Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 27 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast

Thread: Caoimhín Kelleher GK Liverpool b.1998

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    Fantastic performance in a top of the table clash at the highest level of English club football. That still won't be good enough for Kenny, but that's not his fault.
    What does “good enough for Kenny” mean? I’m assuming to have him as starter for the MNT.

The question is not whether a singular performance is good enough for Kenny (Kenny gave Kelleher his Irish debut and has him as a clear second choice), more whether this performance in combination with other performances justifies dislodging Bazunu. As we all know Bazunu is currently in possession of the #1 jersey for us and has performed extremely well for country but also for club - a host of good performances, player and fan awards, call-outs in international media. From my perspective, Bazunu and Kelleher are relatively equal as goalkeeping options but possession is 9/10ths of the law and the 90 minutes each week for club counts in his favour too. The sum total of Kelleher’s season to date can’t reasonably and objectively outweigh the case for Bazunu to hold on to the starting spot right now. I think that’s a fairly reasonable take on Kelleher v Bazunu situation. As some have also said, there’s probably an equally reasonable case to be made for Travers ahead of both of them based on a combination of the same factors discussed here - club level, club playing time and performances - but let’s not overcomplicate the discussion…

The weird thing is I think the “anti-Kelleher” narrative that some are saying exists on here is almost completely non-existent. Almost every reasonable poster comments on how there are three excellent candidates for the Irish keepers jersey and how we are spoilt for choice.

For some posters to be claiming the existence of an some anti-Kelleher campaign is, to be completely honest, as embarrassing as anything I’ve seen on here in the last 15 years.

2. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Spot on. I’ve not heard a single report, comment or post anywhere suggesting that he was at fault for the second goal except here. I’m struggling to understand why some people can’t recognise that he is already shaping up to be an outstanding goalkeeper. And one who is ideally suited to the style of play that Kenny / Barry want us to play.
    don't think you could say it was his fault but Alisson *might* have closed the angle earlier and maybe had a chance to save it. he'd leave himself vulnerable to being lobbed that way. i honestly think if you put the 100 best keepers in the world in goal for that situation, 95+ times out of a hundred, it's a goal...

All of Salah, Alexander-Arnold, Konate, Van Dijk, Henderson played a minor role contributing to the goal. Trent is out of position, Salah doesn't win a 50-50 with Rudiger, Konate gets dragged out of position to cover Trent even though there's more danger in the middle, Van Dijk doesn't plug that gap left by Konate, Henderson gets drawn towards the ball and loses Pulisic and maybe Kelleher is a little too static. A chain of extremely small mistakes which lead to the next one and contribute to the goal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Kelleher's early save from Pulisic reminded me of David Marshall against Barcelona, at 2:28 here

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    I agree thought he did really well. Compare that to mendy who made things easy for mane by going to ground for liverpools first and was beaten at his near post by Sarah from an angle where going near post was always going to be the easiest for Salah. If kelleher had let those in there would be lots of giving out on here. Allison has made big errors in the 2021 calendar year against spurs, West ham , man City and Leicester leading to goals and droped points the likes of which if kelleher had made lads on here would be saying he was league of ireland standard
    Keepers who play games will make mistakes though. Unless Liverpool are leaving a flawless keeper on the bench for some unknown reason?

Kelleher was great. Can he do it over a season? What happens when he has a blip? Again, that's why some of us would prefer he was #1 elsewhere.

Hopefully he gets a run of games now. If he does and plays at that level then I'd have no issue with him going in for the next international game..although Bazunu has the jersey and may need to slip up first. It's a unique position obviously.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    Kelleher is like a boy scout he needs one or two years living in Greater Bs As living in Hurlingham, Wilde or William C. Morris to man up a bit. He needs to be a real scoundrel to advance there. Too nice fellow too soon. Chillavert Dassaev Kahn El Mono Burgos, Neuer would have killed pulisic in that one.
    It's like someone fed garbage to a text-generating AI.

7. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Ah, sure he was grand , should be punching that ball out to the wings / out of play / perhaps out for a corner. He’ll probably get the hang of that kind of stuff after awhile.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Good spot. Reminds me too of a save I made against some team wearing green who played near Walkinstown in a cup match around 1996. I saved a pen that day too. We won 3-1.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Call him up SK!

11. Thanks From:

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Anybody who thinks Kelleher is getting a raw deal now would do well to read over the first page or two of this thread again. There were many, many sceptics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Seems his luck is non-existent at the minute. Reports that Liverpool had to cancel their training session today, some reports that 14 players in the first team squad have had positive Covid-19 tests with all of their senior goalkeepers among that figure.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    https://mobile.twitter.com/premierle...news%2F2439560

Made the premier league team of the week,nice little token of recognition…
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Caoimhin Kelleher cameos show that Ireland is in safe hands
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/4...86c6c17a57ddae

17. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Great article, as is the Neil O’Riordan article Rowan cites.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Seems his luck is non-existent at the minute. Reports that Liverpool had to cancel their training session today, some reports that 14 players in the first team squad have had positive Covid-19 tests with all of their senior goalkeepers among that figure.
    1st Leg v Arsenal now the 2nd Leg, so at least that has worked out okay for him - https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59883780

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    I just said that he should have pressured pulisic. Manuel Neuer would eat up Pulisic' ears after stomp over him. I like kelleher footie and composed at feet but the lad is too nice. Grow a beard Kelleher at least you are a goalkeeper!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    he has a beard? and what does that have to do with anything?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    he has a beard? and what does that have to do with anything?
    Vikings generally had beards so, ya know !

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Kelleher isn't a viking?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    1st Leg v Arsenal now the 2nd Leg, so at least that has worked out okay for him - https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59883780
    Would Kelleher not be in isolation still next week.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Kelleher isn't a viking?
    These days ya can be what ya wanna be.

Perhaps we could make the goals a lot bigger and give the the goalkeepers a giant racket ( safer than an axe for obvious reasons ) just to make soccer more interesting.

Page 27 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast