Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 78 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: Caoimhín Kelleher GK Liverpool b.1998

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Loved Klopps reaction to him afterwards. There was genuine happiness for Kelleher in it, not a fake Jose Mourinho do it for the cameras pat on the back.

Elatedscum makes a good point. Is he better off on loan or back up to Allison? Henderson is back up to De Gea at United in a similar situation with obviously a higher profile. I would imagine that if Kelleher has some more performances like tonight there would be a lot of clubs very interested in taking him.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Hopefully he will play the next two games as well and do a reasonable job. This will improve the quality of loan he gets in January. Loan should be priority unless Allison picks up long term injury and Caoimhin has genuine chance of number 1 in Jan

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Hopefully he will play the next two games as well and do a reasonable job. This will improve the quality of loan he gets in January. Loan should be priority unless Allison picks up long term injury and Caoimhin has genuine chance of number 1 in Jan
    Alisson's first season at Liverpool, he played 51 out of 53 games, including all 38 leagues and every champion's league game from the group to the final. Mignolet played 2 games, 1 in the fa cup and 1 in the league cup (they lost both). that's pretty much the worst case scenario for a second choice keeper.

Last season, by contrast, he played 37 games. Adrian played 18 (11 premier league, 3 champion's league, 3 fa cup, 1 other) games and Kelleher played 4 in the league cup (3) and fa cup (1). If you knew in advance, you'd play 22 games, you'd be pretty content. First injury, Alisson missed just over 2 months. It would have been more games missed if it wasn't for covid, he was injured for 7/8 weeks with the second injury and only missed 3 games. There was also a red card.

so far this season, Alisson has has two injuries (shoulder and hamstring) played 12, adrian 5 (2 premier league, 1 champion's league, 2 league cup) and kelleher 1. If Alisson does turn out to be a bit injury prone, which is possible, it might be a real opportunity to become a top keeper. Hopefully he does well if and when he gets another chance... His stock has certainly risen over the last 24 hours. From that performance, he looks like the most credible No.2 for Ireland...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    So three good saves (the last one possibly very good as it did require fast reflexes and strong hands, even if it was straight at him), looked good with the ball at both his feet (important as you don't want forwards forcing you on to a weak foot), but completely misjudged the one cross he faced. Definitely a good confidence booster, but I'm still a little concerned about the crossing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I hope it’s just a confidence thing and that as he gets more action, he’ll be more assertive coming for balls. He did seem to be standing close to his line on crosses and letting his defenders deal with balls into the area. Perhaps given the situation he was even instructed to let defenders take the lead in some of those. The raw ingredients are there — hopefully he can now kick on, play on the weekend, and perhaps secure a loan move at a good standard for the second half of the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Caoimh gets the unbiased RTE motm.
    the BBC sport website also gave it to him (as voted by the fans)

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Gauging the Irish public's reaction is funny at times. I just heard Newstalk introduce the sports news there with "Cork's Caoimhin Kelleher the hero as Liverpool..." I thought it was a stretch.

And maybe RTE giving him MOTM and Kenny Cunningham fawning over him all night is a bit over the top too.

There's definitely a piece whereby people are over-stating his performance. But there's definitely an aspect whereby a cohort will mount a backlash against this. See also Aaron Connolly. Give me the former anyways. No harm dwelling on something positive these days.

Kelleher came through that game for me with a 7.5/10. He was unscathed, which I'd mark down as 6. And I'd give him another .5 for 2 or 3 grand saves, decent distribution facing a press and it being his debut.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    How did the English commentators pronounce his name?

10. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Loved Klopps reaction to him afterwards. There was genuine happiness for Kelleher in it, not a fake Jose Mourinho do it for the cameras pat on the back.

Elatedscum makes a good point. Is he better off on loan or back up to Allison? Henderson is back up to De Gea at United in a similar situation with obviously a higher profile. I would imagine that if Kelleher has some more performances like tonight there would be a lot of clubs very interested in taking him.
    Perhaps Klopp is just a better actor. How can you be sure that Klopp is that genuine. Sure people used to think that Mourinho was the Special Genuine One at one time !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    With professionalism and the benefit of research, similar to that afforded to Doherty and many before him.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    I do enjoy this phonetic effort from a journo on F365 in coping with the shortened version of Kelleher's first name that Klopp uses: https://www.football365.com/news/klo...liverpool-ajax

“I don’t know how many clean sheets, Super Cup final, Champions League, played everywhere. But now, in this game we needed the football playing ability, the natural football playing ability of Kweev."

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    I haven't been a fan to date.
    But i just saw his save from the header. That was Gordon Banks stuff...weldone baby
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020...eher-on-debut/

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Perhaps Klopp is just a better actor. How can you be sure that Klopp is that genuine. Sure people used to think that Mourinho was the Special Genuine One at one time !
    It looked genuine, Klopp as we know is not one to hide his emotions whatever the colour.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    He is a bit like the ciliessen guy, now at Valencia. but a better with the ball at his feet than the dutch

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Obviously a very impressive game. He is so good and composed with his feet I'd almost pick him in DM for Ireland!

I thought he got a bit lost under a high ball in the first half that luckily was flagged for an offside anyway, and then Onuna got lost in an almost identical fashion for Liverpool's goal.

But great game, keep it up.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post

And maybe RTE giving him MOTM and Kenny Cunningham fawning over him all night is a bit over the top too.
    To be fair I had Carragher and Richards on US tv here and they were full of praise for him too, at half time and end of game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Liverpool fans voted him their MOTM too
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Probably part that motm vote was relief that he's not Alisson.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Liverpool fans voted him their MOTM too
    My god he's pale. No doubting his lineage anyway. Irish hair is in check as well!

---

Had the game on in the background and I have to say it was a joy to be watch him play with such assuredness.

Lots of talk about him "needing to go out on loan". Madness, if he was out on loan now he wouldn't be able to play in games like last night. Chance are he'll play the final group game as well seeing as they are already through and who knows what will happen with the weekend.
    Last edited by BonnieShels; 02/12/2020 at 10:36 PM.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Lots of talk about him "needing to go out on loan". Madness, if he was out on loan now he wouldn't be able to play in games like last night. Chance are he'll play the final group game as well seeing as they are already through and who knows what will happen with the weekend.
    That talk was largely on the assumption that he's third choice and wouldn't get a sniff of first team football any time soon. If he can entrench himself as second choice, it seems he'll get his games. It's a pleasure to see any of our players at at a top club these days. I remember bitching about O'Shea at full back at times (he always looked much happier at centre half, for Ireland anyway), but a lad playing every week at a Champions League club is practically a pipe dream now. Well, unless Mourinho's habitual second season title bid materialises to carry Doherty into that role.

Page 8 of 78 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast