Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1620

Thread: Caoimhín Kelleher GK Liverpool b.1998

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Just watched the highlights there. I was expecting some massive mistakes based on here and Twitter. Am I missing something? First goal, no chance. Second goal, yes didn’t get down and ball squirmed under him, would have been saved by most keepers, Alex McCarthy would have just let it go through his legs. Third goal, great finish. Perhaps his positioning could have been better? But not a clear error. And the fourth, I assume he should have had better positioning and opened too much of goal up to Armstrong? But again, nice finish. Not a drastic error.

So only one goal, where he should have clearly done better from what I saw. He made some good saves as well. And looking at his passes record, distribution seemed to be solid.

Am I missing something?
    The all important xg stats, the only way to judge a goalkeepers perfmormance on here this year.

2. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    748 Posts
    Thought he was poor enough for the first goal as well. Second was a clear mistake.

I think the concern is that it's probably not the kind of performance you'd expect from a £15m to £20m keeper hoping to be a Premier League first choice next season. He does seem to concede a lot of goals where you think - that's not an out and out disastrous mistake, but another keeper might have got to it. Added to his lack of playing time I could see a lot of clubs thinking he's one to pass on for now at the prices being quoted.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Disappointing performance. No catastrophic mistakes but Alisson would have definitely saved the first, second and fourth.

Saw the full second half and he made two decent interventions. Good single handed save but probably would have been slightly disappointed if they scored, and an excellent one where he was brave and pounced at the feet of the attacker…

On the subject of goalkeepers, Travers came out of today really well. From the highlights, he looked to have a performance similar to the ones that had Bournemouth raving about him last year.

5. Thanks From:

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    I watched the Everton/Bournemouth match, and Travers played really well. He made some great saves and what impressed me most was how confident he was on the ball when an Everton attacker closed him down. He's too good to sit on the bench next season, needs a move to a Championship club where he can play fifty times.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    I watched the Everton/Bournemouth match, and Travers played really well. He made some great saves and what impressed me most was how confident he was on the ball when an Everton attacker closed him down. He's too good to sit on the bench next season, needs a move to a Championship club where he can play fifty times.
    He could do exactly as you indicate - be the best Championship goalkeeper (again) while Kelleher is superglued to the Liverpool bench - and still find himself third choice for Ireland.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    The all important xg stats, the only way to judge a goalkeepers perfmormance on here this year.
    3.1 apparently - though really PSxG is generally only reverted to when people are denying a poor performance. No-one's doing that here.

Though even that shows that it wasn't a "desperate" performance as suggested. Alisson almost certainly would have stopped one, quite possibly two, and that's the difference a top keeper is worth.

Whoscored gave him a 6.6 rating which again isn't dreadful; he obviously had a couple of other saves to make in the game as elated mentions. (How Liverpool gave up so many chances to a dreadful Southampton side I don't know; it's why I suggested they were on summer holiday mode earlier)

He needs regular football which we all know. This game probably won't have added to his transfer value though, which you'd imagine will be annoying to Liverpool as they need a rebuild in the summer.

Travers was rated 7.5 incidentally. Nice little reminder he can still play a bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    I think he can do better for all four goals. The first two are down to lack of match sharpness imo, reaction speed is too slow. Just didn’t get down quick enough. His positioning is all wrong for 3 and 4, needs to be a step more central for the third goal, moved too far towards the end line for the fourth.

Disappointing from our perspective with the Greece game. Kenny can’t pick Bazunu or Kelleher with confidence, Travers had a good showing, but he has been put firmly behind Bazunu and Kelleher to date. Wonder if O’Leary is in consideration.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    748 Posts
    Fairly sure it will be Bazunu all the way for June. He made 32 Premier League appearances this season and while he was by no means outstanding, when they did drop him there was a notable drop off in standards to McCarthy I felt.

Kelleher remains in a position where his main international goalkeeping rival is 3 years younger and considerably more experienced than him. I don't think the order has changed at all between the three keepers in the last year.

11. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Fairly sure it will be Bazunu all the way for June. He made 32 Premier League appearances this season and while he was by no means outstanding, when they did drop him there was a notable drop off in standards to McCarthy I felt.

Kelleher remains in a position where his main international goalkeeping rival is 3 years younger and considerably more experienced than him. I don't think the order has changed at all between the three keepers in the last year.
    Kelleher has got to do something/go somewhere and show his hand over a season. If Travers regains his Bournemouth place (and performs well) or transfers to the Championship (and performs there like previously) then it's a two horse-race between him and Bazunu based on Championship form. A few Kelleher midweek cup games is not enough.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    3.1 apparently - though really PSxG is generally only reverted to when people are denying a poor performance. No-one's doing that here.

Though even that shows that it wasn't a "desperate" performance as suggested. Alisson almost certainly would have stopped one, quite possibly two, and that's the difference a top keeper is worth.

Whoscored gave him a 6.6 rating which again isn't dreadful; he obviously had a couple of other saves to make in the game as elated mentions. (How Liverpool gave up so many chances to a dreadful Southampton side I don't know; it's why I suggested they were on summer holiday mode earlier)

He needs regular football which we all know. This game probably won't have added to his transfer value though, which you'd imagine will be annoying to Liverpool as they need a rebuild in the summer.

Travers was rated 7.5 incidentally. Nice little reminder he can still play a bit.

Post shot xg is probably a fairer to judge a keeper on than normal xg. TBF to CK Allison is different level altogether, for me hes the best in the business. CK isnt anywhere near that level. Hope he moves on the in the summer, i do think he'll push for a move this time. The 3rd goal in particular was desperate from liverpool , the rest of the team had packed it in.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    Post shot xg is probably a fairer to judge a keeper on than normal xg.
    Yep - that's what I've been using here, just to confirm

16. Thanks From:

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Kelleher will be 25 in November too. Not old by any definition but another season with a single figure club game tally would be fairly disastrous for his development? Easy say with hindsight that he should have gone elsewhere (even on loan) this year but if he ends up staying put again for another 12 months... it wouldn't be encouraging.

I think he has to move if he is interested in playing. As per Wiki he's only played half as many games this season as last (8 v 4) and this season was his joint lowest since he made his debut. Hasn't been given a minute in Europe for two consecutive seasons now too?

I think he should bite the arm of any Championship club who'll have to be honest. He needs games.

18. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,691 Posts
    Looked like a classic “haven’t played in ages” performance, but I’d qualify that with a few comments – mainly that I think his positioning was suspect twice.

- One of the first half goals was very close to his feet. I always hated them, but I’m of a lankier build than CK. It’s much easier if the ball is wider as you can actually get down quicker. It didn’t look good but it maybe looked softer than it actually was?
    - But I thought his positioning was poor for the third and fourth goals.
    - I took a still from the telly for the third, the angle from behind the goal. The whole goal was open for the goalscorer to shoot at. Sure, a still can’t be taken in isolation but it looked really bad. Reminiscent of his positioning for the Batshuayi goal at home to Belgium imho.
    - For the fourth I think he “over-covered” the near post, leaving the far post wide open.

Last edited by tetsujin1979; 30/05/2023 at 3:06 PM. Reason: adding requested images

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,691 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    I think he can do better for all four goals. The first two are down to lack of match sharpness imo, reaction speed is too slow. Just didn’t get down quick enough. His positioning is all wrong for 3 and 4, needs to be a step more central for the third goal, moved too far towards the end line for the fourth.
    Agreed, I posted same without having read this

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I took a still from the telly for the third, the angle from behind the goal. The whole goal was open for the goalscorer to shoot at. Sure, a still can’t be taken in isolation but it looked really bad. Reminiscent of his positioning for the Batshuayi goal at home to Belgium imho.
    The Belgium goal is more a lack of alertness/ urgency on Kelleher’s part and the quality of the strike than a positioning issue imo. The Southampton goal is a positioning mess as your picture shows and not liking how small and narrow his body shape is in that picture. Compared to Travers, for example, who fills out the goals with his body shape, Kelleher tends to make himself small and gives up more of the goals to shoot at. He can do better, and needs to play to do better and improve, hopefully his two appearances in 2023 (Latvia + Southampton) don’t cool off potential moves.

23. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    748 Posts
    His positioning is wrong in both of those images. Worse in the Liverpool one definitely, but wrong in both. I think this kind of thing is a consequence of him never having found out and ironed out his weaknesses by playing games.

Realistically how many games that genuinely matter has Kelleher played in his career? By that I mean League games that weren't end of season dead rubbers, CL games that weren't dead rubbers, FA Cup games and competitive international games. I'd maybe count the league cup final as that probably mattered to Liverpool on the day, but most league cup games they don't actually care about- that's why he gets to play in them.

He has probably played about 10 or 12 of those games that actually matter in his whole career - four nations league games for Ireland when Bazunu was out and maybe seven or eight for Liverpool across his entire time there. It's clear his positioning within the goal is an issue, and there may well be others that will only be exposed once he finally becomes a first team goalkeeper somewhere, whenever that is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Is the positioning of his legs bad? I'm not a coach, so I don't know if this is correct or not, but I've seen coaching videos with goalkeepers where they're told if they're preparing to dive, or to move left or right quickly, they can't get the maximum use from their leg muscles if they're too close together. Of course, it could just be the photos, and he adjusted his stance before/after the photo was taken.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,691 Posts
    I don't know about his legs but his head is looking around his defender to the right while the ball was being shifted to his left. So not only was he in wrong position but his weight would have been slightly to the wrong side when the ball was struck.

I think the point about looking small in goals is true. I think it was elatedscum who made a similar point after being beaten in a 1:1 at Chelsea, albeit in a different context.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    748 Posts
    He does seem to stand very upright in the goal alright. I wonder does that leave him exposed to low shots, as it takes him a split second longer to get down to them then, he definitely seems to have a weakness with them anyway. That split second can be the difference for a keeper really.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Looked like a classic “haven’t played in ages” performance, but I’d qualify that with a few comments – mainly that I think his positioning was suspect twice.

- One of the first half goals was very close to his feet. I always hated them, but I’m of a lankier build than CK. It’s much easier if the ball is wider as you can actually get down quicker. It didn’t look good but it maybe looked softer than it actually was?
    - But I thought his positioning was poor for the third and fourth goals.
    - I took a still from the telly for the third, the angle from behind the goal. The whole goal was open for the goalscorer to shoot at. Sure, a still can’t be taken in isolation but it looked really bad. Reminiscent of his positioning for the Batshuayi goal at home to Belgium imho.
    - For the fourth I think he “over-covered” the near post, leaving the far post wide open.
    You're well proportioned, not lanky.

29. Thanks From:

Page 56 of 81 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast