Page 12 of 78 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Caoimhín Kelleher GK Liverpool b.1998

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Might be a bit harsh, but I think Kelleher should have been closing down Barry quicker there. Was a bit too static and invited the shot from closer than it needed to be.
    More than a bit imo. EDIT: harsh that is, not static

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    More than a bit imo. EDIT: harsh that is, not static
    Having seen other angles, I definitely think he didn't cover himself in glory.

Slow coming off the line, didn't narrow down the angle, and didn't spread himself, allowing Barry effectively the whole goal to aim for.

https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Very hard to criticise the keeper when the forward has a free run at goal from half-way in fairness.

If you come out too far, you just get lobbed.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Very hard to criticise the keeper when the forward has a free run at goal from half-way in fairness.

Yep correct

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    I don't think Kelleher will have gained much from the run out tonight. I wouldn't be too critical of him for the goal, he was completely exposed by his defence. The only positive is he should get another start in a few weeks time.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

Absolutely, and I have been on the receiving end of it myself on occasion. But, I'm not suggesting he should have been sprinting out of goal immediately. He stopped dead on the penalty spot instead of charging from the minute Barry got to the edge of the box. He edges out, and then stops, leaving Barry plenty of time to get his shot away comfortably.

To be honest, the way he didn't spread himself at all is what gets me more though. Didn't make himself big, didn't narrow the angles.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    He’s clearly trying to prevent Barry from sliding it under / through him and trusting his reflexes to give him a sniff of saving anything attempted round him.

He does nothing wrong there.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Very harsh to blame Kelleher here.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Personally, Don’t think you can blame Kelleher at all there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I want Kelleher to succeed but have been critical of him when appropriate. I think it’s exceedingly harsh to put the blame for that goal on him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    For the record, I'm not blaming him for the goal, atrocious defending done that to him, but just think he could have been doing better to spread himself more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Meh. I can't comment on whether the criticism is correct; I'd guess it's a highly technical judgement with only a small impact on the goal chance. If it is considered the wrong thing, he'll have relevant drills in coaching all week. This is not a concern.

Klopp will be much more focused on his defensive options - the injuries to Gomez and van Dijk have left him very short there, and he started that match with a midfielder and a 19 year old in centre half. I guess he'll take a 4-1 win all day long anyway.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Surprised at goal criticism. There is nothing more he could have done, excellent finish by Barry. Had nothing to do other than that. I still strongly favor a loan move with a 24 hour call back clause a la Mark Travers. This would optimize his match experience while enabling him to cover Alisson if he gets injured.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Ole
    One goal conceded in three games. None from play. Coupled with instances of high level distribution. His time in the team can't have gone too much better.

As Eirambler sets out, he's probably played himself into being nailed on number 2. That's great and all for him as a young keeper at the best club in the world at present. Doesn't help Ireland too much though, I don't think. I feel it would be a brave call for Kenny to decide that Randolph has been usurped here now. A small sample size of matches and the likelihood off infrequent or seldom game time for the rest of the season makes it, in my view, very difficult to pick Kelleher.

That said, Randolph is playing as seldomly. The difference is the bank of experience at club and international level he has.

It would be a bold call for Kenny to make. As I've said before , it wouldn't come without a lot of risk and therein lies the challenge. The upside is better distribution from the goalkeeper. Shot stopping appears to be not too dissimilar. Is Kelleher assured enough in the air? And the biggest factor is the known unknown here i.e. what is the likelihood of things going badly for Kelleher and if badly, how badly? Based on what we have seen on Randolph and his time in goals, the likelihood of things going badly is low.
    Kenny is going to have to make a lot of calls in the next campaign, that means introducing a lot of new players, that are comfortable with his tactics and gameplan. Kelleher is one of them and even if he is No. 2 at Liverpool, he should have no problem being No. 1 for Ireland. He's playing more games at club level, he knows what Kenny wants and he's also able to do it. If he's good enough for Klopp, he's more than good enough for Kenny.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    Kenny is going to have to make a lot of calls in the next campaign, that means introducing a lot of new players, that are comfortable with his tactics and gameplan. Kelleher is one of them and even if he is No. 2 at Liverpool, he should have no problem being No. 1 for Ireland. He's playing more games at club level, he knows what Kenny wants and he's also able to do it. If he's good enough for Klopp, he's more than good enough for Kenny.
    Just saying ~ He doesn’t have the same back catalogue as Randolph doing the traditional Goalie stuff.

It would be an interesting experiment but of course Kenny could also lose Randolph if he took putting in this young goalkeeper before him in the wrong way !

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Darren Randolph not that type of guy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    My view is that Randolph has earned the right to lose the jersey, and that Kelleher’s performances at club level have been promising but that he is still largely unproven. We start with Randolph.

Injuries, COVID, or a Randolph error may lead to a Kelleher start, but unless Kelleher is somehow regularly starting at Premier League level, it’s Randolph’s shirt for the 2022 qualifying campaign in my view.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Agreed, but I'd still like to see him make his debut in March, against either Luxembourg or Qatar
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86
    My view is that Randolph has earned the right to lose the jersey, and that Kelleher’s performances at club level have been promising but that he is still largely unproven. We start with Randolph.

Injuries, COVID, or a Randolph error may lead to a Kelleher start, but unless Kelleher is somehow regularly starting at Premier League level, it’s Randolph’s shirt for the 2022 qualifying campaign in my view.
    Kenny has a rebuilding job to do. That means a radical overhaul of the squad asap. Randolph has played 9 games under Kenny. We've lost 4 of them, and he was directly responsible for the result in Finland. He also can't get his game ahead of a poor, error prone keeper at club level. That is not enough for him to start for Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Agreed, but I'd still like to see him make his debut in March, against either Luxembourg or Qatar
    I'm with you there. I have no objection to playing Kelleher and other young/inexperienced/fringe players against Qatar and in fact we should be using that game for experimentation.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Page 12 of 78 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast