Page 38 of 81 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Caoimhín Kelleher GK Liverpool b.1998

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    544 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    No one has an agenda. Everyone on here is an Ireland fan who wants to see all Irish players do well. Some of us however would like to see him play more than 5 games per year at his age and think its not good for his development that he plays so little football when he is obviously a very good keeper.
    It’s a strange one alright, cause on one hand, he’s only played 6 games this season but on the other, his starts against Chelsea and Arsenal are the two highest profile of any Irish player this season. Would we be more impressed with Bazunu’s loan spell or if he was getting first team minutes for City? Trouble for Liverpool is, until Pitaluga or Jaros or Orzinski improve, there’s no inbuilt replacement who is anywhere close to Kelleher’s level. And if they can sell him for 15-25m then they’d need to spend similar to replace him.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Thought he did very well tonight with what he had to do - in most of the games I've seen him play he seems to pull off at least one top-class save and tonight was no exception - I don't think I've ever seen Allisson make a save as good as what Kelleher did from that free-kick. Also dealt well with the weird/tricky one from a tight angle in the second half. Got a decent punch on a really good corner and fortunately didn't face any once-in-a-career worldie netbusters, for a change. I will comment on his distribution - I have downplayed that in the past but I have noticed a couple of things about it recently. Tonight he showed a good range of passing, never putting his defenders in a tight spot - and what I particularly noticed, though, was that he had a keen sense of when the Arsenal Press was making playing out too risky, deciding to go long whenever that happened

I do still agree with those who believe he could do with a 40-game season next year, even if it is at League One - I think it will help him sharpen the tools he already has - Travers and Bazunu both had wobbles early on, but after more than 60 senior games each, they both look rock solid and ready to fulfil the potential we hope and think they have
    Last edited by samhaydenjr; 21/01/2022 at 2:26 AM.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Playing in league 1 is of 0 benefit to him now.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    I'm i the only person on this planet that thinks Allison is over rated?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    Playing in league 1 is of 0 benefit to him now.
    Absolutely not a chance he goes to league 1 . I can't understand what the criticism of him on corners and crosses last night is about he dealt with a difficult corner very well with a strong punch and everything else was straightforward for him. What do people want? I would think liverpool will loan him to a top flight club hopefully abroad for a few season s and have him come back as Allison's direct replacement somewhat like what chelsea did with courtois

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I think from what klopp said he meant, there wasn't anything out of context. Allison was lacking match practice and needs game time, with the premier League and bigger things to focus on. That's proven the case tonight that he got that and the weekend and now kellehers back in.
    Evidently so, thankfully. I was wrong in thinking the comments about him being the 'goalkeeper for this competition' were mere lip service. But that's what happens sometimes, when people are silly enough to predict something in advance, rather than wait for the outcome and post like they knew all along.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    I'm i the only person on this planet that thinks Allison is over rated?
    No. I've said before here that he's far from the best keeper in the world like many say he is but he is a very good "big club" keeper. Some very good keepers have made a monumental mess of trying to be goalkeeper at a big club.

I thought Kelleher was very assured again last night. Very good save early on, read the game well and kept the ball ticking over without any fuss during open play and swept well on one occasion.

I think he's a world apart from the keeper he was a year ago. He looked like a rookie keeper afraid to make mistakes in previous seasons whereas now I think he looks like he knows he belongs at a high level. I don't know how many ex-keepers here had the same experience but when I played I had spells where I really didn't want anything tricky to do as my confidence was low, but equally there were spells where I'd want my defenders to make mistakes or i'd want forwards to shoot as I was feeling great and desperate to be involved more. I think Kelleher really looks now like he wants to show how good he is whereas in the past I felt his objective was to not mess up.

I think there was one highly disingenuous post on the previous page "what will people be complaining about now?" Ridiculous. Nobody has been complaining about anything. Assessment and criticism are different things.

I wouldn't go overboard praising him for the second half tip over with both hands. That was routine - but sure, he did it well. And I don't think it was a particularly good corner that he dealt with, but deal with it he did.

I have reservations about him on high balls because in previous years he hasn't convinced me so I retain a nagging doubt that it's a strong part of his game. It'll remain so until proven otherwise. If you'd have asked me a few weeks ago how was Ramsdale under high balls I'd have said superb, but in recent weeks he has flapped and misjudged. Overall I think Ramsdale was poor last night despite generally being excellent this season, especially the attitude and swagger he brings to the shirt. I'd love to see Kelleher get as lengthy a run of games just to satisfy my curiosity as to what he's capable of. I think we already know he brings a coolness and calmness to his defence and generally looks like he believes in himself. That's brilliant to have. I have no doubt he's ready to do a job for Ireland but I'm still reserving judgment on just what standard he is at right now until there are more observation points.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post

I do still agree with those who believe he could do with a 40-game season next year, even if it is at League One - I think it will help him sharpen the tools he already has - Travers and Bazunu both had wobbles early on, but after more than 60 senior games each, they both look rock solid and ready to fulfil the potential we hope and think they have
    League 1

Why not just send him to LoI to toughen him up?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I don't know how many ex-keepers here had the same experience but when I played I had spells where I really didn't want anything tricky to do as my confidence was low, but equally there were spells where I'd want my defenders to make mistakes or i'd want forwards to shoot as I was feeling great and desperate to be involved more.
    Very much been there!

Goalkeepers are different alright

Agree with others that if Kelleher can go to Stamford Bridge and be Liverpool's best player, then a spell in League One would be of no interest; he's better where he is.

Now if (hypothetically) Newcastle with their Saudi millions were to make an offer, that would be a different prospect alright. Finding the right time to leave is going to be tricky though. It's a really unfortunate position he's in in a way.

12. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    The guy has a credible chance of being Liverpool's keeper which would be a silly thing to give up. He'd almost be better as number 3 and going on loan like Johnstone did at WBA, a yoyo club. I think it's hard for us to advise him not knowing what Liverpool's real long term plan is for him. The high praise could be taken at face value or it could be a means of getting a few quid extra for him when they sell him. I think they do genuinely rate him though.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    He is getting a lot of coverage here for a reserve team goalkeeper !

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    One point to make is the man while being a reserve keeper does hold a champions league winners medal. Why surrender stuff like that to start at Rochdale.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    To improve his chances of getting a second such medal I guess.

(Not the Rochdale part, but there'll come a time he'll have to make a call)

17. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    https://m.independent.ie/sport/socce...-41264238.html

I think he will only win medals where he is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    He is getting a lot of coverage here for a reserve team goalkeeper !
    hes a first team keeper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Very much been there!

Goalkeepers are different alright

Agree with others that if Kelleher can go to Stamford Bridge and be Liverpool's best player, then a spell in League One would be of no interest; he's better where he is.

Now if (hypothetically) Newcastle with their Saudi millions were to make an offer, that would be a different prospect alright. Finding the right time to leave is going to be tricky though. It's a really unfortunate position he's in in a way.

agreed on newcastle. wonder how many PL clubs would be looking for successors now. Leicester are one that spring to mind, again not sure would they even be looking at him but id imagine he'll peak the interest of any bottom half club should he come on the market. Having a keeper so assured with the ball at his feet is necessary in 2022.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Interesting piece and comments from Klopp. Looks like Liverpool would rather he stay around rather than going out on loan. I can understand that as he's obviously a very high quality cover for Alisson.

https://punditarena.com/football/rud...leher-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    agreed on newcastle. wonder how many PL clubs would be looking for successors now. Leicester are one that spring to mind, again not sure would they even be looking at him but id imagine he'll peak the interest of any bottom half club should he come on the market. Having a keeper so assured with the ball at his feet is necessary in 2022.

Depending on how the season goes I’d say Southampton and Watford would be 2 looking at an upgrade,McCarthy and Forster into their 30s and average enough keepers.

At Watford Ben Foster is 38 now and Bachman his back up isn’t great.
    Palace is another one that would be interesting,Guaita is 35 now and I’m not sure Butland has developed in to quite as good a keeper as was expected…
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

23. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    hes a first team keeper.
    Did anyone tell Allison and Klopp ?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received