Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 16 of 81 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: Caoimhín Kelleher GK Liverpool b.1998

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    He's an interesting one. He could be the next Dean kiely though at both international and club level
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    He's an interesting one. He could be the next Dean kiely though at both international and club level
    I’ve been very impressed when I’ve seen him (which is not that often in fairness.) In Hungary when they got a half each I actually thought he looked a little better than Bazunu. We’re in the happy position of having them both for the next 10-15 years anyway, injuries permitting of course.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

3. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I thought so too and agreed with p stu, he also just doesn't have the same presence as kelleher but his ability on the ball and particularly that direct floating ball over the top is enough to keep him ahead of kelleher.

Gaelic and football have become a lot more aligned in recent years than either would care to admit.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    542 Posts
    I thought so too and agreed with p stu, he also just doesn't have the same presence as kelleher but his ability on the ball and particularly that direct floating ball over the top is enough to keep him ahead of kelleher.

Gaelic and football have become a lot more aligned in recent years than either would care to admit.
    Kelleher is as good with his feet as Bazunu

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts

And I'm not sure about Bazunu's GAA pedigree but I know that Kelleher's brothers play senior hurling and football for Blackrock in Cork!

7. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    In Hungary when they got a half each I actually thought he looked a little better than Bazunu.
    I thought so too but I have to be honest and say Kelleher never impressed me for the U21s - most notably Toulon - and also in one or two League Cup matches for Liverpool I thought he looked very raw. He played a blinder in the CL against Ajax though but got lost under a high floating inswinger that he missed completely but luckily for him the ref blew for an earlier foul. He was excellent in Hungary.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 09/09/2021 at 8:25 AM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I have said that by the end of this season there could be a scenario where Bazunu could be senior keeper. He might be the only one playing regular 1st team football. We don't know what Kelleher is because he's never played anywhere regularly. Randolphs position at number 1 has to be under threat if he spends season on bench
    Bumping this post from Razor, almost 12 months ago!

Interesting to go back over the Kelleher and subsequently Bazunu discussion from page 1 here.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    It's borderline impossible to know where Kelleher is at because he plays so infrequently for club and country. All we can go on is 'Liverpool rate him' at this stage, which doesn't really mean a whole lot other than stalling his development by not allowing him go out on loan. His international career may have already been sacrificed as a result (admittedly a bit dramatic but Bazunu is younger and it's his position to lose now).

PS- Good call Razor!

12. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    I've always felt that if he's so highly rated by those working closely with him he must be special and I must be missing something. It's just that until Ajax and Hungary I'd never really noticed it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Even Ajax is overblown I think because of the importance of the one save he had to make, it was routine enough. He was very good in Hungary alright.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Even Ajax is overblown I think because of the importance of the one save he had to make, it was routine enough. He was very good in Hungary alright.
    Routine? It was a bullet header from point blank 😂

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    Routine? It was a bullet header from point blank 

Looks great in real time but in truth it's pretty much straight at him. I think it would have went down as being poor had it gone in. But it didn't, so all good.

Edit - to be fair "routine" was a poor choice of word, it's not the type of save that's needed to be made very often, but I do think it's one a keeper should make.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 09/09/2021 at 10:45 AM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    To be fair bazunus mid air ones against Serbia mkstleu were all fairly straight at him too. But his ones to feet were very good saves.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Worth pointing out, a goalkeepers good positioning often makes a fairly difficult save look relatively easy.

Have to be in the right place at the right time to make those saves, and that's a large part of the game for a goalkeeper now.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    645 Posts
    I'd be biased in favour of Bazunu given the Rovers connection particularly as when he was home during the summer he was seen regularly at matches but i think the first team football is the clincher in terms of playing for Ireland.
    If Kelleher or Travers aren't playing then the number 1 position is his by default IMO.
    Obviously if he was having a mare and letting us down that's a different story then you take a chance on a different guy who is warming a bench week in week out but until he starts letting us down he is the only logical choice.
    If Kelleher makes the breakthrough and actually starts playing for Liverpool it would be hard to leave him out while playing regularly for a top 4 club unless Bazunu was in goals for city.
    Wouldnt it be gas all the same considering the poverty of Iriah players at top clubs if City and Liverpool first choice keepers were Irish

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Wouldnt it be gas all the same considering the poverty of Iriah players at top clubs if City and Liverpool first choice keepers were Irish
    The 'embarrassment of riches' dilemma Brazil currently have! Unfortunately neither of those two are going anywhere soon, both having signed long-term contact extensions in the last month.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Would love to see Kelleher going on loan and getting good game time
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Would be great, but its hard to see either (let alone both) of these mega rich clubs putting their trust in a young Irish goalkeeper. You never know I suppose, but it would have to be considered unlikely.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Would be great, but its hard to see either (let alone both) of these mega rich clubs putting their trust in a young Irish goalkeeper. You never know I suppose, but it would have to be considered unlikely.
    The counterpoint is that these clubs spend a lot of money on their academies and owners want to see a return on investment. I think managers also take pride in giving elite young players breakthrough opportunities.

All of that said, I think the likeliest path to actually earning the shirt at one of these clubs for Bazunu or Kelleher would involve a lengthy enforced absence to the main goalkeeper. And even then they would have to be almost flawless for that initial period right after the starting keeper became unavailable, and before a potential replacement was brought in.

A tough road but it’s never easy trying to make the breakthrough at clubs of that level. Would love at least one of them defy the odds and make it happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Azeri keeper didn’t pull off the same routine save from Duffy a few days ago.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

28. Thanks From:

Page 16 of 81 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast