Page 24 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Thread: Caoimhín Kelleher GK Liverpool b.1998

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Not supposition - opinion. Your comeback comments are reasonable - if mean spirited to Randolph who, despite an underwhelming club career, was rarely less than solid for Ireland over 50 caps.
    True Randolph never let us down, but he was an adequate rather than an outstanding international goalkeeper. Take your point about opinion rather than supposition, still think Kelleher and Bazunu will have PL careers ultimately.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot
    Of course it was. Straight at him from distance - and it goes in over his head. Shouldn't happen.
    Well when you watch the replays, you know why it did happen. He had no chance at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    …and only a couple of days later saved a pen from Salah who hadn’t missed in ages. Also saved a pen from Kane in Euros semi final. How often does Kane miss pens?

The teenage Irish keeper playing in a rubbish league saved a pen - during an actual match against a tier 1 international team, rather than a shoot out - from one of the world’s best ever players and a wholly reliable penalty taker.
    Well done for that. Unfortunately he couldn't keep him out all night long, and the game was lost anyway. So the penalty save was a mere footnote in the game, rather than the saves that made the difference, as in Kelleher's case.

As for the rest, well none of it has any relevance to Kelleher whatsoever.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    As I said above, it's clear you're not arguing in good faith. If you are, then I'm worried for you.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    A penalty save only reflects well on a keeper if his side subsequently wins the match?

Right you are so

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Kelleher is 4 years older than Bazunu and has never played any sort of regular 1st team football. If Bazunu has 1 or 2 seasons on the bench at City it wouldn't be the end of the world, but if at 23 or 24 hes still a bench warmer I'd be worried.

There's only 2 years difference in the age gap between Kelleher and Allison and Kelleher and Bazunu. Allison is still a young goalkeeper so unless Liverpool are going to cash in on him any time soon Kelleher is gonna have to move on.

In the States its not uncommon for a new Quaterback to sit on the bench for a year behind an experienced guy to learn the ropes, but if by year 2 or 3 they aren't ready to take over they have to move and it's unlikely they'll get a starter spot elsewhere because competition is so fierce. Kelleher isn't a kid anymore, he needs to show he can be the main man somewhere.

I know he hasn't been the official number 2 for all the years he's been there but he has been training the the top coaches and great goalkeeper for years now. This is the excuse many are making for why he should stay, but again I ask the question, stay until when?

At 26 is it still good enough for him to be number 2 to 32 year old Allison? Who knows, by then Liverpool might have churned out 3 more brilliant young keepers.

My opinion is that at the end of this season if he's not looking to move on to play at least on loan he is just comfortable with a paycheck and doesn't have the drive to be a top class keeper anyway

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Interestingly Allison was 25 before he became number 1 at Roma. Didn’t do him a great deal of harm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Interestingly Allison was 25 before he became number 1 at Roma. Didn’t do him a great deal of harm.
    He had 80 appearances at Internacional before that...

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg
    Kelleher is 4 years older than Bazunu and has never played any sort of regular 1st team football. If Bazunu has 1 or 2 seasons on the bench at City it wouldn't be the end of the world, but if at 23 or 24 hes still a bench warmer I'd be worried.

There's only 2 years difference in the age gap between Kelleher and Allison and Kelleher and Bazunu. Allison is still a young goalkeeper so unless Liverpool are going to cash in on him any time soon Kelleher is gonna have to move on.

I know he hasn't been the official number 2 for all the years he's been there but he has been training the the top coaches and great goalkeeper for years now. This is the excuse many are making for why he should stay, but again I ask the question, stay until when?

At 26 is it still good enough for him to be number 2 to 32 year old Allison? Who knows, by then Liverpool might have churned out 3 more brilliant young keepers.

My opinion is that at the end of this season if he's not looking to move on to play at least on loan he is just comfortable with a paycheck and doesn't have the drive to be a top class keeper anyway
    He's made his decision to stay. You have to respect that. He's well aware of the knock on effects on his international career, but he didn't lose the Ireland shirt because he was a No. 2. He lost it because he was injured at the time the decision was made by Kenny. How did he get injured? After playing a senior team game.

He hasn't decided to move. He is 3 games away from a League Cup winners medal at Wembley. Hopefully he will be rewarded for his patience and get a decent amount of games this month. He should if Allison is out and the No. 3 is still injured.

I have no problem with Bazunu wanting to play every week. I have a problem with a keeper at a L1 club bring considered good enough to be the No. 1 keeper for his country, when there are other options at a higher level available.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Travers is the only one playing at a higher level than Bazunu for now, Kelleher doesn't play. It's not like Bazunu is cast away to L1 either cos he's crap, he's a 19 year old at one of biggest clubs in world, sent out to get some experience and it's going brilliantly.

And my point wasnt about Kelleher 1st choice for Ireland it was about him improving as a player. He needs to play for that to happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Question: who will play more games - Kelleher for Liverpool, or Bazunu for Manchester City?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Most likely neither will play a whole lot for either club, but right now I think Bazunu is and will be a better goalkeeper considering he is 4 years younger and already has far more experience

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Question: who will play more games - Kelleher for Liverpool, or Bazunu for Manchester City?
    well when you have people discounting games that kelleher actually plays for liverpool you'd have to say they'll both end on 0

14. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    well when you have people discounting games that kelleher actually plays for liverpool you'd have to say they'll both end on 0
    Nobody is discounting games. Games are the whole point. A handful of them when Liverpool usually aren't worried about the result is not enough to develop as a player or tell us or the international coaching staff much about what he can do when it counts. Watching football is a poor substitute for playing it imop. If any coaches disagree I'd love to hear the rationale. He is still #2 for Ireland based on his current situation so it's not a terrible decision. He might even be #1 if not for his unlucky tendency to pick up injuries when needed.

People aren't even saying Kelleher is a bad keeper. They are saying he made a bad call by warming the bench behind arguably the best keeper in the world. The point is made that he leapfrogged the other options...but they proved themselves unreliable. They are also still paid by Liverpool right? So there's a wage bill to balance there and Kelleher is potentially just a solid option on a low wage. There's at least as big a chance Liverpool replace Alisson with another experienced keeper and Kelleher then needs to find an EPL club willing to sign a guy who hasn't been tested over a season of men's football yet at all. They will have plenty of other options. It's not a position you sign someone to bring on for 15 mins to see if he's ready. You buy out of the box reliability. All the top EPL clubs went out to get keepers that made an immediate impact.

Liverpool fans and the anti Kenny brigade disagree for their own reasons but I'd say you'd be hard pressed to find a majority of neutrals who:

A - think warming the bench at 23 is good enough experience to be automatic #1 at international level when we have options being tested week in week out.

B - agree that Bazunu isn't doing very well at club and international level and progressing at what Kelleher should view as an alarming rate if he really wants the Irish jersey. Pointing to the few errors is the usual argument against him but I'd personally rather see a 19 year learn from his own mistakes than a 23 year old having to simulate the mistakes of others in his head to learn from them. Travers has arguably come on even more and he's also out there making mistakes and learning the job.

Hopefully Kelleher gets a good run of games soon and shows everyone what he can do. For now he's been a very able deputy at both levels but we all want more from him.
    Last edited by ontheotherhand; 02/01/2022 at 11:13 AM.

16. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Starting today against Chelsea by the looks of it. Great opportunity for him. He's about the same age as Alisson was when he took over from Dida at Internacional.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Nobody is discounting games. Games are the whole point. A handful of them when Liverpool usually don't care about the result is not enough to develop as a player or tell us or the international coaching staff much about what he can do when it counts. Watching football is a poor substitute for playing it imop. If any coaches disagree I'd love to hear the rationale. He is still #2 for Ireland based on his current situation so it's not a terrible decision. He might even be #1 if not for his tendency to pick up injuries when needed.

People aren't even saying Kelleher is a bad keeper. They are saying he made a bad call by warming the bench behind arguably the best keeper in the world. People are saying he leapfrogged the other options...but they proved themselves unreliable. They are also still paid by Liverpool right? So there's a wage bill to balance there and Kelleher is potentially just a solid option on a low wage. There's at least as big a chance Liverpool replace Alisson with another experienced keeper and Kelleher then needs to find an EPL club willing to sign a guy who hasn't been tested over a season of men's football yet at all. They will have plenty of other options. It's not a position you sign someone to bring on for 15 mins to see if he's ready. You buy out of the box reliability. All the top EPL clubs went out to get keepers that made an immediate impact.

Liverpool fans and the anti Kenny brigade disagree for their own reasons but Id say you'd be hard pressed to find a majority of neutrals who:

A - think warming the bench at 23 is good enough experience to be automatic #1 at international level when we have options being tested week in week out.

B - agree that Bazunu isn't doing very well at club and international level and progressing at what Kelleher should view as an alarming rate if he really wants the Irish jersey. Pointing to the few errors is the usual argument against him but I'd personally rather see a 19 year learn from his own mistakes than a 23 year old having to simulate the mistakes of others in his head to learn from them. Travers has arguably come on even more and he's also out there making mistakes and learning the job.

Hopefully Kelleher gets a good run of games soon and shows everyone what he can do. For now he's an able deputy at both levels.

How can you say a 23 year old made a bad call by signing a contract with one of the best teams on the planet to be their no2?? hes clearly highly rated enough to be given a deal there. Context is very important, the keepers closest in age to CK are Meisler (2000) Ramsdale (1998) and Sanchez (97) are GKs starting with their clubs as no1. Playing constantly at the highest level as a GK is very rare when you are u26. im NOT suggesting he is some world class GK nor am I suggesting Bazunu is either. People need to park ****ting on a 23 year old Liverpool no2 though. No reason he cant be a very good keeper if he moves on in time to come. I dont see any advantage of him playing with a L1 team right now over being Allisons deputy.

on a) It was good enough for Randolph? he barely played for West Ham in 15/16 , the same summer we were in the euros.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    It's a bad call in terms of his international career right now which is presumably what this thread is about? You could also argue it's bad for his club career as if he is really almost as good as Alisson he'd be starting almost anywhere else on a bigger wage. I've said before that his decision might turn out great. It might also end up with him warming the bench for another 2 or 3 seasons while other options improve at Liverpool and for Ireland. He is 23 and has lost the Irish jersey to a 19 year old. If he was undisputed #1 at any club in the EPL or even Championship for the past season or two then Bazunu would have only been filling in for him briefly before returning the jersey.

But nobody is ****ting on Kelleher either. It's the Kelleher/Liverpool supporters who seem to want to **** on all the other options from what I can see.

Most people want all our options playing football.

#2 at Liverpool is better than being #2 at Lincoln but it's still #2. Let's hope he gets a run of games now and puts any doubts to rest.
    Last edited by ontheotherhand; 02/01/2022 at 11:19 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Nobody is discounting games.
    Actually...

Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    By that logic, we have a keeper who’s with the best premier league team (Man City) who has only played 5 less genuine senior games than Caoimhin at Liverpool (I don’t count the domestic cup games he played in considering the teams that were put out).

21. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Ah I can't read every post stu. I'm trying to start 2022 with some degree of sanity.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    If we're to be picky the original claim was that 'people' were discounting Kelleher's games when it seems to me that ONLY one person wasn't counting ONLY the League Cup games on Kelleher's CV. It's hardly evidence of a sweeping anti-Kelleher/LFC feeling among the masses of plebs who don't understand the mystical properties associated with the bench at Anfield.

All that said I would have rated him highest of the three contenders a year ago and I think a run of games could benefit him. Hopefully he gives a statement against Chelsea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Well that's true. I said I'd flag it though as it was what Jd2793 was referring to, which otoh had missed.

I think if we can all agree it's silly to discount Kelleher's cup games, then we're all good

Page 24 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast