Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 40 of 81 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: Caoimhín Kelleher GK Liverpool b.1998

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Further to this, O'Leary seems to have displaced Bentley as Bristol City number one and Jack Bonham now seems to be first choice at Stoke , with Adam Davies now moving to Stoke to replace Olsen.

Embarrassing riches indeed.

2. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    Further to this, O'Leary seems to have displaced Bentley as Bristol City number one and Jack Bonham now seems to be first choice at Stoke , with Adam Davies now moving to Stoke to replace Olsen.

Embarrassing riches indeed.
    True, should we start including them in the debate about first-choice goalkeeper? Particularly O'Leary, who is only a couple of years older than Kelleher and has a good decade ahead of him in his career, at least

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Liverpool's GK staff are getting a lot of credit here too considering their track record isn't all that great. Karius was tipped to be the main man and when they couldn't get him there they spent 80m on tried and tested. Maybe Kelleher has improved in spite of them?
    ah cmon, they are two completely different situations. karius was signed as a promising keeper from germany, he played and dropped multiple clangers in big games and his head went. this has happened to plenty of gks in the past. kelleher has been there since he was 16 or whatever, they've moulded him from a teenager. obviously the mental stuff will be more of an individual trait. to not give them dues on kelleher is a bit extreme, the lad is clearly talented but his development path would have been mostly down to the club/coaches. i think we can all say they've done a very good job there. people argue he should have been out on loan 2 years ago but coaches possibly saw he wasnt ready or where they wanted him to be, to go through with it. every kid that goes through an academy is different, bazunu and travers have travelled different paths to kelleher and in all 3 cases you can say the clubs looking after them have done well with the paths they chose for the 3 lads.
    Last edited by Jd2793; 22/01/2022 at 8:10 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    ah cmon, they are two completely different situations. karius was signed as a promising keeper from germany, he played and dropped multiple clangers in big games and his head went. this has happened to plenty of gks in the past. kelleher has been there since he was 16 or whatever, they've moulded him from a teenager. obviously the mental stuff will be more of an individual trait. to not give them dues on kelleher is a bit extreme, the lad is clearly talented but his development path would have been mostly down to the club/coaches. i think we can all say they've done a very good job there. people argue he should have been out on loan 2 years ago but coaches possibly saw he wasnt ready or where they wanted him to be, to go through with it. every kid that goes through an academy is different, bazunu and travers have travelled different paths to kelleher and in all 3 cases you can say the clubs looking after them have done well with the paths they chose for the 3 lads.
    Ah it was half in jest Jd but the point wasn't really that they didn't do a good job developing Karius. It was that they thought he was good enough to be #1 and it turned out, given a run as #1 that he wasn't. And these are the great GKing minds Kelleher has access to? Buying a keeper for 80m to cover your previous mistakes isn't that impressive.

I doubt that scenario pans out with Kelleher (that he gets a run as #1 OR that he turns out not to be good enough!) but we are being told that it is self evident he would not be in a better spot if he'd gone on loan just because of the quality of coaching he is getting at Liverpool. I don't buy that. It could be true and maybe people are right in that he needed something different as someone who took to goalkeeping a bit later but it's definitely not self evident.

He could be way ahead of where he is now if he had a few seasons of proper football. We will never know but for people to write off that idea is a bit ridiculous. He'd more than likely be starting somewhere now, possibly at EPL level. Why would we not want that?

I agree that all 3 lads have done well so far though. So absolutely credit is due to the people managing them along the way but the argument that being #2 at Liverpool is obviously better than being #1 elsewhere is nowhere near watertight. If we are saying Kelleher is different and needed something unique then fair enough - but it's not really mad to say, generally speaking, that footballers should play football to get better at football.

7. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    I'm i the only person on this planet that thinks Allison is over rated?
    See his performance today? Showed exactly why Klopp referred to him as the best keeper in the world (while referring to Kelleher as an outstanding keeper)

9. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I only saw from 75(?) mins onwards. I think he made 2 misjudgments he was lucky to recover from! One where he went wide for a Robertson backpass and another when he got caught a bit in no man's land but recovered well to save the ensuing lob. A better lob and it was a goal. It's not just Irish keepers I'm nit-picky about

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Really fortunate to not get sent off early in the second half here,nothing to do otherwise….
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Here's the yellow. I think it's the correct decision - the defender is very close by - but I'm not sure why he's come for the ball in the first place, again especially with the defender shadowing the Cardiff player.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Yikes. I'd be more worried that he missed the ball completely. Player makes a meal of it but if he'd really connected with him it was a red all day.

He'll learn from it. This is why he needs to play. He won't get scenarios like that very often in training. Bazunu's done similar.

14. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Here's the yellow. I think it's the correct decision - the defender is very close by - but I'm not sure why he's come for the ball in the first place, again especially with the defender shadowing the Cardiff player.

Very Lucky to get a Yellow for that ~ Had he missed the player completely then the player might well have had a clear goal to put the ball in, all be it from a long way out. The spin of the ball from the deflection was still having some affect ~ Ok maybe the defender would have covered back. I wouldn’t be happy if that happened against my team and the goal-keeper was Not sent off.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Theres certain people on here that would hammer Bazunu if he did that.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    And if Bazunu did that, there would be certain people on here who would say that Kelleher would be hammered for doing it too.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    It's a prefect example of why most of us would like to see him play more regularly. It's only with regular games we'll see how often a mistake like that will happen and how he'll respond. Since Bazunu had his dodgy run of games there's hardly been a mention of an error since, he's shown the mental strength and ability to recover from a set back that we just don't know if Kelleher has yet.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest
    It's a prefect example of why most of us would like to see him play more regularly. It's only with regular games we'll see how often a mistake like that will happen and how he'll respond. Since Bazunu had his dodgy run of games there's hardly been a mention of an error since, he's shown the mental strength and ability to recover from a set back that we just don't know if Kelleher has yet.
    He had 40 minutes after the error to respond. He had to race out of his goal again for another clearance soon afterwards, and headed it away. I know his ability to bounce back is not in doubt. He's now had 7 games this season in all competitions, with more to follow Not bad considering the club he's at, and who is in front of him.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...nal-goalkeeper

Great opportunity for Caoimhin on Sunday.

Also clear from the end of that article that a move - loan or permanent - will not be happening.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Good to hear he will start in the final. He speaks well. There's a maturity about himself and Bazunu that you don't see much at their age. Maybe it's just the position. Contrast them with Connolly et al....

23. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Good to hear he will start in the final. He speaks well. There's a maturity about himself and Bazunu that you don't see much at their age. Maybe it's just the position. Contrast them with Connolly et al....
    Connolly could do with their head and shoulders which might also improve his hair.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Kelleher is 24 - hardly a kid - and both of them are at clubs likely to take media training seriously.

26. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Kelleher is 24 - hardly a kid - and both of them are at clubs likely to take media training seriously.
    I don’t think it’s just down to media training. There are plenty of players at both clubs who clearly haven’t derived much benefit from it. They have something about them that comes across as natural and part of their personality.

28. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Kelleher turned 23 around 3 months ago

Page 40 of 81 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast