Page 32 of 78 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Caoimhín Kelleher GK Liverpool b.1998

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Yeah - just sometimes I guess the best way to highlight really a daft claim is to take it literally and show it's not true. I think the combination of what you've said and what I've said and what tets has said should really put what mypost said to bed, but...
    sigh.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    https://punditarena.com/football/and...azunu-ireland/

Shay Given joins the anti-Kelleher brigade.
    In fairness if it looks like Kelleher won’t be playing much for Liverpool next season then he needs a loan move or a move. By then he will be heading for 24 at and that age ya want to be realistically fighting for the Number 1 jersey and playing very regularly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    He's not looking at a move. He's quite happy where he is, and he gets rewarded for his patience. Nobody wants to leave Liverpool atm, even the likes of Origi wants to stay where he is.

Maybe when Bazunu is his age, and upgraded to No. 3 at City, he'll get to understand how it feels to sit on the bench every week.

Bazunu isn't criticised for making a few good saves. Kenny is criticised for playing him while he is playing week in week out at an awful level of football against awful footballers, when we have an alternative option at an EPL club. If Kelleher is good enough to play for Klopp, he should be more than capable of doing a job for Kenny against the best players in the world.
    Last edited by mypost; 12/01/2022 at 5:02 PM.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    At this stage, and I've no real skin in the game, the most likely explantion to ms for this weird vitriol towards Bazunu is that he snubbed mypost is some way when he was at Rovers.

It's almost impressive that somebody can get so irate about the whole thing.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    He's not looking at a move. He's quite happy where he is, and he gets rewarded for his patience. Nobody wants to leave Liverpool atm, even the likes of Origi wants to stay where he is.

Maybe when Bazunu is his age, and upgraded to No. 3 at City, he'll get to understand how it feels to sit on the bench every week.

Bazunu isn't criticised for making a few good saves. Kenny is criticised for playing him while he is playing week in week out at an awful level of football against awful footballers, when we have an alternative option at an EPL club. If Kelleher is good enough to play for Klopp, he should be more than capable of doing a job for Kenny against the best players in the world.
    Why would a fella by age say 24 stay at a club if, say there was very little chance of him becoming number 1 goalkeeper. That would be showing a serious lack of ambition. I mean he could go out on loan , be sold with a buy back clause. If you don’t think you deserve to be number 1 at a club at age 24 then I think it would have to be said, that you are lacking the real ambition necessary to be a Number 1 Goalkeeper.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Why would a fella by age say 24 stay at a club if, say there was very little chance of him becoming number 1 goalkeeper. That would be showing a serious lack of ambition. I mean he could go out on loan , be sold with a buy back clause. If you don’t think you deserve to be number 1 at a club at age 24 then I think it would have to be said, that you are lacking the real ambition necessary to be a Number 1 Goalkeeper.
    Maybe his ambition is to be Liverpool number 1. If it is, he’s not doing himself any harm at the moment. Made PL team of the week after the Chelsea game.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    At this stage, and I've no real skin in the game, the most likely explantion to ms for this weird vitriol towards Bazunu is that he snubbed mypost is some way when he was at Rovers.

It's almost impressive that somebody can get so irate about the whole thing.
    From what I recall from the Rovers forum he rarely went to games so I'm not sure even that could explain it.
    Last edited by ontheotherhand; 11/01/2022 at 7:09 PM.

8. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Maybe his ambition is to be Liverpool number 1. If it is, he’s not doing himself any harm at the moment. Made PL team of the week after the Chelsea game.
    A chat with Klopp before next season to see how a realistic a proposition that is would hardly hurt. A chat with his coaches / advisors about the same would also be a good idea. He should of course have a good chance of working out how viable that really is himself also.

Thing is, he could move to another club and the next week Allison could get a long term injury but hanging about waiting for that to happen could end up like ~ Waiting for Godot ! !

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    A chat with Klopp before next season to see how a realistic a proposition that is would hardly hurt. A chat with his coaches / advisors about the same would also be a good idea. He should of course have a good chance of working out how viable that really is himself also.

Thing is, he could move to another club and the next week Allison could get a long term injury but hanging about waiting for that to happen could end up like ~ Waiting for Godot ! !
    By being number 2 and getting games he’s more likely to get a decent loan or move. Paradoxically i’d say he’s got better visibility in England than Bazunu even though he is playing less football.
    His status and recognition is pretty high on the basis of where he is and what he has shown when given the chance.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    My two cents:

Bazunu:
    Upsides: has played brilliantly for Ireland over the last year against a high level of opposition, shirt is his to lose. Big presence, calm, excellent shot-stopper, and only 19. Playing week-in, week-out.
    Downsides: The odd blunder here and there for Portsmouth, as you might expect from a teenager. Not as quite as good as Kelleher with the ball at his feet, but still very quick and accurate with his distribution. Very much unproven at the highest club level.

Kelleher:
    Upsides: Getting first-team experience at the highest level. Excellent distribution. Very good reflexes and anticipation. Good shot-stopper.
    Downsides: Needs to bulk up. Looks a bit small in stature and presence, compared to Bazunu; doesn’t seem to fill the goal as naturally. Has been beaten a bit too easily for my liking, notably against Arsenal last season and Leicester a few weeks ago. He was very weak-handed for Shrewsbury’s disallowed goal on Sunday. But then, playing for a massive club, your shortcomings are always magnified. And maybe regular football would iron those things out.

Glad we have them both, but I think Bazunu just about has the higher ceiling. There’s very little to separate them on reflexes, anticipation, defensive organisation, and shot-stopping. Kelleher has better distribution, but Bazunu is a physical freak.

I remember there was a good old battle between Alan Kelly and Shay Given between 1998 and 2000 - if Given was off-form or not getting his game, Kelly was picked. I can see the same happening with the two lads. We’re genuinely lucky to have them, and I wish we had the same kind of quality in any outfield position.

13. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    By being number 2 and getting games he’s more likely to get a decent loan or move. Paradoxically i’d say he’s got better visibility in England than Bazunu even though he is playing less football.
    His status and recognition is pretty high on the basis of where he is and what he has shown when given the chance.
    I think that's all fair but Bazunu was just recognized in Marca as one of the most exciting prospects in world football...I think he's getting plenty of visibility with the quality of saves he has been making. It didn't hurt that a few of them were against Ronaldo of course but his save against Luxembourg went a long way around the web.

Both are in a great spot right now. I'd still rather Kelleher was playing every week. I'm not sure why that's seen as controversial to be honest. He's good enough to be a #1 based on what we've seen (although I haven't seen him pull off any truly remarkable saves yet) and it would be better for Ireland if he was.

15. Thanks From:

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Yeah the notion that if Kelleher was to, for example, replace Schmiechel at Leicester and play 38 league games next season it would be a step backwards for him shouldn't be seen as outrageous.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    Yeah the notion that if Kelleher was to, for example, replace Schmiechel at Leicester and play 38 league games next season it would be a step backwards for him shouldn't be seen as outrageous.
    We could hope that, just after the transfer window closes and while exiting a helicopter, Allison sees some friends of his he's really excited to see and waves to them if we're going to dream up near-best-case scenarios.

19. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    We could ask if Allison could be made me a bit lame in one leg during the middle of the weekend. You know, something beggable, but not leprosy, which is a pain in the arse, to be blunt

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Looks likely that Alisson will play tonight - https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2022...abao-cup-semi/

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Looks likely that Alisson will play tonight - https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2022...abao-cup-semi/
    So Alisson is now their EFL Cup keeper. Kelleher promoted.

23. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    So Alisson is now their EFL Cup keeper. Kelleher promoted.
    A bit of a slap in the teeth for Kelleher all the same. The number 1 needs some game time ~ Step aside Number 2.

By next season Kelleher should actively want to have the responsibility / pressure of being a Number One Goalkeeper ~ Ya never know if someone is capable of being a number 1 goalkeeper until he plays a considerable number of games there ~ How does anyone know that he can handle that until he actually passes the test that he can handle it.

25. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    416 Posts
    A bit of a slap in the teeth for Kelleher all the same. The number 1 needs some game time ~ Step aside Number 2.
    Well that is the life of being a back up keeper. Hopefully for him Allison only plays in the first leg to get minutes before the Brentford game and Kelleher comes back in for the second leg and possible final.

27. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Well that is the life of being a back up keeper. Hopefully for him Allison only plays in the first leg to get minutes before the Brentford game and Kelleher comes back in for the second leg and possible final.
    Probably why most ambitious goalkeepers really want to be Number 1 even if it meant going on loan ~ I am more talking about next season to be fair.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Alisson hasn't played in 16 days and that'll only change to 19 if they delay his return until their home match with Brentford on Sunday, a match that even if he has a rusty nightmare they'll probably still win.

I'd imagine the sniff of a trophy has become more of a factor for Klopp, and you couldn't blame him too much for that, especially with the league situation. A positive result tonight and Kelleher might come back in for the 2nd leg, but if the tie is in the balance I wouldn't be so sure.

If they make the final it really would test the notion that "Caoimhin is the goalkeeper for this competition".

30. Thanks From:

Page 32 of 78 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast