Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 81 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Caoimhín Kelleher GK Liverpool b.1998

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I was thinking about this even with strong arms, you still need strong hands, gym work doesnt give you that, to hold onto the ball, the sound and pace of those was clearly fast and hard, but maybe the camera makes it seem harder/faster. BUt it was the thing that stood out for me, when you normally see on tv those saves even from behind the goal cameras(granted no sound) the pace or power doesn't seem the same.

But ya easy do in training, and much easier anticipate when you have clear sight.

Oh and I am better than Alan Kelly at keepy uppy.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Same. I even think Conor Kearns looked better for the U21s. This one will be very interesting to keep an eye on.
    I think kelleher or buzuna will make all the difference when they play for us , hood on the ball unlike Randolph and willing to take up positions higher up the pitch to condense the space . Occasionally like bazuna at the weekend a worldwide from the other half will catch u but such an amazing help to your back 4 and midfield to not be stuck in your box protecting yourself

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    I think kelleher or buzuna will make all the difference when they play for us , hood on the ball unlike Randolph and willing to take up positions higher up the pitch to condense the space . Occasionally like bazuna at the weekend a worldwide from the other half will catch u but such an amazing help to your back 4 and midfield to not be stuck in your box protecting yourself
    Yep I can see that and can also see that the game is moving towards footballing goalkeepers. But I am old-fashioned and like my goalies to be good commanding goalies first and foremost. I think, for example, Arsenal looked far better with a big imposing keeper like Martinez over Leno. Similarly Celtic with Forster over Barkas. Keep goals first, be nice on the ball second! But I think that's becoming the less popular view now.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 12/11/2020 at 8:37 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Starts ahead of Adrian in champs league vs Ajax. Allison with muscle injury. Game not a dead rubber. I’m as nervous as hell! Best of luck Caoimhin!

5. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Huge show of faith. Hopefully he can repay.

Far from a dead rubber is right- you can tell that Klopp has picked the strongest 11 available, and has seemed Kelleher worthy.

7. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    That’s a shock. Brilliant opportunity but also massive pressure this is a big game for Liverpool after the home defeat to Atalanta and is a monumental one for Caoimhin, on such games careers have been built. Wish him all the luck in the world how great it would be for us to see a good, assured performance here.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    When was the last time an Irish player played in the Champions League proper? Have a feeling it’s Darron Gibson, perhaps this was brought up recently — anyone with the definitive answer?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    When was the last time an Irish player played in the Champions League proper? Have a feeling it’s Darron Gibson, perhaps this was brought up recently — anyone with the definitive answer?
    Probably Robbie Keane, at least he's a definitive South American hero.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Eoghan O’Connell at centre half for Celtic against Barca in the Camp Nou, group stage 2016.

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    He will take that for a first half. Two good saves. One from an offside effort. The second from a good long range shot. Distributions off both legs has been good, even from a good Ajax press.

15. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    Eoghan O’Connell at centre half for Celtic against Barca in the Camp Nou, group stage 2016.
    Champions League proper?

How about Stokes? in his golden season with Celtic, scored v Ajax at CP.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts
    Group stages isn't proper enough?

Before O'Connell, it was probably foot.ie's current player du jour, Cillian Sheridan.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 01/12/2020 at 8:08 PM.

18. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Group stages isn't proper enough?

Before O'Connell, it was probably foot.ie's current player du jour, Cillian Sheridan.
    Did Eoghan play in the group stages? if so he's the last player to play in the CL proper (group stages).

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts
    He did. Sub appearance in the 7-0 defeat in 2016

21. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Caoimh gets the unbiased RTE motm.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Didn't Paul predict this would happen?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Solid if unspectacular Champions League debut. Both of the saves he made were ones “he should have saved,” if you know what I mean. The one from outside of the box that he dived for, he almost made it look a bit more spectacular than it was. Then the late save looked great in real time, but the replays showed it was right at him.

His best play of the match was actually his first half save on a play which was actually offside.

A very solid performance in the circumstances and an important match in his development.

I’ll add, given how many dry years we’ve had in terms of young players coming through, especially at big clubs, we can accept some hyperbole.

But one of the more encouraging things was his distribution. He was assured without messing around — an improvement over some of his cup performances for Liverpool where he often looked like he was going for an adventure.
    Last edited by irishfan86; 01/12/2020 at 9:03 PM.

25. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Really good distribution, a few good saves and commanded his area well. The perfect introduction for Caoimhin.

Incredibly beautiful moment at the end when Jurgen ran straight over to hug Caoimhin. Jurgen no doubt has been a father-like figure since his youth days after Caoimhin experienced a personal loss. Really heart-warming

27. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    543 Posts
    Great performance from Kelleher. Did everything you can could ask of him. No nerves. Two examples of excellent handling. Four good saves. If you’re talking about elite level, if Neres scored the rebound you might look at him not getting a bit more on the low save and pushing it away further.

But overall good saves, good distribution with both feet and with his hands, good handling on two catches.

He’s in a weird situation though, if he goes ahead of Adrian, does that mean that he’s less likely to be allowed to leave on loan in January?

29. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    O'Connell is the last player to appear in the group stages, also the other player, with Kelleher now, to appear in the Champions League proper but not be capped by Ireland
    Sheridan is the last player to start a game before Kelleher

Kelleher is also the first Irish goalkeeper to keep a clean sheet in the Champions League group stages - Given only managed it in the qualifying round.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 01/12/2020 at 9:38 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

31. Thanks From:

Page 7 of 81 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast