Page 44 of 78 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: Caoimhín Kelleher GK Liverpool b.1998

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Define need. Do you mean if he's not playing regularly in The Championship or League 1 then he won't be able to deal with the pressure of a big high pressure game. Well that's clearly not true. Agree, it would be better if he was playing more regularly, but he's still clearly a very talented goalkeeper who is perfectly capable of doing a job for us in international games.
    To be honest he has not been tested as a regular goalkeeper yet. How will he cope with that responsibility ? How will he recover from the mistakes that are bound to happen when a goalkeeper is playing regularly especially a young goalkeeper ? None of these can be answered until he is playing regularly. For people like myself ( and maybe yourself as well ) who have followed football for years ~ ~ I have seen many examples of reserve goalkeepers step in for awhile and everybody thinks they are great and well able to handle it and yet after awhile it becomes all too clear why they are the back-up goalkeeper. Long term playing is the only way to answer these questions.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    To be honest he has not been tested as a regular goalkeeper yet. How will he cope with that responsibility ? How will he recover from the mistakes that are bound to happen when a goalkeeper is playing regularly especially a young goalkeeper ? None of these can be answered until he is playing regularly. For people like myself ( and maybe yourself as well ) who have followed football for years ~ ~ I have seen many examples of reserve goalkeepers step in for awhile and everybody thinks they are great and well able to handle it and yet after awhile it becomes all too clear why they are the back-up goalkeeper. Long term playing is the only way to answer these questions.
    So with your logic Travers should be #1 at this very moment.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    So with your logic Travers should be #1 at this very moment.
    He is certainly playing consistently a pretty high level and playing well. Between him and Bazuna at the moment I reckon.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Well he won't be going out on loan any time soon, according to Klopp's latest statement:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2022...leher-on-loan/

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    He actually kind of rows back on it in his comments further down and suggests that he will have to go on loan, either next year or the year after. And he clearly will either have to go on loan or leave at some point before long, he can't just be the Liverpool number 2 for ever.

Disappointing that he's not getting the cup game tomorrow night, if Allison stays fit we might not see much more of Kelleher for Liverpool this season.

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Define need. Do you mean if he's not playing regularly in The Championship or League 1 then he won't be able to deal with the pressure of a big high pressure game. Well that's clearly not true. Agree, it would be better if he was playing more regularly, but he's still clearly a very talented goalkeeper who is perfectly capable of doing a job for us in international games.
    He needs to face more shots, more crosses, more one-on-ones in a competitive situation, to become a better all-round keeper. There's nothing better than games at this point of a young player's career to accelerate their development and Kelleher's only played 19 for club and country. Travers and Bazunu have quickly racked up over 70 each and are both far more consistent than they were after their respective 19th games. Kelleher's doing very well with the time he's being given and I am certainly OK with him playing internationally but I reckon he needs to get to at least 50 appearances under his belt to start to fully reach his potential and right now he's crawling towards that.

8. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    He needs to face more shots, more crosses, more one-on-ones in a competitive situation, to become a better all-round keeper. There's nothing better than games at this point of a young player's career to accelerate their development and Kelleher's only played 19 for club and country. Travers and Bazunu have quickly racked up over 70 each and are both far more consistent than they were after their respective 19th games. Kelleher's doing very well with the time he's being given and I am certainly OK with him playing internationally but I reckon he needs to get to at least 50 appearances under his belt to start to fully reach his potential and right now he's crawling towards that.
    Hopefully one more game tomorrow night

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    travers is still no3.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    travers is still no3.
    That is looking less credible by the game that Travers is playing and doing well in. Even to Travers and Bazuna it would be a bit bizarre if a guy who had just played 19 senior games was getting a game before them. I would say that Kelleher is 3rd now behind both Bazuna and Travers.

A footballer / goalkeeper has to be playing games if at all possible ~ ~ thats what it says on the tin.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    That is looking less credible by the game that Travers is playing and doing well in. Even to Travers and Bazuna it would be a bit bizarre if a guy who had just played 19 senior games was getting a game before them. I would say that Kelleher is 3rd now behind both Bazuna and Travers.

A footballer / goalkeeper has to be playing games if at all possible ~ ~ thats what it says on the tin.
    So you would have played McDermott ahead of Randolph? It’s a balance. Of course it would be preferable if Kelleher was playing more games, but the form and ability he has sown when he has played count for something. He’s proved he can play in ultra high pressure games against top opposition. Travers, with respect, has not done that yet. And if you were to apply the ‘must be playing regularly’ test to the rest of our selections, I shudder to think what kind of team we’d be putting out.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    So you would have played McDermott ahead of Randolph? It’s a balance. Of course it would be preferable if Kelleher was playing more games, but the form and ability he has sown when he has played count for something. He’s proved he can play in ultra high pressure games against top opposition. Travers, with respect, has not done that yet. And if you were to apply the ‘must be playing regularly’ test to the rest of our selections, I shudder to think what kind of team we’d be putting out.
    Travers and Bazuna are playing at a decent level ~ Particularly Travers ~ The Championship is a good competition particularly when you are doing well in a team at the top of it.

How many of Kelleher’s games could be questioned as league cup games / dead rubbers in Europe. How many of his games could be considered as important as games fighting for promotion from the Championship for example ?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    All of which misses the point completely. Whenever he has played, he's been impressive and that's been recognised by fans, pundits, former players, journalists etc but strangely not by some people on this forum. So, there is more than reasonable evidence to suggest that he would be equally impressive if he was playing for us. I have already said, it would be preferable if he was playing more regularly, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be a serious contender for our number 1 goalkeeping position.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    416 Posts

Kelleher is closer to being first choice than he is third choice. Travers is a great shot stopper, but his distribution is the weakest of all three.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    All of which misses the point completely. Whenever he has played, he's been impressive and that's been recognised by fans, pundits, former players, journalists etc but strangely not by some people on this forum. So, there is more than reasonable evidence to suggest that he would be equally impressive if he was playing for us. I have already said, it would be preferable if he was playing more regularly, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be a serious contender for our number 1 goalkeeping position.
    He needs to be playing more games from next season if he wants to be the Irish number One especially considering how much his competition goalkeepers are playing.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Still not convinced by that argument. It's not how much they are playing that's relevant, it's how well they are playing. I acknowledge that both are doing well at the minute, and Bazunu has been impressive when he's played for us. All I am saying is that we should use the upcoming games to rotate the keepers, and not rule out Kelleher, because he is playing fewer games. I don't see that as an unreasonable position.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Still not convinced by that argument. It's not how much they are playing that's relevant, it's how well they are playing. I acknowledge that both are doing well at the minute, and Bazunu has been impressive when he's played for us. All I am saying is that we should use the upcoming games to rotate the keepers, and not rule out Kelleher, because he is playing fewer games. I don't see that as an unreasonable position.
    I am certainly not against giving Travers and Kelleher a game in the upcoming Nations league / Friendly Games ~ ~ Why Not ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    Seanfhear, while i am in agreement with you on the arguments being made, his name is Bazunu, not Bazuna. It is not a hard name to get right.

20. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Seanfhear, while i am in agreement with you on the arguments being made, his name is Bazunu, not Bazuna. It is not a hard name to get right.
    Mea Culpa.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    Meu Culpu...

24. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    I've been very impressed by Kelleher so far. The pressure and intensity of playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world must be huge. Liverpool have 50,000,000 plus supporters around the globe.

Being subject to that level of scrutiny / spotlight and putting in those performances have been fantastic. Will hold him in good stead over the next 15 years of his career as keepers can play comfortably now to late 30s.

Page 44 of 78 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast