Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 31 of 78 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Caoimhín Kelleher GK Liverpool b.1998

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Kelleher is better dressed in black gear or dark grey dark blue ....they couldnt target the keeper
    no red yellow they know where he is

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Those two games were in October, he's played 13 games since then (2 for Ireland, 11 for Portsmouth), keeping nine clean sheets (v Bolton, Harrow, Lincoln, Gillingham, Sheffield Wednesday, Morecambe, and Cambridge for Portsmouth, V Portugal and Luxembourg for Ireland), and hasn't conceded more than once in a game since Accrington scored twice on Saturday, 23rd October.

Anyone who's watched him since then would say he's improved since those two games against Rotherham and Ipswich in October.
    Imagine that a 19 year can actually improve... who would have thunk it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    There's some who would say the opposite

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Based on some of the nonsense thats being spouted on here there are a few alright

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    [citation needed]

6. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    One point on Bazunu is he wears dark clothing as a keeper, also makes sense, Kelleher too, they were well schooled by someone like the irish version of Bilardo, you cant leave any detail out. I Remember Alan Kelly used awful goalkeepers jerseys, easy target. Dean Kiely was another dude who used darker goalkeeping clothing as Bonner , dont remember for Given

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Pretty sure all players wear the jerseys they're told to wear
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Pretty sure all players wear the jerseys they're told to wear
    yeah it could be that one, did i tell you the story about the Le Coq Sportif marine blue jersey vs England in 1986? do you know the story? thats Bilardo, he never left any tiny detail at luck, as a medicine doctor he was always on the details, he won the world cup and almost a consecutive one

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    1986. La historia de la camiseta azul contra los ingleses | El Gráfico (elgrafico.com.ar)

El secreto de la remera azul argentina ante Inglaterra en México '86 - Con números de la NFL - YouTube

La increíble Historia de la CAMISETA de ARGENTINA �� (Mundial México 1986) - YouTube

he wanted openwork collars, or V neck for the jerseys for the players to have a better breathing in Mexico because of the high place, and the french company gave them blue lovely jerseys but with rounded neck collars, he said the players couldnt breath there ..

Jack Charlton was another guy who would never leave anything out of thought

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Just when ya thought things couldn't get any weirder on here!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Kelleher could play every game for Ireland - Achterberg

Liverpool goalkeeping coach John Achterberg believes that Caoimhin Kelleher "could play every game for Ireland" as his development into a top class shot-stopper continues apace...
    Full article [rte.ie]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979
    Those two games were in October, he's played 13 games since then (2 for Ireland, 11 for Portsmouth), keeping nine clean sheets (v Bolton, Harrow, Lincoln, Gillingham, Sheffield Wednesday, Morecambe, and Cambridge for Portsmouth, V Portugal and Luxembourg for Ireland), and hasn't conceded more than once in a game since Accrington scored twice on Saturday, 23rd October.

Anyone who's watched him since then would say he's improved since those two games against Rotherham and Ipswich in October.
    I'm sure he has improved, he's not been short of chances. Evidence was asked, and it was provided. The fact is if he makes those errors against that level of opposition, then he's capable of similiar when he's playing for us, or worse. There's lots more room to hide your errors in L1, than the glare of the top level of international football. His age is an irrelevance. If he's old enough to hold the shirt, he's old enough to be held accountable.

Kelleher got to see what it's like to face L1 standard against Shrewsbury. He did everything he had to do and the game was a walkover. Better still, he's had a run of games recently, to satisfy those who insist that we don't see enough of him.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    Actually what you said was that when he loses possession it's a goal. That's what you were asked to back up. The mistakes were there for all to see, as has been the reaction to those mistakes.

He's not been sort of chances, that's true. That's because he's been playing games and a manager who sees him week in week out decided to retain him and his decision has been rewarded with a string of strong performances.

At the level we need him to play at - international football- he has done very well. His saves from Mitrovic and in Luxembourg were simply excellent. I think the 4 points we got from those games would have been hard to achieve without them.

We've now seen, what, 3 or 4 games recently from Kelleher. So far so good. 6 goals conceded mind you.

15. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Actually what you said was that when he loses possession it's a goal. That's what you were asked to back up.
    I think just to add to that, he made two bad mistakes in Portugal - a loose pass which led to the penalty, and a fumble of a fairly tame shot. He saved the penalty and the fumble hit the post. So there are clear instances where he has lost possession and it hasn't led to a goal. You could even argue his recovery to claim the loose ball off the post is exactly the sort of recovery he's crediting Kelleher with.

Like you though, I won't hold my breath waiting for mypost to acknowledge he's wrong.

17. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Only one of them kept a clean sheet against Shrewsbury recently.

It's funny reading back over this thread. There's absolutely 0 anti Kelleher sentiment. None at all. If you read the least few pages you'd think there were knives out for him. It's a long thread monitoring the progress of a young Irish keeper. The general feeling seems to have been that he wasn't setting the world alight in PL2, league cup or Irish U-21 games but looked promising. Mistakes were being made but people accepted that at his age. That changes when he plays against Ajax in the CL and people seem to see a big improvement. I'd say that gives weight to the argument that training with Liverpool is as good as playing at a lower level but maybe we will see the same jump from Bazunu at age 21/22. The good reports carry through his next few senior appearances until the overall take is that he should be at least #2 for Ireland and was potentially a better choice than Randolph at that time. Most people thought he needed a move to stake a claim as first choice somewhere but he signed a new contract at Liverpool instead. Then Bazunu sort of explodes on to the scene and Kelleher is unfortunate to miss his chance to be #1.

A few posters who hitched their wagons to Kelleher now seem to need to criticize Bazunu despite apparently not watching him play for club or country. Maybe it's just anti-Kenny sentiment bubbling up. There's always an obviously better player the manager is blanking due to incompetence. Of course Kenny had Kelleher for the u-21s and clearly rates him so that doesn't really hold water. He knows him better than we do. Kelleher will get his chance for Ireland if/when Bazunu slips up or gets injured. He looks more than capable of holding on to it but I wouldn't write off Bazunu's chances of improving in the meantime either.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    does the amount of clean sheets in recent games for Bazunu mean he hasn't lost possession in any of those games?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Come on tets, let's stay on topic. This is a Kelleher thread, not a shooting mypostfish in a barrel thread.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    https://punditarena.com/football/and...azunu-ireland/

Shay Given joins the anti-Kelleher brigade.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I think just to add to that, he made two bad mistakes in Portugal - a loose pass which led to the penalty, and a fumble of a fairly tame shot. He saved the penalty and the fumble hit the post. So there are clear instances where he has lost possession and it hasn't led to a goal. You could even argue his recovery to claim the loose ball off the post is exactly the sort of recovery he's crediting Kelleher with.

Like you though, I won't hold my breath waiting for mypost to acknowledge he's wrong.
    I think you might be taking it a bit literally. I think we all know it was a daft claim.

Yes, he made errors and yes he rode his luck. He also made some really great saves at key times in big games. We all agree that.

ontheotherhand is bang on though. There's no agenda against Kelleher and no need for any positive Kelleher comment to be accompanied by a criticism of Bazunu. There's only an anti-bullsh1t agenda. Forensic analysis of either's performance will show good and bad. It's what you'll expect with young goalkeepers.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I think you might be taking it a bit literally. I think we all know it was a daft claim.
    Yeah - just sometimes I guess the best way to highlight really a daft claim is to take it literally and show it's not true. I think the combination of what you've said and what I've said and what tets has said should really put what mypost said to bed, but...

Page 31 of 78 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast