Page 19 of 78 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Thread: Caoimhín Kelleher GK Liverpool b.1998

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,680 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Also, trying to work out who was our last first choice keeper from Dublin before Bazunu?
    Not many. Paddy Roche is a Dubliner but I'm not sure he was a prolonged first choice keeper. Wayne Henderson (2 consecutive caps? Tets?) is also a Dubliner. I think Joe Murphy (capped under Kerr but never a regular) is a Dub.

Among others we've had Colgan (Drogheda), Forde (Galway), Paddy Kenny, Rob Elliott, Dean Kiely, Keiren Westwood, Kelham O'Hanlon and Keith Branagan (all anglo). There was also a guy called Ron Healey back in the early 80s (anglo), capped once or twice only. Gerry Peyton (anglo) played a few times but was always Packie's understudy. Mark Travers is from Kildare.

So basically I think we have to go back to early 70s at least.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Not many. Paddy Roche is a Dubliner but I'm not sure he was a prolonged first choice keeper. Wayne Henderson (2 consecutive caps? Tets?) is also a Dubliner. I think Joe Murphy (capped under Kerr but never a regular) is a Dub.

Among others we've had Colgan (Drogheda), Forde (Galway), Paddy Kenny, Rob Elliott, Dean Kiely, Keiren Westwood, Kelham O'Hanlon and Keith Branagan (all anglo). There was also a guy called Ron Healey back in the early 80s (anglo), capped once or twice only. Gerry Peyton (anglo) played a few times but was always Packie's understudy. Mark Travers is from Kildare.

So basically I think we have to go back to early 70s at least.
    Wikipedia is your friend here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...al_footballers
    Click "Pos" to sort by position and go through the goalkeepers, there's not too many of them
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

4. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Perhaps us playing defensively all these years has been kind to our goalkeepers.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,680 Posts
    Tell that to Paddy Kenny.

7. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Tell that to Paddy Kenny.
    The exception that proves the rule !

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Allisson in quarantine in Spain and will miss the visit to Watford - chance for Kelleher to impress: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/58928165

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Starts today, the eleventh Irish player in the Premier League this season

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Hopefully he does very well today.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

13. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Halftime and it's 83% possession for Liverpool, 7 shots to 0, 7 corners to 0, and even 23 crosses to 0.

Like Tuesday, it's a crap game for a keeper looking to impress.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Not had much to do so far. Ironic cheers when he had to actually make a save. Two handy debuts for him this week, playing for two utterly dominant teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by texidub View Post
    Not had much to do so far. Ironic cheers when he had to actually make a save. Two handy debuts for him this week, playing for two utterly dominant teams.
    Watched from about 70 mins on and he had one very good save where he tipped a close range shot against the post and away.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Pretty good pass completion rate. Had similar numbers against Qatar - completed 20/22(90.91%)
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 16/10/2021 at 3:19 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Probably easy to have a good pass success rate if the opposition are defending deep. I can't imagine Watford had a high press on for example?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    The reality is a game like this can only be a trap for a young goalkeeper. If he goes in, does what’s required, that’s the expectation and he hasn’t done anything exceptional. If he has any error, of any magnitude, he’s going to face harsh criticism.

My takeaway from this match is that Kelleher is maturing. We know he is good with the ball at his feet but today he never messed around. He almost always tried to release the ball with little fuss, especially at 0-0. We all know at this point that he’s a good shot stopper. My main concern has been whether he tries to do too much in possession and whether that would make him a liability at the highest level. I think that has largely been coached out of him as he was decisive and kept it simple when the game was tight. As the scoreline changed and as the nature of the game changed he started to get a bit cuter in possession but that was appropriate based on the scoreline.

His best moment in the match was his save where he pushed the ball onto the post with a great reaction save. The assistant ref ultimately flagged for offside but he didn’t know that at the time.

Bottom line, Liverpool dominated, Kelleher was insignificant in terms of his team actually getting a result, but looked the part when called upon. Like many here I’d like to see him get more minutes, but I think there’s a lot to be said for a guy who steps in for a club as big as Liverpool and looks as steady as he does, especially given how sporadic his appearances are. Clearly a guy who has a lot of confidence and quality.

21. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    I don’t think either Kelleher or Bazunu have any real prospect of becoming first choice at their respective clubs. Not because they are not good enough, but simply because of who is in front of them. As things stand, I suspect Kelleher’s next move could be a transfer rather than a loan. Liverpool don’t want to loan him out, but nor would they stand in the way of a good career move. Bazunu on the other hand could well end up back at City as number 2. Paradoxically, Kelleher could be further ahead in terms of the trajectory of his career, and could, by next season be playing more regularly at a higher level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    I don’t think either Kelleher or Bazunu have any real prospect of becoming first choice at their respective clubs. Not because they are not good enough, but simply because of who is in front of them. As things stand, I suspect Kelleher’s next move could be a transfer rather than a loan. Liverpool don’t want to loan him out, but nor would they stand in the way of a good career move. Bazunu on the other hand could well end up back at City as number 2. Paradoxically, Kelleher could be further ahead in terms of the trajectory of his career, and could, by next season be playing more regularly at a higher level.
    You never know, Brazilian's aren't renowned for staying more than a few seasons at any one European club. Both Allison and Ederson might want new challenges at some point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1 View Post
    You never know, Brazilian's aren't renowned for staying more than a few seasons at any one European club. Both Allison and Ederson might want new challenges at some point.
    Yes, but it would be a big call for Liverpool or City to put their trust in such a young keeper if their main choice left. Not saying they definitely wouldn’t, but you’d imagine the temptation would be for them to go out and spend big. Klopp would probably be the more inclined of the two to give the rookie a chance you’d imagine.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86
    His best moment in the match was his save where he pushed the ball onto the post with a great reaction save. The assistant ref ultimately flagged for offside but he didn’t know that at the time.
    It wasn't offside either. The flag went up for the next phase of play after his save. Fabulous save. Its a pity he can't play more glamorous games, but the fixture list is what it is. All he can do when he's out there is keep clean sheets and play well, it's up then to his manager to notice.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Looks set to miss the league cup game tomorrow due to illness.

The young fella has the worst timing imaginable... He has coincided his injuries with Alison's, meaning he's played about half the games he would have and the same when Randolph was injured for Ireland and Bazunu got in...

27. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Looks set to miss the league cup game tomorrow due to illness.

The young fella has the worst timing imaginable... He has coincided his injuries with Alison's, meaning he's played about half the games he would have and the same when Randolph was injured for Ireland and Bazunu got in...
    OK ~ Who has got the Doll of Kelleher ?

Page 19 of 78 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast