again and would that be best for him? Or, as Ireland supporters, are we the selfish ones (not Klopp) that want him to get into a Championship team or top flight European side and establish himself as our number one in doing so?

Just asking the questions. I still think I'd rather he move on for a season on loan. Also, there are questions on him under the high ball that haven't been answered in his recent games for Ireland and Liverpool that are, for me, helpful in mapping his improvement levels.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Both Kelleher and Bazunu are 6 foot 2 inches, which is a fairly good height for a keeper. Anything 6 foot 1 and over is generally fine. Travers is 6 foot 3, Randolph is 6 foot 2, not much between any of them, but you probably notice the extra inch Travers has when it comes to penalty shootouts.

Christy Pym, who is apparently Irish eligible and interested is "only" 6 foot. He'll probably be the smallest keeper in the Championship next season with Peterborough. He's right on the line for what is generally workable for a pro keeper in terms of height.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Both Kelleher and Bazunu are 6 foot 2 inches, which is a fairly good height for a keeper. Anything 6 foot 1 and over is generally fine. Travers is 6 foot 3, Randolph is 6 foot 2, not much between any of them, but you probably notice the extra inch Travers has when it comes to penalty shootouts.
    Travers reach you mean is much greater? Does it help him for penos ?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Given was six foot, but it was usually noted that he was short for a goalkeeper
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    The Old Saying ~ Never fall in love with a small goalkeeper.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Travers reach you mean is much greater? Does it help him for penos ?
    Travers has an excellent record in shootouts - saved all of the opposition penalties in one a couple of years ago if I remember correctly. I think a lot of goalkeeping is down to positional sense, awareness, reading the game etc, so a smaller keeper can sometimes be better in general play if they have the right attributes. In shootouts though, size is much more important, the more of the goal you can cover the harder it is for the opponent to score.

Travers probably doesn't have quite the same potential as the other two, but he's the kind of player you'd take to a finals tournament as a third keeper and genuinely consider throwing on in the last few minutes if it's looking like going to pens.

Shay was just over 6 foot, not quite 6 foot 1. It didn't stop him from making it at a very high level, but I always felt it stopped him from taking the next step on from Newcastle to a regular Champions League team.
    Last edited by Eirambler; 11/06/2021 at 12:05 PM.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    Liverpool will need to sign another keeper along with resigning Adrian if Kelleher is to be loaned out.

Grabara is back from a loan spell in Denmark (he had spent the previous season at Huddersfield), same age as Kelleher but looks like Kelleher has moved above him in the pecking order. Have a feeling Liverpool will sell him though, leaving only Alisson, Kelleher and Adrian as the 3 options. There is no standout option at youth or under 23 level who will make the jump to senior (despite Liverpool having a ridiculous number of keepers on their books).

Adrian is firmly 3rd choice aswell now, when he has filled in for Alisson liverpool have suffered for it.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Travers has an excellent record in shootouts - saved all of the opposition penalties in one a couple of years ago if I remember correctly. I think a lot of goalkeeping is down to positional sense, awareness, reading the game etc, so a smaller keeper can sometimes be better in general play if they have the right attributes. In shootouts though, size is much more important, the more of the goal you can cover the harder it is for the opponent to score.
    Ya all fairly logical and sensible. Given was brutal really at penos, what annoyed me was how he talked himself up, a bit like Paddy harrington after 2008.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    The Old Saying ~ Never fall in love with a small goalkeeper.

Better to have loved and lost a short keeper than never to have loved a tall.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

14. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    Better to have loved and lost a short keeper than never to have loved a tall.
    He needs to be gorgeous though !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    New long term contract for Kelleher at Liverpool: https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/fir...pool-contract#
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

17. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Not to be crass, but what are we talking about here circa 22k a week ?

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    I'd imagine a loan might be back on as an option for him now, considering himself and Adrian have both signed new deals. Hardly any point keeping both of them on the bench, if they really want him to be second choice they can put in a recall clause in the event Alisson gets injured.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    I'd imagine a loan might be back on as an option for him now, considering himself and Adrian have both signed new deals. Hardly any point keeping both of them on the bench, if they really want him to be second choice they can put in a recall clause in the event Alisson gets injured.
    He’s not going on loan.

He’s 2nd choice so if anyone is being sent out it’s Adrian.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Clubs like Liverpool generally will have three keepers on the go. Unless one of the younger keepers comes back to cover Adrian, Kelleher will be staying put. I'd like to see him get a Premier League loan but doesn't seem too likely.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    156 Posts
    Caoimhín declares himself fit to play against Mainz on Friday evening, having recovered from a slight knock (www.liverpoolfc.com 22July)

23. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Kelleher to start this weekend as Brazilian players are not allowed to play after not being released for international duty.

25. Thanks From:

Page 15 of 78 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast