Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    OK ~ Who has got the Doll of Kelleher ?
    Gav Bazunu, of course :-)

Quote Originally Posted by livehead1 View Post
    You never know, Brazilian's aren't renowned for staying more than a few seasons at any one European club. Both Allison and Ederson might want new challenges at some point.
    That's my take on it. At some point in the next 18 months there is going to be a merrygoround between the big continental teams and their keepers. I don't think it's that big a leap to think that Liverpool will put faith in Kelleher, and use the millions they'd get for Allison to either bump up the existing contracts, or replace a couple of those pushing on/not good enough. Adrian is a keeper of significant PL experience, they still have Karius on the books, yet they turn to Kelleher when Allison is unavailable? That's about as big a sign of confidence as you could ask for.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Still can't get a game even with Liverpool through and guaranteed top spot in the group. On the bench.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    I hope jaros going back to Liverpool won't cause our guy any problems
    I guess not tbf

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    I think Kelleher's a step above LoI in fairness. Wouldn't be too worried about Jaros yet.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Two dead rubber European games and no Kelleher start. He needs to sort his career out

6. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Two dead rubber European games and no Kelleher start. He needs to sort his career out
    But at least hes far better than Bazunu according to some on here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Dont think he is in control here. Cautionary tale is ohara. Kelleher cant do anything about not being picked at this stage. Has barely got enough games under his belt to be a compelling signing. Loan move maybe...depends on what he is being told by klopp. Fa cup run beckons. I doubt he will move before the summer.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Jeez, ya’d think they’d give the fella a game !

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamo kerry View Post
    Dont think he is in control here. Cautionary tale is ohara. Kelleher cant do anything about not being picked at this stage. Has barely got enough games under his belt to be a compelling signing. Loan move maybe...depends on what he is being told by klopp. Fa cup run beckons. I doubt he will move before the summer.
    In fairness O'Hara never played for United, and only made the bench once. I think Kelleher's a step or two ahead of him in that he is the established number 2.

Agree with most of the rest of your post though. He'll find a loan move if let - Bazunu was a less compelling signing when joining Rochdale last year - but yeah, he does need games, and backup keeper is an awful place to be stuck

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    I don’t buy it. He needs game time. Up to him to force it. Liverpool’s treatment of him is unacceptable and does not have his best interests at heart, it’s clearly club first well before his development. He will be just as easily cast aside once they acquire a more experienced keeper. He needs to man up and force a loan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    In fairness O'Hara never played for United, and only made the bench once. I think Kelleher's a step or two ahead of him in that he is the established number 2.

Agree with most of the rest of your post though. He'll find a loan move if let - Bazunu was a less compelling signing when joining Rochdale last year - but yeah, he does need games, and backup keeper is an awful place to be stuck
    I think my note on ohara was more that he got ahead of himself and made questionable calls. Defo..CK is already ahead of him at the same stage. Agreed.

He should be relatively compelling as a signing for a decent club. If dean Henderson can get a game so can kelleher. Timing is everything though. A good club where he'll play needing a keeper has to appear at the right time. That Sheffield run for Henderson was exactly what he needed. I'd be worried he would stick it out though hoping for the alison injury curse to strike again.

Not getting played in these dead rubbers is the first sign of trouble for me. Too early to panic though. He knows, Realistically alisson isn't going anywhere for a year or 3. I presume he has a plan. Next season he probably should be considering a loan. Hopefully he works it out like courtois did rather than say ben foster.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000
    I don’t buy it. He needs game time. Up to him to force it. Liverpool’s treatment of him is unacceptable and does not have his best interests at heart, it’s clearly club first well before his development. He will be just as easily cast aside once they acquire a more experienced keeper. He needs to man up and force a loan
    Look, he's a goalkeeper. Only one can play at any one time, it's not like any other position where there are 2 or 3 or 4 different options every match. So that has to be recognised when people are telling him what he should do.

He's in a no win situation. As long as Alisson can stand up straight, he plays. Nobody at Liverpool wants him unavailable. If Kelleher does play, people say one off games are not enough. If he doesn't play those games, people say he needs to leave. If he listens to them, any new club is a step down, and he sacrifices his chance to play more EPL games and win another European Cup medal. Even going through all that is no guarantee he will play for Ireland.

This time last year, he was playing every week in a poor Liverpool PL2 team, and conceding 7 goals against City at home. This year, he's part of matchday squads, and played in the EPL. He's found a pathway into the first team squad, so there's nothing wrong with Liverpool's treatment of him. It's easy to say he should do this that and the other, but he knows what he needs to do. The last time a Liverpool No. 2 left the club, Alisson got injured within a week. If Alisson is unavailable, he will have a wonderful opportunity to make the most of. So obviously he's decided to stick around to wait to do just that.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    2 dead rubber European game and no game time for your young second choice keeper who has single digit senior appearances. If Caoimhin is satisfied with that and willing to bide his time in case of an Alisson injury then fair enough, but it’s not wise IMO

15. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    2 dead rubber European game and no game time for your young second choice keeper who has single digit senior appearances. If Caoimhin is satisfied with that and willing to bide his time in case of an Alisson injury then fair enough, but it’s not wise IMO
    You’d wonder why they did not play him in this game ?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Given Liverpool changed their entire back four, it probably seemed like sensible insurance to have Alisson between the sticks. Kelleher will get games in the domestic cups and will play if Alisson is injured. Would a loan be better for his development? Probably, but it won’t happen until they have a better back-up than Adrian.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    That's fair commentary to a degree third policeman but I think it also says pretty clearly that

A) Klopp was prioritising all of that back four getting a game over Kelleher

B) He doesn't have as high an impression on Kelleher to provide that insurance as he'll glibly proclaim in an interview.

19. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Given Liverpool changed their entire back four, it probably seemed like sensible insurance to have Alisson between the sticks. Kelleher will get games in the domestic cups and will play if Alisson is injured. Would a loan be better for his development? Probably, but it won’t happen until they have a better back-up than Adrian.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    But they'll also probably change the back four again when the league cup comes around in two weeks though, so does Allison start again.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    But they'll also probably change the back four again when the league cup comes around in two weeks though, so does Allison start again.
    You don't get 2.5 million for winning a league cup game

Klopp rates Kelleher that is why he is his number 2 keeper and got a new long term deal.

The very fact he is his number 2 means he will not be sent on loan. Kelleher knew this when he signed. The best clubs in the world don't let their number 2 keepers go on loan to Portsmouth with a 24 hour recall option

Kelleher is taking a long term view of his career. He signed what I guess is a lucrative long term deal so he'll probably stay at Liverpool until he's 25 and then move on if he is not first choice.

Keepers can play at elite level until there 36 / 27 so plenty of time for him.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    That's fair commentary to a degree third policeman but I think it also says pretty clearly that

A) Klopp was prioritising all of that back four getting a game over Kelleher

B) He doesn't have as high an impression on Kelleher to provide that insurance as he'll glibly proclaim in an interview.
    Klopp was prioritising resting his first choice back four, and ensuring against injuries in the light of last year’s experience. I don’t think there is anything glib about his praise of Kelleher, it’s generally been in the context of recognising his performances when he has played. I can see the logic in playing an experienced goalie behind a scratch back four, and I can see why he needed to pick a scratch back four. Neither necessarily reflect on Kelleher. If he didn’t have confidence in him, he wouldn’t be No 2 and wouldn’t be sat on the bench every week ahead of Adrian.

24. Thanks From:

Page 20 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast